Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Point One Racing Podium pedals

A quick question for current owners of the "raw" finish. I just received mine and they are very rough looking. It looks like they came straight off a slightly miscalibrated CNC machine and were assembled. Do yours show uneven machine marks? Mine have steps where the machining passes were made. It just seems to me the machining is kind of crude for how well reviewed the finish on these pedals are. I am almost thinking the ones I received missed a step in the final machining process. I would like to know if this is normal for the raw finish. I suspect it is not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the black finish, mine are about two years old, the do not have any unfinished looking areas. I would contact point one with pics and see what they have to say. I would bet they will take good care of you as long as you are patient and understanding.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I have the black and they are about two months old and do have the lines where you can see the machining. Will be interesting to hear more about this...
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Locs on Spokez
    Dude.... they are freaking pedals man. They're going to get battle wounds from rocks and that whole deal and you're worried about the finish on them? Reallllllly?

Come on now, get real.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I hear ya Iggz,but for $200, they should look immaculate, at least right out of the box. I know my black ones did.

Locs on Spokez
    Mine were tweaked too but you know what? The soles of my 5.10s aren't very picky.
    Last edited by Iggz; 07-08-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: grammar goof'd

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvt View Post
    I hear ya Iggz,but for $200, they should look immaculate, at least right out of the box. I know my black ones did.
    That would be the point. At 200.00 these things should look awesome.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I have the black and they are about two months old and do have the lines where you can see the machining. Will be interesting to hear more about this...
    Unfortunately I found several pictures on the Internet of more recent pedals showing the cruder finish work. I suspect they took a step out or moved production to an older CNC machine. With what these cost I expect better. We'll see how they perform.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz View Post
    Dude.... they are freaking pedals man. They're going to get battle wounds from rocks and that whole deal and you're worried about the finish on them? Reallllllly?

Come on now, get real.
    That is just rationalizing poor production quality. Sorry man.
    BTW, glad you got your bike back.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    Unfortunately I found several pictures on the Internet of more recent pedals showing the cruder finish work. I suspect they took a step out or moved production to an older CNC machine. With what these cost I expect better. We'll see how they perform.
    The good thing is it doesn't seem to effect their performance. I've had no issues with mine, and they will start to get scratched up a bit and it won't even matter that they have machining lines on them.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Mine are the same, raw finish. I've had two sets of them and both were the same. First pedal strike into some rocks makes you forgot all about that and focus more on the new scuffs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mine are raw and the machine finish looked correct for a profiled machined part. You will get some machine marks do to the machining process used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Point One Racing Podium pedals-img_1157.jpg  

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh no doubt about that. I just expect a finishing step in the process. If you look around the web and read reviews from a couple of years ago this was not an issue. I don't know if they used a better machining process, finishing process, sandblasted the parts, or what but customers raved about the high quality finish. The parts I received are definitely nothing to write home about as far as finish goes. It actually looks to me like the CNC machine calibration is off a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It does look like that or could also be part flex.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    It's definitely not from flexing...
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Locs on Spokez
    Wow the finish is bad and they don't even come in root beer AND THEY'RE FLEXY?

What garbage....

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well how about a popping bearing after four miles of riding?

My touchy Iggz. I call it as a I see it, nothing more and nothing less. This is a premium product and gets rated as such, good or bad. I really wish it was a good report, these guys are from my home town, San Jose. Maybe in the end it will be, but out of the box I am kind of disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iggz should have given his Bicycle to that nice man in the van with a family to support . ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    A quick question for current owners of the "raw" finish. I just received mine and they are very rough looking. It looks like they came straight off a slightly miscalibrated CNC machine and were assembled. Do yours show uneven machine marks? Mine have steps where the machining passes were made. It just seems to me the machining is kind of crude for how well reviewed the finish on these pedals are. I am almost thinking the ones I received missed a step in the final machining process. I would like to know if this is normal for the raw finish. I suspect it is not.
    How about a pic?

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I don't have a digital camera good enough to capture it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Haven't had any issues with mine and they have been well abused.

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by griffinsurfboard View Post
    Iggz should have given his Bicycle to that nice man in the van with a family to support . ;-)

Hahahaha Touche sir, touche.

nocturnal oblivion
    I'm with Iggz on this one. It's a high end pedal but that doesn't mean it should come with a mirror finish. My Thomson stem has machine marks, my raw Turner has machine marks. They're bike parts, not fine furniture.
    Last I saw this was the MTBR DH forum. Not RBR.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Look I don't mind seeing the cut marks, in fact it kind of gives it a one off custom look, although I would prefer a finish step. What bothers me is the pass stepping which kind of says to me there is a calibration or machine programing problem. I don't know what equipment they are using but I have looked at a lot of custom cut parts over the years and this is fairly crude. People rationalizing it is fine, but really it's not acceptable to me. It's at the level of I'll use them but I won't return for a second set when these wear out. I just wanted to know if other owners saw the same thing. Now my larger problem is a bearing started popping after only four miles of use. I'm going to swap in my old pedals to to verify it is indeed the right pedal and not a coincidence and a crank bearing went out.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Phew, the pedal just worked itself loose. I may have to switch these to blue loctite.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast