mtbr member
    Apr 2006

RXR Protect, Anyone used their armour

Anyone used their armour yet? www.rxrprotect.com

Incase you don't know, from what i've read, its basically armour with air pockets, thats absorb a lot more than normal armour.

If anyone has please let me know.

Cheers,
    Jam.

EastBaySteez
    I wouldnt use that.
    What would happen if the air pocket exploded? No more armor?
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Glad to Be Alive
    They would be mighty hot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    The concept is nice but air pillows can fold. Im a fan of impact foam, works on the same concept as a helmet.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think you guys need to look at this a bit more seriously. did you notice the test results compared to the mighty hard-plastic or the foam body armors? It is a CE certified product which means that whatever it is supposed to protect from it does it.

I wouldn't think that a product designed originally for motocross would come up with bladers that can pop-up.Have you checked the US site, www.rxrprotectnorthamerica.com?

I think that new technologies don't always make sense in the beginning but after looking at it a bit further..."air pillow" maybe but their ASA system seems a bit more complexe than that

ride hard take risks
    Time will tell. Sitting here reading info & graph spikes is not real world. Pictures make it look like a air mattress. Are you going to be going to places like Sea Otter & other events like that to show your product?? Show & tell is more powerful then forum words & web site clicking.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Totally, I know that words, especially with a new product like that, can't convince as much as real-life experience and testing.

Definitely planning to have presence at the Sea Otter and trying to get more riders, more shops around the US. Right now I have provided some to 3 riders of the Reading Racing team and Jim Brown, who won the California State Downhill Expert Mens Championships at Lagrange in the 30-39 Experts, is one of our support-rider and happy to use it. More stuff like that will help explain things.

It is evident that, contrary to motocross where they are playing with 220lbs bikes landing on their backs or chest, where riders have been using it and walking away from potentially extremely dangerous crash, there is a stronger apprehension in the DH community with the soft back protection. Some riders do not want to accept the fact that this is better than the hard plastic shells they use. I have had the same exchange with guys at Jamis and understand that only experience, time and tests will help explain and convince.

Peace!

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Kili4ever
    Totally, I know that words, especially with a new product like that, can't convince as much as real-life experience and testing.

Definitely planning to have presence at the Sea Otter and trying to get more riders, more shops around the US. Right now I have provided some to 3 riders of the Reading Racing team and Jim Brown, who won the California State Downhill Expert Mens Championships at Lagrange in the 30-39 Experts, is one of our support-rider and happy to use it. More stuff like that will help explain things.

It is evident that, contrary to motocross where they are playing with 220lbs bikes landing on their backs or chest, where riders have been using it and walking away from potentially extremely dangerous crash, there is a stronger apprehension in the DH community with the soft back protection. Some riders do not want to accept the fact that this is better than the hard plastic shells they use. I have had the same exchange with guys at Jamis and understand that only experience, time and tests will help explain and convince.

Peace!
    Rocks dont puncture plastic hardshell though...there are alot more rocks in dh mountain biking than in motocross...just seems like a rock would sail right through it or if you scraped against a rock it would rip it to shreads leaving no protection. Also what is the advantage over just plain old foam???
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    Rocks dont puncture plastic hardshell though...there are alot more rocks in dh mountain biking than in motocross...just seems like a rock would sail right through it or if you scraped against a rock it would rip it to shreads leaving no protection. Also what is the advantage over just plain old foam???
    I understand your comments but I believe that they are based on the fact that you haven't seen the product, the material it is built of and the bladder itself.
    There are actually a few rock on motocross and on some tracks much more than you imagine, rocks which are actually thrown at you by 60 hp bikes.

It is not necessary anyway to debate the credibitlity of a product on an forum when all parties have not riden with it and tested it.

I still believe though that the impact of a 220lbs bike, at speed, landing on someone's back from 20 of 30 feet high, is heavier, stronger, generates more shock than a human body falling on rocks, boulders, stones. But that's only my opinion. I may be wrong of course.

Now, if we're talking of spears and other nasty titanium needles, then.... I'll have a doubt.

The fact is that the DHers who have tried it are still riding with it. It's kind of a good sign for us.

Thunder Chunky
    I understand your comments but I believe that they are based on the fact that you haven't seen the product, the material it is built of and the bladder itself.
    There are actually a few rock on motocross and on some tracks much more than you imagine, rocks which are actually thrown at you by 60 hp bikes.

It is not necessary anyway to debate the credibitlity of a product on an forum when all parties have not riden with it and tested it.

I still believe though that the impact of a 220lbs bike, at speed, landing on someone's back from 20 of 30 feet high, is heavier, stronger, generates more shock than a human body falling on rocks, boulders, stones. But that's only my opinion. I may be wrong of course.

Now, if we're talking of spears and other nasty titanium needles, then.... I'll have a doubt.

The fact is that the DHers who have tried it are still riding with it. It's kind of a good sign for us.
    True I have not seen or used this product in real life but these are just some of the things that worry me.

I dont doubt that it could take a blunt impact like a dirtbike falling on you I just dont think it would stand up to sharper rocks. Think of it like this...the reason why knives cut things is because all of the pressure is being forced into one tiny area and even though you may not be pushing very hard on the knife all of the force is concentrated intot that one area causing it to "cut" the material. If you actually do the math an elephant standing on top of you(with the elephant being only on 1 foot) puts less force per square inch than a 100 pound girl wearing high heals would if she was standing on top of you on one foot..hence the reason why you never want to pi$$ a girl off who is wearing highheals lmao. Hopefully that makes sense, where the elephant is is a 200 pound bike falling from 20 or 30 feet on you and where the high heal is, is you(we'll say at least 150 pounds) hitting a rock at 10 maybe 15mph. Even though you are going slower and weigh much less that the dirtbike all off the force from impact is going to be concentrated in one small area(if you hit at least a semi-pointy rock) where as the dirtbike is more spread out. Again i havent seen or felt this stuff but it doesnt seem to me that some fabric could stop that rock...The other thing is durability...i know I fall alot(more than most probably lol) and alot of times there happen to be rocks there and Im not sure how well it would take being constantly scraped like that.

Not trying to flame you or anything Im just stating the reason for why I am skeptic about it.
    Purple Popcorn

ride hard take risks
    Not trying to flame you or anything Im just stating the reason for why I am skeptic about it.
    In real life a impact suite is designed to absorb the impact & distribute it through the "foam" once it has done this it's time to replace the impact foam. You can think of it like a helmet, once the helmet takes a impact it is recommended to replace it. Nun of us can afford to stay "properly protected" if we fallowed these rules. This is not new technology using air for impact protection but it looks like there is potential & they offer a replacement bladder for a reason, cheaper than a new suit. Will it be accepted so development can progress? time will tell.
    Formotion Products

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    In real life a impact suite is designed to absorb the impact & distribute it through the "foam" once it has done this it's time to replace the impact foam. You can think of it like a helmet, once the helmet takes a impact it is recommended to replace it. Nun of us can afford to stay "properly protected" if we fallowed these rules. This is not new technology using air for impact protection but it looks like there is potential & they offer a replacement bladder for a reason, cheaper than a new suit. Will it be accepted so development can progress? time will tell.
    What???? elbow protectors and knee/shin gaurds dont not have the same kind of foam as helmets....same with my 661 sp-2...it does not have the same kind of impact foam as a helmet. If you push down on the foam in your kne/elbow/what ever gaurd it goes back to where it was...the helmet foam(if you push hard enoguh) stays compacted and thats why you need new helmets because its doesnt spring back to where it was before and therefore if you hit it again it is already all the way compacted and wont provide cushioning...
    Purple Popcorn

ride hard take risks
    What???? elbow protectors and knee/shin gaurds dont not have the same kind of foam as helmets....same with my 661 sp-2...it does not have the same kind of impact foam as a helmet. If you push down on the foam in your kne/elbow/what ever gaurd it goes back to where it was...the helmet foam(if you push hard enoguh) stays compacted and thats why you need new helmets because its doesnt spring back to where it was before and therefore if you hit it again it is already all the way compacted and wont provide cushioning...
    The stuff in your armor is called Impact Foam, it is designed to disperse the impact. That means that it takes the impact at one point then sends it across the piece rather than take the impact direct. Shock wave style. If the foam took the impact directly it would flatten & hurt like heck. Jump off your roof with a piece of foam & land on your knee, then do this with impact foam on the other knee. There will be less pain with the impact foam but they will both probably be broken.
    Formotion Products

Thunder Chunky
    The stuff in your armor is called Impact Foam, it is designed to disperse the impact. That means that it takes the impact at one point then sends it across the piece rather than take the impact direct. Shock wave style. If the foam took the impact directly it would flatten & hurt like heck. Jump off your roof with a piece of foam & land on your knee, then do this with impact foam on the other knee. There will be less pain with the impact foam but they will both probably be broken.
    ok im not denying that it is impact foam its just not the same as what is in your helmet and can take multiple hits(trust me i have lots of experience lol)

ride hard take risks
    ok im not denying that it is impact foam its just not the same as what is in your helmet and can take multiple hits(trust me i have lots of experience lol)
    I said think of it as a helmet, not it is the same foam as a helmet. I also said it is designed to take a Impact then you replace it. Read the manufactures disclaimer. I started riding moto in '74 without armor.
    Formotion Products

Thunder Chunky
    Read the manufactures disclaimer.
    All the little warning sticker things just say sports are inheritly dangerous and these cant completely protect you and you cant sue them if you get hurt of die...lmao...yeah just went out and checked and not one of them says a thing about replacement excpt the helmets...

ride hard take risks
    All the little warning sticker things just say sports are inheritly dangerous and these cant completely protect you and you cant sue them if you get hurt of die...lmao...yeah just went out and checked and not one of them says a thing about replacement excpt the helmets...
    How many shots to the same exact place can a bullet proof vest take before you take the bullet??
    Formotion Products

Thunder Chunky
    How many shots to the same exact place can a bullet proof vest take before you take the bullet??
    well thats a dumb question cause it could be 0(pretty damn sure if you take a 50cal armorpeircing round from a sniper rifle your bullet "proof" vest aint ognna stop it) but I would imagine some could take a .22 more than once in the same spot...there is this new vest called dragon skin itspretty sick(http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/dragon-skin.php at the bottom there are some vids)...you can lay ontop of a frag grenade and the vest wont be penetrated...you would still be dead but at least the vest protected you sort of lmao

Glad to Be Alive
    I
    yeah but big problem is ventilation....for MX it is fine but that is too hot for dh....needs vents
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days