Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slap happy crappiness

Saint M820 vs. Formula RO

Anyone ridden both and have some input?
    Been on Avid for the past 5 years, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen. Codes, and Elixr CRs. My current Codes faded a few times resort riding on heavy braking trails. Other than that I've been decently happy with them.
    Felt the new XTR's though and holy hell do they feel nice. Also have a set of Formula RX's on my trail bike and they are the best feeling brake I've owned. I tend to like a very solid lever feel that I can dial close to the bar at full power, with the RX's do to a T.
    So anyone have any opinions on M820s vs. Formula ROs?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I dont have any info on the saints but they are highly regarded as the best DH brake available.

I am using formula "the one" brakes now and I don't have anything negative to say about them. I hear they are a pain to work on but haven't had any issues so far. They are SUPER strong and do not fade at all. I have the adjustment knobs on them so I can change how progressive they feel as well as the reach with no tools.

Very very satisfied with my formula's but when I was shopping I was very close to buying saints in their place. Deciding factor was weight, the formula's are quite a bit lighter than saints and claim to be the the lightest "DH specific" brake available.

Hope this helps

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    I dont have any info on the saints but they are highly regarded as the best DH brake available.

I am using formula "the one" brakes now and I don't have anything negative to say about them. I hear they are a pain to work on but haven't had any issues so far. They are SUPER strong and do not fade at all. I have the adjustment knobs on them so I can change how progressive they feel as well as the reach with no tools.

Very very satisfied with my formula's but when I was shopping I was very close to buying saints in their place. Deciding factor was weight, the formula's are quite a bit lighter than saints and claim to be the the lightest "DH specific" brake available.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the insight. The weight factor isn't too important to me to be honest. I'm more concerned with stopping power, lever feel, and fade resistance; modulation is second to all those factors... I'm fine with an on/off brake or a very modular brake, as long as the lever feels solid and I can get it reasonably close to bars at full pull, but a solid stop before hitting bar.

Glad to Be Alive
    come on Fred...smell the coffee.....I rode the brakes more then you without any problems....Saints just work
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    come on Fred...smell the coffee.....I rode the brakes more then you without any problems....Saints just work
    I'm actually a heavy braker, tend to drag the rear more than I should... and at 240 pounds that's a lot wear on my brakes. You saw me pour water on my rear caliper and have it boil off and spit steam.
    Anyways, the Saints are obviously on my want list, as are the ROs; which is why this thread exists.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    I'm actually a heavy braker, tend to drag the rear more than I should... and at 240 pounds that's a lot wear on my brakes. You saw me pour water on my rear caliper and have it boil off and spit steam.
    Anyways, the Saints are obviously on my want list, as are the ROs; which is why this thread exists.
    call me tomorrow..I have a hook up on the Bran new Saints for you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    RO and be done with it, I do the same thing Cool off my brakes I now do motul 660 fluid in my formulas.
    I will be grabbing ROs next week and putting motul in them, I have never had a issue with formulas in 6 years they have never let me down from biancos to the ones.....
    Saints are apparently great brakes I've got the 2012 xts on my pivot but its because they came on a bike I stripped down...they work great no issues so far feel great so I'm sure the saints are way better.

Formula IMO...
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    RO and be done with it, I do the same thing Cool off my brakes I now do motul 660 fluid in my formulas.
    I will be grabbing ROs next week and putting motul in them, I have never had a issue with formulas in 6 years they have never let me down from biancos to the ones.....
    Saints are apparently great brakes I've got the 2012 xts on my pivot but its because they came on a bike I stripped down...they work great no issues so far feel great so I'm sure the saints are way better.

Formula IMO...
    You gotta let me check out the ROs when you get em. I've felt a few sets of 820s but yet to get my fingers on some Formulas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    just put my old Ones on my AM bike, and installed new R0s on my DHR. massive power, nice feel, and a reasonable $195 per wheel (I already had rotors) from a european online retailer (cheap shipping to US). Haven't ridden the newest Saints. I have 8 sets of Formula brakes....they just work so well, it's hard to consider switching.

How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar

Note the Saints tested in that table weren't working right. The prev gen Saints had power similar to Ones, just heavier fwiw.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Pro Crastinator
    lay off the brakes pansy....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    my brother uses formulas, he has megas on his trail bike and the one on his park bike, he rates them both very highly, the ones are very powerful, with great bite nice and progressive and good modulation,
    for the last 3 weeks i have been running a new pair of 820 saints, they are a great brake, imense stopping power, great bite and feel, modulation is great, the only bad thing is this inconsistancy in the bite point,
    its weird, the bite point will change randomly, most of the time it will bite near the bar, ( how i have it set up) then it will bit right at the top of the lever pull. then in the middle of the pull, then back to normal, evey time you pull the lever you never know when or where it will bite,

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    my brother uses formulas, he has megas on his trail bike and the one on his park bike, he rates them both very highly, the ones are very powerful, with great bite nice and progressive and good modulation,
    for the last 3 weeks i have been running a new pair of 820 saints, they are a great brake, imense stopping power, great bite and feel, modulation is great, the only bad thing is this inconsistancy in the bite point,
    its weird, the bite point will change randomly, most of the time it will bite near the bar, ( how i have it set up) then it will bit right at the top of the lever pull. then in the middle of the pull, then back to normal, evey time you pull the lever you never know when or where it will bite,
    Sounds like you have air in the system. A good bleed should solve that issue.

Still questioning if a 2 piston brake can match what's being called (arguably) the most powerful 4 piston brake on the market right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    nt sure if it isair in the system, there are reviews from most of the journo's on the product launch that all stated inconsistant bite point, other users have also comented on here about similar issues,
    they are still an amazing brake though,

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    nt sure if it isair in the system, there are reviews from most of the journo's on the product launch that all stated inconsistant bite point, other users have also comented on here about similar issues,
    they are still an amazing brake though,
    Huh. I knew that was a prob with the 810s, didn't realize it was passed on to the 820s.

mtbr member
    I got RO's about two weeks ago and they have changed my perception of what good brakes are. That's coming off the Saint m810 brakes. The stock bleed was perfect on both my front and rear and I couldn't be happier with the brakes. The amount of power is amazing. If you want the wheels to lock they will lock, but if you want to just slow down without the wheel skidding that is not an issue. These brakes are much more powerful than my m810 Saints. I did two 3k vertical DH runs today and experienced zero fade.

They are light, sexy, and have amazing power. Can't see any reason not to go Formula.

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    I got RO's about two weeks ago and they have changed my perception of what good brakes are. That's coming off the Saint m810 brakes. The stock bleed was perfect on both my front and rear and I couldn't be happier with the brakes. The amount of power is amazing. If you want the wheels to lock they will lock, but if you want to just slow down without the wheel skidding that is not an issue. These brakes are much more powerful than my m810 Saints. I did two 3k vertical DH runs today and experienced zero fade.

They are light, sexy, and have amazing power. Can't see any reason not to go Formula.
    Sold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't know about the late model formulas, but I have 2011 The Ones, and it's impossible to get the lever close to the bar. The geometry is just not right for this kind of setup.

I love them, though.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    . I did two 3k vertical DH runs today and experienced zero fade.

I think you mean 2k, none of our runs get much beyond that. Also, our trails are flat as sh*T so I don't think they are that good of a test of brakes.

Also $$$$ is a good reason :P

Also, latest gen codes are great. The feel/lever geometry is far better than the formulas and saints. Well, newest saints come pretty close. Sure they are a tad heavier and they seem to lack a touch of the power of the saints and formulas. But they are wayyyy cheaper, don't fade, and have really nice modulation. When I say they don't fade, I mean, they don't fade. Between riding extended steep trails, being 220 lbs, and not being especially fast, I think I push my brakes harder than just about anyone I know.

And the codes are reliable. I think I've gone through 4 sets of metallic pads now on one of my sets. Zero maintenance aside from just bleeding them when I change pads. Everyone else seems to have at least SOME problems with their brakes once in a while, I have had zero.

To summarize. All of the big 3 brakes are good, it just comes down to preference. Also, me speaking highly of ANYTHING made by SRAM is very rare.

P.S.

WHY THE F**K are you pouring water on a hot caliper? There are so many things that can do to damage the system. Also, any brake under mild use will reach temperatures above 100C and cause water to steam off of it. That's why you use DOT fluid/mineral oil and not water as the fluid in the system.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Love my RO's. Borrowed some XT's were ok, but still prefere the XO's.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    WHY THE F**K are you pouring water on a hot caliper? There are so many things that can do to damage the system. Also, any brake under mild use will reach temperatures above 100C and cause water to steam off of it. That's why you use DOT fluid/mineral oil and not water as the fluid in the system.
    I love the way the internet lets people talk to each other....
    To answer your question of WHY THE F**K I poured water on my caliper was to get to the bottom of my run. I had ZERO rear brake because those Codes you swear never fade, faded. And all those things that can do to damage the system, didn't.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    I love the way the internet lets people talk to each other....
    To answer your question of WHY THE F**K I poured water on my caliper was to get to the bottom of my run. I had ZERO rear brake because those Codes you swear never fade, faded. And all those things that can do to damage the system, didn't.
    Trust me, I'm a piece of sh*t in real life, the internet has nothing to do with it. If I saw someone pouring cold water onto their red hot brakes I would run over and slap them in the face.

You should never rapidly cool ANY metal part like that. At best you will 100% for certain embrittle it, at worst you will crack it right away. What resort trail were you fading your brakes on? A CA resort? None of the normal CA resort trails are that steep IME.

mtbr member
    My m810 Saint would fade on Tunnel. Our trails might not be that steep but Tunnel will give any bike/part a work out. The modulation and overall power on the Formula's is the best that I have ridden. The Formula's aren't really that much difference in price from the Saint M820 either so I think it's a fine comparison to make.

The Formula's do have a different lever feel by design, but that is something that you get used to after a ride or two. I adjusted my levers in(closer to the bar), and don't have any issues. These brakes aren't cheap, but they sure are awesome.

And **** SRAM. Period.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind both Saints and Formulas have been improved with new models for 2012/13 so a lot of responses are based on dated designs. The new Formula brakes are supposed to be much more user friendly for pad clearance and setup compared to previous years (their only real complaint). I can't say but I can say all of my bikes runs Formulas for a reason - they feel the best to me (tho the latest XT brakes for trail use are right there too). Even if they have equal stopping power (which I'm guessing they do), the Formulas have come in significantly lighter than Saints so why go with Saints if they're similarly priced?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Trust me, I'm a piece of sh*t in real life, the internet has nothing to do with it. If I saw someone pouring cold water onto their red hot brakes I would run over and slap them in the face.
    Haha, I'm sure you would....
    Anyways, at least you admit you're a piece of ****, something to be proud of.

This happened on Toll Road, which we hit after Skids, non-stop. My brake had ZERO grab on the fire road. Had to get to the village before the last shuttle left so I had to cool it off ASAP. Nothing appears abnormal since and it's been through 5 lift days and a few local rides since.
    Anyways, ordering the ROs, if I don't like em I can always resell em and get the saints.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    34 days in Whistler Bike Park this season, zero fade on my M810 Saints.

That's over 400,000 vertical feet.

Haven't bled them once since I got here. I run with my levers almost touching my bars at full pull, so I'd notice fade or any other problem immediately. No problems ever, not once, nothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast