Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    metrotuned WoS

Idea! Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Platform Pedal Shootout!

As a single speed rider, I prefer the simplicity and get on and ride how you come approach. The general rule when it comes to pedals is, if you cant ride with flip flops or jack purcells, your bike is a failure.

Figured I could pop this in any category like singlespeed or 29er but downhill freeride riders are the most renown for rocking platform pedals in even the most intense, dangerous gravity induced situations successfully.

While weight is often shaved and marketed in connection points on the bike (saddle, handlebar, pedals), these are the most important to me to feel solid to the rider. Saving weight elsewhere is a better move 'cause the solid feel equals confidence.

I reviewed four foundational pedals. While all superb pedals, I found the winner - the Sunline V-One platform pedal.

Atomlab Trailking: an innovative design that has been copied by everyone, the 17mm thin crowd got its inspiration from this pedal. Sweet looks, my favorite in the looks department, CNC machined minimal with a fantastic shape and really looks tits mounted to a single speed and is thinnest body of the lot. Due to DU bushings (which are the least desirable), it develops play quite easily, so have a stash of DU bushings for replacements and the problem is solved. Atomlab is good about providing these replacements and they're fast, simple to replace with an allen key. The performance is least of the lot due to pin placement, flat body, and DU bushings - my foot has slipped jumping off street curbs! Studs did rip a number of holes and lines into my shins causing permanent scarring and for the lackluster amount of grip they provide, wasn't worth it. The newer Pimp and Pimplite mag pedals have resolved the DU bushing issue with sealed bearings while staying with a similar shape. 540g pair, $100

Easton Flatboy: a design that is over ten years old! Classic, beefy, concave and grippy. Comes in only ano black, matches your Easton cockpit. A bit boring as the design hasn't changed for decade - meaning the pedal works well! 572g pair, $75

Syncros Mental Stainless Steel: the rawest of the bunch, made of stainless steel versus aluminum like the others. Also like the fact that you dont see rebrands of this pedal 'cause they're so ugly, no one is going to copy them. Random non-bike people will ask you about the pedals. A whopping weight penalty, almost double that of the other pedals, but it's easily justified as these just are the last to break from any ravishing hit or scrape. I treat them badly and they look identical to new. I really like the way these spin and the heaviness works by providing a solid connection to the bike. Lifetime warranty on the bodies to prove it! 800g pair, $80

Sunline V-One: Solved the problems of the Atomlab Trailkings by using loaded sealed bearings, concave body, and added the machined pyramids from the Brooklyn Machine Works Veggie Burgers and notorious Shin Burger pedals. When the stud screws are installed on top of the pyramids, your foot is not slipping, at all. Best grip of the lot. Anodized gunmetal blue titanium to match the Sunline V-One cockpit. Also very close to the Hope Tech X2 Pro Mini carbon fiber edition anodization. 580g pair, $120

MTBR reviews 5 stars for the V-One's: http://content.mtbr.com/cat/drivetra...92_135crx.aspx

This shootout comparison test is missing some serious talent, help me fill that in, MTBR members!

Shimano DX, Straitline, Burgtec Penthouse, Odyssey Trailmix, DMR V12, NYC Freeride Glory Hole...

Brooklyn Machine Works (CNC) Veggie Burger: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/p...65_135crx.aspx

Canfield Brothers Crampon: Canfield Crampons 6 month review = they are solid

Point One Racing Podium: Point One Racing Podium Pedals short review

Answer Rove FR, Nukeproof Proton, Deity Decoy and the lot of re-branded HT Components (Taiwan) pedals. Hey, if you can get the HT originals for fifty bones with titanium spindles at under 300g, who's to say?...

Last edited by metrotuned; 04-11-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Atomlab Trailkings aren't flat, they are concave. I agree with the lack of traction possibility...which is why I sold them NIB for the Atomlab Aircorp that has more pins, and the same profile/concave body.

mtbr member
    Until you get the straitline pedals into this review, sorry, no good

Nah seriously, include the strait's, IMO best flat pedal you can get, also for bang for you buck, cant go past Kona Wah Wah's

metrotuned WoS
    NickM2R: bring it on! Where's the review at for the Straitlines?

And with the Kona Wah Wah's, they're generic, nothing against Kona, I saw Kona pedals bite Atomlabs design, see above picture of the HT pedals, they make the Kona's, the Deity, the Nukeproof, the NC-17, the...you name it.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

usually cranky
    theres a bunch of good pedals missing but good review so far.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    The 420's on my SXT that were only $59 bux
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    pedals are one of those things that, in my opinion, there are so many GOOD choices, and everyone has their personal preference, that its almost impossible to get a unbiased straight review.

biking is fun
    I haven't ever liked any of the atomlabs i have owned.

The aircorps blew up on the trail. The pedal and bushing went flying into the bushes. We had to try to zip tie the pedal to the axle which was still left in the crank arm.

The trailkings lack pins and they get a lot of play in them. They are also pretty heavy

my favorites

Canfield crampons - here is my review of them http://mtbgeartech.com/blog/canfield...-pedals-review

Corsair - but who knows if they will still make them since atomlab bought them out. im not sure if they actually ever were released. I just happened to know a guy who knew a guy.....

Deity decoys - best pedals for the money, lightish and good traction.

would love to try

twenty6 prerunners
    point1 podiums

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Throw the wellgo MG-1s in there

375 grams,

Super bite,

1 season per set ( i ride a ton), @ 40 a pair, they are replaceable (like any pedal)

Best light weight pedal of the entire market, I have years with the model ask anyone!
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

RIDE4FUN
    So far I like my atomlab pimplites. Large smooth and light. Straightlines are slightly overpriced in my opinon but super durable and easy to work on. I've taken apart a couple of sets, cleaned them and thrown on some lube, going good as new.
    I will say though, come may, I'm getting a set of diety's. Decoy 2.0 and the LT will both be coming out.
    Grassroots Cycles
    Check out our BLOG

banned
    Mar 2010
    I am all about Canfield Crampons...Pedals are beyond amazing...very thin and 18 pins, better then clipless!

mtbr member
    3. Shimano DX (long pins)
    2. Straitlines
    1. Point1
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

brake later, pedal sooner
    kona wah wah... $80.

calma
    Shimano DX combo of long and short pins, expensive but very strong / durable.

hands up who wants to die
    Nm2345
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

Pain is a way of life
    I have used a few pedals and ride some very knarly rockgardens and pedals take
    a beating. So far none beat the Straitline pedals.

Pedals used are
    Straitline...great grip and very durable, can't ask for more

50/50xx....so far the worst made pedal i have used...lasted 1 day
    and once fixed lasted 3 days...gave them to my 10 year old to use

Kona Jackshit.....Not bad for a cheaper pedal. They slipped a bit but lasted.

BMW Shinburgers....Grippy as long as it wasn't muddy out...but very heavy

Cheers
    Big T

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    pointoneracing.com/podium
    i used to buy mg1's every like 6 months because they were so cheap, but after finally breaking down and buying the point1's i can tell you that i will never go back. you instantly feel so much more stable on the bike. it's weird. never thought I would make that much of a difference, but it did. they have my vote

sixsixtysix
    Ridden BMW's Shinburgers, Wellgo's, etc etc etc.

The pedal on all my bikes is the Sunline V1. Paired with 5.10's there is no need for anything grippier.

mtbr member
    does anyone know where I can get a pair of the HT pedals? I found other models but no the one in the pic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_prodigy
    does anyone know where I can get a pair of the HT pedals? I found other models but no the one in the pic.
    http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/h...edal-355-p.asp
    From the UK but shipping is not too bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy67
    http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/h...edal-355-p.asp
    From the UK but shipping is not too bad.

Thanks for the link but thats not the one. Im lookin for the one in the picture, the one thats the same as the superstars and the deitys. I tried buying the superstars but they dont ship to the U.S.

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    NickM2R: bring it on! Where's the review at for the Straitlines?

And with the Kona Wah Wah's, they're generic, nothing against Kona, I saw Kona pedals bite Atomlabs design, see above picture of the HT pedals, they make the Kona's, the Deity, the Nukeproof, the NC-17, the...you name it.
    Wrong. Look at the pins. The nice thing that sets the Konas (and now the newer Aircorps) appart is it isnt a little pin for traction, it is a hex bolt with a head that comes all the way through the pedal. This way the pin will bend but wont rip out taking the threads with is like on any pedal where the pins dont go all the way through. Bent pin can be cut then the rest of the bolt and head backed out... threads are ready for a new bolt. With those silly grub screw things (Deity, HT, Superstar, Nukeproof, older Aircorps, MG-1s) a good whack rips them out, leaving the threads trashed and you with one less place to put a pin. Its the little details that make the difference and this is the one triat I would never sacrifice with pedals. Just my .02
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

RIDE4FUN
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_prodigy
    Thanks for the link but thats not the one. Im lookin for the one in the picture, the one thats the same as the superstars and the deitys. I tried buying the superstars but they dont ship to the U.S.
    http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/pedals-82-c.asp
    clicked the pedals link on the side
    Grassroots Cycles
    Check out our BLOG

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I guess I'm too old. I still use DMR V12 Mags.

"The Freak Show"
    I've only had about 3 rides on my new answer rove pedals, but so far I've got nothing bad to say about them. The way I look at it is if I can have a ride and not notice my (insert bike part here) then its doing its job. Plus I run 5.10 shoes and they make just about any platform pedal have great grip. The CrankBros 5050xx I was running last year seemed to have too much grip with my 5.10s and couldnt move my foot at all, and the 5050s where crap!
    Go big or go home in a wheel chair!
    Info on 2011 racing season

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast