Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sixsixtysix

"Rat Rod" DH Hardtail

Well, after an entire season of getting burned by newfangled gear (cough.. Zoke cough...), I decided that sometimes the simple things are better things. Not necessarily because they work better, or worse than anything else but because they take you back to the simpler time when riding a bike was done for the shear enjoyment of riding a bike.

Having grown up riding BMX and flatland freestyle back in the 80's (yes, I'm old), I spent most my time on rigid 20"s. When I got into MTBing, my first several bikes were all hardtails, all the way up until 2004 in fact. Since then my body has been broken, my joints ache and it seems that I am constantly breaking "the latest and greatest" gear, so I finally said enough. Time to get back to basic's. Time to build a new "oldschool" DH hardtail.

Using the true hotrodders mentality of building what you can with what you got, I managed to gather together enough parts between what I had sitting in the garage and what Soul Cycles was nice enough to donate (Thanks Chad!) to put this beast together.
    After taking her out on her shake down run this morning, I couldn't be happier. Sure, its harsh, its loud, you literally can't ride it any other way that standing up the whole time and you feel every bump, drop and rock in your kidneys but damn it's fun

So without further ado, I give you the "RatRod".

Specs:
    Soul Cycles Sluggo - Custom painted and pin striped with John Deere flat black paint
    2002 Monster T
    DMR ExType Chromo Cranks
    Transition Revolution 32's
    Wellgo B-57's
    Avid BB7's
    SRAM X.7/X.9 Drivetrain
    Race Face Diabolus Seatpost
    Pabst Blue Ribbon Saddle
    Geax "White Edition" Lobo Mas Loco 2.5" Tires
    Deity Bars
    Custom Clydesdale Prototype Stem
    Cane Creek Double XC Flush 1.5 - 1 1/8 Headset

Weight: 43lbs even

Total out of pocket build cost: $378

Oh, and you all can skip the "OMG WTF! A HARDTAIL WITH A MONSTER" comments, the frame was designed for it and is actually still sporting a fairly steep head angle.

StraightOuttaCompton
    thats one heavy hardtail. it has a nice spec. though. I would change the monsterTs to some 40s or boxxers and itll be around 40lb. Nice bike though.

What is the HT angle on that??
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Flyin' low
    Love the white walls.

Thats true old school chopper style.

If pro is the opposite of con, then progress is the opposite of congress?

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    thats one heavy hardtail. it has a nice spec. though. I would change the monsterTs to some 40s or boxxers and itll be around 40lb. Nice bike though.

What is the HT angle on that??
    Um, did you notice how much I spent building this thing? There is no point to dropping $1500 on a fork for it. It'll probably get ridden once a month, tops.

Head angle is 67 degrees with the 175mm Monster.

Flying Goat
    wow... that thing sure looks like a one of a kind ride... Sweet... XD

N* Bomber Crew
    Those tires, are supedo sick.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Im not a DH'er, but I love it! Wish I had that kinda talent to build something that sweet! Nice job.

StraightOuttaCompton
    thats sick. and sixsixtysix, it looks nice enough to have lots of money spent on it.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    thats sick. and sixsixtysix, it looks nice enough to have lots of money spent on it.
    Thanks, I like it. It was totally built for fun and for someone who has never ridden a Monster T until today, I can say Zoke needs to get back to basics too, those things are butter.

As for worthy of spending money on, I have my Dirtbag for my main big bike (AKA "The Money Pit") and I have been testing out the Soul Cycles new 5" AM prototype all summer as my pedaling bike, which for anyone who thinks it would be fun to be the guinea pig for a band new bike design, it's a pain in the a$$

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That's one of the nicest looking hardtails I've ever seen. Props on the style factor.

It seems backwards to me that, having been as broken and battered as you were, you would choose to use an HT for DH but if the fun has been worth it for you so far, then I guess it makes sense.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    That's one of the nicest looking hardtails I've ever seen. Props on the style factor.

It seems backwards to me that, having been as broken and battered as you were, you would choose to use an HT for DH but if the fun has been worth it for you so far, then I guess it makes sense.
    Thanks!

Yes, I have been broken and battered, and honestly, I am at the point where I hurt no matter if I am on my fully or not, so the couple times I may pull this thing out of the garage a month to ride it, won't make too much of a difference.

EastBaySteez
    That is by far the sickest DH hardtail I have ever laid eyes on.
    Just another frame to add to the list for a possible hardtail build...
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    That is by far the sickest DH hardtail I have ever laid eyes on.
    Just another frame to add to the list for a possible hardtail build...
    Thanks, unfortunately you can't get the Sluggo anymore. Soul Cycles discontinued them and gave me the last 4 frames for myself and some of our local crew. They are talking about redesigning them, but its down the line after their whole new line of full suspension bikes.

Pivotal figure
    Love that thang! Hope to see it out on the trails sometime, maybe scam a test ride? ()
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Radical... I would rock those tires all day long!

In a couple years when you re-build it, you should go for the full Barris custom metalic green paint job with some chrome lowrider mirrors...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

SamIAm
    I'd ride that
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    for someone who has never ridden a Monster T until today, I can say Zoke needs to get back to basics too, those things are butter.
    Told you so

Glad it found a good home.
    Can't wait to see this one in person.

dirt rules
    Looks awesome. 43lbs is not too bad, I bet it's a blast.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Thanks, unfortunately you can't get the Sluggo anymore. Soul Cycles discontinued them and gave me the last 4 frames for myself and some of our local crew. They are talking about redesigning them, but its down the line after their whole new line of full suspension bikes.
    Damn!
    Im using a P2 with a Talas right now as my all round hardtail. Looking to acquire a frame more DH/FR oriented.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's simply the nicest freeride/dh hardtail I've seen till now! It actually looks proportional compared to many other bikes.

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Nice bike! You must have some cool stuff lying around in your garage! all i have is crap
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

I'm geoff. Who are you?
    Jun 2007
    Super duper cool bike.

The photo makes it look miniature though!
    Hi I'm GiantGeoff. I don't really ride a Giant at all anymore. But I am pretty tall.

Nice to meat you.

sympathy for society
    That is a beast! I love that frame!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Still a child inside...
    The hottest hardtail, i've ever seen!
    Myself riding on a Sasquatch,
    so i cannot put on a triple, it's a pity.
    The look is awesome, and the weight is cool:
    heavier bike sticking better to the ground.
    I ride 95% of the time standing,
    and i cannot complain with my 66VF,
    it eats up everything...

sixsixtysix
    Thanks for all the kind words

Just goes to show you don't need to drop $5k to get a sick bike together. The frame is totally a Evil Imperial "knock off" but imitation is the dearest form of flattery right?

I am curious to see if Evil comes back at Interbike this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1