Keep on Rockin...

Rear braking grip DHRII vs HRII ? (DH casing 275)

The DHF I put out back has some limitations. Seems to lack straight on braking grip. Figured it might but I had it as a spare and was in need of a rear tire.

Using it on my DH bike for a very steep, techy, wet, rocky, rooty old school mountain. I've used the DHRII in the past with good success. I also really learned to like the Magic Mary I ran but I tore the side knobs clean off in 3 days on my hill. But, before that Mary died I felt it hooked up super well. I am interested in trying the new Addixx version.

We have a lot of wet, steep chutes coming into turns where aggressive braking is needed. The DHF's center line knobs just ain't digging in like the paddle like knobs on the DHRII.

I will likely go back to the DHRII, but considered the HRII as well. With the HRs open tread pattern I think that might work well but its knobs are small and are likely to wear down faster. While our mountain is slick and wet, there is not much mud to pack the tires.

Another tire is the Maxxis Shorty. If that tire were a little bigger I'd likely run that, but I do like running bigger, heavier tires on my local hill. It's a rim killer, and has pretty much zero pedaling, so rolling resistance is a non-issue.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm a big fan of the DHR2, use it front & back on both my DH rig and trail bike. Besides great all conditions grip, best thing is its braking performance - solid & predictable.

I used HR2 with good results in dry but hated it in the wet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Use what you know works. DHR has big whoa....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    DRF front and DHRII is my combo, I'm dedicated to this combo for life. I have tried many other sets but nothing compares to the Minion set.

Magic Mary is a shit tire for duration. It has a good tread, but doesn't last longer than a day. They do have a "Bike Park" version that is a much harder durometer and lasts a lot longer, it's also much much cheaper. But I still think the Minions are better.

The newest of the new from Maxxis is the DHF WT DD TR and the DHRII DD TR, which is what I'm running on my DH bike. My trail bike has the DHF WT EXO TR and the DHRII DD TR.

I did run the HRII f/r on my DH bike last year as that was really the only DH tires available for the 27.5. Now they have quite a bit more selection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I either run DHRII or Magic Mary on my DH bike. DHRII up front on the other bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    If you don't run hookless carbon rims, look at the Continental Der Kaiser Projekt, sick cornering grip and braking grip is like throwing out a boat anchor.

Edit: disregard this post, Kaiser doesn't hold a line well if it's muddy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    another vote for DHRII for front and back

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have both.

The 2 tires have one big difference.

The DHR is great for straight line traction, but is looser sideways.

The DHF really doesn't like sliding sideways, but is a bit softer fore/aft traction.

I am not a great rider, and when the front slides sideways I usually crash. So I run a DHF up there.

I don't mind the rear sliding sideways a little bit, but really don't want it sliding when I am going straight down a single track with kitty litter on it. I want as much bite as possible, so I run the DHR in back.

And the last thing you want WRT sideways traction is the front breaking loose before the rear. Rear before front is not a big deal, front breaking first is a crash (for me). So I absolutely want more traction up front than back for cornering.

If I had more skill and nerve I'd be able to play with a sliding bike more, but I don't have that!