Thread: RM Flatline 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

RM Flatline 3

I'm buying a 2009 RM flatline 3 and just want some opinions on this bike especially for dh and any problems anyone has had. Thanx in advance !

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I have the 2008 model. You're getting a very stable and stiff bike... Low CG and long chainstays make this a high speed machine.

I've been really happy with mine, but I'm probably going to sell it to get something lighter. I really like the handling and geometry in general, but I want to try more of a race bike. This thing is a monster truck!

Overall the design of the bike is solid. Really stiff... My main gripe with the design are the rear dropouts. Changing a flat is a PIA! Derailleur hanger is part of the dropout clamp and you need a 4mm ball allen to loosen/tighten the clamps for the axel.

Hope I helped. Any other questions, ask away!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Flatline is a great bike, highly recommended and so much fun to ride, you are gonna love it. The only cons are:

- Bit heavy but you get used to it. I actually like how heavy it is cause feels strong and give you confidence when hitting the big stuff.
    - The bolt on the main pivot in rear suspension might break. It has happened to me twice but RM should have fixed the issue by now (my one is a 2008). I have been given spare bolts "just in case".

clyde in training
    you haven't bought it yet, have you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's on lay-away and almost mine ! i know it's heavy, but so am I ! I also made sure that the rear linkage bolt was "fixed" and my LBS assured me that the problem was in the old bolt and RM fixed this problem, but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks again for the replies and keep them coming !

mtbr member
    Luck of the draw. I have had mine 2 seasons and the rear linkage bolt hasnt given me any problems at all. You will shave weight off of it by upgrading the old parts when they wear out with better quality ones. Mine comes in at around 42lbs now but a huge amount of my weight savings is due to running a tubeless setup with lighter pedals, cranks, bars and seat. I agree wiht the rear drop outs, a real PITA to change.

Everyone that rides my bike loves the feel of it. Its low, slack and fast. You get real changes in the feel of how it handles by playing around with the rear shock mounting points which brings in the HA by about a degree and raises the BB which makes it more fun on tighter technical tracks.

jones'in
    I just got rid of my Flatline for something a little lighter and more 'FR' (a Corsair Maelstrom). But, the Flatline was good for what it was.....a 'monster truck' as UC put it. My confidence was always really high on Flatline because I knew that I could plow over anything and it would save me from riding like a total hack most of the time.

But, the chainstays are a little long and it's a little heavy (the two main reasons I sold it).

If this is going to be a dedicated DH machine for you, you're going to love it.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just want to say thanks for all the replys! If i had posted this on my home forum (colorado frontrange) I likely would be lynched ! They have tried before and really seem to hate gravity riding around here. I am totally ok with the weight and actually prefer to "plow through" rather than go around ! at 250 pounds, I am not the most nimble person ! What bars are people running ? prefer somethig 29-30 inches. also, anyone know what size spring i should run on the rear (dhx 3) ?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnytractor
    What bars are people running ? prefer somethig 29-30 inches. also, anyone know what size spring i should run on the rear (dhx 3) ?
    I'm running Chromag Fubar OSX's. Pretty good bend. As for the spring; check out this calculator.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.