mtbr member

Question for the Downhill/Freeride gurus.......I have a 2010 Mongoose Khyber Super..

that I want to put a 2003 Boxxer WorldCup fork on when I do my every once in a while downhill trips.... The Khyber has a 6.5in Lyrik with a 67deg HA. The Boxxer is the 7in travel version. I know this is probably not needed due to the current travel and the 1.5 taper steertube. But I got the fork from a buddy of mine who just had it serviced and had no use for it anymore. I am just wondering if I would see a increase in stiffness and stability when using it.
    Before I get flamed for this thought, I have seen a couple of the factory mongoose riders put a triple crown on the Khyber and hit some crap that I only dream of doing. What is your opinions of my endeavor.........
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd rather run the lyrik.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Lyrik without a doubt. It's almost certainly lighter, and did the Boxxer have 32mm stanchions in 2003? Rock the Lyrik....you will be one happy fella.

mtbr member
    Damping in the 2003 Boxxer WC blows compared to the damping in the Lryik. Lyrik is a better fork in every way, you'd be a jackass to run the decrepit Boxxer over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Damping in the 2003 Boxxer WC blows compared to the damping in the Lryik. Lyrik is a better fork in every way, you'd be a jackass to run the decrepit Boxxer over it.
    I know that the technology in the Lyrik is superior to the Boxxer..... So a Jackass I am not... I was just questioning the control difference between the triple clamp to the single crown. I got the fork for free and just trying to see if it was feasible....
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan
    I know that the technology in the Lyrik is superior to the Boxxer..... So a Jackass I am not... I was just questioning the control difference between the triple clamp to the single crown. I got the fork for free and just trying to see if it was feasible....
    I'm sure the Lyrik is just as stiff as the Boxxer. Much more modern design in the Lyrik (35mm stanchions, 1.5 steerer and beefy lowers and crown) compared to old Boxxer (32mm stanchions, 1 1/8 steerer, noodle lowers).

The Lyrik's damper is way way better than the Boxxer. Even if the Boxxer was the stiffest fork in the world you'd still have better tracking and control with the Lyrik.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I actually was thinking the exact same thing..
    except I have a 2009 boxxer team that I could put on my Khyber.. I dont think I would do it much but I would like to do a few shuttle runs with my buddies to see what it would feel like.. probably just a bit shorter in the rear then my Boot'r team does.. But I really do love my Lyrik and think it is one of the best parts of that bike..

mtbr member
    Use the Lyric. If you want to make the bike more DH friendly then get the Works Components headset cups to slack out your head angle. Any time you try too hard to make an AM bike DH friendly its gonna be a failure.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I agree on a long term basis.. I just wonder why the pros would opt to use a full on dual crown on their khyber as aposed to a 180 fork like a totem?
    I totally agree that the use of a boxxer would be a fail over time.. just mind tend to ponder just ideas that they know are wrong..

The khyber with the lyrik already descends like a mini downhill bike, I am as comfortable on my khyber as I am on my bootr team no matter what the trail.. I just wonder how much more fun could I have with the khyber??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    Use the Lyric. If you want to make the bike more DH friendly then get the Works Components headset cups to slack out your head angle. Any time you try too hard to make an AM bike DH friendly its gonna be a failure.
    2nd the works idea. Maybe the 170mm lyric dh if you want to be more agressive. Nothing more. Old boxxers were crap.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609
    I actually was thinking the exact same thing..
    except I have a 2009 boxxer team that I could put on my Khyber.. I dont think I would do it much but I would like to do a few shuttle runs with my buddies to see what it would feel like.. probably just a bit shorter in the rear then my Boot'r team does.. But I really do love my Lyrik and think it is one of the best parts of that bike..
    In your case the dampening is much better on a '09 Boxxer vs a '03, so I would consider it.. buttt if you love your Lyrik, why change it?
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609
    I agree on a long term basis.. I just wonder why the pros would opt to use a full on dual crown on their khyber as aposed to a 180 fork like a totem?
    thats a good question. a boxxer wc and a totem solo air are about the same weight. i guess the boxxer makes for a stiffer front end/ more steering pecision?

usually cranky
    actually doesnt a boxxer have a lower a/c then a totem? if thats the case i suspect thats your answer.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i was just thinking about buying boxxer WC 2010 to put on my khyber as I've had enough of the bull that goes with the bomber 55ata (BOOOOO Marzochhi!)

Are the above comments more to do with the face that rsullivan was considering the 2003 boxxer or the boxxer in general? I can get a good deal on these forks and really want nothing more to do with marzochhi....advice?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i dont think itll handle more than 7'' at the front. IMO if you a burlier fork get a 66RC3 or a totem.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    what do you think will suffer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coralee
    i was just thinking about buying boxxer WC 2010 to put on my khyber as I've had enough of the bull that goes with the bomber 55ata (BOOOOO Marzochhi!)

Are the above comments more to do with the face that rsullivan was considering the 2003 boxxer or the boxxer in general? I can get a good deal on these forks and really want nothing more to do with marzochhi....advice?

Get a 2010 lyric with 170mm with the mission controll dh. It will be like a boxxer but will be lighter and wont mess the geo up as much.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I agree that I would not put a boxxer on this bike to run all the time.. I would do it for a weekend for fun, but I wouldnt run a full 203mm boxxer on it all the time..

If you really want to get a new fork I would say to get a lyric like norbor said, I love mine, or wait and get one of the new fox 36's that have 180mm that can be dialed down to 140mm that would be a fun fork on a khyber.. it would slack it out a bit but definatly would be fun..

I just wouldnt like the way a 200mm+ would feel on my khyber, and I would worry about the headtube

maker of trail
    Just a note:
    Its not the travel that can break head tubes, its the lever, so look at axle to crown height more than travel.

So:
    Lyrik a-c = 545mm
    Totem a-c = 565mm
    170mm boxer a-c = 544mm
    200mm boxer a-c = 568mm
    Marz 66 = 568mm
    Marz 888 = 583mm

So going from a Lyric to 170mm boxer would be fine, and not change your geo at all. If you're think a totem is ok, then so will a 200mm boxer or a 66.

Perpetual Hack
    2010 170 Lyrik has an A2C of 555

michael