mtbr member

pressure suit (sp-1 vs assault) - paging konabiker

i am looking into getting the sp-1 or the pressure suit. people seem to be happier with the sp-1 based on the searches that i have done. it seems like the quality control on sizing and construciton is better. it is hard to tell for sure from just the pictures, but they look like they might be the same suit with the elbow/forearm and removeable spine as the only differences.

my riding - i ride in socal, so it tends to be warm. i don't do anything "huge" jump or huck wise. i make the annual trip to whistler and may start traveling elsewhere (northstar, bootleg). i have been using a fox chest protector, but it seems time to try something new. i also just dislocated my shoulder, so shoulder impact protection is of particular interest to me.

i like the removable spine of the sp-1, but like the short sleve option of the assault. i already have other guards that i like for the elbow/forearm. i am not opposed to cutting the sleaves off of the sp-1.

konabiker - i saw your post last year about the pressure suit sp-1. did you end up getting it? how has it worked out for you? (i tried to pm you but your box is full).

any and all advice is welcome.

pwn3rator
    get the assult and wear elbow guards if you feel the need to.
    [SIZE=-4]SOCAL UNION REPREZENT[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    get the assult and wear elbow guards if you feel the need to.
    any foundation for this insightful response, or are you just doing the bidding of the magic 8 ball?

Ft Lewis Bound
    Aug 2004

RockGardn

Take a look at the Flak Jacket from RockGardn..I have one and it rocks. no removable spine but it is comfortable.

Just my 2cents
    Those of us that kill for a living, love to ride and get away from all the BS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_n_Germany
    Take a look at the Flak Jacket from RockGardn..I have one and it rocks. no removable spine but it is comfortable.

Just my 2cents
    thought about it, but it seems like more than i need. i don't go that big on jumps or hucks. the trailsi ride don't have many jagged rocks or trees, so the hard shell stuff seems like overkill. i just need something to keep the shoulders protected and keep the road rash to a minimum.

i should be working
    get the assualt suit, you'll end up wearing it more often because its less bulky. plus like you said, you have the option of wearing the elbows if you feel like it. i have an assualt suit and until i hit the ground i forget its on.

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    it seems like more than i need.
    you never need it until you need it.

just a thought.

SouthernDevilz/RoguePosse
    Feb 2004
    i got a question about the new suits

i have the old 661 pressure suit (solid black) and it tends to ride up while riding. do the new pressure suits or the SP-1s hold better around the waist area or do they ride up as well?
    www.southerndevilz.net
    www.rogueposse.net

I wanna talk to Samson!
    I got the sp1 and honestly I've used it once in the 3/4 year I've had it. Sixsixone sizing is pretty off, the medium feels big on my 5'11 165lb frame. I would get the assualt for the reasons your provided.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Get the assault suit. The option of having removable spine armor sort of defeats the purpose of armor in my opinion. If you're willing to cut the sleeves off the sp1, then do it. Personally I'd prefer to have both front and back protection if I'm gonna be wearing armor. One thing I dont like about 661 suits is that they ride up your back when riding, leaving your tailbone vulnerable. Wear a kidney belt along with a 661 suit and you'll be set to go huge, even if you dont like to.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    I got the sp1 and honestly I've used it once in the 3/4 year I've had it. Sixsixone sizing is pretty off, the medium feels big on my 5'11 165lb frame. I would get the assualt for the reasons your provided.
    odd. i tried on a regular pressure suit in a size large and it was a bit tight on me at 6'1'" 190lbs. would hate to go to the next size up and have it fit sloppy.

kona - why are you not using it? did it suck the one time you did, or do you have some other mystical reason?

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    i use the 661 assult pressure suit and find that the sizing is a bit off. its deff worth the money after a couple fo hard falls on rock and run-ins with trees at speed.

the target bike basher
    sp= steve peat.... get it...
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One of the riders in my group just bought an Assault suit. Quality seems fair but the zipper absolutly sucks - if the zipper isn't exactly together it doesn't work. He has only worn it once and wonders if the cheezy zipper will last. Universal Cycles sells a Mace & Hoots short sleeved armor. Cost is higher but personally fit, quality and protection come before price.