mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Revolution bike park wales

So I'm planning a trip to revolution bike park wales in early November on a hardtail with a few upgrades (Norco torrent)

Just wondering if anyone else has done the same as I'm going with friends on dh bikes

Cheers

mtbr member
    I've never been to that park, so I can't comment on the trails specifically, but I've spent a lot of years riding hard tails on trails as rough or rougher than most of the blue (intermediate trails) and even black diamond trails at the parks I've been to.

The difference with bike parks though is that you're doing way more laps in a day than when pedaling to the top, and you usually have to deal with a lot more braking bumps and bomb holes on bike park trails. Those high frequency bumps really take a toll on your body (hands in particular) over the course of the day.

Also, it really depends on what hard tail you are talking about. If it's a hardtail with short travel fork and steep XC geometry, you'll probably spend most of your day trying to catch up to your mates on their DH bikes. If it's a more of an all-mountain hardtail with slacker geometry and say 140mm or more fork, you may do OK on many of the trails.

If you're comfortable jumping, and can hit the transitions without casing them, you'd be OK on machine built jump trails (aside from the braking bumps). On slower speed hand-built style technical trails, you can do a lot on a hardtail if you're smooth and have good technique.

But, all in all, you'll be at a major disadvantage to your friends on DH bikes if you're riding the more challenging terrain at a typical bike park.

If it's within your budget, consider renting a DH bike or even an enduro bike. You, and your friends will probably have more fun if you do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Was in revo about a month back. Great great place. All my friends were on downhill bikes and I was on my new slash 9.9 29er. I never felt out of place

There was as many enduro bikes as dh bikes that day.

The trails aren't really rough...and braking bumps not so much either

The trail 'ffar side'...now that's steep!

The free ride track has been redone in the last few weeks too and looks ace. Can't wait to get back again next year

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Cheers for the replys 👍 I just need to get down rogate and practice the doubles as I've been looking on YouTube and there's some mad doubles at revo and I don't want to bottle them!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the slash 9.9 29er a full sus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcoJ View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the slash 9.9 29er a full sus?
    Yea it is. Just saying I didn't feel out of depth with friends on full-on DH bikes

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    @NorcoJ.....here is your answer:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rattli...ideo-2017.html

I officially declare this thread....CLOSED.