Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

scare me! (whats your worst DH/FR injury, not crash)

as the tittle says, post the gnarliest injury that biking has given you! pics are much appreciated!!

-stay rad, Tyler

Pro Crastinator
    my worst was a broken hip. that ish sucked hard. for a few months, i thought that was gonna be the crash that ended my biking...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    my worst was a broken hip. that ish sucked hard. for a few months, i thought that was gonna be the crash that ended my biking...
    thats pretty jacked man, makes me glad i havent broken any bones! (yet)

mtbr member
    This last September I had a crash and broke my collarbone, scapula, a couple ribs and punctured/collapsed my right lung. Had a tube in my check for 4 days. I had a floating shoulder because no bone was supporting it. Didn't feel awesome.

Perpetual Hack
    Low speed crash. Never seem to get too hurt during a yard-sale (touches nearby wood)
    Went down in a low-speed gravel corner.
    Result: Broken hand, concussion, cracked and compressed vertebrae, and permanent nerve damage in my hand.

So, then the next year, I end up going OTB and auguring in again at medium-low speed - slipped a pedal just before a filter (showcase, blue-mountain ontario) and tried to ride it one footed - not very successfully to my detriment - 3 broken ribs and another cracked for good measure. Two months later I went down in a medium speed washout - re-broke two of them.

One other semi-low speeder years ago resulted in a nasty broken leg/knee - put down my foot at the wrong time and ended up with some severe hyper-extension - 30 odd years later, the knee still aches.

Other than those, it has been a few stitches, lots of road-rash, too many pedal wounds to count a couple of sprains and the odd broken finger to top it all off.

Overall, not to bad for 40+ years of riding.

Ya gotta pay to play.

michael
    Last edited by mykel; 04-06-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: updates
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Uphill? What's that
    Completely tore my ACL. Had surgery did rehab, then my 2nd day back on the bike I broke my kneecap in half on the same knee. I wasn't allowed to bend my leg for 3 months.. Missed an entire season..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    collar bone 8 months ago. 2 months recovery, 1 more month before I started riding. real uncomfortable, thats just my case though. no surgery, arm in sling the whole time.

Pivotal figure
    Well I've managed to tear both ACL's over the years but the worst injury so far would be the ruptured kidney. Pix aren't much to look at, my arm appeared MUCH worse and I didn't even break any bones. 3 days in the Level 1 Trauma Unit for this one. Wife was not impressed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scare me! (whats your worst DH/FR injury, not crash)-kidney1.jpg  

Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    "wife was not impressed" haha i hear ya, my gf doesnt like the word crash anymore!

mtbr member
    Folangag

pin it
    2009 My first season learning to dh. I was doing a shakedown ride on the first day of our vacation in the Okanagan. I was on a fast section when my front tire got trapped in a rain rut. I went OTB and hit the ground/boulder hard, shattering my right wrist and smashing my left cheek causing some nerve injury. I had surgery at Penticton hospital (plate and 10 pins) and spent the remainder of the vacation hiking and visiting wineries while my husband rode beautiful dh!

2010 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and during the treatment I continued to ride and managed not to hurt myself

2012 My rear tire slid out on a steep section and I managed to land hard on my right side, I heard crackling and felt crunching. I caught my breath dusted myself off and finished my run. My husband and I did a couple more short runs and then called it a day. In the car on the drive home I felt pain and it hurt to breath deeply. The next day x rays confirmed 2 broken ribs. I was back riding in 2 weeks
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    2002 caught an ice patch crossing a street. split my growth plate and cracked tibia.

2003 hit by ford explorer. gored my side with handle bar. was able to run away from crash (literally). caught handle bar on passenger rear taillight.

2006 chain snapped when geared out in dead sprint bout 30-35mph. major concussion, blown ear drum, major road rash on shoulder, bottom jaw is off center, permanent muscle damage in my jaw. no helemt during crash

2007 looped out a manual on top a small concrete box. hit my lower back mainly on the left side but went from kidney to kidney plus some road rash. still have some major nerve and muscle damage. i can take some heavy meds, and my upper body feels like jello while i can feel everything with my legs.

later in 2007, ran over by ford f250. luckily just some whiplash. bike didnt do so well
    Myspace | Social Entertainment

2009 going off a wall ended up OTB and face plant into the sidewalk. split open my forehead, upper lip, road rashed left side of face and cracked left shoulder blade. no helmet during crash
    Myspace | Social Entertainment

2012 caught figure in fixed gear chain and turned into a pez dispenser.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...2-10165115.jpg

and yes i have learned. now i wear a helmet anytime i ride skateparks, bmx tracks or trails.

sorry about the multiple locations of the photos. i went through 4 different moves and 3 computers in that time period.

RideDirt
    July 2012 - Separated R AC and fractured my scapula in 3 different areas. Finally got done with physical therapy in January. My ride to the hospital

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Worst I've done is broke my collar bone. I got bucked forward on a steep lipped jump and landed on my left shoulder. No surgery, so I have a lump. I was off the bike for 4 weeks, but it took about 3 months to feel normal again.

Glad to Be Alive
    almost died. In the hospital 6 days....lost my spleen

was going to quit and just do AM but the doctor said " you can't get your spleen hurt again...it is gone" so I am riding again
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 04-06-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    nothing broken yet.... the worst was probably grating a nice wallet size patch of skin off my thigh falling on some rocks in the alps... twice on the same patch of skin

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    damn! this is my new favorite thread! but some of these are just gnarly as it gets! Darkzeon and bengxe, thanks for sharing photo/videos. the vid was insane!

74 & 29 pilot
    Hit a booter out of a high speed turn, not realizing that it had the lip at the top, and was in too neutral of a position. The result was landing a front wheelie and ultimately slammed down on my head and left shoulder. Don't know if my Leatt brace kept me from breaking my neck or help to shatter my clavicle into 4 pieces Stayed at park another day so buddies could get in more riding, rode in passengers seat for 9 hours to get home and had surgery a week later. 1 titanium bar, 8 screws and 1 drag screw. Back on my AM bike in 5 weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scare me! (whats your worst DH/FR injury, not crash)-x-ray.jpg  

scare me! (whats your worst DH/FR injury, not crash)-img_1370-copy.jpg  

scare me! (whats your worst DH/FR injury, not crash)-img_1374.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Oh my, some rough injuries on here. My worst was about a year an a half at a race. I was on my last practice lap prior to the race beginning, came around a dusty corner in the woods, my front washed out and I landed on top of a tree stump right on my lower back. Broke a couple of floating ribs. I could not move for a few minutes and was in a lot of pain for about the next six weeks but I did race both my laps that day.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Impaled with a stick after a bad drop landing... in through the side of my pec and penetrated about 3 inches (I have big he-man pecs :-)... got an immediate get past the line-up card at the ER due to the possibility of a punctured lung.. Ended up with a drain tube and a bunch of stitches and a lot of bruising. Took me a full year to attempt that drop again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I haven't had any of the horror posted on here so far. But I did manage to go down in a rock garden last year and bend my pinky finger and ring finger back all of the way to where they touched the top of my wrist. It was amazingly painful and took forever to heal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    3 broken ribs and a collapsed lung. I think they missed the broken and/or separated collar bone as I have a big bump there now also.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I decapitated my self on my rotor, after sliding out on a banana slug. I reatached my head with duck tape and pop-cicle sticks, and rode home up hill, bare footed and through 6 ft of snow while fighting off rabid wolverines and talking an anal probe fom space aleins.
    Last edited by Tim F.; 04-03-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    I decapited my self on my rotor, after sliding out on a banana slug. I reatached my head with duck tape and pop-cicle sticks, and road home up hill, bare footed and through 6 ft of snow while fighting off rabid wolverines and talking an anal probe fom space aleins.
    What does it mean to "decapite" ones self?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    What does it mean to "decapite" ones self?
    When you get your wee-man stuck in your zipper.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast