mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Rear shock for larger rider learning to jump?

I'm riding a 2002 Devinci Magma: 2002 Devinci Magma - BikePedia

With a 190mm KS 291 rear shock: ks

I weigh 210lbs and have been bottoming out on this cheap shock while learning how to jump. Can you folks recommend a better shock that I can put on this bike while I'm still learning how to make softer landings?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wouldn't waste money investing it into that bike. Get yourself on a budget or do some overtime so you can save up some coin for something newer.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    what would I be looking for in a newer bike? better rear suspension design? longer travel? this bike is in excellent shape so I'd like to beat on it for a season or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    what would I be looking for in a newer bike? better rear suspension design? longer travel? this bike is in excellent shape so I'd like to beat on it for a season or two.
    Better everything really. Bikes in general, and FS bikes especially have come a long way since 2002.
    Putting a decent shock on that bike is probably a bit of a waste, but you should be able to get a stiffer spring for less than $40.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You could get a faAAAAAAr better bike with a muUUUUUUUch better shock used for the price of a brand new shock to put on that thing.Putting money on that bike is a complete waste and if you want to learn how to jump you should get a hardtail

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a hard tail I'm learning to jump on as well but I'm keeping this bike for another year or two and would like to spend $100-200 to upgrade the rear shock because it bottoms out on the trails I'm using it on.

The current shock has a 750lb spring on it but it's very soft and is probably worn out, any idea where to get a replacement?

Would any of these be a good upgrade or will I blow them up doing my small (1 meter) hard landings?

Manitou Radium Expert Lock-Out 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    X Fusion O2 RLi Rear Shock | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Manitou Radium R Shock 2010 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post

The current shock has a 750lb spring on it but it's very soft and is probably worn out, any idea where to get a replacement?

Man , I know those older frames and Vanilla shock required higher spring rate but still, a # 750 and your are bottoming it all the time ??!!!!! . . .Man, I dont know , its been a while since I have been on a setup like yours and bikes have come a LOOOOONG way since that Devinci but Id say the shock is probably fine and the rider might be the issue here...No disrespect but are you by any chance SITTING when you are riding ???What/ Where/when are you bottoming the bike ?

An air shock for heavy riders is generally NOT an ideal solution...If you are able to run enough pressure in it for your weight , chances are , it'll feel like poop and will give you all sorts of problems...

Whats your sag on that thing ? 20, 25, 30, 40 % in the rear ?If you havent checked that, start there, if you get less than 30% , still bottom all the time and are somewhat a semi decent rider, than the thing being 11 years old might need a rebuild...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, I am still using the seat a bit, and my form is way off, which is why I'm practicing on an old bike

To clarify the weight, I'm 190lbs and I've attached an extra 20lbs to the bike in the form of a motor and batteries to make an electric freeride bike like this one (not my video, but same motor kit):

So landings are always going to be a little hard, due to riding a heavy bike.

I am fairly certain the spring is worn, I need to tighten it to 80-90% down the threading for it to feel 'nice' and that is why it bottoms out so quickly. if I loosen it to around 30% and lift the rear of the bike the spring is totally loose and moves around. A new spring would be great but it doesn't seem like KS sells them anywhere.

Money is not a huge issue, I saved quite a bit by buying an old bike and fixing it up. Maybe something like this Rockshox Pro DLX would be a nice cheap upgrade until I buy myself a nice new clearance bike in the winter? Rockshox PRO DLX Rear Shock 7 5 X 2 0 NEW Never Used | eBay

I figure any $100-200 shock should be a big improvement over an 11 year old shock that retailed for $65?

Slap happy crappiness
    If you're too lazy to pedal your BICYCLE then I'm to lazy to offer constructive advice.
    Sorry... that was mean.
    Still too lazy to help you, looks like I was correct.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I smell popcorn..
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I still pedal, but approximately 7 horses are helping me

It's a blast doing downhill stuff on the way up or on flats!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Putting a motor on a bicycle is the lamest thing you can possibly do. If you want a motor on two wheels then get into moto. Bicycling needs to remain bicycling.

As far as upgrading the shock, I agree it would be counter-productive. Bikes have come a LONG way since 2002, especially downhill frames. Geometry has changed 100%. As have components. My brother has a 2007 Iron Horse 7point he is selling for $700 that would perform exponentially better than your bike with a CC DB installed on it. And his has low-end suspension, Manitou Metal rear and some Marz fork.

If money isnt in an issue, like you say, then $500 more to your budget can get you a used complete that would be much more enjoyable for you to ride and perform much better. If you took $1000 to the used market, you could get something quite decent. I wouldn't waste your money on putting a new shock on there. If you have a hardtail you are jumping on, keep doing that. hardtails and bmx's force you to improve technique and all those skills will transfer to full suspension.

whatever you do, take that stupid motor off. or atleast don't mention it here so you don't come across as a bogan to all the internet jockeys

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Fair enough, I won't invest too much money into this bike but I would like to use it for the rest of the summer since I can get a nice new bike in the middle of winter for half price.

Does anyone know how I would go about getting a replacement spring for the KS 291 shock, or can someone recommend a cheap replacement shock that will fit this frame? I'll stick to practicing the bigger jumps on the hardtail for now

Don't worry too much about the motor, not everyone likes to try new things!

I have plenty of normal bicycles, if you need to check my street cred.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Depending on the personal situation i suppose i could look past the motor haha but as far as a new rear spring/shock, you need to see if you can find the specs for that frame. It will tell you what length and stroke shock it uses. you only need to know the stroke if you are going to get a spring, but if you replace it you need to make sure it has the correct i2i and stroke. a new shock would perform better than whats on there, but like everyone else has said, the less money you put into it the better. i would look for a new spring, but ive never heard of a 750lb spring, much less a higher rated one. might be extremely difficult to find an 800/850/900. i cant even believe those numbers are being tossed around in terms of rear springs lol might just have to stick it out with what ya got. definitely look into a complete bike when you can. $1000 on the used market is a good entry point in terms of something that will not hold you back. $2000 even better. $3000+ gets you something thats world cup ready if you do your shopping.

RideDirt
    Wrong forums , thread , section , mindset, idea , and post .

First of all thats not a DH bike , second of all members offered you the BEST advice already . I would recommend using the motor on the bike to ride it off a cliff , this would be the most ideal upgrade for you . Stop wasting time on that bike . If your riding hard , it probably wont last you another year on DH trails .

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not...

But check out these spring rates from the site for the shock! 450-2500 LBS/IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now