Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I would recommend getting something that can be removed by a normal sized hex key instead of whatever the size is of the original pins.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

nocturnal oblivion
    Pulled my year old Podiums apart and repacked the bearings and greased the rubber 'stiction' o-ring. Just a reminder if you've never done it, they were getting really sluggish to spin.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Mine have always been sluggish. They are about 10 months old. Was it hard to rebuild them, or did you need any special tools?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Mine have always been sluggish. They are about 10 months old. Was it hard to rebuild them, or did you need any special tools?
    They do 'break in' a bit, but you won't know until you clean and regrease them. It's very easy, just remove the small hex at the end of the spindle. Then pull the pedal body off the spindle. Remove the 'drag' o-ring from behind the big bearing, clean and grease it.
    Pop the dust cover from the exposed side of the big bearing and pack in some fresh grease, or flush it and regrease.
    I used Slick Honey, it's a lighter grease.
    Clean and use blue threadlock on the hex nut before retightening to a mild torque. I'd guestimate the torque is about 50 inch/pound, not a lot.
    Regreasing the small bearings is impossible without pressing them out, so just leave them be until they need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Point1 does offer a special bearing removal tool that I bought from CRC this winter. Point One Racing Podium Pedal Bearing Removal Tool | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Point1 and everyone else has been sold out of it for quite some time, but it's definitely helpful getting the small bearings out, along with the big one as well. CRC has been sold out as well but looks like they have only 1 back in stock. When I bought mine, I've purchased the last one then as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    so just leave them be until they need to be replaced.
    Have your small bearings held up over time? Never replaced them?

nocturnal oblivion
    Mine have held up fine so far. It wouldn't be that difficult to make a press with a long, narrow bolt to pull the little ones they need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    I've had my Podiums for about a year and a half they have developed a bit of 'side to side' play on both pedals ( 1mm to 2mm on one side, 1mm play on the other). I stripped them down, cleaned, re-greased and torqued, which helped initially (bearings seemed smooth), but the play came back after a ride.

Has anyone else's Podiums developed the same thing? Did fitting new bearings and seals solve the play?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine are going on 3yrs this June, zero issues.

mtbr member
    BUMPing this thread to say I just went to Point One's website and the Podium 2 is finally up for pre order! No affiliation here, just a happy Podium user who is stoked for the updated model for a new winter build.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Cool, thanks for the update. I checked a couple weeks ago and the site looked the same as when I ordered almost two years ago.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's good to know, I wasn't sure if they were still making components. Still have my original set, but I'd definitely give these a go on my next bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Re: Point One Racing Podium pedals

Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    A quick question for current owners of the "raw" finish. I just received mine and they are very rough looking. It looks like they came straight off a slightly miscalibrated CNC machine and were assembled. Do yours show uneven machine marks? Mine have steps where the machining passes were made. It just seems to me the machining is kind of crude for how well reviewed the finish on these pedals are. I am almost thinking the ones I received missed a step in the final machining process. I would like to know if this is normal for the raw finish. I suspect it is not.
    Sun came out to perfectly show the machining marks. It's kinda cool because they are identical on each side.

I am a machinist. I program, setup, operate, and maintain a fleet of four Haas vertical CNC machines. It's apparent that a finish pass was in fact omitted. Or they fired the metal finishing guy. Although it would be insane to pay a guy to hand finish a part like this when it could have been done in the machine.

For those who care like FX4, I can try to explain why the lines are there. Also, the lines are purely cosmetic and would not effect the pedal in any way.

So during the operation where those lines are made, the pedal would have been fastened vertically to some sort of a fixture. An end mill would have been ran along the face of the pedal like the picture below. During this process the machine looks to have been programmed to do "depth cuts". The machine would remove about say an inch of material. When that's done it would go down two inches and remove material again and so on until the entire face is profiled. This is what leaves the lines, its like a roughing procedure. Normally when this is done a small amount of material would me left for the finishing end mill. Say maybe 0.010". A long end mill that would have enough reach to cut the entire face would then be used to remove the last 0.010 of an inch and eliminate the line.

So that last process I described (sort of pictured below) looks to have been omitted to save time which is money in machining. Also, another way to possibly get rid of the lines during the manufacturing process would be to put the pedals in a rock tumbler like machine. I know Twenty6 does this with his pedals as described here: http://atyourservice.haascnc.com/whats_new/free-ride/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Point One Racing Podium pedals-uploadfromtaptalk1388629460732.jpg  

mtbr member
    The time has come! Just got my shipping notice for the Podium 2s. Just in time for my new Turner Flux to arrive! Couldn't be better timing

Anchorage, AK
    just got my notice as well. Super stoked!!
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    From their blog....
    Point One Racing Podium pedals-photo_1_ad853cf1-3ffc-4b86-9dcc-a9094ca5d1b8_grande.jpg
    Name:  photo_ada6c227-685c-4c5b-8f31-194f401dcd65_medium.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  20.8 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mine showed up in the mail today. They look great, but I haven't had a chance to ride them yet.

Anchorage, AK

Point One Racing Podium pedals

Post pics!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here's a crappy phone photo from the garage floor. I haven't had time to mount them up and try them out yet.

Point One Racing Podium pedals-podium.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    Post pics!!!

Anchorage, AK
    Nice. I live in AK and should get them any day now. Those look killer!! Got mine in black ano but those are super sharp lookin'!
    two wheel livin'..

Anchorage, AK

Got em in today..

two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The new podiums look Suhweeeeet!

Anchorage, AK

Test rode them for a hot sec and they grip like mad and they're crazy light. Picked up a stem as well

two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    Test rode them for a hot sec and they grip like mad and they're crazy light. Picked up a stem as well

Nice set up! They look VERY nice!!! I've heard the grip is insane. Mine are supposed to arrive today!

mtbr member
    Wow, these stock pins are LOOONG.

I got the v2 Podium pedals because I thought they would fit the SIXC Race Face with the boots on (see comparison photos). Sadly, doesn't seem to want to work for me. I want to love these pedals. But I had to put my Saints back on. Best pedals I have owned after my Shimano DX from years ago.

I would still like to get the pedals to work with my SIXC cranks, maybe a pedal washer would push them out enough. I can't believe they didn't design these to fit one of the best cranksets on the market.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member

They fit!

Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Wow, these stock pins are LOOONG.

I got the v2 Podium pedals because I thought they would fit the SIXC Race Face with the boots on (see comparison photos). Sadly, doesn't seem to want to work for me. I want to love these pedals. But I had to put my Saints back on. Best pedals I have owned after my Shimano DX from years ago.

I would still like to get the pedals to work with my SIXC cranks, maybe a pedal washer would push them out enough. I can't believe they didn't design these to fit one of the best cranksets on the market.
    Fear not, they fit with the washers, boots and all! And yes, the pins have already provided some carnage to my shins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Point One Racing Podium pedals-sixc-p2.jpg  

[SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast