mtbr member

Rotor options for Saint 810's?

I love my Saint brakes but the howling is getting old. They don't always make noise, it's mostly on warm days when I'm doing multiple runs. I was thinking maybe different rotors would help. (I currently use Shimano RT75DH rotors with metallic pads. I posted this in the brake forum but only got one response.)

Can I just use any 203mm rotor?

I am currently looking at Formula or picking up the new Shimano RT86 Ice rotors. Any thoughts on those or any other recommendations?

mtbr member

IceTech rotors are no better, just as noisy.

Mine get loud when it is wet out. The performance is great in dry but degrades quickly in the slop. I think it is a Shimano thing. I have XTR Trails on my trail bike and they make the same noise my Saint's do in the wet.

I am also looking for a solution. The only thing that stops the noise is cleaning the pads with sand paper and taking scotch brite to the rotor every week. I like maintenance but this is too much.

MGS

mtbr member
    I currently use the Magura Storm SL rotors and they do really good for me. They are quiet, and feel better then the shimano rotors I have used.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have a look at Hope floating rotors. I have them on both my bikes - on Giant Faith I have them with the Saints and work perfect. Quiet, great modulation and plenty of power

mtbr member
    Mine made a little noise with Shimano CL rotors (XT). WIth the old style 6 bolt 203mm rotors, they are dead silent, and with the Magura 203mm Storm SL rotors, they are super quiet in all circumstances. So you might want to try those out - real light, real quiet, and now that it's muddy here, I've found them to clear water and mud very well.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for the feedback! I'll avoid the Ice rotors and check out Magura and Hope.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I use RT76 on my 810's and no issues so far, I run a mix of metallic and organic brake pads both front and back. But any rotors should be okay. Good luck.

Glad to Be Alive
    Hope mono 6 floating razors ..........a little thicker and they stay straiter.........try running one ceramic and one metal pad.....I love this combination
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Hope mono 6 floating razors ..........a little thicker and they stay straiter.........try running one ceramic and one metal pad.....I love this combination
    Where did you get the ceramic pads from? When I looked around all I could find were organic or metallic.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    I currently use the Magura Storm SL rotors and they do really good for me. They are quiet, and feel better then the shimano rotors I have used.

-Brett
    I plan to replace Alligator WindCutter rotors with Storm SL on my Code 2011/Exlir CR combo. Have you ever tried Alligators?
    pozdro
    frango