Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Question for you DHR and M9 folks...

Ok, I know this is always a very personal preference question, and asked many times so I apologize for asking again. I am kinda stuck and looking from some real world feedback/impressions from all of you that own either the M9 or DHR and hopefully have experience on both. I can't demo the bikes as the local shops don't carry them.

I'm in the market for a new DH rig and I think I have it down to these two. A little about me. I dont race, well maybe an old guy class here and there, as I am old, dont hit big jumps or drops but really like to go fast and enjoy rocky technical terrain. I have an Uzzi as my all around bike. I am by no means anywhere close to the skill level either of these bikes are capable of. I simply enjoy riding this level of bike. I know you may feel compelled to flame me for this but i'm just trying to get some feedback that will hopefully help me make up my mind. I had an M3, enjoyed it, and rode a Jedi for a year, really nice bike, just did not really get comfortable with it. Not slamming the Jedi by any means. I have heard a lot of great stuff about the DHR so looking for some good comparisons to the M9.

Thanks all, I appreciate all feedback.

Jim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've ridden both. I bought a DHR. There's just something special about that bike. The faster you ride it, the better it is. The M9 was nice but just didn't feel "right." I was instantly comfortable on the DHR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'd go DHR. My buddy with an M9 has had issues with it and it's not the lightest frame out there. Turner has kick ass customer service too so can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the reples. Im actually going to check out a DHR tomorrow. I know it is between these two frames, so it's nice to get some real life feedback.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    One day I will get a DHR....

With that said, I know a guy with a DHR and a guy with an M9. Both can rip it up.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    No experience on an m9, but own a dw-link DHR. I too instantly felt comfortable on the dhr, and have not found its limits yet. it is true, the faster you go the better it gets. Loving it thus far, no complaints. I had an issue with the front triangle and called turner, told them I was the second owner and they knew the bike was a little more than a year old, both things which would leave it out of warranty. No questions asked they sent me a new front triangle. Great riding experience, and great customer service

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    No experience on an m9, but own a dw-link DHR. I too instantly felt comfortable on the dhr, and have not found its limits yet. it is true, the faster you go the better it gets. Loving it thus far, no complaints. I had an issue with the front triangle and called turner, told them I was the second owner and they knew the bike was a little more than a year old, both things which would leave it out of warranty. No questions asked they sent me a new front triangle. Great riding experience, and great customer service
    I have to admit that's pretty amazing customer service. I called intense and asked what they would do outside of warranty and second owner and they would extend crash replacement cost which is lower then retail. Sounds like Turner stands behind their bikes.

Working on my Drops
    I went through the same issue about 2 years ago. I ended up with the DHR. Amazing bike and was super comfortable and can't believe how easy te trails were. It's almost cheating.

Working on my Drops
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    One day I will get a DHR....

With that said, I know a guy with a DHR and a guy with an M9. Both can rip it up.
    Stu? Is that you from IS? Lol

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBAlex View Post
    Stu? Is that you from IS? Lol
    Well look at you, surfacing from the dead.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Working on my Drops
    Lol. 2013 im getting back on dirt!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Good, I have a new whip for Demo!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

RideDirt
    I know someone that rides on a DHR , and he rips it .. Handles everything from jumps, drops, flowy stuff, to techy rock gardens. Hes been biking for over 20 years and races as well . The DHR looks like a fantastic frame , i also been eyeing down the Banshee MK2 Legend frame , might want to look into that as well .

Glad to Be Alive
    If you liked your M3 then you will love the M9....there are a ton of adjustments and I like flipping the link to go from 91/2 to 81/2 on the less intense trails...at race weight my gets down to 37.....if I had lighter cranks it would be even more but mine is sturdy....If you are just going fast you can extend the wheel base too....overall it is the M3 on steriods

never ridden the the new generations of DHR but a friend loves his
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I have a dw dhr and love it. Havent had any issues with the frame at all. Just like the above posts, I felt comfortable on it from day 1.

mtbr member
    I'll have to throw a vote towards the M9 - rock solid construction and begs to go fast no matter what kind of terrain you throw at it. With 3 travel (8.5",9.0",9.5") and 3 progression settings you can dial it in for a variety of conditions and riding styles. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Got one...

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I was just about to pull the trigger on a DHR but came across a deal on a 2012 M9, ridden twice, I could not pass on. Not a big fan of the color, little bright for me, but I guess can always powder coat it in the future. Having some 823's laced up to Hadley's, and she is good to go.

Now trying to determine if I want to stay on the Uzzi VPX, or go to the new VP or a Tracer 2. I would like to have a capable trail bike that is lighter but not XC light. I have know problem pedaling a low 30's bike uphill. Rode a Nomad Carbon last week while on vacation. Did not really do it for me. Just seemed to ride real tall. So on the hunt for a good AM frame to replace the VPX. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again all for the input, it really helps.

Here are a couple of pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for you DHR and M9 folks...-dsc_9675.jpg  

Question for you DHR and M9 folks...-dsc_9677.jpg  

Last edited by jimi1114; 01-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114 View Post
    Thanks for al the replies. I really appreciate it. I was just about to pull the trigger on a DHR but came across a deal on a 2012 M9, ridden twice, I could not pass on. Not a big fan f the color, little bright for me, but I guess can always powder coat it in the future. .
    Nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for al the replies. I really appreciate it. I was just about to pull the trigger on a DHR but came across a deal on a 2012 M9, ridden twice, I could not pass on. Not a big fan f the color, little bright for me, but I guess can always powder coat it in the future. Having some 823's laced up to Hadley's, and she is good to go.

Now trying to determine if I want to stay on the Uzzi VPX, or go to the new VP or a Tracer 2. I would like to have a capable trail bike that is lighter but not XC light. I have know problem pedaling a low 30's bike uphill. Rode a Nomad Carbon last week while on vacation. Did not really do it for me. Just seemed to ride real tall. So on the hunt for a good AM frame to replace the VPX. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again all for the input, it really helps.

Here are a couple of pics...
    Reading this thread and all the good vibes for the Turner I had the feeling you would still end up with the Intense. Mainly cause you were allready a Intense owner. Yes that is a bright one.

mtbr member
    Curious why no interst in a not a carbon Specialized,Trek or Santa Cruz? Rumors of a Carbon M9 by Sea Otter time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    Curious why no interst in a not a carbon Specialized,Trek or Santa Cruz? Rumors of a Carbon M9 by Sea Otter time.
    For me, if you are referring to the DHR or M9 decision, came down to my budget, and what I was comfortable with. I have been on Intense bikes for a while now and just like the way they feel. I love the idea of a carbon frame but for me I just cant justify the extra spend.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Reading this thread and all the good vibes for the Turner I had the feeling you would still end up with the Intense. Mainly cause you were allready a Intense owner. Yes that is a bright one.
    the Nomad fit my budget (used 2800) and my ride.....great to pedal up (30 pounds with drop seat post)) and handles the chop...I think the Nomad you tried out wasn't set up right because mine isn't tall...and the drop seat helps a lot
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 01-02-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I was just about to pull the trigger on a DHR but came across a deal on a 2012 M9, ridden twice, I could not pass on. ..
    frickin sweet !!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    the Nomad fit my budget (used 2800) and my ride.....great to pedal up (30 pounds with drop seat post)) and handles the chop...I think the Nomad you tried out wasn't set up right because mine isn't tall...and the drop seat helps a lot
    That's possible. I really wanted to like the Nomad. I love my Uzzi, just looking for something that I can pedal a little easier, but still handle the more aggressive AM stuff. May give the Nomad another shot. Also thinking a Tracer 2 with a coil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looking for an AM bike, see if you can jump on a used chilicotin. They're pricey, but worth it. Especially if you plan on keeping it a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast