Radical Rookie

Please share your opinions on these bikes. Thanks!

Hi guys,

Here we go again. Need some opinions for a DH rig that is agile. Won't be playing hardcore stuff like ridgeline or Rampage wannabe kinda level. The typical DH trails only.

So here goes:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Transition TR450
    Specialized Demo
    Knolly Podium

And also:

What do you guys think of the Cosair Konig 78?

Thanks!

GAME ON!
    all good.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Pivotal figure
    If your main concern is agility then how about a "Mini DH" like the Transition TR250 or even a Canfield "One"? I rode a Canfield Balance for a few years and that bike was surprisingly capable on all but the nastiest trails...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Moose Member
    I know Jim, the current owner of corsair, and was talking to him a while ago about the new bikes. He told me about the 46 he built up, and said it was lighter and poppier than it looks. He hit a full line of BMX style dirt jumps on it. I didn't get to ride it, but he's not one to lie about stuff.

If that's any indication of the 7-8, it's going to be pretty light a poppy. It's definitely worth a look into. I know i'm very intrigued by the 46

Also, Demo 8, not poppy, or very playful. It's a plow bike, and it plows well, but if you're looking for more nimble and playful, look somewhere else.

I've also heard the Flatline is a plow bike. It likes to stay on the ground, but I've never ridden one.

I've only heard good things about the 450, but one of my friends who is more of a freerider/jumper said it was too much bike, and he'd like something smaller and more playful, and he sold his.

And the podium, once again nothing but good things about them. Definitely worth a good look. I've never ridden one, or really known anyone with one, but the people that ride them and talk about it online love them.

I've only ridden the Demo 8 from your list, and it's more plow and speed than casual fun. I'd steer away from the flatline too, although they are dope. I'd reccomend looking at more Mini-DH bikes, like 6 or 7 inch travel bikes. I'm on a 2011 Fiath right now, so solid! Can plow, but I just got a new airshock, feels light and poppy, super nimble, just my style. My previous bikes was a 2008 Rocky Mountain Slayer SS (6" Travel) and felt the same as my faith, but with more slopestyle/dirtjump feel to the frame.

As far as your list, I'd look most into the Konig, because that you can adjust down to 7" if you want, and it looks pretty solid, and low maintenance. I know once the prices get announced and frames start dropping, I'll be seriously looking into one.

mtbr member
    The Demo is THE most fun bike out of the lot. It's got the shortest rear end and that lends to a bike that loves to leave the ground and is easy to manoeuvre. Most people calling it a plow bike just don't have their suspension set up for it. Granted, the Demo is not the best for pedalling of the lot, but as a jumper that's fairly quick and agile? It blows the rest out of the water.
    In all fairness, Moosey does have a point about looking at shorter travel bikes if you want fun. The Transition TR250 is a good example. Although billed as a smaller TR450, it rides better and feels a lot more agile and jumpy than the TR450.

Radical Rookie
    Hey thanks guys, can you share videos of what kind of trails you guys go to?
    I only goes to Indonesia and Thailand.

Moose Member
    I ride Northstar, so just go to Pinkbike or Youtube and search for videos of Northstar.

It's a lot smoother on an 8" plow bike, but way more fun on a 7" or even 5" Bike (I rode my felt compulsion there one day, even on some double blacks). Smaller travel bikes aren't as fast, but make the smaller and the bigger stuff more fun.

BTW more info on the Demo I tested. It was set up beyond right. Kirt Vories set it up for me with a Pro tuned Vivid Air and Boxxer WC air, plus I'm a light guy at 135lbs (ish). It jumped, but felt more sluggish than other 8" bikes I've ridden, and a hell of a lot more sluggish than my shorter travel bikes (7",6", 5", and 4" bikes). NOW, BEAR IN MIND that a lot still comes to set-up. If you toss an airshock on there and pump up the rebound really high and the PSI really high, it will jump alright, but it will lose performance in the real DH sections. World Cup riders ride the Demo 8 because it's fast and plows, and there's not really a lot of jumps on WC tracks (yes there are some, but not a lot). They don't ride the Demo 8 because it's light, poppy, and playful and jumps great, they ride it cause it's low, stable, and fast over rocks.

I'd seriously look into 7 or even 6" mini-DH bikes, or at least adjustable bikes like the Banshee Scythe, or Konig 78.

Radical Rookie
    I actually wanted to change bike cos I feel its an overlap with my RMB Element which I use for local trails. And the Enduro is like too much bike for normal day endurance long rides and yet not all the way there for DH trails. And I have a good deal that requires me to only top up about a grand for the upgrade to RMB Flatline (if I sell the Enduro).

For Cikole, I had even contemplated riding the trail with my Blk Mkt Killswitch but the dudes told me I might compensate the fun with lack of speed and too much concentration. So a proper DH bike MAY get me to really enjoy the trail more.

So does the bike arsenal part affects the decision making?
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

Moose Member
    Wait, you have a killswitch and an enduro? Sell the enduro, get the flatline, and you're set...

Plus, the killswitch would be soooo killer to ride DH on. It rough and slow, but it will help you with Downhilling in general, from picking better lines, to basic skills. My Compulsion has a lower shock, and I ride for DJ and slopestyle (similair to a killswitch) and is tons of fun at Northstar. I can't keep u pas well with my DH buddies, but on jump trails are so much fun, and even the DH stuff is fun because of the challenge.

Don't discount short travel bikes, especially slopestyle bikes because they are built to take a beating. If you already have a short travel slope bike, get a full on DH.

Radical Rookie
    Moosey!!!

That's exactly what I had in mind but some dudes was saying I might be biting off more than I can eat if I use a slopebike at DH trails. I admit I have low stamina, but I am always up for a jump challenge once I get used to a trail. (I still dun have balls for big gaps and 6 foot drops though) but I've tried every jump on pump tracks and dirt jump parks and had my fair share of crashes on my Killswitch. I just can't muster enough confidence on the Enduro cos I feel it is front biased in terms of weight distribution. I know I might feel the same way with the Flatline but I can always just plow thru with the Flatline. That's my initial take.
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

Pivotal figure
    I would ABSOLUTELY ride that Killswitch on a DH course! I ride my M4X everywhere and other than the super steep sections or really nasty rock gardens, it's an amazingly fun ride. You do have to focus more but having the ability to just "pop" over stuff really evens the field with the DH bikes. At the very least you should give it a few tries before making any decisions. I'm betting you'll be happy with what you have.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I respectfully disagree with the above comment about the Demo being agile. I believe that's your experience, but I had the opposite. I've ridden a Demo, and yes my set-up was as good as it could have been. It was still much more of a plow bike than an agile, lively light DH bike. Bikes like the Giant Glory are FAR more agile at low to medium speeds. The old geometry Glory did get a bit nervous feeling when at high speed though, and the Demo did easily beat it there. But the Demo's rear end always felt sort of dead, even with the proper tune and its short chainstays.

I have a Canfield One right now, and it's an AMAZING bike. I've been spewing it for months now on MTBR, but it's absolutely true. Best aggressive 'do anything' bike I've ever ridden, period. It weighs in at 34ish lbs, adjustable 7" to 8" of super smooth travel, Cane Creek DBcoil or DBair included, super burly frame, and to top it all off, it climbs exceptionally well. It climbs very comparably to a Speshy Enduro, Nomad, Reign X, or other 5-6" AM bikes, but it still can destroy nasty dh courses. It feels super nimble while going through the rough stuff as well. Incredible bike. Can't say enough good about the bike, nor the company. Their customer service is the best I've ever seen. I hadn't ridden one before i bought the frame, and I was a bit nervous. I had no reason to be. It's FAR exceeded my expectations in all aspects.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Radical Rookie
    Yes Kenbentit, Will defintely use the Killswitch for some of the courses.
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    knolly podium all the way, can be built up either 7 or 8 inch, and you can run a full lengh seatpost so pedaling shouldnt be to diffacult. i hear they pedal pretty well for a dh bike. gets great reviews from everyone who rides them, and is a very playful chuckable bike. also great comapny with awesome aftersales and backup. try one you wont be dissapointed.

Radical Rookie
    For some weird reasons, Knolly is kinda rare here although we have a dealer. I guess it' a monkey-see-monkey-follows kind of syndrome. I am a supporter of Canadian bikes myself and really like Knolly, but it is more affordable to buy Rocky Mountain here.
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

RideDirt
    If your not in a rush to buy yet and can wait , i will give you a review on the Demo 8 . I just ordered one and its coming in next week and ill have her out and about . Im not a freerider kinda guy but i enjoy those rocky nasty steep DH trails . Once in a while i like to rip on the groomed stuff tho to get that kick in .

As for Knolly , i had a Chilcotin that did very well even tho it isn't their DH bike . If their DH bike is anything like the Chilcotin then i give it a thumbs up , but they are expensive .

Keep in mind what company has parts readily available and what the customer service is like as well ..

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I respectfully disagree with the above comment about the Demo being agile. I believe that's your experience, but I had the opposite. I've ridden a Demo, and yes my set-up was as good as it could have been. It was still much more of a plow bike than an agile, lively light DH bike. Bikes like the Giant Glory are FAR more agile at low to medium speeds. The old geometry Glory did get a bit nervous feeling when at high speed though, and the Demo did easily beat it there. But the Demo's rear end always felt sort of dead, even with the proper tune and its short chainstays.
    Its interesting to hear all the perspectives..

I have ridden a glory and now a demo and i find the demo to be much more agile. The glory was a 45 lb beast.

Did you test the demo with a Cane Creek? It certainly helps the rear end feel more alive than other shocks i have tried (vivid coil and rc4)
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Its interesting to hear all the perspectives..

I have ridden a glory and now a demo and i find the demo to be much more agile. The glory was a 45 lb beast.

Did you test the demo with a Cane Creek? It certainly helps the rear end feel more alive than other shocks i have tried (vivid coil and rc4)
    I haven't tried the demo with a Cane Creek shock. I have a DBair and am familiar with their adjustability, so I imagine it might be somewhat better, but I can't see it being completely night and day. And a Glory at 45 lbs?!! Holy crap, they must have filled the frame with buck shot to get it that heavy. Was it the old style with the glory hole for the shock? That model was far heavier than the newer model. That 45 lb would definitely make it feel sluggish and dead. The one I rode was 37 lb and it wasn't even that high end a build. Super flicky and nimble.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I haven't tried the demo with a Cane Creek shock. I have a DBair and am familiar with their adjustability, so I imagine it might be somewhat better, but I can't see it being completely night and day. And a Glory at 45 lbs?!! Holy crap, they must have filled the frame with buck shot to get it that heavy. Was it the old style with the glory hole for the shock? That model was far heavier than the newer model. That 45 lb would definitely make it feel sluggish and dead. The one I rode was 37 lb and it wasn't even that high end a build. Super flicky and nimble.
    yes it was the older style

my stock demo sits at 38

i think its all about set up..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie nick View Post
    Hey thanks guys, can you share videos of what kind of trails you guys go to?
    I only goes to Indonesia and Thailand.
    If by "Thailand" you are talking about Chang Mai*, that's not the terrain for a Killswitch. Sure, it can be done (and I know someone who took one there), but the short travel will have you battered up by the end of the day.

*Mainly steep, loose and heavily rutted natural fall lines and rock gardens.

Radical Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    If by "Thailand" you are talking about Chang Mai*, that's not the terrain for a Killswitch. Sure, it can be done (and I know someone who took one there), but the short travel will have you battered up by the end of the day.

*Mainly steep, loose and heavily rutted natural fall lines and rock gardens.
    No, I would not use anything less than 200 mm in Chiangmai Just to be safe
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5