mtbr member
    Aug 2008

RF next sl low riser bar strong enough for (light) DH

maybe a noob question and if necessary, please move this to the noob corner but anyhow, here it goes...

I'm very happy with my next sl low riser bar and I was curious, could I use it on a DH bike in the future?
    I've looked around a bit and it seems it's very similar in specs (and pricepoint) to a Easton monkeylite DH riser bar and a Gravity DH carbon riser bar and also the Control Tech House Riser Bar wich is meant for 'all types of MTB riding'...

Obviously the next sl riser bar is less wide then the DH bars, but when it comes to strenght, would it be able to handle (light) DH riding?

I like the Easton monkeylite DH riser bar alot, so if I wanted a carbon DH bar in the future this would seem the perfect choice, however, I think it looks absolutely horrible with that 'gold' part in the middle... (I know looks aren't everything, but I can't mount a bar that looks like crap to me)

thanks for your help in advance

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    unless you like the imprint of your stem on your face, not a good idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    so what makes the other bars so much stronger then?

the Control Tech House Riser Bar and the Gravity DH carbon riser bar are both made of 3K carbon composite weave, just like my RF Next SL and they also have reinforced crushzones and a similar pricepoint, so wouldn't the strength be pretty much the same?
    (especially the Control Tech House, since it's weight is only 20gr. more and it's considerably longer and it's described as 'all types of MTB riding)

Addicted
    May 2006
    I ride the Race Face Next SL Low carbon bar on my dirt jump/urban bike and I've never had any problems. However I would not run them on my DH bike.Personally I think they are WAY too narrow to maintain any sort of control at speed.
    I'm pretty comfortable with running carbon parts and how to check them for stress, in fact my DH bike has a handful of carbon on it. I would not be comfortable putting a lightweight cross country intended bar on a bike that I'm bouncing through roots and trees at 30mph.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks for the tip, so if you can run it on a dirt jump bike, strengthwise it would also survive AM and (light) DH?
    if this was a 710mm wide bar, it would end up being a bit heavier and ideal for DH I guess?
    hope Race Face will come with a carbon DH bar soon, otherwise I'll have to go with the Easton Monkeylite DH riser bar I guess, even though I still think it looks like crap with that 'gold' on the center, dunno, easton bars seem too busy in design to me...

what bar are you running on your DH bike Kevin?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Seriously, if you are going to run a carbon bar you are free to do so, but i warn you when it breaks it will be catastrophic failure resulting you having a stem imprint in your face. I know people who run the FSA Gravity carbon and Easton Monkeylite DH With confidence so maybe i am just paranoid. Your handle bars take alot of force when you take flight. I guess if you keep your wheels on the ground its not such a bad idea.

Personally i believe that Scandium/Titanium bars are the best. to bad they are so hard to find.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sounds like a good idea to me!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Sounds like a good idea to me!
    you mean scandium/titanium bars or?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    another question, if it's between the FSA gravity carbon or the Easton Monkeylite DH, what's the better bar? The FSA obviously looks better, but is it worth the extra 20 ish dollars?

also, I found the Monkeylite DH 2007 for about $99 and the 2008 version is $139, what's the difference, if any?