mtbr member

Recommend me a 6" travel frame.

Ok folks, I'm toying with the idea of replacing my 99 Foes Weasel (6" travel) with another 6" travel frame.

This will be a "do it all" trail bike. It will see XC, some drops in the 6' area, jumping, and some downhilling, but no real shuttle runs. It must be front derailleur compatible, I'll be throwing triple rings on it. I'll be running a 6" travel front fork, a 2001 Super T for now and maybe a Marz Z150 in the future. I'd like it to be rather plush and supple, I don't care if pedaling suffers.

So lets hear your suggestions. It seems like 6" travel bikes are getting rare, everyone jumped up to 7" in the past few years. Also, I'll probably be buying used. I usually don't spend more that $700 on a frame, so newer Foes and Intense may be out. So far the Rocky Switch or Specialized Big Hit (not DH)has my attention.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    my ruckus would be perfect for what ur looking for...light...6" rear travel...i-drive means XC compatable...single pivot means its quick and its really manevourable...and can take the big hits...

other wise id say to go for the switch...there nice bikes that are tough and can do pretty much everything...and have a 15.headtube...

i dont really like the older 6" big hits...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

The Mountain Bike Life
    I just went throught the same search as you and I looked at TONS of bikes, the bike I chose is the Transition Dirtbag, a great all around bike that can take good beatings if you want to go to whistler or something like that. On of the best things is I talked to a ton of bike companies asking general questions, for the most part I found them less than accomadating, but then I sent an Email off to Kevin at Transition and he has been great, answered all my mundane questions and seems to be a really great guy, plus if you watch the vids on the site, the guy can rip it up too. Anyway there is my 2cents. Check them out.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/DirtBag.cfm

EDIT: It depends on your size, but I know that they might have some 03" large dirtbags for sale...left over from last yeat. They gave me a pretty good deal on mine. The regular cost is $849 with Romic shock I beleive.

In the Kitchen
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy
    I just went throught the same search as you and I looked at TONS of bikes, the bike I chose is the Transition Dirtbag, a great all around bike that can take good beatings if you want to go to whistler or something like that. On of the best things is I talked to a ton of bike companies asking general questions, for the most part I found them less than accomadating, but then I sent an Email off to Kevin at Transition and he has been great, answered all my mundane questions and seems to be a really great guy, plus if you watch the vids on the site, the guy can rip it up too. Anyway there is my 2cents. Check them out.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/DirtBag.cfm

EDIT: It depends on your size, but I know that they might have some 03" large dirtbags for sale...left over from last yeat. They gave me a pretty good deal on mine. The regular cost is $849 with Romic shock I beleive.
    I second the Transition. Good call!! Or....if you can wait a bit....Soul Cycles has a new F/S FR frame coming out later this year.
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com

TNC
    noMAD man

I'd look at a Ventana El Chamuco, too.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHLEG
    Ok folks, I'm toying with the idea of replacing my 99 Foes Weasel (6" travel) with another 6" travel frame.

This will be a "do it all" trail bike. It will see XC, some drops in the 6' area, jumping, and some downhilling, but no real shuttle runs. It must be front derailleur compatible, I'll be throwing triple rings on it. I'll be running a 6" travel front fork, a 2001 Super T for now and maybe a Marz Z150 in the future. I'd like it to be rather plush and supple, I don't care if pedaling suffers.

So lets hear your suggestions. It seems like 6" travel bikes are getting rare, everyone jumped up to 7" in the past few years. Also, I'll probably be buying used. I usually don't spend more that $700 on a frame, so newer Foes and Intense may be out. So far the Rocky Switch or Specialized Big Hit (not DH)has my attention.
    Just recently noticed this frame--has a very burly construction and is apparently very laterally rigid. It is also very ecomomical considering Ventana's quality. The frame weighs under 8 lbs. which is fairly light for a beefed frame. There are some posts about this frame within the last 7-8 days on the suspension or DH/FR forum. Do a search. It appears it's worth consideration.

mtbr member

chap?

You could also check out the banshee chaparral, I know I've seen a few for sale used. They are a bit heavier than frames like the el cham, but are super beefy as well. It seems like a lot of people looking for a bike capable of trail and freeride are liking the chap. Ask BansheeRider about em as he seems to be the authority on banshee goodness...

chaparral

mtbr member
    May 2004

I like my new '04 Bighit comp, it can be swtiched from 6.2" for XC to 7.5" for freeride and downhill

75% Mountain cycle

San Andreas all the way

I went from a '98 Foes Weasel to the San Andreas and love it. I've got a '03 Shiver SC with the ECC on it now, Full XT, Rhino Lites, and it comes in at 31 lbs. That's dang respectable. It's a lot like the older Weasel, sinple single pivot in about the same place. www.greefishsports.com has the '03 for $699 new w /6" travel (fox vanilla). I paid $899 from cambria for the short travel version.

If you get the 5th element air shock you can drop a pound off it and get it in about 7 lbs frame with rear shock.

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chillin the Most
    Foes FXR. IMO, this is by far the sweetest 6'' frame out. For more infor click on picture...

Pro Crastinator
    Kona Stinky

tried and true........

mtbr member

Cove G-Spot

I ride one, it's relatively cheap (at least here in Canada) super well made, super strong, great with single or dual crown forks over 6", and absolutely rocks with a 5th element. www.covebike.com

VIA
    banned
    DeVinci Guzzler
    Go to ebay , there is one for sell there....
    PS. for what you said that you need the frame for this one is perfect for ya...Is very light ,can take rear del. and 3 rings...,is used and much less than 700usd... now go and bid on it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VIA; 07-12-2004 at 10:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ventana La Bruja

Check out the Ventana La Bruja at:http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_labruja.html
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kona Stinky

Get the Dee-lux if ya can afford it...but don't worry if you get the base model..no problems...just a little less bling.
    I got an '02 Stinky with a few upgrades and it rocks !!
    Last edited by nydave; 07-12-2004 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Kinda suprised no one has mentioned the Yeti AS-X. Great bike, and you should be able to find one used in your range. Great all around bike. Can take the big hits and still pedal uphill.

a'buh?
    the AS-X is a good bet, and can be adjusted up to 7.5 in og travel.

If you want a truly six incher-I'd say either the g-spot (heavier and burlier) or the Dirt bag (slightly less burly, but still really beefy.) The Switch would also be a good bet. The stinky is a great value, and is readily available anywhere. Ride as many as you can (of course kit will make a difference, but you'll get an idea) and decide from there.
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay