mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Remember when: old school North Shore Freeride... Huck 2 phlatt... Bikes?

It wasn't that long ago that the word Freeride was the most used word in mountain biking.

Old school ladders, skinnies, 15' drops, North shore Freeride, etc.

I live in a little Midwest bubble, but back then, we had 7-8" travel bikes that didn't have crazy seat tube angles like on DH bikes so you could still pedal them on flat ground and uphill through the woods but do road gaps and huge drops etc...

Think Santa Cruz Bullit

It seems like Enduro is the popular word these days. 160mm bikes that look like a light Freeride bike. Trails today are getting more groomed and drops have nice transitions so a lighter bike will handle it without your wheelset imploding.

But... Once in a while, you run across trails with drops to nearly no trannies.

What's bikes are out there these days that have 180-200mm travel that don't have DH geometry?

I haven't followed in a while so I'm a bit out of touch.

Honestly, I wish they still made a simple Santa Cruz Bullit/totem...a 180mm big drop bike that can be built sub 29#.

Anything?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Only bikes I can think of off the top of my head are the Pivot Firebird, and that's 170mm travel and not exactly simple. Polygon makes a new 180mm bike with the new Naild R3ACT suspension that is supposed to pedal like a bike with way less travel but I don't know if it's available stateside. XQUARONE EX 9 | Polygon https://www.pivotcycles.com/bike/firebird/#1

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks man. I'll start looking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My pleasure, happy hunting and good luck!

Glad to Be Alive
    Canfield Blance reminds me of the old Kona Stinky's....but way lighter and way better suspension....I ride it on some local secret trails...Highly recommend
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    NS Soda Evo, 180mm...

NS Bikes 2017 - Stay True!

Available with air or coil shock. Fits 27.5 wheels, but there's a flip-chip to shorten the chainstays if you want 26 (which is how mine is set up).

A couple years ago I decided that I wanted a bike that rides like my DH bike but doesn't weigh so much... Went looking for a bike with a short seat tube, reach in the 440mm range, 180mm travel, to set up with an air shock and a single crown air fork. This checked all the boxes. It's about 33 pounds if I remember right. I've been really happy with it, and plan to keep riding it for a long time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The reason I was looking into something like this is b/c I have some local trails that have no elevation to speak of...so I can't climb, climb, climb to the top and then enjoy some sweet DH for any period of time, but I do have to pedal, pedal, pedal just about all the time...and there are some sizeable drops...often to nearly flat. I'm not comfortable dropping a 160mm bike 6-feet to flat at my 215lbs. If there were nice trannies to land on, I wouldn't think too much about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You could try a older Mojo HD, should be strong enough, 160mm in the back, up to a 180 in front and pedals exceedingly well. Shorter top tube to help with those wheely drops when you're going tall to flat.

OR keep you eyes peeled on ebay. You would probably be able to build up a bullit for dirt cheap Example: Santa Cruz bullit frame with fox DHX 5.0 | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah...I saw a local pick up only bullit in Large in Cali that I was droolin' over. It doesn't make sense on today's flow trails, but those don't in any way represent what I've got to ride on.

I'd rather have the late model Bullit that uses external BB bearings as a main pivot. It was a longer travel frame. BEEFY! And either a Totem or even an 888 from back then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Or this

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2211693/

minus the whole local pickup thing

But riding in Bellingham would be worth the drive.

oh Jolina!!!
    Banshee Darkside.

Switchable rear dropout makes it nearly future proof.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    The reason I was looking into something like this is b/c I have some local trails that have no elevation to speak of...so I can't climb, climb, climb to the top and then enjoy some sweet DH for any period of time, but I do have to pedal, pedal, pedal just about all the time...and there are some sizeable drops...often to nearly flat. I'm not comfortable dropping a 160mm bike 6-feet to flat at my 215lbs. If there were nice trannies to land on, I wouldn't think too much about it.
    try the balance they are brutaly strong
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Completely blanked on the Banshee Darkside, that is about as close to what you are looking for as you can get, good call Xaero.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaero View Post
    Banshee Darkside.

Switchable rear dropout makes it nearly future proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    Completely blanked on the Banshee Darkside, that is about as close to what you are looking for as you can get, good call Xaero.
    Remember when: old school North Shore Freeride... Huck 2 phlatt... Bikes?-capture.jpg

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I think the new Knolly Delirium falls perfectly into this category. If you haven't seen one check out the spec's. Great suspension, and still pedal friendly with 74-75 degree seat tube angle and routing for a dropper.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Lots of used turner hilines around, knollys, etc. many of these are such stout frames that never used anywhere close to their potential that it would make a lot more sense to buy used IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Banshee has gotten a lot better, but I still remember the 50lb Scream that would break due to design flaws. It was like "how did you manage to make a bike so heavy that still breaks?"
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

May The Force Be With You
    I still have some VHS tapes that I watch. good times! kids these days have no idea of dh/fr history

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I used to rock an old Transition Dirtbag with a 180 mm Travis single crown on it!
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Not sure you still looking but the current Intense Uzzi is that bike. 180 front; 190 rear with trail worthy geometry. I used it as my trail bike for almost a season for the reasons you mentioned. Very good technical climber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    - Knolly Delirium
    - Intense Uzzi
    - Commencal Supreme SX
    - Rose Soulfire
    - Pivot Firebird

Brackish
    The Banshee Darkside may be the last freeride bike in production. *Forgot about the Knolly Delerium!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a mint condition Transition Dirtbag Frame in Lg that's just been sitting in my house if you are interested.

I've wanted to build it up, just not a priority.

Have most of the parts. Saint cranks, 66 Fork, seat post, Chromag bars, some others.

Let me know if you are interested.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
    The Banshee Darkside may be the last freeride bike in production. *Forgot about the Knolly Delerium!
    And the NS Soda Evo.