mtbr member

Schwalbe Wicked Will mounting direction?

What direction are people running these? The tire's marked rotation direction is opposite of the direction that I would think it would be run in. Any one who has run these, what did you do?

Thanks

mtbr member
    My buddy has those same tires...and yeah, the rotation looks backwards on them, but the recommended rotation works great! I rode his bike today, and those tires have got loads of traction...best tires i've ever rode! I would just stick with the recommended rotation if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    What direction are people running these? The tire's marked rotation direction is opposite of the direction that I would think it would be run in. Any one who has run these, what did you do?

Thanks
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

moaaar shimz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Nope.

Saw two Wicked Wills there, both being run the recommended direction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I run mine backwards. Been really happy with the tires so far though I'd like to try them the other way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I run the recommended direction and gooey front and rear. They roll surprisingly well for what they are. I have the FR version and ride them just about everywhere. It's my favorite tire combo out of butchers, clutches, and the minon fr. I bought 3 pairs when they were on chainlove a while back. Give them a shot.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
    Nope.

Saw two Wicked Wills there, both being run the recommended direction.
    wuuut

Last edited by tacubaya; 06-27-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    wuuut
    The Sicklines picture has the tire mounted backwards. The picture of the rider actually riding them shows them mounted the direction Schwalbe recommends.

OP: I run them the way they're marked, and they work pretty dang well. The treads "open up" in the direction of the rotation, and look "backwards" when compared to many other tires. I have heard some of the Yeti pro guys have tried running them backwards on the rear, but I can't confirm this nor do I know how well they work that way.

FYI, Schwalbe Nobby Nics and Fat Alberts also look "backwards" when mounted the correct way, and both of those tires work really well when run correctly.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    The Sicklines picture has the tire mounted backwards. The picture of the rider actually riding them shows them mounted the direction Schwalbe recommends.

OP: I run them the way they're marked, and they work pretty dang well. The treads "open up" in the direction of the rotation, and look "backwards" when compared to many other tires. I have heard some of the Yeti pro guys have tried running them backwards on the rear, but I can't confirm this nor do I know how well they work that way.

FYI, Schwalbe Nobby Nics and Fat Alberts also look "backwards" when mounted the correct way, and both of those tires work really well when run correctly.
    ^^^^^ this is correct.

"Chevrons" usually point towards the front of the bike when atop the tire, the WTB Weirwolf is an example. Schwalbe tires do the opposite.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post

Nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a Wicked Will (super soft compound) on my back. I am running it in the recommended direction. It does indeed look like it's on backward. It seems to stick like none other. Based on my experience run it the way Schwalbe recommends.

I'm with stupid
    I ran the rear backwards last weekend, it did pretty much everything i asked from it. I only ran it that way because i installed the tire on what "looked right" and noticed afterwards that i had it backwards. I was to lazy to pull it all off again and flip it the night before leaving town. I have not tried this tire on the front, i matched it with the muddy mary but i think i will try it front and rear at winterpark next weekend.

mtbr member
    I doubt you could tell the difference when running super soft compounds. The stickiness would most likely make up for what's technically better or worse.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    I just finished riding all last season running the FR version backwards on both ends and thought that was the best tire I've ever been on.
    Two weeks ago I replaced both and now run them in the recommended direction. Even better and a noticable difference with less rolling resistance on climbing.
    Bottom line: run them in the recommended direction.