mtbr member
    May 2006

Race Face Rally DH Jacket Opinions?

It's kinda slim pickings for reviews on this Armour I guess because it's kinda new. Is anyone here riding with this armour? Did anyone buy this one and then upgrade to Dainese armour since it just didn't feel safe enough? How's the protection on your sides vs other armour? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SamIAm
    i dont know
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

Bike Hustler
    the last issue of decline had a write up on 4 different jacket style upper armors near the back of the issue and the RF was one of them. In usual decline style they just give the facts and very little opinion on the preferences of any testers.

I can say that out of the 4 shown the RF by far looks the best as far as the cool factor and also costs the most. I thnk they also look the best ventilated.
    [SIZE="4"]SHAM-WOW[/SIZE]

DenverDH'er
    It looks okay, but as far as "side protection" I don't see any at all. I think there are a few out there with rib protection, but most mainly focus on the chest, back shoulders and elbow/forarms.

I'm not crazy about the spine protection from the picture. It looks a little "lite" to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, So Interesting!
    I used it at Keystone last year, it's a great piece of equipment. I wore it with RF Rally arm pads as a replacement for an older Dainese jacket. I like it better than the older Dainese, and it fit me at least as good as last years Dainese jacket. They seem to offer about the same level of protection. The RockGardn jacket I tried on was by far beefier than both, but it fits like a straight jacket compared to either the RF or Dainese, and weighs about twice as much them too.

I would actually say the spine protection is pretty bomber, and the kidney belt holds it in place really well. The chest protection actually is fairly light, but it saved my sternum last year when my chest met my stem on one of those rock rollers on evenflow.

I have not tried any of the 661 jackets, but compared to RockGardn, its lighter and much easier to wear, and its 1/2 the price of Dainese, even with arm pads.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sweet, thanks for the input Dave. I'm liking this armour more and more. Between this and the Dainese Impact Armour I really can't see that much of a difference. The only big difference being that the spine coverage on the Dainese is pretty huge. I'll have to go out and try them both on now.

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    Haven't used it myself, but everyone I know whos bought raceface armor wouldn't swap it for anything.... it feels totally bulletproof compared to my (admittedly cheaper) 661 jacket armor
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Good job!

Any first hand informations and opinions about Dainese Impact Jacket?
    Im searching for armour without arm pads and there are two options, dainese and race face.

Dainese:
    ++ removable back plate, you can use it for 4x and other sports (skiing)
    + huuuge back plate
    + embraces all torso
    -- price
    - poor shoulder protection (read at reviews it can easily move at crashing) Is that true?

Race Face
    + price
    - poor spine protection
    - you cant use back plate separately
    - i cant try it

Both have plastic chest protector,

I am leaning towards dainese + race face rally FR arm pads especially because of the spine protection. Even though dainese has more +'s race face is almost 100 cheaper. Is it worthy to buy dainese for freeriding (parks), and maybe occasional dh racing?

Thanks for replies!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I found review on Race Face Rally jacket.

Whistler Mountain Bike : Race Face Armour Jacket

Chest and shoulder protection do look promising but the spine protector, comparing to dainese is simply 100 years behind.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I picked up the Race Face jacket for myself. It has good mobility, fits me well, has straps to hold the shoulders in place, and that spine protection is pretty darn beefy. The kidney belt also works very well. It secures tightly and holds everything in. It's soft like all kidney belts, though the main purpose is that it's something tight around your waste to hold in your internal organs and make sure they don't shift too much.

Would I spend the extra money on the dainese? Probably not. I think it's over priced and a little over enginered, which can be good thing. There were two main things that made me choose the race face over the dainese.

1. The guy at the LBS said that the fabric on the dainese wears out pretty quick. He bought a full pressure suit last year and it's already wearing out.
    2. There are no straps for the shoulder pads on the dainese so if you crash they're going to move around on you, which doesn't really help.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks a lot.
    So, apparently there are problems with shoulder protection. What helps me 300 jacket if pads move at impact

Are there any other jackets with rib pads on the market?

What size would you suggest for pretty skinny and tall person? 187 cm, 80 kg (6,13 feet, 176 lbs)

mtbr member
    Seems odd. Everyeone I know loves the Dainese because of the fit and how long it lasts. I wonder if that is the old or the new gear.