Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    84

    Replacing my suspension: 2004 Big Hit Comp

    I am running a stock 2004 big hit comp and I am ready to think about putting in some solid suspension.

    I am rocking a Marzocchi DJ 2 with 150mm travel in the front and an Answer Manitou Swinger with 5.5" travel in the rear.

    I weigh 170lbs and like freeride/all mountain stuff. Flow jump/drop/gap lines and trips to Whistler. I am looking for a decent upgrade and don't want to spend over 1k$ total between the two.

    Anyone have any tips for me? I am pretty new to bike part replacement like this, so be kind!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yomattyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    338
    Hey man, i rocked that bike for 2.5 years and did the upgrades as well. you can't go wrong with the DHX coil, and if you go up to the 8.5 x 2.75 you'll gain an inch of travel in the rear as well.

    up front, thats up to you, ANYTHING will be better than that DJ2. those suckers were crazy stiff. On a budget, i've been hearing great things about the domains, i'm even about to pick up a 318 uturn for my AM sled. but if you're really able to spend 1k$, find a used DHX 5.0 and pickup a boxxer Race team, you can find em on bike bling right now for like 750$ or something if you put in the "realdeal" coupon code. I had a manitou travis that i'm still riding on my current ride as well i picked up on pinkbike for 250 bucks that is still going strong. not much love out there for manitou, but it's been a huge upgrade for me for plushness.

    however I did just re-read your post and given you're more into the FR/AM stuff, i'd say get a single crown Domain, or the coil Lyrik in the 170mm.... may be better for climbing over the 200 mm dual crown...that's more of a DH setup.

    good luck!
    Last edited by yomattyo; 03-22-2010 at 11:13 PM.
    2009 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2008 Transition Blinside


    Bikes are kewl.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    84
    Hey man thanks for the reply. Assuming I couldn't find a DHX 5.0 in the size I need at a decent price, any other suggestions? Ebay is kicking my butt on those things and Pinkbike is way overpriced for used shocks.

  4. #4
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,177
    forget the DHX 5.0....look for an old vanilla r and have it sent to Push industries,,,way better then the dhx

    or better yet..just send your swinger in for service (does push do it or avalanche or others)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    forget the DHX 5.0....look for an old vanilla r and have it sent to Push industries,,,way better then the dhx

    or better yet..just send your swinger in for service (does push do it or avalanche or others)
    I am pretty bummed, I just lost an ebay bid on a DHX 5.0 serviced by Push.

    How much should a used Vanilla R cost and how much does Push charge for their services? Sorry for so many questions, really new at this.

    Thanks kindly for all your help,

  6. #6
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    Serviced does not mean tuned.

    Tuned does not mean that it was tuned for your weight, riding style, and suspension design.

  7. #7
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by justinhaddeland
    I am pretty bummed, I just lost an ebay bid on a DHX 5.0 serviced by Push.

    How much should a used Vanilla R cost and how much does Push charge for their services? Sorry for so many questions, really new at this.

    Thanks kindly for all your help,
    150
    for customed to your bike, riding style and weight
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  8. #8
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,258
    My vote would be spend $1k on a used frame and save some money for a new fork. You'll be amazed how much better modern DH bikes ride compared to your old Big Hit.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    My vote would be spend $1k on a used frame and save some money for a new fork. You'll be amazed how much better modern DH bikes ride compared to your old Big Hit.

    Any suggestions on a frame? I bought a 2009 Rock Shox Domain 318IS Coil U-Turn 115-160mm last night.

  10. #10
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    nice fork. with your 1k budget i think you will have to look for screamin deals or buy used.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yomattyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    338
    you should be able to find something for htat. i found a used blindside frame for 600 bucks last year (no shock though). so stuff is out there...

    good luck!
    2009 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2008 Transition Blinside


    Bikes are kewl.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    84
    Oh no, Chainlove what have you made me do. I cannot afford this.

    I just bought the Titus El Guapo frame that was on Chainlove for 720$. It does come with a solid rear shock though so I am going to stick with my Rock Shox Domain fork and toss it on this guy.

    Too much money, this sport costs too much damn money.

  13. #13
    OMG!
    Reputation: adjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    415
    i know where you're coming from. i too used to have an old clapped out bike. here's what i did. keep in mind this is just what i did and it might not be the right path for you.

    i went on the internet and found directions to rebuild my shocks. spent about $30 on oil. got a free seal kit at a race. rebuilt. so now, it was good enough to ride. much better than it was.

    then, i saved $$$ and waited until the opportunity came to get a deal a new bike. since i didn't waste my money on putting better shocks on my old ass bike, i was able to afford it.

    now im big pimpin on my pimpin ass downhill bike

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80

    no way. hold on to the gem!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    My vote would be spend $1k on a used frame and save some money for a new fork. You'll be amazed how much better modern DH bikes ride compared to your old Big Hit.
    New suspension tech? It's all hot air! Bighit horstlink is the plushest (still) rear suspension I know. Climbs efficiently!

    I love my 2003 Bighit Comp! I still run the rear @ 6.3in and have upgraded the front to a 2007 marzocchi 66 rc2 ETA.

    Btw, based on your travel, you must have the Red 2003 bighit like me.

    The rear with the stock vanilla r set at 6.3 in travel is great!
    In the front, the 66 with the eta is amazing! Bomber for the dh and the ETA locks down at 40mm and you can climb soo easily!

    I've also got a 2009 Titus El Guapo and made the mistake of getting a fox36vanr. selling it and just grabbed a 2005 Z1 Freeride ETA. Super excited for it to arrive so I can ride with eta on my Guapo!

    Anyway, hold on to your killer frame! Try to score a 66 or a 55 with ETA!
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80

    Are you sure about the travel upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by yomattyo
    Hey man, i rocked that bike for 2.5 years and did the upgrades as well. you can't go wrong with the DHX coil, and if you go up to the 8.5 x 2.75 you'll gain an inch of travel in the rear as well.

    up front, thats up to you, ANYTHING will be better than that DJ2. those suckers were crazy stiff. On a budget, i've been hearing great things about the domains, i'm even about to pick up a 318 uturn for my AM sled. but if you're really able to spend 1k$, find a used DHX 5.0 and pickup a boxxer Race team, you can find em on bike bling right now for like 750$ or something if you put in the "realdeal" coupon code. I had a manitou travis that i'm still riding on my current ride as well i picked up on pinkbike for 250 bucks that is still going strong. not much love out there for manitou, but it's been a huge upgrade for me for plushness.

    however I did just re-read your post and given you're more into the FR/AM stuff, i'd say get a single crown Domain, or the coil Lyrik in the 170mm.... may be better for climbing over the 200 mm dual crown...that's more of a DH setup.

    good luck!
    Are you talking about the red 2003 bighit comp? And adding a 8.5x2.5 rear shock really gave it a perfectly functional extra inch of travel just as good as stock?

    How'd it perform? Did you eventually get rid of it? Did it break like that?

    I've been considering a travel upgrade kit but they're hard to find anymore.
    Still love the bike though it rocks!
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •