mtbr member
    Aug 2007

RM7 DH frame questions...

Hey guys, I just picked up an '02 (I think) Rocky Mountain RM7 frame last night for $80 bucks. It's in good shape, no cracks or dents, and all the bearings are smooth. I'm trying to build a bike park able bike on a budget getting used parts as I find them over the winter. I have a couple questions about this frame. The rear shock feels good and the damping works with no leaks which is a plus. For those that have owned or ridden an RM7, what spring did you run? It has a 700 lb. spring on there now. I weigh about 180 but like a softer ride. I don't do any huge drops or jumps but like to ride fast over the rough stuff. I ran a 450 lb. spring on my old Spec Team DH but I know the different linkage designs will play into different springs. My other question is about wheels. I found a page on bikepedia about the '02 RM7 DH and it said it came with a 24" rear wheel. Was this bike's rear end designed around a 24" rear wheel? The FR model came with a 26" rear wheel. I would really like to run 26" wheels front and rear with 2.35-2.5 tires. Can I fit a 26" rear wheel with a 2.35"?

Thanks guys for any help! It's not easy finding info on an older frame.

Robbie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RM7 DH frame questions...-24087164.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Don't you have a 26" wheel you could toss in there to see if it fits? That would probably be the easy way to find out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here ya go:

BikePedia - 2002 Rocky Mountain RM7 DH Complete Bicycle

As far as the 26" on the DH model, not likely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ya I didn't think to test fit with a 26" wheel. I'll pull one off my wife's bike and try that when I get home. I just thought I'd ask it since I was starting a thread for the shock spring. Is there anybody out there that still rides one of these bikes?

mtbr member
    Congrats I had a 6 and a 7 a little flexy but ripped it up on course...was a fun play bike.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey bullcrew, was your 7 a 24" rear wheel only? I'm not totally bummed about it except rear wheels are going to be harder to source, or I'll have to build one. Are the rear hubs just a standard quick release or some funky rear hub I'll have to track down also? LOL. And any insight on a rear shock spring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Turns out the DH does fit a 26" rear wheel!!! I put one in off my wife's bike which has a 2.1 tire and there was plenty of room to fit probably a 2.5 back there. That just made my wheelset search so much easier!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Subydrift View Post
    Turns out the DH does fit a 26" rear wheel!!! I put one in off my wife's bike which has a 2.1 tire and there was plenty of room to fit probably a 2.5 back there. That just made my wheelset search so much easier!
    Make sure to cycle through the suspension with the 26" tire to verify no conflict

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I will double check and cycle the suspension just to verify but it fits as if it was designed around a 26" wheel but they sold it with a 24" because that was the fad at the time as Specialized was doing the same with their BigHits. The tire is centered in the swing arm so I'm pretty sure it will be fine. I'll post a pic of the clearance this evening.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it will be fine, but better to know now than your first ride when you damage your bike or yourself.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Nobody's old enough on here any more...

I ran one of these for 2 seasons. A 26 with a generous 2.5 will fit fine. Only thing that could be a problem is the chain can get grabbed by the tire sometimes. Just run a Minion-ish sized tire and it's fine. In the last couple years I had it, I ran a 24 to get the BB height in check.

The reason the spring rate is sky high, is due to shock length. Did you happen to notice it runs a 2 inch stroke shock for 7 inches of travel?!? That's a 3.5 to 1 leverage ratio... My large came stock with an 850 spring!

Had lots of fun on mine. Good memories...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the insight Uncle Cliffy! Good to know info. I'm excited to get this thing built! I've ordered everything but wheels/tires, fork, BB, chainguide, and brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had am RM7 back in the day. It was 01 and it definitely fit a huge tire on a 26 inch wheel fine. I don't remember much about the rear shock but I had it set up with a Super T. Most of the parts that came on it were crap, but the frame and fork we're solid.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5