Err
    Calm like a bomb

Self-contained DH shuttle system - sweet!

Check it, been working towards this setup for a while.

Carry my street legal KTM on the back of my truck, drop it at the bottom of a shuttle run. Drive up, ride down, use KTM to get back to truck. I can easily carry about 6 bikes and riders.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Drink heavily

Repeat, repeat, repeat...

clyde in training
    you can carry six bikes and riders on your ktm?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    you can carry six bikes and riders on your ktm?
    sure, one on each foot peg

squish is good
    I've seen alot of guys use this technique with mini-bikes! Great way to save some gas.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dude, that is brilliant!

I'm gonna look for a cheapo used 50cc to throw in the back of my truck.

I had another thought of using a horse as a shuttle rig. Ride it up and teach it to follow you back down!

gnar, brah
    And they say there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine...

Nice work dude, that looks like a party kit if I've ever seen one!
    Trestle Bike Park

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Dog
    Dude, that is brilliant!

I'm gonna look for a cheapo used 50cc to throw in the back of my truck.

I had another thought of using a horse as a shuttle rig. Ride it up and teach it to follow you back down!
    Horse shuttle is by far the superior shuttle system. That would be a real sight to see.

A cheap enduro bike would really work just fine. I'll be using the KTM for more than just a shuttle system or I could have gone with a real basic dual sport. Something street legal is key in case you have to drive on roads which accounts for almost all of our local shuttles.

biking is fun
    looks like fun man, now we don't have to drive my wife's beater truck up to the start of empire. i don't think it had too many of those trips left in it.
    now we just need the snow to melt so we can try it out.

by the way. i just got my BR all done. i want to come over and weigh it. is the pump track up and going too? i want to do some riding.. im going nuts

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    looks like fun man, now we don't have to drive my wife's beater truck up to the start of empire. i don't think it had too many of those trips left in it.
    now we just need the snow to melt so we can try it out.

by the way. i just got my BR all done. i want to come over and weigh it. is the pump track up and going too? i want to do some riding.. im going nuts
    Pump track is pretty darn close, I've ridden it a little but these late season storms keep messing it up. We'll have to hookup next week and weigh that beast, headed to Virgin in a bit to ride for the weekend. Going to be the first time to try out the new shuttle system.

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Check it, been working towards this setup for a while.

Carry my street legal KTM on the back of my truck, drop it at the bottom of a shuttle run. Drive up, ride down, use KTM to get back to truck. I can easily carry about 6 bikes and riders.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Drink heavily

Repeat, repeat, repeat...

Can we be friends?

dirt visionary
    I use my quad for one of our 2hr downhill runs. Park the quad and lock it up at the bottom.Then ride down to it . Once down we pack the bikes on a homemade rack and off we go back up the mountain. For those times there is more riders I hook a trailer to the quad and can get 4 people and bikes up the mountain pretty quick.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    where do you live?

MY NIGGA!

mtbr member
    I dont know when this will actually happen but in around 10, 20, or 30 years we will not have to drive our cars anymore. They will drive themselves. We already have some cars built that drive without a driver. Im sure there will be some way to set up the car so that it drives down by itself to the end of the trail is.

Flying Goat
    wow... thats a pretty good system you got going on there... can we be friends? XD

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    wow... thats a pretty good system you got going on there... can we be friends? XD
    Titan, KTM, Intense SS... He's already my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    damn it and i just sold my mini. i never thought of doing that either. maybe its time to buy another and do all the street legal mods to it.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Isn't that an F250?

If you're taking multiple people and doing multiple runs why don't you just do odd-man out shuttles? Always quicker. For solo runs I've seen that work really well. My whole take on that has been: just go ride the dirt bike, a LOT. That's too much effort for one shuttle run when it probably just as fast to hike up anyway.

Full size truck though man, bike's gotta go inside it....those moto racks are for FJ Cruisers and minivans.

I'm liking the KTM. I am thinking the 450 EXC might be my next bike once I get good at working on 4 strokes. My 200 EXC hauls plenty of ass at the moment.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    Soo Many Toys!!!

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    I want to be Tony when I grow up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Isn't that an F250?
    No. It's a Titan. (As Uncle Cliffy said)

mtbr member
    hell yea dude nice set-up, i have an 07 titan. i dont think people really know how fast those trucks really are... mine keeps up with my buddies SRT-10. smokes hemi's, fords and chevy's. Anddddd i paid way less then all of them haha.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

_
    word yo i'm thinking about doing this with an electric golf cart (hopefully with the governer removed) and a truck when i get older. with an electric golf cart... you only have to worry about the gas your truck is burning!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Isn't that an F250?

If you're taking multiple people and doing multiple runs why don't you just do odd-man out shuttles? Always quicker. For solo runs I've seen that work really well. My whole take on that has been: just go ride the dirt bike, a LOT. That's too much effort for one shuttle run when it probably just as fast to hike up anyway.

Full size truck though man, bike's gotta go inside it....those moto racks are for FJ Cruisers and minivans.

I'm liking the KTM. I am thinking the 450 EXC might be my next bike once I get good at working on 4 strokes. My 200 EXC hauls plenty of ass at the moment.
    Nope it's a Titan.

The runs that we were doing this weekend involve lengthy shuttles, and would suck big time for the odd-man-out. Even with unloading and reloading the KTM (15 min) total not that big of a deal when I was easily able to shave off around 10 mins of the drive time up due to being able to haul a$$ compared to cars/trucks who have to drive pretty slow on the roads we were on. Hiking back would not be a viable option beyond an emergency situation with the rides that we were doing this particular weekend.

Most of the time when we have a bunch of guys there are 2 pickups and that will be the preferred shuttle method. But when it's just me, me and the wifey, or 1 other bro, the KTM solves the shuttle issue.

Putting the dirt bike in the bed of the truck makes no sense at all most of the time since I'm also carrying bikes and camping gear. The hitch rack is out of the way and easier to load/unload.

Yep, the 450 EXC hauls butt. The torque is almost retarded you can be lugging along and still roosting. It'll see plenty of street (tagged), trail, and dual sport use in addition to being a shuttle machine. Sure to get lots of use out of it. That 200 EXC is a sweet ride and if I could have put a tag on one, I prob would have gone that route. But there are several shuttles around here where being street legal is absolutely necessary.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    I want to be Tony when I grow up...
    Nah, it comes with the nasty financial burden of being addicted to toys.

Just roll it......
    Nice setup, Toni!

I've got some buddies with dual sports that they use for scouting build locations, but they've never done this trick before. Heard of the use of pit bikes before, but this takes it to a new level. Pure sickness.

EB

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    I use my quad for one of our 2hr downhill runs. Park the quad and lock it up at the bottom.Then ride down to it . Once down we pack the bikes on a homemade rack and off we go back up the mountain. For those times there is more riders I hook a trailer to the quad and can get 4 people and bikes up the mountain pretty quick.

whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on! You've been holding out mang. Where do you have a 2 hour DH run!?
    JRA

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on! You've been holding out mang. Where do you have a 2 hour DH run!?
    ferndell to Sixshooter and down. Minus the 30min of combined hike a bike.So more like 1 1/2 hrs.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Am I missing something here? You drop the motorcycle at the bottom. How do you bring the bikes back to the top to repeat another run? And you say you can carry numerous bikes how do you get them back to the top? On the motorcycle? NOT! Even if you could Carrie the bikes on the motorcycle to get to the top. You would be at the top with the motorcycle the truck and the bikes. Hmmmm you ride the bikes down and then you still have to climb the bikes back up to get to the two vehicles. Way too much crack dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Am I missing something here? You drop the motorcycle at the bottom. How do you bring the bikes back to the top to repeat another run? And you say you can carry numerous bikes how do you get them back to the top? On the motorcycle? NOT! Even if you could Carrie the bikes on the motorcycle to get to the top. You would be at the top with the motorcycle the truck and the bikes. Hmmmm you ride the bikes down and then you still have to climb the bikes back up to get to the two vehicles. Way too much crack dude.
    1. Leave motorcycle at bottom
    2. Drive truck with bikes to top
    3. Leave truck at top and ride down
    4. Ride the motorcycle to the top
    5. Grab the truck with the motorcycle attatched and pick up the riders

Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail
    1. Leave motorcycle at bottom
    2. Drive truck with bikes to top
    3. Leave truck at top and ride down
    4. Ride the motorcycle to the top
    5. Grab the truck with the motorcycle attatched and pick up the riders
    Then you still have to drive back down leave the motorcycle then drive back up in the truck. Dude my head is spinning this is wayyyyy to much work. What is different about this than having just two trucks? Nothing! In fact it would be less of a hassle with two trucks.
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

squish is good
    Thats how shuttle days go for me. We almost never run bikes up when retrieving the car. Usually theres anywhere from 8-15 guys on our Sunday runs so we have to bring up 2 or more trucks per run and usually leave a smaller vehicle at the bottom.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Then you still have to drive back down leave the motorcycle then drive back up in the truck. Dude my head is spinning this is wayyyyy to much work. What is different about this than having just two trucks? Nothing! In fact it would be less of a hassle with two trucks.
    You bring the motorcycle with you when you pick up the riders, and you drop it off at the bottom. Once you finish step 5 you go right back to step 1. You're overthinking this

Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail
    You bring the motorcycle with you when you pick up the riders, and you drop it off at the bottom. Once you finish step 5 you go right back to step 1. You're overthinking this
    Not really, this makes no more sense than using two trucks. Either way you have two vehicles one of which holds numerous riders and the other [motorcycle] holds one or two. IMO why not just use two trucks that both hold numerous riders. What is the advantage of using a motorcycle and one truck versus two trucks? In fact by using a motorcycle you are leaving the riders at the bottom waiting on you to ride the motorcycle to the top and get the truck and drive down to retreive them.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-07-2008 at 05:07 PM.

dirt visionary
    I think It's a good plan when no other riders own a truck.

AKA shitbird
    ferndell to Sixshooter and down. Minus the 30min of combined hike a bike.So more like 1 1/2 hrs.
    Oh yeah. Duh? It's been too long. Gotta get back there, last time I was there we were riding in the snow and ice.
    JRA

i drink shower water
    I think It's a good plan when no other riders own a truck.
    thats what i am thinking... but it doesnt save gas does it? why not just have one of the riders sit out a run and drive the truck. thats what we do.

i can totally understand if you are out by yourself tho, it seems like a good idea. maybe ill get a mini for when i want to DH alone.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sorry guys, thought this was painfully obvious.

Two trucks are almost always most convenient

The dirt bike is for solo shuttles or when just me and the wifey are out shuttling. Its all about not having to rely on anyone else to get a shuttle run in. It's most useful when just the two of us drive 4 or 5 hours from home to ride DH and are not planning to meet up with anyone else. This accounts for quite a bit of our riding. YMMV

Look at the time!
    Not really, this makes no more sense than using two trucks.
    What part of "SELF CONTAINED" didn't you understand?
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

i drink shower water

The dirt bike is for solo shuttles or when just me and the wifey are out shuttling. Its all about not having to rely on anyone else to get a shuttle run in. It's most useful when just the two of us drive 4 or 5 hours from home to ride DH and are not planning to meet up with anyone else. This accounts for quite a bit of our riding. YMMV
    got it! i figured it was for solo riding. thats a good idea and like i said i might get a mini for that reason.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

maker of trail

I really think three trucks are a much better idea.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    I really think three trucks are a much better idea.
    Are you from Iraq?

[QUOTE=lelebebbel]What part of "SELF CONTAINED" didn't you understand?[/QUOT]
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    OK "SELF CONTAINED" that would be the only pro about it. Driving one vehicle to your destination. But it sounds like more of a hassle - unloading the motorcycle, loading the motorcycle, unloading the motorcycle, loading the motorcycle, unloading the motorcycle, and then at the end of the day loading the motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wow You Have Cool Toys. Odd Man Out Is The Fastest Way To Get Thru The Cycle. Your System Adds One Trip Up And One Down Per Run.
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

Trent the Bent
    Oct 2004

I plan on doing the same thing for my rig

I like the idea, I've had it on the drawing board for a while now. I've got a bit bigger rig though

I want to mount a Suzuki SV650 to the front, I know it's not rated for dirt but most of the rides we do take several hours to get down with large groups. The Plunge, Just Outstanding, Sand Canyon. So one ride is all we get a day, then it's off to the brew pub. a retrace up the paved road is no big deal to recover Lola the bus. I just ask that several rounds will be saved for me when I show up, and that someone else drives Lola home so I can sleep it off in the back.

Mountain Lion Bait
    You leaving your mountain bike at the bottom of the run or what? I'm just trying to visualize you getting your mountain bike back to the top on your KTM.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by renderedtoast
    You leaving your mountain bike at the bottom of the run or what? I'm just trying to visualize you getting your mountain bike back to the top on your KTM.
    Dirtbike gets locked to a tree, pole, or other large stationary object in most cases. It also has a keyed ignition and a fork lock. At the bottom of my run, if I'm completely alone, the cable lock used to lockup the Dirtbike is used to lock up my MTB. If another person is with me, they guard the bikes. I then ride up to the top, load the dirbike on the rack and drive back down to my MTB.

I have seen rack setups to haul a bicycle on a dirbike but at this point that seems overkill.

It takes about 5 minutes at a leisurely pace to unload the dirbike and lock it up. It takes about 10 minutes, again at a leisurely pace, to load it back on the rack. On rough dirt roads, this time is somewhat offset in that I can ride the dirtbike much faster than you can/should drive a truck.

Glad to Be Alive
    i thought there was no drinking in UTAH
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

squish is good
    It makes sense to me... I'm not sure what the disconnect here is. Maybe DIRTJUNKIE has figured out a way to do a solo shuttle with one vehicle utilizing magic pixie dust or something... there a website you can get some of that dude?
    Bike good, work bad.

maker of trail
    Are you from Iraq?
    Thats a bit harsh

mtbr member
    why not rotating driver seat?

6 riders = 5 Dhs + 1 driver

easier...
    less consuption...

I don`t say drop the KTM! toys are toys...
    and the difference between man and children... is the price of toys!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul
    why not rotating driver seat?

6 riders = 5 Dhs + 1 driver

easier...
    less consuption...

tony fell one too many times......lool
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    It makes sense to me... I'm not sure what the disconnect here is. Maybe DIRTJUNKIE has figured out a way to do a solo shuttle with one vehicle utilizing magic pixie dust or something... there a website you can get some of that dude?
    No disconnect here, nowhere did he mention that this was meant for a SOLO excursion. He repeatedly said he would drop off the riders and continue on to pick them up. My argument was that it makes no "better" sense to use a motorcycle and a truck versus two trucks. For a SOLO run, sure it would work great if you could mount the bike on to the motorcycle. Or ditch the bike in the bushes and come back for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0