Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Re: 650b & DH...The Cat is Out of the Bag!

4K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  slimphatty 
#1 · (Edited)
Re: 650b & DH...The Cat is Out of the Bag!

Hey Folks,

I wonder what this refers to? :D

"Aaron Gwin's Q&A with the audience was the highlight of the evening. The well-spoken, down-to-earth, 2012 Downhill World Cup Series Champion let attendees in on a little secret. Aaron let slip that he just "may be testing" on something other than 26-inch wheels for his 2013 season. Interesting, very interesting."

Aaron Gwin Lets A Secret Slip At SoCal CycleFest | News | mountain-bike-action

Inquiring Minds Want To Know!

Take care,

Michael:thumbsup:

#4 ·
I suspect we'll see quite a few 650b dh bikes at Pietermaritzburg SA.
Long and very pedally course.
And KHS already has seen their bike finish third at Rampage under Bingelli.

29" DH (think big heavy rim, big tire, big big spokes) is still a monster to turn quickly. But would be fun on A Line if you give up the whips. Still a lot of lateral flex at 29" today when cornering really hard.

#9 ·
29" DH (think big heavy rim, big tire, big big spokes) is still a monster to turn quickly. But would be fun on A Line if you give up the whips. Still a lot of lateral flex at 29" today when cornering really hard.
Why perpetuate this kind of ignorance?

Yes, the hoops are larger and yes the spokes are longer. That doesn't automatically mean that there is lateral flex, nor that you have to 'give up the whips'.

It is *easy* to build a light, stiff, durable 29" wheel that can hold up to (and impress) even WC level racers.

Will it be as light as a 26" set?

No, but it won't have the inherent drawbacks either...

MC

#6 ·
I got a chance to chat with him after the event (still stoked about meeting him!) and he told me he's probably going to stick with 26. He didn't like feeling the bigger wheels, especially 29er-size flex under hard cornering. *You did not hear this from me. These are not the droids you are looking for.*

#7 ·
Good! The move from 20" wheels was enough for me, maybe I am behind the times and think of 29ers as old dude XC rigs, I know they have their place but thats the place they sit in my head :D

#8 ·
To do 650b or 29 for DH race rig, I would think you need to go carbon. And that means ENVE. And they aren't exactly giving those away. I would not be surprised to see some racers on a 650b Enve DH wheelset next year.

#16 ·
Hey Mr. Pitueee,

I've been using the same combination on my AM rig for the last two seasons as well and agree with you 100%. I've been using the 27.5" Stans Flow rim, with a Pacenti Neo-Moto tire, as my front wheel on my AM bike and it's been perfect.

Now that Stans has an even burlier 27.5" rim in the Flow EX model I'm thinking of putting it on my DH rig. It's a Santa Cruz VP Free with a Fox 40 fork. Have you heard of anyone else running these two sizes on a DH rig?

My only question is what DH tire will be available in 27.5"? I've come to appreciate the benefits of a Maxxis Minion DHF in a 2.7" size and don't want to go smaller than that.

I'm sure we'll learn more as the 2013 season unfolds.

Take care,

Michael:thumbsup:

#21 ·
I remember predicting this a few years back :) Eventually, ALL mountain bikes will essentially be 29ers or 650. 29ers for pretty much everything, and 650 for the real long travel situations where a bit more maneuverability and travel is needed. 29ers constrain the geometry too much in this realm. The 650s appear to be seeing somewhat of a resurgence with the "mid-travel" market, but I expect to see 29ers rebound back and 650 to fall out of favor after a while for mainstream, as it probably won't be economical to support two main standards, except for smaller niches like downhill.

#25 ·
Here's how this will go down: someone (doesn't matter who) shows up one weekend with a 29er or 650 b, and gets laughed at. He wins, and by a convincing margin. The next weekend, all the big players will show up with a similar bike and by the end of the season, all but a few will be running a bike other than a 26.

Once that happens, we'll see the bike companies release those bikes to the masses.

#26 ·
The hurdle even for 27.5 is chainstay length and clearance with a big tire. Riders who like Demos with Butcher 2.5s aren't gonna like a 27.5" rear wheel. My V10 has a pretty generous chainstay and I wouldn't want any longer but even on it there's not much clearance with a 2.7 Minion so it would have to get longer for a bigger wheel. The obvious answer is 26 rear, 27.5 front but are the masses willing to accept a bike with 2 different size wheels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.