mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Santa Cruz VP FREE or Scott Voltage FR 30

So i've been wanting to get into downhill/fr for quite some time now, and i finally have enough money (~$1000, i know its not much) saved up for an entry level rig. I've been planning on getting an FR 30 (i work for a scott dealer and get a fairly good deal) but yesterday while perusing craigslist I ran into a bit of a fork in the road.

I stumbled across a guy selling a 2005 Santa Cruz VP free for $600. Though it is nearing its 10th birthday, it is pretty decked out with xt, Juicy 7 brakes, and a fox DHX 5.0. It comes without a fork, but i could probably get one for about $200.

Is it worth it to save a couple hundred bucks and get a 10 year old bike that was top of the line in its prime, or has technology changed enough that I would be better off getting the new, entry level bike with (relatively) low end components?

Thanks!

Huffy Rider
    Get the new one, tech has changed so much in the last 4 years, never mind 10!

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    VP Free is still a viable platform, (VPP), and unless th VP Free is beat up, I would have to say is an awesome bike that can be built up light enough to use as an all mtn bike. I have one that is mainly a dh bike for me now, but for yrs I rode it as my do all, (ride a Nomad now for most rides). Scott makes good bikes so I think you win either way IMO.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've got an 07 free and it's the best bike I've ever had. I've got it setup with a domain coil World Cup coil. Add lite wheels ks dropper post. I did the short shock mod on it and the thing is a blast. I can pedal with anyone and smoke em on the descent. I'm biased but I'd get the free

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    if it was me i would probably go with the newer bike,, it can always be upgraded over time, and if you work in the trade then im sure youll get bits for trade price...
    the only thing that would put me off the voltage is how many of them fail. ive seen quite a few crack at the headtube weld. but if you work for a dealer then im sure warranty replacement wont be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all your help! i think i am going to get the Voltage. the age difference really does seem a bit too large and the voltage is probably better suited to my dh skill level anyways