mtbr member
    Feb 2006

pressure suit replacement?

So it's been 3 years since I did any lift-serviced DH/FR. I used to wear a 661 comp pressure suit. However, the thing has been sitting in my humid garage and is growing mold. I wouldn't be surprised if it walked away on it's own one day. Hence, I'm scared to wear it and would like to replace with something. It was rather bulky and never fit all that well, and was hot. I'm thinking a more modular approach, with separate chest/back piece that I would wear with regular elbow/forearm armor. Totally out of the loop concerning current products. What's good out there?

I remember the older 661 core saver product, and recently came across the TLD 7850 shirt, that looks pretty good. What else might you guys recommend looking at?

Thanks

Huffy Rider
    Sunshine kills mold, FYI. They are all bulky and hot! LOL!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    I posted a mini-review of the Leatt 3DF over in this thread.

tl;dr version: works great with Leatt, stretches out the neck hole of your jersey (or requires cutting the jersey), IMHO better back protection than the 7850.

And yea, they are all hot but the 3DF wicks pretty well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the info guys. I've done some research and even jumped on a POC VPD Tee deal chainlove had, trouble is the medium I got doesn't quite fit my burly chest, and moreso my somewhat "burly" midriff. The large would probably be better but not being on sale - I am looking at other options...

The VPD/d30 material is appealing though, so I am really looking for a roundup of similar products. Can anyone fill the gaps in here and suggest any product I am not currently aware of? (Trying to fit a budget of below $165, or so)

Looking at vests only, not full jackets. Must have spine & chest protection. Shoulders optional

POC vpd Tee (too expensive in my size, apparently)
    Leatt 3DF vest (possibility?)
    Troy Lee 7850 (not really a d30/VPD material)
    Dainese Rhyolite (not really a d30/VPD material)
    G-Form shirt (no spine protection)

Thanks

Trail Ninja
    Backcountry has the VPD tee on sale for 120. 1.0 with the bone style chest armor... nm, I see that they don't have the size you want.

I have the TLD 7850 and the 661 Evo. The 661 Evo has a mere, uh, skid "plate" for chest protection, but really nice shoulder and arm protection, with standard hardshell spine protection. The TLD just seems to be a "rash" suit. Doesn't seem like it would to do much but to reduce/minimize road rash type injuries, but sometimes that's all you need, going at speed if you ride in open desert areas like in SoCal. It does absorb some impact at least. I kind of like how light it is.

What about the 661 Core Saver? I wouldn't have mind the chest armor on that, on the 661 Evo. The chest ventilation on that was kind of cool feeling, as it felt like it rammed jets of air into my chest. Not sure how VPD and D30 would ventilate, but I would assume the worst when compared to the Core Saver.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I like my core saver. It doesn't have the zipper up the sternum, like some do. Makes no sense to me, since you are likely to take a stem right there at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Trail Ninja
    I much prefer the zipper up the side too, rather than up the center. I do prefer a zipper over a pull-on though. Seriously, it's a sad thing about that 661 Evo chest armor... that's it's main detraction, else I'd be recommending it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guys, I recalled the core saver product when I starting with this, and that was the main idea. A protective vest, and I would use existing elbow armor I already have (Fox Launch) - Then I started seeing all the d30/VPD stuff and it got me thinking but honestly I don't think I will find the product I am looking for there. I think it's back to the hard plastic protection in a vest idea. So then, between the 661 Core Saver and Fox Titan Vest... any thoughts? (I saw the zipper consideration, good thinking)

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I tried on the Fox Titan stuff, and the neck opening was too small for me. Overall it just didn't feel comfortable (tried L and XL, I think), but that might just depend on body shape. The Fox looks to be less breathable, too.

The top 2 or 3 back plates are removable on the 661 for use with a neck brace. Mine felt comfortable together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now