Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    Look I don't mind seeing the cut marks, in fact it kind of gives it a one off custom look, although I would prefer a finish step. What bothers me is the pass stepping which kind of says to me there is a calibration or machine programing problem. I don't know what equipment they are using but I have looked at a lot of custom cut parts over the years and this is fairly crude. People rationalizing it is fine, but really it's not acceptable to me. It's at the level of I'll use them but I won't return for a second set when these wear out. I just wanted to know if other owners saw the same thing. Now my larger problem is a bearing started popping after only four miles of use. I'm going to swap in my old pedals to to verify it is indeed the right pedal and not a coincidence and a crank bearing went out.
    I'd have to see a picture of how bad the machining is on your pedal to really make a call, but if it's anything like how I'm imagining then you'd be picking form over function. Point1's are simply the BEST feeling flat I've ever ridden, the guys at that factory could have laser etched turds on my pedals and I'd still buy them again because they do their job so well.
    In regards to a bearing popping out, that should be very obvious which is the culprit (the pedal or the bottom bracket... MTB cranks don't have bearings), and verification via pedal swapping kinda makes zero sense. Maybe you're being unclear as to what the issue really is, but swapping pedals would diagnose nothing as far as a worn BB goes. If it is a crank issue, then I think something's unclear in your wording.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ride em for a few months and see if there appearance still matters. If it does try more rockier runs and push yourself harder. Who cares what they look like. I bought mine because they were thin, light weight, gripps, and highly recomended by other users. Does it bother you if your tires aren't glossy, or if your grips little blocks rather than flowery print? Be glad you were able to get a pair. Back in Feb/March they were hard to find. I was wanting a pair of silver ones, but had to settle for a pair of black ones of the shops beachcruiser that the used to run errans on. They were back ordered for a few weeks and no word on the next batch to be delivered.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    There is merit to what you say. No doubt about it. They feel great. My feet stick nicely, exactly where I plant them. I have zero complaints with functionality. They are smooth. My popping bearing turned out to be the pedal just ever so slightly loose in the crank arm. I guess it worked loose.I'm now actually concerned about the crank arm. I had an arm hit a couple of weeks ago, nothing major but it appears it may have damaged the arm end slightly and possibly malformed the pedal threads a little. However that being said I didn't observe a problem with the Wellgo pedals I had installed previously. I re-torqued the pedal and hopefully it stays. If it doesn't I'll put a dab of blue loctite on. I guess at the 200.00 mark I expect both function and form although I will always pick function over form. Honestly if they perform well I'll probably just say to people that ask (they are not very common around here, I live in the land of clipless is supreme): they are no beauty queens but they function well.
    Last edited by FX4; 07-10-2012 at 12:20 PM.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Ride em for a few months and see if there appearance still matters. If it does try more rockier runs and push yourself harder. Who cares what they look like. I bought mine because they were thin, light weight, gripps, and highly recomended by other users. Does it bother you if your tires aren't glossy, or if your grips little blocks rather than flowery print? Be glad you were able to get a pair. Back in Feb/March they were hard to find. I was wanting a pair of silver ones, but had to settle for a pair of black ones of the shops beachcruiser that the used to run errans on. They were back ordered for a few weeks and no word on the next batch to be delivered.
    LOL, point taken. All I'm saying is new in box they should look awesome.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I know there are a few of us in here from the SJ area, and that is at least what led me to get them. I wanted to do pickup because they are like a mile from me.

Also, I'll go snap some pics now and hopefully they come out so people can get an idea of what we are talking about.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Sun came out to perfectly show the machining marks. It's kinda cool because they are identical on each side.

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yup that's it. Thanks for posting pictures. The stepping on mine are slightly worse but your pictures definitely get the point across.
    Last edited by FX4; 07-10-2012 at 10:39 AM.

nocturnal oblivion
    That's how mine look as well. I wouldn't stress it. I had the previous generation as well which didn't have those lines.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    It sounds to me like they took out a finishing step in the manufacturing since it doesn't really affect the pedal, and it would make things quicker since there was so much demand.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Locs on Spokez
    Wow. You guys were tripping on those little lines?

Jesus man that blew my mind
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I think what we should be talking about is how good those photos came out for an iPhone!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz View Post
    Wow. You guys were tripping on those little lines?

Jesus man that blew my mind
    Yes, I am. I'm also not susceptible to peer pressure so give it up.

mtbr member
    If it makes you feel any better, I have had my pedals for three years and I could not be happier with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thats what you were talking about? I kind of regret my previous reply now. You made it sound like some serious gouges from machining.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Those are just racing stripes... and seriously, its a pedal folks... as soon as you mash them into a rock you will stop worrying.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Sun came out to perfectly show the machining marks. It's kinda cool because they are identical on each side.

Those iines or grooves make it more aerodynamic. You were probually charged extra for them.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I have had my pedals for three years and I could not be happier with them.
    Oh they definitely ride well. I took them out to Moraine yesterday and was really happy with the grip going through the technical stuff. No complaints about performance, but I'm still not happy with the looks.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Those iines or grooves make it more aerodynamic. You were probually charged extra for them.

Locs on Spokez
    You know I fully understand the desire to keep your bike aesthetically pleasing because I am ridiculously anal over mine... But there are limits to this shlt man. Tripping over a pinner machining groove on a pedal is just downright silly.

Maybe you should hang your bike up on the wall and admire it some more because good heavens who knows what would happen should a rock get kicked up and chip some paint off

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Not even that, I just expect new things to look good. My bike gets washed maybe a few times a year. I expect the finish work to look finished. I own a small business and I am absolutely anal about the finished look of my product as well as the function.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well iggz I know you are spun up about my dissatisfaction with the finish so I will tell you I am very happy with their performance. I rode an extremely technical rock garden yesterday and the pedals worked extremely well.

Locs on Spokez
    Well good to know you like the pedals for what they are

I still think you're a tripper though

nocturnal oblivion
    If anyone hasn't tried it I do recommend hitting up the hardware store for longer pins on the 4 inner spots, 16 new screws total. Cost: $2 or so?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Locs on Spokez
    I just went through the trouble of taking a picture with my cellular device and uploading it to the interweb so I can show off how badass I am with my beat up pedals

Oh and guess what... they're still just as great as the day I put them on - July 9th, 2010

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Mine are cleaner!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast