Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

POC Spine VPD Protection 2.0 Jacket 2012

I have been waiting for this release, seems like a nice upgrade to my v1 POC Spine protector.

Sizing was an issue with v1 I had (used a Large jacket, with a Medium VPD spine pad...I am 6ft 1in).

Does anyone have experience with these yet? How is the fit?

Looks like a few places have them in stock, like CRC (Medium).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

Arf, he said.
    And it's not white

Canfield Brothers
    We just got these in at my shop. I'm 5'6" and have a 38" chest, the Medium is spot on for me. (I wore a Med in V1 as well). I'm pretty stoked on how low profile the jacket is. I can finally wear full protection and not look like I'm playing football...

The Joint VPD 2.0 Long Knees are pretty sweet as well...

mtbr member
    Looks sharp. I'm assuming still not leatt or neck brace compatible?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just ordered one. Wait, these aren't Leatt compatible? That could be a serious problem.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Just ordered one. Wait, these aren't Leatt compatible? That could be a serious problem.
    Not sure about Leatt, but mine works well with my Aplinestars...

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Ouch at the price.

edit: just looks like crc were expensive.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Mines on the way, was 260, I have seen it for as little as 230. Ordered a Large.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sounds like the Leatt brace should fit OVER the suit reasonably well. I'll know more once I get mine, but here's what POC had to say:

"The VPD 2.0 works better than most back protectors together with the Leatt brace due to the adaptive properties of the material used in the back protector, which makes it follow the backline rather than sticking out of the top like hard protectors, but it does not have a cut out solution for the brace. With the chest protection in the same material, it is even more compatible than the previously preferred VPD Tee.

Our sponsored DH world cup racers use the brace on top of the back protector instead of underneath since it is so flexible, however Leatt recommends to use it underneath for the absolute best fit."

mtbr member
    Interesting. Seems like in the past it simply did not fit well and POC did not encourage it. At least that is a moderate endorsement.

I have been trying to decide between the POC and the Nukeproof from CRC that is fully leatt compatible.

Curious to see if anybody has any further comments on the POC and brace fit after they get their VPD 2.0's.

mtbr member
    I wore mine for the first time last weekend. In short, I LOVE IT!

The two main problems with the first version: the back protector was too big, and the fabric fell apart too easily. I had to repair (restitch and reglue) three times.

The design seems to be much better. The large VPD 2.0 back protector is actually smaller than the medium VPD 1.0 back protector.

Money well spent, IMO

mtbr member
    i am 5.10" 94kg and medium fits better than the poc 1 ...

ride Downhill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I still haven't gotten mine, but will post back once I do. Anyone try it with a Leatt yet?

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 and used to wear a large ver.1.
    It was fine in the body but long on the arms.

I have about a 42" chest, so it seems a may be between a medium and large with the ver.2
    Problem is there theres no local stockists here to try one out.

mtbr member
    ok, i ride it yesterday for 2hours and can say verry verry hot and the back protector slides, andl moves up to the neck. so i go back to the shock doctor SD BP 7855-HW . and my old dainese gladiator.
    less heat problem and no slip!!!!
    with dbx3 dont work fine!! with the largest piece the leatt go not down to the sholder... i never can use the leatt over a chest protector...
    Last edited by 8664; 04-22-2012 at 05:21 AM.

ride Downhill.

mtbr member
    Yea, I sent mine back after trying it on. The seams in the armpit were very uncomfortable after a couple minutes. It would be too hot with a shirt under. Next is the nukeproof. It will be here this week. I will post up in the dh forum with initial impression once I get it.

mtbr member
    Several rides in now, so am posting an update and response to above comments.

Comfort: VPD 2.0 is indeed softer and more flexible than VPD v1 (at least comparing side by side, sometimes materials get stiff over time and my VPD v1 is over 2 yrs old).

Having VPD, even with holes, is indeed warmer than plastic. I think it will be warmer than most of the chest protectors out there without a sternum guard. Guards that do have that extra level of protection, like the 661 Pressure Suit, will be comparable and offer less protection IMO. However, I have only compared it to my Rockgarden protector in actual use (as opposed to just trying it on at the shop)

@jimarin & 8664: I use an UA Heatgear underneath all my chest protectors. It smothers you in silky comfort, and actually helps to disperse the sweat, which leads to increased cooling capacity. I ride with a long sleeve UA Coldgear in the winter, or a long sleeve jersey.

Regarding Leatt brace. I actually sold my Leatt DBX Pro Carbon brace. There is no objective data on it's benefit (I am a Physician, and Physics/Engineering major in undergrad). I think it does help, but only in certain situations. Frankly, I think the main reason people wear it, is they worry about being paralyzed sure, but it is comfortable to wear and virtually has no restriction on movement with normal riding positions. All chest protectors are bulky and warmer, and restrict movement (why the Slopestyle guys don't wear them, I presume). Wearing a brace that possibly only protects three or four vertebrae (C4, C5, C6, +/- one level), but eschewing a back and chest protector that prevents against another 17+ vertebrae, adds cardiac and pulmonary protection, shoulder protection (the most common serious injury is to the clavicle), and with a normal helmet, also protects against hyperflexion injury of the neck....well, that doesn't make sense.

Sizing: I am 6' 1", with a wingspan of about 6' 4" and I weigh 195-200. With the large the Torso fits me perfectly, the v1 protector was too tight, but still ok. With the integrated arms, this so far has been wonderful, it means I do not have to tighten the straps much, which would sometimes cut off circulation for longs days at Whistler. I think they made them too long however. As even with my 6'4" wingspan, they fit perfectly. This means in 1-2 seasons they will likely stretch and be too long.

Speaking of too long...that was a damn long post.

mtbr member
    i use a 150gr merino short sleave shirt under...
    the protection is top!!
    what you say about "slide up" the back plate?
    i made a seam above the poc loge so the shield can not move more up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails POC Spine VPD Protection 2.0 Jacket 2012-poc-seam.jpg  

Last edited by 8664; 04-22-2012 at 10:41 AM.

ride Downhill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents here. Got my first full day with the new VPD 2.0 Spine protector.

I'm 5'10.5" and the Medium seemed to fit reasonably well although if I was much bigger I'd prob consider the Large. Wearing it was pretty comfortable, especially after I got warm and the material got flexible. Protection wise it seems pretty good even compared to other plastic suits (I used to have a Rockgardn one). I went OTB real good on a table top from knuckling the landing while super nose heavy. I hit the landing with my left arm/elbow taking the brunt of the force as I slid down it. The fronts of my arms got scraped up a bit, but the elbow and adjacent part of the forearm that took most of the impact was OK. I think something similar would've happened with a plastic elbow pad, so that's a good sign.

I wore my Leatt DBX helmet over the armor without any issues. It fit over the spine/chest protector pieces easily and didn't seem to restrict my head movement or vision. The Leatt did move around a bit more than in my old setup where I fit it under the armor, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I got mine 2 weeks ago and haven't ridden with it yet. I was trying it on in the LBS and my buddy (owner of said LBS) comes up unbeknownst to me and punches me in my back hard! Real hard! The shot landed to the left of the spine right below the rib cage, and I dropped to my knees gasping for air and moaning barely audible "I'm gonna be pi$$ing blood you a$$hole". I know it's not a review of the product but I did get the 2.0 below cost after that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Gave this an extensive try on.

5-11' 160lb, size M seemed to fit well.

Overall am not happy with the protection. Would want more padding on the elbow, the back/spine slides around too much. Am not sure that much of it would stay in place during a serious crash.

Seems that the higher end plastic protectors are still the way to go...

Edit: I notice that the OP photo shows a waist belt. The jacket I tried on did not have this... Suspect that it would make a large difference and much improve my opinion of this protector.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Edit: I notice that the OP photo shows a waist belt. The jacket I tried on did not have this... Suspect that it would make a large difference and much improve my opinion of this protector.
    Mine shipped with the waist belt tucked into the spine protector pocket. Perhaps yours is buried in there?

mtbr member
    ^^Lol, I hadn't realized this either. I was using the POC v1 belt. Shockgarden.com ended up shipping me out a replacement belt super fast.

There are three things in the back protector slot:
    1. The VPD armor pad
    2. The waist belt (its not really a kidney protector)
    3. A foam/mesh pad to go between the VPD pad and the jacket sleeve (aids in comfort and reduces the pad sliding around)

Living the High Life
    Is that chest piece removeable? I like the split chest on the V1, my old 661 always got in my way. And I always fall on my elbows, shoulders and back. I tuck and roll so I cannot remember ever hitting my chest hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    Yea, I sent mine back after trying it on. The seams in the armpit were very uncomfortable after a couple minutes. It would be too hot with a shirt under. Next is the nukeproof. It will be here this week. I will post up in the dh forum with initial impression once I get it.
    Did you get the nukeproof jacket in yet? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast