mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Searching for new DH rig Need advice

Hey I'm sure something like this has been here quite a bit. I am having my first season at a bike park and I'm so excited to go every time. Been riding a Trek Remedy all season. But I'm in search of my first DH bike at the age of 45. My local shop is a Trek store but $8k is out of my range for a bike. Specialized is also very pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions on the European stuff in the US now? YT, Commencal or Canyon?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

John

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Your shop should be able to order something cheaper... The Trek Session 8 is 4k for example. Each brand usually has a low, mid, high price point. I ride a Scott Gambler 720 which is in that 4k range but they also have the 730 that is in the 3k range and the 710 which is 7k, if I recall correctly.

How much are you looking to spend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaan View Post
    Your shop should be able to order something cheaper... The Trek Session 8 is 4k for example. Each brand usually has a low, mid, high price point. I ride a Scott Gambler 720 which is in that 4k range but they also have the 730 that is in the 3k range and the 710 which is 7k, if I recall correctly.

How much are you looking to spend?
    I just started the process. It looks like I'll be able to do close to 4k. You mentioned the Trek Session 8 for 4k. I'm seeing some other brands for 4k for carbon but similar in build specs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You can buy a brand new aluminum YT Tuesday for under $3k. Or, for your first bike, buying used is a great option. Find a nice bike for a fraction of what they cost new.

mtbr member
    YT TUES is a great deal for the $ no matter what build you go for.
    If you want a new DH rig, I'd put YT at the top of the list.
    No worries, no hassle and full warranty.

Used market has great options too and deals can certainly be found if you want to do the work.

May The Force Be With You
    some nice used platforms available on pinkbike.com .. no need to spend $4+k of a brand new bike when an older one for $2.5k and less will do the job. I got my 2011 Canfield Jedi for a little bit below $2k

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jenson has some left overs from different years. I just picked up a new 2016 GT Fury Elite for $1899. The tech rep on the phone was very helpful. Obviously you wouldn't be trying a bike out in person but it may save you a good amount. His name is Joey Claro at 951-300-2881. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting his info. Not affiliated with the company. I'm just a satisfied customer trying to pass along my experience. Tell him Jeff sent ya.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    YT TUES is a great deal for the $ no matter what build you go for.
    If you want a new DH rig, I'd put YT at the top of the list.
    No worries, no hassle and full warranty.

Used market has great options too and deals can certainly be found if you want to do the work.
    I got a deal on a 2015 Scott Gambler 710 for $2600. I've upgraded a few things, but still well below $3500 on it. It wasn't on my list to try, but I'm really happy with the bike and was much cheaper than getting a Giant Glory, even on the midrange.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I don't think there's any problem giving out info in PM, but I woudn't post the guys number on a forum...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    DH bikes depreciate faster than almost any other category of bike because of the assumption of abuse that they are subjected to. Unless you're set on buying a brand new bike and keeping it for a few years without worrying too much about resale, I'd strongly encourage looking at used options. You can find some 2016 bikes for a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    DH bikes depreciate faster than almost any other category of bike because of the assumption of abuse that they are subjected to. Unless you're set on buying a brand new bike and keeping it for a few years without worrying too much about resale, I'd strongly encourage looking at used options. You can find some 2016 bikes for a great deal.
    i'm with this guy! 926used Dh bikes on pinkbike for $800 - $3k between 2014 - 2017
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...rice=800..3000

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You cannot beat Commencal for price and specs. My kids has the Supreme v4.2 and I ride the Furious. Also, USA Commencal has great customer support.

Searching for new DH rig Need advice-img_0692.jpg

Searching for new DH rig Need advice-img_0180.jpg

looks sick!

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I got my Kona Operator 27.5 for just under $3k
    I like bikes