Thread: Sam Fkn Hill

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011

Sam Fkn Hill

Just wanted to say "Tats and Flats. "

/thread
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

Uphill? What's that
    I knew that course matched his style of riding and was glad to see him win another race this year.Kudos to Ratboy for taking the overall..All in all it was a great year for the world cup.

Trail Ninja
    Looked like he kept it kind of conservative in the middle, and let off the brakes on the bottom more than anyone else.

LCW
    mtbr member

Sam Fkn Hill

It was beautiful seeing Hill in his element. Perfect track for him, but sounded like most of the racers really prefer this kind of track also. Hopefully this trend continues and tracks like Leogang, Pietermaritzburg, and Windham go away for good.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Looked like he kept it kind of conservative in the middle, and let off the brakes on the bottom more than anyone else.
    Not only did he let off the brakes he stuck to the inside line like he was on rails

mtbr member
    I only missed Palmers golden jacket on the podium :-)

LCW
    mtbr member

Sam Fkn Hill

This is a sweet comparison - can really see how close the racing was...

Not to mention the insane pace these guys can do on their race runs...

http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stori...ill-in-méribel
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    It was beautiful seeing Hill in his element. Perfect track for him, but sounded like most of the racers really prefer this kind of track also. Hopefully this trend continues and tracks like Leogang, Pietermaritzburg, and Windham go away for good.
    I don't think Windham is in the same category as Leogang and Peitermaritz. Windham may not have the technical aspects of tracks such as Val Di Sole and Champery, but the balls out speed is awesome. You can't tell me that it wasn't a treat to watch that race. The racers didn't have the best opinion of the track after the initial track walk, but after the first practice their attitudes clearly changed for the better. It was very apparent in interviews. The track was fun for them to ride, and even better to watch.

Vital RAW - Windham World Cup Qualifying Practice - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

The section with that hip and then the launch down Peaty's plunge, the section that Danny Hart shut down with his incredible huck to drift. You must not have a pulse if you didn't enjoy watching that race.

Meribel is a good track, and I do think pedally tracks like SA need to disappear, and tracks that are literally a bike park lap like Leo need to change. But I think Windham is fine.

There also is something to be said about the broad variation of track styles throughout the season. We had steep and technical(Meribel) and pedally and flat(SA), and everything in between this year. Which really rewards the most well rounded rider for overall points. If ALL the tracks were steep and gnar, people would argue that the circuit favors the technically talented and you don't need any fitness. If they were all pedal fests, people would argue that you don't have to have any technical skill and just need to be fit. Having a broad spectrum of all types of tracks is a somewhat good thing in my opinion. To finish well in the overall, you have to be both fit AND technically skilled. The World Cup needs to have twice the amount of races though in my opinion, but that's another discussion.

Gnarly
    Like that comparison video, LCW. The lines chosen was almost identical
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    It's interesting how many people hated Leogang this year. Last year? Yeah, a complete bike park air dh course. But this year, they actually had done a lot of work to make it more a proper, rough dh course. I was pleasantly surprised. Even PMB tried hard to take out some of the 87 miles of flat, boring pedal stuff. I applaud their efforts, and hope it'll continue to evolve away from A-Line.

I think that the root of the problem lies in the fact that we are losing many of our consistently steep tracks. Some that are still on the circuit have very steep sections, but it's little more than a high-speed trail ride between them. I still want Val di Sole back, along with Champery. I love those tracks, where the practically every second of the terrain inspires fear, not simply the speed they must hold.

That said, I'm incredibly happy with how the season went. Sam Hill deserves every bit of the success he's having and more. And Ratboy... well I just hope that Meribel locked up its daughters that night. Now all we need is to have Peaty swoop in and get one more championship.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.