Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Commit or eat sh!t
    I just got the bearing kit, and it is missing the 2 large bearings. Came with 6 smaller ones only.

Is there a number for these guys? They don't seem to answer their emails.

Also, is there a diagram that someone managed to find somewhere about how all the parts go?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    UPDATE on bearing replacement: [summary, I needed to replace only the 3 smaller bearings on outside of pedal]

1. Ordered the kit, shipped timely, arrived timely, all there... Holy sh1t! no problems yet.
    2. Begin replacement: Aww crap, each bearing's outer race is still inside the pedal body. HTF will I get these out?
    3. Write email for help to Point 1. (that's like writing a letter to my dead grandmother. Though it would be great to get a response, really not expecting one.)
    4. I think I messaged through Facebook too (same dead grandma lack of response)
    5. contemplated blasting them on Facebook to elicit a response but figured "I'm a smart guy, I can figure this out"
    6. Tried various attempts at bashing them out with a myriad of tools, at every angle possible. Just could not get a good enough lip/grip on any edge to make the effort worthwhile. Sat on this for awhile.

Then it hit me! Mother****1ng science! I looked up the metallurgical properties of alu vs. steel to learn some crazy ass equations with numbers I've never seen (looked like russian language) that confirmed alu expands at about twice the rate/size compared to steel. I went to heat these ****3r's up with my 450 degree (F) heat gun.

Hot dam, the steel races practically fell out. See pic below. I love mother****1ing science.

Point One Racing Podium pedals-p1guts.jpg

mtbr member
    Point One Racing Podium pedals-dsc_0054.jpg

One of my Podium 2 axle was heavily rusted after 6 months of regular abuse under extreme riding condition. The lube was totally gone. Possible explanation are: (1) faulty rubber seal which allow water to enter; (2) axle may not have lubed properly in the factory; and (3) excessive used of Mucoff after ride. Further investigation shows that the rubber seal looks ok. Excessive use of Muc-off would have caused the same problem on the other pedal. My only conclusion is the factory may have forgotten to lub the axle during assembly.

Point One Racing Podium pedals-dsc_0067.jpg

The other pedal was more fortunate, tip-top condition after 6 months of regular abuse. Podium 2 is one of the best flat pedals money can buy. Used to own Podium 1. Will not hesitate to buy again

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    hey, anybody here considering to sell his/her set of point one podium 2s and willing to ship them to germany or does anybody know a shop that still has a pair on stock? I know that gamut is producing them aswell but I like the machined finish way better :/

mtbr member
    My point one podiums need a serious rebuild. Anyone know a good place to find a rebuild kit for the original point one podiums?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    My point one podiums need a serious rebuild. Anyone know a good place to find a rebuild kit for the original point one podiums?
    Get in touch with Gamut USA, the new owners.

I got a bearing set from them but have yet to initiate the swap. $40 + shipping. Gamut was spot-on with the communication and promptly got them to me. Excellent customer service. Unfortunately they do not have replacement spindles.

bad andy, thanks for the removal tip. The guys at Gamut suggested it could be tough to remove the olds.

mtbr member
    I was struggling to find a rebuild kit a few months ago and ended up using this kit...

Replacement Bearing Kit to fit Point 1 Podium Pedals (Point One) | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Post edit:

I was able to remove the micro-bearing remnants, amounting to a pile of stuff similar to what you see in bad andy's post above. One of the six was still intact. The new ones are in. I used a thin slice of a hydration hose in lieu of the rubber o-ring that was missing.

One big bearing was replaced not long ago, and the older one seems fine, so I have backups for those.

New life!
    Last edited by She&I; 08-22-2015 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Did gamut ever rerelease these pedals? I know they took over point one but haven't heard or seen anything yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Did gamut ever rerelease these pedals? I know they took over point one but haven't heard or seen anything yet.
    Nope. Supposedly soon. Check their fb page. This was posted by them on 9/21/15:

"Hey all, sorry for the long wait on the new Podiums! They're not out yet, but we're expecting some production news this week that will allow us to give an exact delivery date. Thanks for your patience, we're stoked to get you out riding these pedals as soon as we can. We will post on our page when we get some news!"

Glad to Be Alive
    great pedals, cheaper price...best cutomer service....do yourself a favor and get these

Canfield Mag Crampons

Canfield Brothers Crampon Magnesium Pedals - Pedals - Components
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

You mean these?

A few shots from their 2015 catalog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Point One Racing Podium pedals-gamut-podium.jpg  

Point One Racing Podium pedals-gamut-podium-2.jpg  

[SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    A few shots from their 2015 catalog.
    Can't wait. I have been thru 3 different pedals while waiting hoping to find something better and keep going back to my Podium 2's. Bought bearings and pins to keep them alive until these come out.

brake later, pedal sooner
    I had the Crampons...didn't like them so much. One of the pedals started seizing up after just one ride in mucky weather. I took them off after that and cleaned them, but then sold them off...

I have the Podium 2's. They were released for a short while near Sea Otter time last year (or before) and I picked up a set and some extra pins (hollow ones that shear off so it doesn't mess up the threads).

They are just as durable as the originals with more grip and has no problems of screwing threads up from bashing pins due to the design. I like them better than all the other pedals I've used...and I've had a lot of em. The Race Face Atlas are good pedals too, on par with the Podium 2's just a little heavier and thicker.

mtbr member
    Was hoping for a little larger platform being that I wear a size 11 shoe. Great looking pedal though.

sluice box
    I am also looking for the bearing kit. I'll post what I find out from Gamut says.
    ptarmigan hardcore

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I also need the bearing kit for the original Podiums.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Add me to the list of needing the bearing kit (again)

I've 2 pair of Podium 1's and just used my last set of (3) tiny bearings. (Same thing as post #127) I should have measured those things before installing but I was anxious to get them running again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6