87 75.65%
  • MWD8

28 24.35%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roam vs NWD8

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007

Roam vs NWD8

I just bought NWD8 Some good stuff there, not as much DH as I would have liked to see, some of the freeride ramps are insane! For those of you who watch surf movies I think NWD films are like the LOST films while the collective are more like Jack Johnson stuff.

Anyways which did you like better and why?

mtbr member
    I liked Roam more. NWD8 seemed to just have too many jump sequences that ended up making the movie almost boring to watch at times. And don't even get me started on the "Have you seen it" mumbo jumbo

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    I liked Roam more. NWD8 seemed to just have too many jump sequences that ended up making the movie almost boring to watch at times. And don't even get me started on the "Have you seen it" mumbo jumbo

I agree...i didn't get that whole part....and they could have cut out all that wrestling **** too

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Freeride videos are becoming kinda yawn. IMO the whole slo-mo big jumps big tricks videos are getting kinda old. I'll take a racer vid over NWD nowadays

DenverDH'er
    I chose Roam. More class, less BS, more scenic, better done.

mtbr member
    Its funny...Race films get old for me. I can only watch a guy pinning it down a course so many times before it all starts to look the same. I've never been remotely interested in racing though...

Roam/Collective - a bit emo to be honest. Good videos, but not great. Almost like they are trying too hard to be artistic.

NWD8 was good...I enjoyed it. Big riding, loud music, sense of humor. Doesn't take itself too seriously.

Now with flavor!!
    I want to punch westerlund in the nuts every time hear that god awful music on andreau lacondeguy's part.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    personally i think bas had the worst music

NWD8 was like one giant slopestyle video....throw in some dirt jumps and blah. it got boring. They could have summed it up with like 3 riders. And they're still putting bourdon and cowen in, but they got rid of (in the past couple years) Vanderham and Strait??

If you're going to show gnarly freeride, cowen over strait????
    Cowen - i built some DJ's behind my house
    Strait - i won red bull rampage, consistantly place in crankworx, and throw shoulder buzzers from a bunnyhop.

And don't get me started on Bourdon, if you're gonna show ballsyness, show ****ing bender, and if you're gonna show mad flow and huge **** show vanderham.

They need more scenes like gracias, barels, lopes/schlee....its not just downhillers pinning the same line over and over, then a different line, its just people going out and riding a trail.

Roam and earthed 4 are my favorite films yet, since they both have amazing shots of people shredding down trails.

/end rant

Tonight we ride.
    Earthed 4 is more enjoyable than either. Although Roam is so much better than NWD 8. Why do MTB films almost always have to have some cheesy theme? Fast forwarding through those scenes to get to the riding is tedious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Its funny...Race films get old for me. I can only watch a guy pinning it down a course so many times before it all starts to look the same. I've never been remotely interested in racing though...

nail on head for me too

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fonseca
    Earthed 4 is more enjoyable than either. Although Roam is so much better than NWD 8. Why do MTB films almost always have to have some cheesy theme? Fast forwarding through those scenes to get to the riding is tedious.

I USED THE ff BUTTOM A LOT!

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Roam/Collective - a bit emo to be honest. Good videos, but not great. Almost like they are trying too hard to be artistic.

emo WHAT IS THAT ****? ANYONE WHO USES THE WORD EMO is EMO

mtbr member
    to be honest though watching a different racer pin the same line as the rest is as boring as watching a different rider jumping at the same place/doing the sa,me trick

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    True!

Trying a little
    NW8 is the best mtb video I have seen yet. The riding is off the chains. Anyone who likes Roam better is on crack.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by jedi
    to be honest though watching a different racer pin the same line as the rest is as boring as watching a different rider jumping at the same place/doing the sa,me trick
    Bingo.

I'm not criticizing either movie. Roam was good, so was the Collective - I just thought the whole "soul" thing was just as cheesy as the wrestling in NWD8.

Watch what you like.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007

- I just thought the whole "soul" thing was just as cheesy as the wrestling in NWD8.

Well, the whole soul thing is what DH riding is. I can't get over the connection to surfing I feel when I ride. Just like surfing: you have to read the terrain, pick a line, express yourself, go fast and flow.........ITS ALL ABOUT THE SOUL.....What does wrestling have to do with biking?....um NOTHING! And I think a good (well rounded) film should include all aspects of MTB. NWD was too focused on DJ. They should have called it "Dirt Jump Wrestle Mania 8"

And I don't get why they are using NWD as a title? What do they know (let alone most mountain bikers) about the REAL "New World Order"?

mtbr member
    this thread should be which one sucks more .

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Does the collective have plans for a new movie?

dirt rules
    Roam is a really sweet movie, but my tastes run more towards freeride and jumping, so NWD8 is probably my favorite.
    If you buy NWD8 hoping for a DH movie, you will certainly be disappointed.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    what movie has the most footage of FR Ramps North Shore style?

mtbr member
    I'm more about the scenic movies so it's Roam for me. It's kind of like ski movies I would much rather watch big mountain stuff then a bunch of kids in the park throwing sick 7's LOL. I did buy NWD8 and will buy the next one but the collective movies are my pick so far.

Brackish
    Overall, Collective and Roam are my two favorite MTB movies. I do end up getting all of the NWD movies too, though, and NWD 8 is definately my favorite of those. My only complaint is that I could do with less hokey grab-ass and more riding, but the riding segments are great this year!

mtbr member
    Collective was better than Roam. NWD7 was better than 8. Overally Collective was best. Roam 2nd.

Riiiiiide...
    The collective movies are just that.. MOVIES. They really bring out what mtbing is all about. Most others movies are just a collection of jump clips. Although i must admit NWD8 has some of the best clips theyve done so far in that series... the Fabien Barrel clip comes to mind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast