Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

1M views 2K replies 506 participants last post by  shwinn8 
#1 · (Edited)
Platform Pedal Shootout!

2018 Update for best pedal:

• high range: Gamut Podium for class, weight, height, uniqueness, aesthetics, performance, size, desirability with roots in the SF Bay Area Point One Racing small CNC operation, 3rd generation design lineage
  • low range: Lixada Y2259B for value, comparable to any VP/HT/Wellgo ultra-thin-light-wide pedal, and an unbeatable value $24-29 shipped to your door from multiple online sources

As a single speed rider, I prefer the simplicity and get on and ride how you come approach. The general rule when it comes to pedals is, if you cant ride with flip flops or jack purcells, your bike is a failure.

Figured I could pop this in any category like singlespeed or 29er but downhill freeride riders are the most renown for rocking platform pedals in even the most intense, dangerous gravity induced situations successfully.

While weight is often shaved and marketed in connection points on the bike (saddle, handlebar, pedals), these are the most important to me to feel solid to the rider. Saving weight elsewhere is a better move 'cause the solid feel equals confidence.

I reviewed four foundational pedals. While all superb pedals, I found the winner of these four - the Sunline V-One platform pedal.

:eekster:

Atomlab Trailking: an innovative design that has been copied by everyone, the 17mm thin crowd got its inspiration from this pedal. Sweet looks, my favorite in the looks department, CNC machined minimal with a fantastic shape and really looks tits mounted to a single speed and is thinnest body of the lot. Due to DU bushings (which are the least desirable), it develops play quite easily, so have a stash of DU bushings for replacements and the problem is solved. Atomlab is good about providing these replacements and they're fast, simple to replace with an allen key. The performance is least of the lot due to pin placement, flat body, and DU bushings - my foot has slipped jumping off street curbs! Studs did rip a number of holes and lines into my shins causing permanent scarring and for the lackluster amount of grip they provide, wasn't worth it. The newer Pimp and Pimplite mag pedals have resolved the DU bushing issue with sealed bearings while staying with a similar shape. 540g pair, $100

Easton Flatboy: a design that is over ten years old! Classic, beefy, concave and grippy. Comes in only ano black, matches your Easton cockpit. A bit boring as the design hasn't changed for decade - meaning the pedal works well! 572g pair, $75

Syncros Mental Stainless Steel: the rawest of the bunch, made of stainless steel versus aluminum like the others. Also like the fact that you dont see rebrands of this pedal 'cause they're so ugly, no one is going to copy them. Random non-bike people will ask you about the pedals. A whopping weight penalty, almost double that of the other pedals, but it's easily justified as these just are the last to break from any ravishing hit or scrape. I treat them badly and they look identical to new. I really like the way these spin and the heaviness works by providing a solid connection to the bike. Lifetime warranty on the bodies to prove it! 800g pair, $80

Sunline V-One: Solved the problems of the Atomlab Trailkings by using loaded sealed bearings, concave body, and added the machined pyramids from the Brooklyn Machine Works Veggie Burgers and notorious Shin Burger pedals. When the stud screws are installed on top of the pyramids, your foot is not slipping, at all. Best grip of the lot. Anodized gunmetal blue titanium to match the Sunline V-One cockpit. Also very close to the Hope Tech X2 Pro Mini carbon fiber edition anodization. 580g pair, $120

MTBR reviews 5 stars for the V-One's: https://content.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/pedal/sunline/v-one/PRD_416992_135crx.aspx

:eek:

This shootout comparison test is missing some serious talent, help me fill that in, MTBR members!

Shimano DX, Straitline, Burgtec Penthouse, Odyssey Trailmix, DMR V12, NYC Freeride Glory Hole...

Brooklyn Machine Works (CNC) Veggie Burger: Brooklyn Machine Works Veggie Burgers Pedal user reviews : 5 out of 5 - 26 reviews - mtbr.com

Canfield Brothers Crampon: Canfield Crampons 6 month review = they are solid- Mtbr.com

Point One Racing Podium: Point One Racing Podium Pedals short review- Mtbr.com

Answer Rove FR, Nukeproof Proton, Deity Decoy and the lot of re-branded HT Components (Taiwan) pedals. Hey, if you can get the HT originals for fifty bones with titanium spindles at under 300g, who's to say?... :rolleyes:

:madmax:

See less See more
#1,350 ·
Well I'm about to try some nylon composite, doubly concave BMX pedals, with molded pins though. Maybe I will like them (grip is suspect), and they should really extend the life of shoe soles. I'll have to test it in the long run of course, what turns out cheaper: replacing shoes or replacing plastic pedals.

Trying to save shoes has the additional benefit if one is used to a nicely worn-in pair and has trouble getting used to new ones.

#1,358 ·
Man, who knew that it was possible to make deciding on a pedal so difficult? I needed to pick up two sets of pedals. One for my Transition Bottlerocket and one for my Transition Double. I didn't want to go super cheap, but I also didn't want to spend more than $150 total for both sets (including tax and shipping). So after doing a bunch of digging around between this thread and other searches, I ended up grabbing one of each of these sets:

Moove Torque (Thru Pin) ($64usd shipped)

Deity Compound ($51usd shipped)

I figured the Torque would be similar to the Deity Decoys I had in the past and really liked, but with thru pins instead of grub screws.

The Compounds seemed to have some good reviews with those that have tried them. I almost ordered the Fyxation pedals I referenced earlier, but I like that the Compounds have a nylon body which, in theory, will be stronger. At first I wasn't keen to the idea of the non-metal body, but with the metal pins, I think it ought to work out ok. My biggest concern is how they'll grip (or not) when its wet/muddy out. I sent mail to Deity asking how the grip would compare to the Decoys. I expected that there would be less grip, however, Eric Davies' email indicated that they're just as grippy and some people have reported them being even more grippy.

So, I should have both of them in the next week or so (didn't realize the Moove pedals were coming from Ireland to me in Seattle). I'll get a couple rides on them and report back my opinions. I'll be riding them in FiveTen Lion Kings and the previous pedals I've used are the Deity Decoys, some Kona Pedals (not wah wahs or jackshits), and an older Specialized platform.

edit: also lol and my reading comprehension. The Fyxation Mesa MP is made from Nylon as well.

-joel

#1,451 ·
Man, who knew that it was possible to make deciding on a pedal so difficult? I needed to pick up two sets of pedals. One for my Transition Bottlerocket and one for my Transition Double. I didn't want to go super cheap, but I also didn't want to spend more than $150 total for both sets (including tax and shipping). So after doing a bunch of digging around between this thread and other searches, I ended up grabbing one of each of these sets:

Moove Torque (Thru Pin) ($64usd shipped)

I figured the Torque would be similar to the Deity Decoys I had in the past and really liked, but with thru pins instead of grub screws.
-joel
Finally got to ride these pedals yesterday and it was a very very muddy day. Lots of turns with very soupy and peanut buttery mud. It was pretty gross out on the trails.

And these pedals were awesome! Along with my FiveTen Line Kings, not a pedal was slipped. It was super easy to readjust my foot, but I felt like I was still locked into it. I had a couple pedal strikes and the pins/body show no signs. tbh, they were slow speed strikes so I wouldn't expect much to have happened.

So, compared to the Deity Compounds, I prefer them because of the concaveness. The other night, I was just messing around in the neighborhood and got on both of my bikes back to back. The flatness of the Compounds seemed more pronounced. It felt like I was standing on the spindles rather than on the full platform of the Torques. I didn't feel like there was any less grip. My feet definitely stick well to the Compounds, but it felt like I was more on top of the pedal instead of "in" the pedal.

In terms of being locked to the pedal, the Deity Decoys have more grip. At the same time, its easier to readjust your foot on the Torques. I don't know if its a difference between the grub screws and the thru-pins. I may pick up a pair of the Torques with grub screws just for comparison.

Given a choice between the Deity Decoy, Compound, or Moove Torques and if pricepoints were exactly the same, I'd take the Decoys. Wide platform and ultra grippy. Given that we're in the real world, I'd be fine with saving a couple dollars and getting the Torques. Its only a difference of $30 shipped, but it counts as something.

-joel

#1,360 ·
so, I have to say that my initial impression of the deity compound pedals is positive. they are certainly thin and light weight. I also think the dimensions are nice and big too. I thought I saw somewhere its 106mm by 105mm. I'd go measure, but my bike is at my friends house currently.

I didn't get to try them on a muddy day, but it was still a wet day. I was wearing five ten lion kings. I was on a run called bermsled, which as you can guess, is full of berms to pump in and out of and some pedaling between sets. I didn't slip a pedal once and felt like I was locked in pretty good. I was actually surprised by this. when I first put the pedals on, I definitely didn't feel like I was locked on like the decoys I was comparing to. I felt like I was missing something with only 2 front pins instead of 3. this turned out to be a non-issue as I felt I had all the traction I needed for the trail I was on. I will admit that I would still like to have that third pin. I was riding smooth trail on a Transition Double. I'd be curious to see if traction would feel the same on a rougher trail. I'm also curious how they are in muddy conditions.

In terms of the body, there wasn't anything about my riding day that said, "hey, you're on nylon pedal bodies". All I noticed was that I was on a nice wide platform. The other thing about the body is that its not concaved at all. I'm not sure why Deity went this route. However, just like only having 2 pins on the front row, this proved to be a non-issue out on the trail.

So, if I were to make a change or suggestion to Deity, I'd add that 3rd pin in the front row. It looks like there is enough space for it. I'd also make it a concave body. That way you'd feel more like you're "in" the pedal rather than on it. If I were to guess, I'd say that Deity designed the pedal as is to make it easier for the rider to reposition on the pedal. At the same time, if you're more locked into the pedal, why would you need to reposition?

Unfortunately, I wont be able to get more riding time on them this year. While on the same trail, I broke my collar bone in a crash. I was trying to clear some jumps when things went awry for me. The crash was in no way related to the pedals. It just means that I'm done riding until next spring. :(

Hope that helps someone that's researching the Deity Compounds.

-joel

#1,367 ·
I highly recommend the 510 Freeriders. I've had Spitfires, Impacts and Freeriders. Impacts are HEAVY duty! Way too much for the average trail rider. Spitfires are pretty good shoes but the uppers aren't very padded and they aren't as durable(the uppers). The Freeriders are serviceable out in public, driving to and from the trail, etc. Sole still has enough flex that you're not clumping around but plenty stiff to stay comfy on the bike. The padded toe box is much appreciated when you whack your foot on things;)

There's some killer deals floating around the web on the '13 model 510s. Google is your friend:)

My Freeriders fit the same as Adidas...for ME. I wear 9.5 in both.

#1,373 ·
Xpedo SPRY XMX24MC Platform Pedals

Mounted and tested with a comparison of the HT pedal line with the Xpedo SPRY pedals. The review is here.

...The current generation of platform mountain bike riders want thinness and lightness. Where does a pedal manufacturer compromise? With most of the latest and greatest pedals in the $150+ range, they're far from affordable. Cycling legend, Keith Bontrager, once said, "Light, strong, cheap - pick two." Although Bontrager's maxim is almost always the case, the Xpedo SPRY pedals aim at giving the flat pedal cyclist all three: light, strong, cheap.

Machine

#1,427 ·
Anybody live bodies riding these? Please let me know what you think.

Positive mid-term review here: Long Term Review: The Unbelievably Light & Affordable Xpedo Spry Platform Pedal

But wanted some possibly unbiased reporting... Thanks.

Mounted and tested with a comparison of the HT pedal line with the Xpedo SPRY pedals. The review is here.

...The current generation of platform mountain bike riders want thinness and lightness. Where does a pedal manufacturer compromise? With most of the latest and greatest pedals in the $150+ range, they're far from affordable. Cycling legend, Keith Bontrager, once said, "Light, strong, cheap - pick two." Although Bontrager's maxim is almost always the case, the Xpedo SPRY pedals aim at giving the flat pedal cyclist all three: light, strong, cheap.

View attachment 849142

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.