mtbr member

Problem with my 36 Fox Talas

Hi guys/girls,

I'm new on this forum and i have a problem with my new Fox Talas fork. I'm from Romania and i bought the fork last month from Germany( Bike Shop | Bike-Discount: Onlineshop mit Bestpreis-Garantie ). The fork model is: 2013 Fox 36 Talas 160mm O/B (open bath).
    So the problem is that the fork is leaking fluid from the top right leg cap...underneath the cap where the alu 32mm bolt is. The fork is brand new and i just went out with it once and noticed the leaking problem. 1-2 drop each 15-20 min of riding.
    I know that a oring sits there. Could it be damaged if the fork is new? Or is normal for a few days to leak fluid?

Wainting for a answer and please forgive me for my english.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem with my 36 Fox Talas-fox-problem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Let the air out. Remove the blue lever. Unscrew the top cap. Take a look at the o-ring. If it looks fine. Tighten everything up and make it snug. Air it and go ride. Chances are it could just be loose and letting the air/oil slowly seep out.

Some Assembly Required
    Not normal to leak anywhere, send it back or they will say "you rode it, knowing it was leaking so no warranty". Classic Fox issues. If you try to fix it = no warranty.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the answers. Just found a service in my country and looks like the guys are repairing fox and RS forks everyday. Talkd to a guy from the service, send him the picture and he said that most probably the o-ring from the top cap pop'd out and needs to be put back in place or maybe replaced. 30eur the whole job including the shipping to them and back to me. The problem is that they are giving me a form to fill and it has no stamp or guarentee that i will receive back the fork or if they break it then i won't be getting new parts or a new fork...and that is a no no for me.

mtbr member
    The thing is that i'm handy with the tools and stuff like that. Build my whole bike in 2 hours. And i do have the tools to open it but here the service kit ( oil, fluid, foam ring, washers, etc ) are so expensive...120eur. Living in my country is hard enough and most people like to scame you as often as they can. I don't trust local mechanics here so the best thing here is to work on your own bike. The guys from where i bought the fork are not responding back...

mtbr member
    So if i let the air out i can remove the top cap without unscrwing the bottom bolt?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yep.
    1. remove the little blue air valve cover
    2. remove air
    3. remove the blue lever
    4. take a big socket and remove the silver top cap
    5. look at the o-ring under the silver top cap. Make sure its not torn. replace if its torn.
    6. Put it back together and tighten the silver top cap.

I've had a Fox fork leak like that when I didn't tighten it enough. Just a very small amount of oil seeped out. Not enough to do harm.

mtbr member
    I will buy a 5cc fluid and i will remove the top cap to see what's going on there. The fork works fine, but it's not ok to leak from there. I'll be back in a few days with new info and maybe with the problem solved. Btw my only concerne is that i will have to remove first the adjustment mechanism and after that the top cap.