Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Sam Hill's crazy run

DH Men 3rd Sam Hill World Championship - Mountain Bike Videos - Extreme.com - Gives you the best high quality extreme sports video and all the latest news and events from the world of action sports.

Anyone else see this? Pretty amazing run until he slips out. Still only 0.5s back.

Also, is it me or is he wearing what looks like XC spandex?

mtbr member
    oldie, but goodie

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    sick

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    oldie, but goodie
    true

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Was there any video that ever got released of his implosion at Ft. William?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    +1 My thoughts exactly.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Those videos are awesome. It's a shame the idiot commentators ruin it the sound.

Glad to Be Alive
    awesome oldie....sidenote Sam said the gearing was too high....if it would have been lower he could have got back to speed faster
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, saw Danny Hart's run, but missed Sam Hill's. Good stuff.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    Those videos are awesome. It's a shame the idiot commentators ruin it the sound.
    Haha! Probably the least professional "commentary" I've heard in any sport. Sounded like a couple of drunk fans they stuck a mic in front of.

Just ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    +1 My thoughts exactly.
    I think the commentator's last statement pretty much sums up how killer that run was..."HOW DOES HE SIT DOWN!.......".

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Haha! Probably the least professional "commentary" I've heard in any sport. Sounded like a couple of drunk fans they stuck a mic in front of.
    The commentary is what I wake up at 3am to watch those live for. I'd rather listen to drunk fans who care about what's happening than brent musberger who wants to tell you good he would be if he were out there.
    Rob Warner for Life

Professional Troll
    Uhhh, those idiot commentators are amazing. It's downhill, not baseball. Anyone who takes it too seriously is doing it wrong.

Also, the more I watch the 2, the more I think Sam's run is more impressive. He looks SIGNIFICANTLY faster than any of the other riders, scary fast. Hart not so much I think.

I hope Sam gets back to true form. Him, Gwin, and Hart in top form would be an amazing season of racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post

Also, is it me or is he wearing what looks like XC spandex?
    Yes that is, but unfortunately that is no longer allowed either..... they banned spandex due to it's influence on the sports "looks"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    Yes that is, but unfortunately that is no longer allowed either..... they banned spandex due to it's influence on the sports "looks"
    Are you serious? I hate the way it looks for sure, but it's pretty funny they'd go that far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Rob Warner is a legend. Ex-pro downhiller. Relish a sport where there are still characters.

For a bit of RW appreciation you can look up his course run at this years worlds on freecaster.tv. He's been a few years out of the sport at the top level and it shows. This is the man who donned a micro light engine pack to invent a new sport of powered mountain biking (in jest). Managed to set off some speed cameras on the road with that set up as well.

Thank heaven for people who don't take life seriously.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rob Warner is literally 80% of the reason I woke up at 6:30 am to watch World Cup this year.

I really hope the extreme.com series catches on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Are you serious? I hate the way it looks for sure, but it's pretty funny they'd go that far.
    I believe the main scare was that downhill was just gonna become some aero time trial roadie event.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    *shrug* nothing against who's commenting... but personally I'd rather they all just shut up so I can watch, instead of getting yelled at. At least it's not as bad as Soccer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    *shrug* nothing against who's commenting... but personally I'd rather they all just shut up so I can watch, instead of getting yelled at. At least it's not as bad as Soccer...
    there is a mute button.

Also, you watch one run and you think that way, but most of the actual fans who wake up early to watch are watching 40+ runs of people taking the exact same line. Some spice is a good thing.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Uhhh, those idiot commentators are amazing. It's downhill, not baseball. Anyone who takes it too seriously is doing it wrong.

Also, the more I watch the 2, the more I think Sam's run is more impressive. He looks SIGNIFICANTLY faster than any of the other riders, scary fast. Hart not so much I think....
    I kinda agree with that, but let's not forget, Sam's run was in the dry. Still, that section towards the bottom third where he is just pinned through the rough, is incredible. Even RW can't believe his eyes. Shame he had to bin it, would have been a win for the ages.

Hart's run took on all its significance when you watch the world's best slip and slide their way down, and then Hart comes along, rides down easy, takes the aggressive lines, and THAT whip...

Oh and RW FTW!!!

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by William42 View Post
    there is a mute button.

Also, you watch one run and you think that way, but most of the actual fans who wake up early to watch are watching 40+ runs of people taking the exact same line. Some spice is a good thing.

I was going to write almost exactly this. I've watched nearly every race live on Freecaster over the past 3 years. RW doesn't say a whole lot until the top 20 riders or so and it gets a bit boring at times seeing the same run over and over. His over the top commentary really adds to the entertainment value of the race. After all, lets not forget that it is supposed to be entertaining and FUN.

It's complete idiocy that the "big" sports are taken so seriously. For effs sake somebody is hitting/throwing a ball. WGAS, WGAF?
    JRA

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058 View Post
    I kinda agree with that, but let's not forget, Sam's run was in the dry. Still, that section towards the bottom third where he is just pinned through the rough, is incredible. Even RW can't believe his eyes. Shame he had to bin it, would have been a win for the ages.

Hart's run took on all its significance when you watch the world's best slip and slide their way down, and then Hart comes along, rides down easy, takes the aggressive lines, and THAT whip...

Oh and RW FTW!!!
    Wet or dry has nothing to do with it, its about how much they blew the doors off of their competition. If anything being the the dry makes it more impressive because you'd expect a lower standard deviation of results in the dry (I think?). In the wet you can definitely attribute more to luck. Hart looks impressive at champery, but Sam Hill looks SCARY at Val di sole. I get knots in my stomach imaging how fast he's going at 1:35 and 2:40 (his time, not the video's time).

Also, the thing about Sam's 2007 Champery run is that it was proportionately more impressive than Harts as well. Gee and Greg went down just before Sam in the same conditions. He didn't be those 2 by 11 seconds, or 20 seconds, he beat them by something like 45 seconds. Gwin was right up on Harts time before he crashed, just got unlucky. They were all going down in more or less the same conditions by the looks of it. Also he won Quali that year by 14 seconds. Hart's run was f-ing impressive, but I think Hill's 2 runs are just...ungodly. Although Hart does have more style. He gets double points for that I think.

V-Shaped Rut
    Diff between exciting and batshit crazy. Motogp is a bunch of guys riding the same line and the announcers also freak when something happens. Just not the entire lap.

To each his own, if you like it you like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast