Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Seen this yet? Crazy!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Its not joke, BS like that gets spread by that publication far too often.

Basically they think guns kill people, not the person squeezing the trigger.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Unpredictable
    That was written in a mountain bike mag? What sort of dipshit rider/journo thinks like this? The gun analogy is pretty correct. I seriously doubt that any bike has ever attacked anyone of its own free will? As an owner of a bike that fits the general description, maybe I have the wrong brand because it has not transformed me into Greg Minaar, not even on the traverses!

Locs on Spokez
    Mountain Bike Fiction strikes again
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Wow, this is why I don't miss reading MBA....typical Californian way of thought.

Yeah let's ban every style of mountain biking, and maybe...just maaaaybe one day a bikepark will get build around the greater San Diego area for "gravity or black diamond bikes" to be ridden on.

Absurd.
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

Now with More Wood
    Well, so much for the "protesting" and what not from back when they first came up with their "cunning plan":

Downhill bike ban/exclusion proposal - pinnacle of stupidity

Seems they are not ready to let this go. But what are they going to do with bikes like the new Stumpy Evo? That thing probably rips harder than a "black diamond" bike from a few years back. As time goes on, their plan becomes EVEN MORE STUPID and impossible to implement.

Oh and it gets better: the DH pic they used to illustrate this latest article actually has a 6" bike in it. Just makes that point about how hard these bikes can go...

mtbr member
    This would be like Car and Driver magazine calling out a ban on all sports cars from public roads..... "Any yahoo could buy a race car and drive like an idiot...."

MBA is a joke if you don't know that already...
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

Look at the time!
    First of all, nothing has been banned. This is just an editorial trying to stir up some sh!t.

It is a print magazine, a dying breed. They have to try everything to get people's attention, even if it means stabbing fellow riders/readers in the back with an editorial like that.

This is nothing but a lame, treacherous publicity stunt, and the worst part is that it might just work.
    I bet the October issue will sell like hotcakes compared to their usual print run. I'll also bet that Mr. McIlvain will be out of a job in a few years regardless.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, that is the biggest load of BS. This guy thinks pretty highly of himself, instead of enforcing rules lets make more laws and blanket screw everyone.
    "Bad spellers of the world untie!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If this were true, the first place you would probably hear about it would be on major mtb sites, like mtbr, pinkbike etc, the second place you'd hear about it is on tv, becasue news gets updated everyday, not on a monthly basis like bike mags, the bike mag would be the last place you'd hear news of that nature.
    Yeah its a bold move to sell more issues, but the dikhead does not realise what kind of damage he is doing/done to their reputation.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Stupid mag, for noobs... I'm not surprised, but still disgusted.

humber river advocate
    thats an old article from last year i think...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    In CA, most of the good DH trails are illegal anyways. Does the author want a government agent to measure bike travel at the top of trails?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    thats an old article from last year i think...
    Nope, this is another version of that article, being published now. The thread I linked to was from last year...

Goon de Saint Goonery
    Jul 2009
    2) More existing and potential trails would become available or proposed for mountain biking.
    No, not really.
    4) Damage caused by off-trail riding would decrease.
    No, because we wouldn't be allowed on trails anymore.
    5) Sales of the designated gravity bikes would decrease while sales of trail and cross-country bikes would increase.
    How is this a good thing?
    6) Progressive land managers looking to boost attendance in their jurisdiction would develop and designate gravity-specific trails that would become wildly popular destinations.
    They don't know anything about downhill, therefore they can't make downhill trails.
    7) More bike parks would open.
    8) Gravity bike sales would increase because riders would have legal places to ride them.
    Once again not true. Also, they just said downhill bike sales would decrease.
    10) Riders who thrive on the rush of gravity could do so without threat of legal action or fines, and they would have much better terrain to practice their skills on.
    We already can. They're the ones trying to stop it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    isn't this violating the old saying its the rider not the bike? i know people who crawl around on dh rigs no matter what trail they are riding, and then there are dudes that can rukus any trail on hardtail...

Perpetual Hack
    What a fvcking dooche
    Yup, everytime I take my one and only '7" Black-Diamond' bike for a spin on the local MUT with my 8 year old, I must be shredding everything I see.

I guess I just can't ride it unless I'm pinned to the max, even in the flat XC land in which I live. I guess I'll just have to drive the 4 hours to the Lift Assist hill every time I want to go for a ride, even if I just want to have an easy trail ride, or heaven forbid ride with my sons. They will be corrupted by the parental unit riding a big bike

Think of the Children!!!!

Sure, many of us can afford a second, third or # bike all for various purposes, but for many others of us getting one single good bike is a challenge. When you have to choose only one, people tend to buy something that can take all of the terrain they like to ride, so they end up riding a 6" AM+ type bike on everything available.

Better to be out on the one bike then be banned to sitting in front of the TV scarfing Doritos.

I am no longer wondering why RC left MBA. I guess he wanted to breathe without having to move piles of BS to be able to...

And again this POS ASSumes everybody who rides a big bike lives in the US....

This rag is no longer fit to even wipe my azz.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    I think they're just trying to sell more magazines in the downward spiral of print media. I ride a 46 pound, 9 inch travel bike regularly, XC, DH, even on the paved multi-use paths. This proposal would not allow me to spin a "road ride" on my Foes Fly bike for fitness training, even on the paved bike paths. Maybe we should propose banning these black diamond bikes on the public highways as well? "Yeah, I want to go for a road ride on my black diamond bike, but I have to go to Laguna Seca Raceway to do that."

What a joke. I've seen fully geared DH guys walking down sections of multi-use trails where other guys with no armor on hardtails rip the same section.

Is there a Facebook page to ban MBA from printing such dribble? It's like they're in East Germany or something and the Stasi are after them....

Edited for Stasi misspelling....
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

Perpetual Hack
    I've got it figured out.

B-Mac is a Sierra Club plant.
    Divide and conquer...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some times (quite often TBH) I'm happy I don't live in the States. Honestly, WTF!?!
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Eh, don't get too worked up. He is in charge of generating ad dollars, and you do that by having people click on a link or buy a magazine. Good job on his part in that regard.

I read the editorial before I saw this post and knew it would create a stir. I actually thought he made a couple good points. I'm not for banning bikes, but my reasoning is that its a slippery slpe with these land managers. If you agree to ban 8" bikes it's not long before they whittle away more and more and more. So, no, I don't agree with his approach but he's trying to take a proactive, albeit controversial, approach to saving trail access for the majority. Every battle has collateral damage, if eliminating the 8" bike keeps the trail open for ALL others it would be better than losing access entirely.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Now with flavor!!
    The really funny part about that is that on most mulituse trails.......they're mellow enough that a dh bike rolls way slower.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

RideDirt
    LOL a mountain bike magazine publishing this ? Oxy- Moron ... That cali bud must really be messing with him to write some nonsense like that lol ..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    if eliminating the 8" bike keeps the trail open for ALL others it would be better than losing access entirely.
    I very much appreciate that you're heart is in the right place, but I do not agree that this statement is correct.

Viewed in isolation, it may appear better to keep access to a trail for some than to lose it for all, but viewed as part of the big scheme of things, it is far far better to lose that trail entirely if it means that all mountain bikers continue to press for increased access everywhere. As soon as you begin limiting some bikes in some places, you lose the support of that part of the community.

Mountain biking in the US is already absurdly limited by various land managers. The last thing we need is to be fighting amongst ourselves - we must present a united front to the various ridiculous antis whom manage public land, and whom try to limit our sport.

Unpredictable
    You know, I read the link again and I don't know whether my disgust, anger, despair or desire for action is greatest. Unfortunately, this article can no longer justify a hanging.

As per another poster, I am not American. We (the rest) see the expansion of this type of political correctness as an example of the failing of our world. When it comes to someone in your own corner stabbing you in the back, something has to happen! To qualify this, being Australian I have the historical right to presume that what happens to you will happen to us in 10 years.

I still cannot believe what this drongo has written regardless of the benefits, personal, career or corporate marketing. The closest thing I can recall in my life was the deputy school mistress taking girls aside to measure their skirt lengths and check they were wearing the "appropriate" knickers (read panties or lack of if they were not "appropriate")! Just a guess, but the author is a small guy, with a marginal XC race background, at least one road bike, a very large car and a very small co@# ?

Someone suggested an internet site against the mag. I have no Facebook, Twitter or other modern and meaningful internet appendages, so can someone over there please start a campaign against this EX-MTB Mag and help save the rest of the free world? Please?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast