mtbr member
    Apr 2008

SDG Bel-Air Saddle

Crashed today after going down some steeps and broke my saddle off by snapping the Ti-rails right at the edge of the seatpost clamp.

The SDG Bel-Air RL saddle with Ti-rails, with its durable leather and ergonomic shape, was perfect while it lasted.

Now I'm looking to replace with the same one except that I can't decide if I should go with the same saddle with the Ti-rails like I had or try the one with the Cro-Mo rail.

Has anyone seen or used either? I don't care 'bout weight, just want durability. The Ti-rail version is lighter, I'm assuming, but is the Cro-mo version harder, tougher. Some of the cheaper steel rail saddles I've used have bent in the rear part of the rail, leaving a curve downward after where the seatpost (Thompson) clamps. I don't want that to happen again, but trying a Cro-mo version is compelling because it costs less.

Does anyone know if the seat upper materials are lesser quality in the Cro-mo version when compared to the Ti-rail? The leather in the Ti-rail version was soft and durable.
    Last edited by Aust95; 11-05-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Why not just do a crash replacement through SDG?

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrakt51
    Why not just do a crash replacement through SDG?
    sounds like a plan

your not the only one who likes your sdg saddle all my riding buddie have bel air st saddles (ibeam)
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's my favorite saddle for sure! Their website outlines product warranty but I didn't see any "crash replacement" policy. I'll call them tomorrow.

Is the ibeam post good? I hesitate on giving up the Thompson seatpost. Eventually, all of my saddles break at the rails. Maybe ibeam is a solution.
    Last edited by Aust95; 11-06-2009 at 05:04 AM.

ready to ride
    I like mine and i havnt heard anything really bad from anybody who owns one

you just have to make sure the clamp is nice and tight on the saddle or it might slip out ive personaly never had this prob but my budd changed to the carbon fiber one and diddnt clamp it down tight enough long story short when he sat down after his landing there was nothing but a post

dont worry we found the saddle and it has since been reatached
    N* = <3 <3]

Pivotal figure
    I've been running the I-Beam setup for years now with no major problems. The only thing I've noticed is a bit of play developing in the saddle after about a year of riding, easily fixed with bit of cloth tape for a shim. I've also broken 2 BelAir SL saddles in crashes but that one is super light (the nose area is the weak point). I tried out the new micro-adjust head and while it works fine I prefer the original version (still available). I just feel more comfortable with the bigger bolt.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Alutech hogdriver
    The only way I really know to kill a I-Beam Saddle is putting the seat post way to low and hucking big **** out of your big travel rig.

I have been bending or killing railed saddles for years, even killed seatposts (ok, race face deus it not exactly the most capable of its breed) but since i-beam:

no squeal, no creak, no noise. Just Silence! Disadvantage: I-Beam Seatposts do scratch easily.

Would still recommend it to anyone.

BTW - I am around 210 lbs. Bel Air ST Saddle + I-Beam Seatpost (classic, not micro)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone use the Cro-mo rail version? It's at least 20 dollars cheaper and in different colors and patterns than the Ti. I like some of the patterns more on the Cro-mo.