mtbr member

RoachRally/RaceFace FR vs FR2, huge difference ?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying RoachRally FR leg pads. i've noticed that there is and older FR and newer FR2 version available. Anyone has experince with both of them?
    I was wandering what are the differences? Are they worth extra money?

Thanks for feedback!
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    anybody knows the difference? I'm also interested in buying these pads...

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have the FR2 and the overall design is the same, but the FR (05) version had some issues with the stitching tearing out after a short period of time. Also, there were some issues with the straps being too short for some people along with velcro problems.

The FR2s address these issues. At least that is the way that RF and Roach explained it to me since I have never used the 05 version.

ULTRA mtbr member
    those are the raceface logoed pads. and the price is a tad more if i recall
    [SIZE="3"]150mmx15mm hadley V10 hub [/SIZE] for sale PM ME

ROGUE

MY SPONSORHOUSE

Glad to Be Alive
    any links???? would be interested in seeing difference......my wraps are too long and the stiching does start coming out of the knee cup.....Kona had this issue and switched to a rivet....oh that rivet would slice your knee to shreds....needless to say they are lucky they didn't get sued. Well at least by me
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr remember
    yeah, I'd be interested in the differences as well.......
    I have some pretty old Roach's, from before the raceface deal, so I'm assuming they would be regular FR's.... but I have had no problems with them at all.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    any links???? would be interested in seeing difference......my wraps are too long and the stiching does start coming out of the knee cup.....Kona had this issue and switched to a rivet....oh that rivet would slice your knee to shreds....needless to say they are lucky they didn't get sued. Well at least by me
    These are FR2 http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r2+Leg+06.aspx
    and these are older ones http://www.ride-this.com/Roach-Rally...-40010003.html
    you can't really tell the difference from the pictures IMO... Victor from Ride-this told me they will be receiving FR2 soon and he's going to write me what are those differences in reality.

RF page says only that for 2006 : "
    NEW STRAPPING SYSTEM: Slight modifications to the angle and placement of the straps for better fit and function."
    Passion beyond reason!

Glad to Be Alive
    stiching looks the same.......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Freeride / Downhill Dude
    I recal something about dough-nut shaped foam around the knee area on the newer pads to keep them in position better.

At the time of purchase I thought I was getting the FR2s but when they came they were the FRs. I've had no problems so not really bothered.
    I'm on the Twitter.

Going for a ride......
    These are the ones I purhcased about two months ago. Race Face FR. I use them at least once a week and no stitching issues yet - even if there was at least it would be easy to fix! Fox Launch pads that I got before these, well the strap stitching came undone within 2 rides and the strap began deteriorating badly - plus from memory if one of the straps deteriorated you'd be stuffed. In hindsight don't use the velcro on the Launch Pads to adjust them, just leave them & use the clips! Too bad if you have to adjust them a few times to get it right. Anyway back to the Race Face, straps are not too long for me at all and I can see them being easy to replace with fresh ones down the track if the need arose. Did I mention that they're very pedal friendly - comfy to pedal it.
    I never had the old version myself so can't make a direct comparison. To me they look essentaially the same - perhaps they used stronger string for stitching or made sure it's tied off properly??

I'll assume these are the old version (Roaches) which are not mine.

energetix

Going for a ride......
    The DH version is the one that has the knee stabiliser doghnut thingy I believe.
    energetix

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    The DH version is the one that has the knee stabiliser doghnut thingy I believe.
    I don't know about the donut (or doughnut???) pad inside, but the DH version has a covered back portion, not just open straps like the FR...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    yes and some mesh on the back of it

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    I just bought the Race Faces a coupl'a months ago & the straps were super tight for the 1st month then they stretched out and they're fine now. Good pads IMO. I used the Roach version of them prior to the Race Faces & the Roaches did exactly as SMT said, straps too long, stitching comin' loose. I stitched mine back w/Stren Spyder Wire 50lb test fishing line. The straps are still too long, guess I should'a shortened them when I was stichin'em up. Anyways, they're good pads too.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Going for a ride......
    Don't have a pic of it (I did see one somewhere) but this is what Ace1 was talking about:

KNEE STABILIZATION PAD: Centers the knee to ensure proper armor placement and minimizes armor movement.

http://www.raceface.com/apparel/protection/rallydh.htm
    energetix

mtbr member
    Thanks for all feedback, still waiting for some info from ride-this...
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    don't know anything about the FR2, but my old Roach's are the sh*t... climb all day with them on and they protect my entire leg from the knee cap to the ankle. I recently picked up the arm pads and they're equally comfy, but the velcro straps are a little short given the size large pads...

mtbr member
    I heard one case where the DH pads with the extra "doughnut pad" inside the knee cap caused chaffing. I have the FR and had to shorten the straps for my skinny legs. Now they're tight.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    I heard one case where the DH pads with the extra "doughnut pad" inside the knee cap caused chaffing. I have the FR and had to shorten the straps for my skinny legs. Now they're tight.
    so, how did you shorten your straps?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    just sewed the strap velcro closer and cut off the excess strap.