Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Just placed an order on the SS Nano thru pins. I'm my GF likes them enough I might get a pair for myself (and say goodbye to clipless)

mtbr member
    @Yardstick: Thanks! Great post. The Saints look chubby but compared to the others, is right there. Notice the Q-factor, the Saints are set out farther from the chainstays than the others, a design helpful to the bigger wider feet crowd.

@freeridin': I just called Point 1 Racing by their 408 number today, left a message again. It's going on two weeks without a reply by phone or email. I actually let Point 1 Racing know you had a "DM stem failure and was left in the dust."
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Finally finished reading this entire thread... whew!

I am a 6'4"/250lb clyde that wears size 14. Have been riding clipless but want to give platforms a shot. Will be wearing skate shoes (have 3-4 pairs of vans) with them. $150 is my max price. Here is what I have narrowed the field down to, curious what folks would recommend given my size.

Deity Decoy
    Shimano Saint
    Spank Spike
    Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    Da Bomb Bare Bones
    Answer Rove

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post

I am a 6'4"/250lb clyde that wears size 14. Have been riding clipless but want to give platforms a shot. Will be wearing skate shoes (have 3-4 pairs of vans) with them. $150 is my max price. Here is what I have narrowed the field down to, curious what folks would recommend given my size.

Deity Decoy
    Shimano Saint
    Spank Spike
    Da Bomb Bare Bones
    Answer Rove

Thanks!

I'm similarly sized (6'2", 265lb, size 13-14 depending on the shoe) and I vote for the Saints! I did a short ride on mine this morning and really like them.

mtbr member
    Eureka! Q-factor! That was what I meant, didn't know there was a term for it...
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Just placed an order on the SS Nano thru pins. I'm my GF likes them enough I might get a pair for myself (and say goodbye to clipless)
    Good choice. Borrow hers and try for a few rides

mtbr member
    ^^ That's the plan.
    I'm really curious about how these new gen thin/concave/etc flat pedals behave. My only experience is with old design DH pedals, and some people tell me that the difference with the new generation is huge.

I like to ride clipless, but after 10 years of those the shoe specific thing is really annoying me, and my knees are starting to get unhappy, even with ultra-floaty Time pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the longevity of these pedals since they seem to be similar design as the Da Bomb Bare Bones(rebranded HT AE01s).
    I took the pedals apart to see how similar they are to the Bare Bones and I think they are definitely made by the same company. Both the Bare Bones and the Ultimates use two DU bushing. The difference is that the Ultimates' bushings have a lip that extends out of the axle bore(kinda like the brim of a hat). I guess that eliminates the need for the tiny thrust bearing that the Bare Bones/AE01s have. The axle for the ultimates are slightly shorter due to the elimination of the external thrust bearing. I'm hoping that eliminating that thrust bearing will help these pedals perform better in wet conditions.
    Finally, looking at the shape of the pedal, the Ultimates are about 10mm thick in the center and tapering down to 6mm at the edges(basically same shape and tapering as the original crampons except the ultimates don't have the big hump in the middle). The Bare Bones are about 11mm thick in the center and depending on how you measure the edge, either 9.5mm(if you measure the thickest part of top and bottom near the edge) or 6mm(if you measure at the thinnest point of the pedal. But that's not at the edge of the pedal).
    The Ultimates weigh 320grams without pins. With pins they weighed 340grams on my kitchen scale. Bare Bones weighed 338 with pins when I weighed it in Feburary.
    Anyway, here are some pictures. First ride is tomorrow. Will report back on if they loosen up a bit.
    pedals side by side:

Another showing thickness. From left to right: Da Bomb Bare Bones, Crampons, Crampon Ultimates

Crampon Ultimates shape

Bare Bones and Ultimates thickness side by side
    Picture links are broken, can you repost?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^^ That's the plan.
    I'm really curious about how these new gen thin/concave/etc flat pedals behave. My only experience is with old design DH pedals, and some people tell me that the difference with the new generation is huge.

I like to ride clipless, but after 10 years of those the shoe specific thing is really annoying me, and my knees are starting to get unhappy, even with ultra-floaty Time pedals.
    If you can try with a pair of 5-10 shoes and don't give up after a few rides.
    Took me about a month to convert to flats.

mtbr member
    The upcoming Chromag pedals look interesting.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    too many options! I need simple since I like riding my bike more than I like unscrewing and repositioning pins.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Deity Decoy
    Shimano Saint
    Spank Spike
    Da Bomb Bare Bones
    Answer Rove

Thanks!
    So I pulled the trigger on a set of pedals and wouldn't you know it, they aren't one of the ones I listed above.

After looking at more stuff than I care to admit I am going with Straitline Platforms. They aren't the thinnest or the lightest but there is something very authentic about them. Found a red set on sale at CRC and they are headed my way. New Tallboy LTa arrives tomorrow, will ride clipless for a bit until the Straitlines arrive.
    Last edited by Jarlaxle; 08-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I recently picked up a pair of Answer Rove pedals, and I am sure glad I did. Other pedals I have extensive experience with are Wellgo magnesiums, Odyssey twisted (aluminum), Easton Cully's, regular Eastons, and Kona Jack Sh*ts.

These Rove's kick ass! Don't know if I'll ever buy different pair, that is if these keep holding my shoes so well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Fyxation Mesa 61 alloy

What do ya'll think?
    Fyxation*||* Mesa 61 Alloy Pedal

380g
    about $100
    are these another pedal rebranded?

No Clue Crew
    That Scarab looks very nice. Especially if you strip out a hole or two...

I just pulled the trigger on a set of Spikes. A friend offered a good discount on the Crampons but one criteria I was working on was that the pins had to go in the back side. Should be here tomorrow. First ride this weekend...

brake later, pedal sooner
    Point 1 Podiums...

both my pedals look like this:

still spinning smoothly as the first day i got them. thin, light, durable, grippy, easy to service, great pedal.

i had kona wah wah's before this and those are like the poor man's version of these.

mtbr member
    your pins are broked... lol!

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Crampons but one criteria I was working on was that the pins had to go in the back side.
    They do, they can go in from either direction, pin point up or screw side up, your choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    Point 1 Podiums...

both my pedals look like this:

still spinning smoothly as the first day i got them. thin, light, durable, grippy, easy to service, great pedal.

i had kona wah wah's before this and those are like the poor man's version of these.

I have both. And the Konas just don't compare to the grip levels of the Point1 Podiums. Especially if we're talking about stock pins. The new Podiums are shipping with longer pins these days, and even after upsizing the pins on my Wah Wahs, I sold them lol.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    anyone have a US source for the HT AE 01 pedals? teh googles is not helping out much.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    anyone have a US source for the HT AE 01 pedals? teh googles is not helping out much.
    bikeco.com

mtbr member
    So many bling pedals and only one bank account... sigh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    [/B]

I have both. And the Konas just don't compare to the grip levels of the Point1 Podiums. Especially if we're talking about stock pins. The new Podiums are shipping with longer pins these days, and even after upsizing the pins on my Wah Wahs, I sold them lol.
    wah wah's grip compares very well w/ the podiums, at least w/ 5.10 shoes. overall i prefer the podiums but the wah wah remains one of the better pedals on the market overall. not as light as some of the newer options, of course.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    wah wah's grip compares very well w/ the podiums, at least w/ 5.10 shoes. overall i prefer the podiums but the wah wah remains one of the better pedals on the market overall. not as light as some of the newer options, of course.
    Idk, I never truly liked mine. I do all my riding with the Vans waffle soles (Authentics or Eras) and they sure grip and bite into the Podiums a hell of a lot better. If in the market for Wah Wah, I preferred the Forte Convert pedals I had too. The pins are the Konas are short and thin.

As for your search for the HT AE-01 EVOs, try The Path Bike Shop.

I had a pair of those in black (and sold) before ultimately getting the Podiums, and taking apart the HT AE-01 EVOs I wasn't sold on their bearing system and the use of those super small bushings. And IMO, they definitely are NOT worth their $140+ asking price. The new Canfield pedals share the same design. And while they are thin, I sure prefer having a more robust looking pedal under me.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Eurospek, correct. The reason why I moved away from Atomlab was their dependency on janky little plastic washers - and the old generation of Eggbeaters. Washers wear away fast and disappear/disintegrate leaving the platform with side to side play. Although I understand the "race" rebuild process and the fact that washers are inexpensive, they are hard to source once you own the pedals if the extra washers are not included. Sealed bearings for the win. Ironically, I am finally having problems with Point One Podium's sealed bearings (the two smaller ones closest to the outside of the spindle. The update is $50 for a bearing service which I'm on the fence about due to the customer service email reply turnaround at ~2 weeks.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Hey guys, I was 99% sure I wanted a set of Crampon Ultimates but after reading the past few posts about tiny bearings and bushings I'm starting to waiver. The alternate choice would be the Spank Spike. Are people getting long wear cycles out of the Canfield pedals(Old model and new. The Ultimates obviously haven't been out long.) or do they need rebuilds quite frequently? I've also read some varying opinions on the Spikes but considering they produce and sell WAY more pedals than Canfield I'm not all that worried. You always hear the bad reviews, right?

I'm currently on Sub4s but they're needing a rebuild after two hard seasons of use and I'm also curious about trying a THIN pedal.

Canfield Ultimates or Spank Spikes? GO!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post

Based on customer service and my own experience dealing with them, definitely the Canfield stuff over the Spikes.

I had 0 riding hours on my HT AE-01 EVOs but it was right around the time when someone in this thread posted their findings with their Da Bomb Bare Bones (same exact pedal as the HT). It wasn't quick until I pulled mine apart and decided to sell them.

And I know Canfield has a slightly different design of these bushings on the new pedals but still nothing like the normal sealed bearings of something like the Podium, there's just no space for it.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Get the Canfields. If you have any problems they will take care of it quickly.

I have three sets of Crampons. One of the old style and two of the Ultimates. I love the pedals and have put the V1 through hell. After a year and a half of beatings I managed to bend a spindle. $5 replacement spindle and I was back to thrashing. Sure I spent $5 on that spindle but I still got hooked up because they sent two!

I have the Ultimates on my bikes now and use the V1s as loaners.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    of those, definitely Ultimates. Not only are they dope, but the brothers will deal with any problems you may ever have quickly and freely/cheaply. I would also throw the the Twenty6 predator on your list - not quite as thin, but LIFETIME WARRANTY. Seriously, I sent a pair of 2008 pre-runners back after bashing them off of rocks for a season and a half just to have the bushings replaced/spindles cleaned up, and Tyler replaced the cages, pins, bushings, and basically everything but the spindle with the 2010 edition for free, in less than a week, no questions asked. This was not some "your pedals broke while innocently riding down the street" claim, but more like "hey, I beat the ever living **** out of these for 18 months and now they don't run so good" claim. Only company I know of that will replace a component for expected user-inflicted wear and tear.

wuss
    I've had the Saints on my bike for a while now, and I have to say I'm really impressed. They cost 59€ which is about 1/3 of what the podiums or other top pedals here would cost, and half of what the cheaper common pedals would cost.

Yeah, they are not as thin which is a pity, but they feel like they will last quite some time.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    that was a year ago....still no sign, and not on 2013 bikes by the looks of things either

mtbr member
    Vp-69

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy View Post
    that was a year ago....still no sign, and not on 2013 bikes by the looks of things either
    I like the square-tipped pins on those Specialized pedals...

mtbr member
    ya for now, I'm riding saints since they're sub $100 and still have a good rep. I did notice that with the concave design, pedaling efficiency increased slightly. I ride with the ball of my feet at the lowest point where my foot naturally bends, which makes it very conformable and sticky. Especially since I can't afford 510s. lol

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    ya for now, I'm riding saints since they're sub $100 and still have a good rep. I did notice that with the concave design, pedaling efficiency increased slightly. I ride with the ball of my feet at the lowest point where my foot naturally bends, which makes it very conformable and sticky. Especially since I can't afford 510s. lol
    Knowing what I know now I'd DEFINITELY spend less on pedals if I had to to be able to afford 510s. I was one of the skeptical that couldn't believe that only one manufacturer on the planet was capable of making a good shoe. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the case. Although a buddy has a pair of the new Tevas and says they are about as good 510s. He wears them more than his 510s so they must be good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Knowing what I know now I'd DEFINITELY spend less on pedals if I had to to be able to afford 510s. I was one of the skeptical that couldn't believe that only one manufacturer on the planet was capable of making a good shoe. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the case. Although a buddy has a pair of the new Tevas and says they are about as good 510s. He wears them more than his 510s so they must be good.
    Sombrio Shazams are badass...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    Sombrio Shazams are badass...
    @$120 retail, they should be, and should hold up for 3 years, just like the similarly priced 5.10 and TEVA offerings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    @$120 retail, they should be, and should hold up for 3 years, just like the similarly priced 5.10 and TEVA offerings.
    My awesome soon to be wife bought me a pair... Been runnnin em on VP-69 pedals since EARLY spring. Great combo and theyre holding up great!! No signs of real wear and tear yet... Rode em A LOT too. Soles are not gettin chewed up by the pins or nothing. Very sticky yet you can position your foot. Love em

brake later, pedal sooner
    3 years? wow... my impacts are lucky to last a year and i really don't even ride as much as i should.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Da Bomb Bare Bones (same exact pedal as the HT). It wasn't quick until I pulled mine apart and decided to sell them.
    Same bushing/bearing system, but not "same exact pedal as the HT"
    Look at the pins, Da Bomb has less

I'm not allowed to embed images or post links yet

mtbr member
    Just my .02... Scored a pair of Odyssey JC PC's for $15 usd. Been rockin' 'em for about 6 hours now. Sticky as you'd expect, not as good a spin as clipless for xc, which is expected due to the bearing-less construction, but great for beach and bar cruising. Not the bling, but the performance it good, and for downhill (little pedaling) more than fine... Uphill or xc, not so good!
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurterno View Post
    Same bushing/bearing system, but not "same exact pedal as the HT"
    Look at the pins, Da Bomb has less

I'm not allowed to embed images or post links yet
    Looks the same to me. 6 regular pins (screws) per side and 4 grub screws toward the center.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh, my bad. I was looking at a picture in which it looked like the Da Bomb didn't have the two center pins. I stand corrected.
    I will crawl back into my cave now...

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Leg Shaver
    Any insiders here logging hours on the Shimano Saint yet?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner View Post
    Any insiders here logging hours on the Shimano Saint yet?
    I'm no insider, but I have three rides on the Saints so far. They are not the thinnest and not light. But they are a perfect size for my feet, feel strong, have plenty of grip and spin really smooth. I just ordered a second set.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    I'm no insider, but I have three rides on the Saints so far. They are not the thinnest and not light. But they are a perfect size for my feet, feel strong, have plenty of grip and spin really smooth. I just ordered a second set.
    Two rides here, but pretty much the same feeling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've got some Da bombs, stupid name but good pedals, the red looks great, they actually have 2 more pins HT's and "10 weight loss holes", HT have 0

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by br0m View Post
    I've got some Da bombs, stupid name but good pedals, the red looks great, they actually have 2 more pins HT's and "10 weight loss holes", HT have 0
    I rather like the name Da Bomb...much more exciting than HT.

mtbr member
    Who do you know that has ridden Teva MTB shoes for 3 years? (I'm assuming they ride in one pair of shoes exclusively and ride regularly, not occasionally) Have Teva MTB shoes even been out for 3 years?
    I've never gotten 3 years out of any MTB shoe before shredding them. To be honest, I don't expect them to last that long, considering what they go through - always rubbing rocks, sticks/logs & spiked pedals, pushing up steep chunky trails, etc.. I'd be happy with 1 1/2 years out of any bike shoe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My 5.10 Impacts only lasted for a about a year. The stiching on the lace closures started pulling apart from the leather.
    My running sneakers last less than six months, my tennis sneakers last about 3months, so getting a year out of a pair of mtb shoes is pretty good.

meow, meow.
    I got 2 solid years out of 5.10 Impact Lows. Been riding a lot, but mostly on pedals that had very short grub screw pins (NS Aerial 2009). They are still kind of usable, but outsoles look like deep, pedal-shaped trenches have been made in them. I stopped riding them because I noticed sizable pieces of porous midsole material were being ripped out.

I'm on Shimano AM40's since then, it's their second season, and pedal pins are much taller now (AMPs). Vibram outsoles hold up a little better, there are no trenches now, just wide shallow marks.

For the next pair I'm looking at some 5.10 Carvers, they look like Impact Lows (good wor wide, flat feet, and well protected) with lace flaps like AM40s.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I got 2 solid years out of 5.10 Impact Lows. Been riding a lot, but mostly on pedals that had very short grub screw pins (NS Aerial 2009). They are still kind of usable, but outsoles look like deep, pedal-shaped trenches have been made in them. I stopped riding them because I noticed sizable pieces of porous midsole material were being ripped out.

I'm on Shimano AM40's since then, it's their second season, and pedal pins are much taller now (AMPs). Vibram outsoles hold up a little better, there are no trenches now, just wide shallow marks.

For the next pair I'm looking at some 5.10 Carvers, they look like Impact Lows (good wor wide, flat feet, and well protected) with lace flaps like AM40s.
    I have 5.10 Karver's and love em!!

mtbr member
    check out these pedals i got for sale , these are truely all you can ask for from a set of pedals, large low pro, 3 sealed bearings in each pedal, 330-360 grams a pair. CNC machined body, traction pins, under $70 bucks. ive been importing and selling parts for almost a year, been working on bike for years, i know something is good when i see it. plus ive had lots of pedals in the past, none of them has better value than these guys

please dont blame me for prompting my own stuff.

Cycletrack CK028 light DH platform pedals. 6 bearings !!!! | eBay

CYCLETRACK CK008 XC Trail platform pedals 6 sealed bearings, traction pins | eBay

CYCLETRACK CK068 large lowpro Downhill platform pedals 330g, 6 sealed bearings | eBay
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark4299 View Post
    The Atomlab Trailkings aren't flat, they are concave. I agree with the lack of traction possibility...which is why I sold them NIB for the Atomlab Aircorp that has more pins, and the same profile/concave body.
    I completely disagree with the lack of traction with concave pedals. I'm riding saint mx80 pedals which are concave. The concave point makes a perfect seat for the ball of my foot, which in my opinion, increases traction. I say that since you have 2 degrees of locking mechanisms. The first is the pins. and the second is your foot's natural curve set into the pedal itself. Also I believe the concave pedal increases pedal efficiency since the ball of your foot is above the pedal shaft, which is where normal clipless shoe/pedal combinations lock. The only downside with concave pedals will be the thinness of the platform.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What about crankbrothers eggbeaters ? These are not very nice but they are cheap and I think that perform well

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phanis13 View Post
    What about crankbrothers eggbeaters ? These are not very nice but they are cheap and I think that perform well
    I think you missed the drift of this thread. Question is what is the best platform (i.e. NOT clipless) pedal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got my Straitline de Facto's the other day, finally got to try them out last night. First off, love how big they are, I have size 14 feet so having that big, meaty platform was awesome. These aren't the lightest or thinnest, but they are big and tough which makes them perfect for me.

I have been riding exclusively clipless (Shimano XT Trail) and don't feel like I gave up any efficiency climbing. I also felt way more comfortable descending, being able to shift my foot around a bit really helped me get my weight where I wanted it. Best of all though, I never had a panic attack because I was clipped in and about to tip over... just a quick dab of the foot and all is well.

mtbr member
    I think you missed the drift of this thread. Question is what is the best platform (i.e. NOT clipless) pedal.
    That's kind of what I was thinking.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phanis13 View Post
    what about crankbrothers eggbeaters ? These are not very nice but they are cheap and i think that perform well
    f........

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    I've been riding with Flybikes Ruben Graphite pedals for six months now. They are strong, light (360gm) and never bend, even when I'm standing --- and I am about 260. I admit they're not very good in the mud though.

And for $28, how can you possibly go wrong.?
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    I've been riding with Flybikes Ruben Graphite pedals for six months now. They are strong, light (360gm) and never bend, even when I'm standing --- and I am about 260. I admit they're not very good in the mud though.

And for $28, how can you possibly go wrong.?
    Umm cuz they look like sh$t compared to my E-thirteen pedals and prob really suck for downhilling

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012

No good

Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Umm cuz they look like sh$t compared to my E-thirteen pedals and prob really suck for downhilling
    Well its nice to know that your pedals, and probably your bike are so much better than mine. You are definitely my hero.

All I know is that I don't do DH and have no need for such a pedal...ohh, and I do have something that you don't... An extra $100 in my pocket..buh--wah---ha--ha!
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    Well its nice to know that your pedals, and probably your bike are so much better than mine. You are definitely my hero.

All I know is that I don't do DH and have no need for such a pedal...ohh, and I do have something that you don't... An extra $100 in my pocket..buh--wah---ha--ha!

You mad bro ? Last time i checked i could of swore this is the downhill/freeride section of the forums I think you might of missed the XC section as the topic is about Platforms in the DOWNHILL section. Have a nice day and thanks for the neg rep ! LOL at least i dont cry about it like a little wanker

By the way , $100 or $1,000 doesnt matter as long as your happy with what you got

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    It doesn't matter what section of the stupidly organized mtbr forum this thread was in. You say your ____ is good and my ______ looks like sh#t makes you come across like an elitist aszhat.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    You asked how can you go wrong and i simply stated where you went wrong for cheap pedals to be used on a downhill bike . I never said my stuff was better then yours , its just how YOU interrupt all of it . Have a goodnight man, nothing to see here, and stay on topic please ! Now back to some awesomeness pedals for DOWNHILL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oops sorry
    I did not mean eggbeaters but 50 50

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You asked how can you go wrong and i simply stated where you went wrong for cheap pedals to be used on a downhill bike . I never said my stuff was better then yours , its just how YOU interrupt all of it . Have a goodnight man, nothing to see here, and stay on topic please ! Now back to some awesomeness pedals for DOWNHILL

[[/IMG]
    Ummm... Guess you forgot about the part where you said his pedals look like $hit...

RideDirt
    Cry me a river man , im sorry , i forgot that we cant express our thoughts these days on a fuking forums ... Hey you might think my pedals look like **** but they function properly and get the job done, doesnt mean im going to get freaked out about it ..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cry me a river man , im sorry , i forgot that we cant express our thoughts these days on a fuking forums ... Hey you might think my pedals look like **** but they function properly and get the job done, doesnt mean im going to get freaked out about it ..
    Just pointing out your B.S., nothing more, nothing less. Express yourself however you want, just don't complain when somebody calls you out for being a jagoff.

RideDirt
    Thats cool , maybe you should be a mod or a " big brother " . Never complained

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Just pointing out your B.S., nothing more, nothing less. Express yourself however you want, just don't complain when somebody calls you out for being a jagoff.
    LMAO! It appears he is in need of some basic mtbr etiquette --- don't knock anyone else's bike, pedals, wheels, crank, etc. We all have different objectives and needs in biking, as well as different budgets. That $600 hardtail that you would sneer at may be on the wish list for some guy who has to ride an old hoop-D because he can't afford anything better.

We all love to bike ride. That's why we spend time on this forum... And if you love riding that 1995 Raleigh M80 with the first Rockshox fork ever made that has 3/4" of travel that you bought used for $125, then more power to you.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    so.... back to topic.

WHICH PLATFORM PEDALS ARE BEST FOR DOWNHILL / FREERIDE.

Not clipless, not xc/trail/am

No Clue Crew
    My Spank Spikes worked out well this morning

Almost seems a shame to put something no new and pristine on such a beat up bike

It was raining slightly out so we took it easy. Only had a couple pedals strikes, no lost pins but one looks possibly bent. We'll see if they hold up better than my cheaper HT pedals. I'm pretty sure they will but...

mtbr member
    Regarding the off topic issue, many riders, like me, see this thread as the main bible about flat pedals around MTBR. Even if I'm a xc rider, there's no better place to put questions, etc, about flats than this topic

mtbr member
    Regarding the off topic issue, many riders, like me, see this thread as the main bible about flat pedals around MTBR. Even if I'm a xc rider, there's no better place to put questions, etc, about flats than this topic
    That may be true, however all members should remember that this thread is in the DH/FR section. We will obviously have different opinions since the requirements of a downhill pedal is very different from what XC riders need.

Comments like, "you guys are spending too much on pedals," or ," my $10 pedals work fine for me," do not contribute to this thread at all.

We may need a reminder that this thread is a comparison between HIGH END pedals. We are not here to read about people opinions on how we spend to much on them.

My point is, please understand where you are in the forum and respect people anywhere. Also, if one person did not read through the majority of a thread, they have no right to accuse participants of their opinions.

mtbr member
    ^^ That's why each time I post here I say that I'm a xc/general mtb rider. And everyone should do the same

mtbr member
    ^^ That's why each time I post here I say that I'm a xc/general mtb rider. And everyone should do the same
    Thank you for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That may be true, however all members should remember that this thread is in the DH/FR section. We will obviously have different opinions since the requirements of a downhill pedal is very different from what XC riders need.

Comments like, "you guys are spending too much on pedals," or ," my $10 pedals work fine for me," does not contribute to this thread at all.

We may need a reminder that this thread is a comparison between HIGH END pedals. We are not here to read about people opinions on how we spend to much on them.

My point is, please understand where you are in the forum and respect people anywhere. Also, if one person did not read through the majority of a thread, they have no right to accuse participants of their opinions.
    I totally agree about this being the "go to" thread for discussion of platform pedals (though there is also a decent one in the all mountain forum right now as well).

That said, "Best" is a relative term and I've never seen anything suggesting this discussion is solely limited to "high end" pedals. I think discussing the relative merits of a $50 set of Kona Wah Wahs vs. a $100 set of Straitlines vs. a $200 set of Podiums is great and a very valuable aspect of this discussion.

mtbr member
    ^^ very true,

I should elaborate, that when I meant "high end" I meant pedals that were design specifically for purpose. This include pedals that were well thought out, researched, forged and tested. Best to me is not objective either, depends on the context: best bang for your buck, best quality, best price.

mtbr member
    That may be true, however all members should remember that this thread is in the DH/FR section.
    you're funny, read the first post
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    (though there is also a decent one in the all mountain forum right now as well).
    I missed that one

Thank you for that.
    Irony?

mtbr member
    No, lol, I'm trying to bring some civility back to the board.

mtbr member
    That's alright

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012

Comments like, "you guys are spending too much on pedals," or ," my $10 pedals work fine for me," do not contribute to this thread at all.

Good point... and while I do not view my pedals as "looking like sh#t" like that clown above suggested, this thread, with all the cool images and fabulous looking pedals got me looking at new pedals.

The result was that I just purchased a pair of Xpedo XMX11 pedals at Cambria that were on sale for $75. These pedals are a work of art and I just HAD to have them.

I am sure one of you guys can tell me if these pedals would be considered a DH pedal and if they are worthy of being pictured in this thread, as I will be using them for XC.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    Do you have flames on your bike too BIGABIGD ? But those pedals WILL make your riding way better then those POS pedals you had before

e*thirteen Spin Control Pedal and Steve Peat Signature Chainguide - Pinkbike

Good write up on PB about the E-thirteen stuff

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just got the new 2013 saint pedals and love them. Built really strong, full ball bearing, and are concave so your feet sink in themI j

meow, meow.
    I have to update on the status of Shimano AM40 shoe outsoles as used with Straitline AMPs. Outsole material is mostly intact except for the spots where the 3 front edge pins grip. These little spots are eaten through right to the hard midsole. O_O Anyway, shoes don't feel ruined.. yet.

Pedals themselves keep working, all pins are intact (they leave marks in concrete just as deep as in my calves), and I have not yet had to replace bushings.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    So what type of pedal would be considered a DH pedal compared to a XC pedal ? What differentiates the two?

For example, the pedals I posted above ,-- Xpedo XMX11 are not advertised as DH. what makes them DH or XC?
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

wuss
    In downhill they will accept a bit more weight for added strength. If a pedal is marketed as usable for DH you should be able to trust it will last, on the other hand if you are buying a light pedal without a mention of intended use you might be better off asking the manufacturer...

An example is comparing Blackspire Sub4 pedals to Point Ones, the latter cost more but are intended for FR/DH while sub4's are intended for AM, so Point One trusts their product is stronger. Both will be fine for XC use, but Blackspire does not want people to go crazy with their light pedals...

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    ^ excellent answer. Thanks. I'm guessing that a pedal with a pair weight of 390gm would not be considered beefy enough for DH.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

beater
    Used to be, but not anymore. My Canfield Crampon Ultimates are under 350 grams.

wuss
    I guess there's a lot of challenges in making flat pedals. People want them to be thin, light, strong enough to take hundreds of hits against stones and other obstacles, have good reliability and be easy to service etc. There are a lot of ways to improve on any one of those, and it could involve materials, tolerances, good ideas etc. However improving on one area might create new challenges in others.

There are reasons some pedals cost close to 200 and something which seems alike is double the price, however it's not sure everyone will notice it. I really wanted the point ones, but just could not get myself to pay three times more then what the saints cost... I still do understand why they cost more though

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    ^ yup. You get what you pay for, and pedals seem to be a good example of that... But if all you do is xc, imo paying $200 for pedals is probably overkill.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    ^ yup. You get what you pay for, and pedals seem to be a good example of that... But if all you do is xc, imo paying $200 for pedals is probably overkill.
    Exactly you get what you pay for, quality material and time = MONEY .. Some XC riders are concerned about weight so they want the lightest, which translates to higher quality product ..To you it seems overkill but to others it is quality and satisfaction

In downhill weight isnt much of a concern but build quality to handle the terrain , weather climates, foot feedback to the rider , durability , and longevity is the main purpose.Have you ever been to a real bike park that is lift assisted or shuttle provided ? If you have then you will realize one can easily trash a cheap pedal instantly in a rock garden or from a big drop.

So you get what you pay for , its only overkill if its not applied to your style of riding or need .

meow, meow.
    I think it's not very useful (except from buyer's perspective, of course) to compare the cost of Saints to the cost of Podiums, Straitlines and other high end CNC machined pedals. Shimano, because of its high volume production, has much better access to technologies than small brands do, which allows to reduce cost to where no small brand can touch it. That is, they can make better stuff for cheaper, once they figure out what "better" means for us riders.

wuss
    I'm a buyer

Also the Saints definately belong in this thread, as I believe they are among the best in what they are trying to be (which is not the same as point one are trying to be).

I'm sure Shimano could have made them thinner and lighter, but not at the price point they are aiming at which enables them to count on selling immense amounts. Selling so much will also allow them to spread out the R&D, fab line set up etc expenses more evenly allowing an even lower price. Shimano is not trying to be the best, they are trying to make a good pedal for a pretty cheap price...

However I think we are seeing better and better products in the price midrange, and that's great!

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Also the Saints definately belong in this thread, as I believe they are among the best in what they are trying to be.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    I'm sure Shimano could have made them thinner and lighter, but not at the price point they are aiming at which enables them to count on selling immense amounts.
    I suspect this is because thinner and lighter pedals that are just as strong, reliable and comfortable would require bearings so expensive that the cost would be through the roof for any scale manufacturer.

mtbr member
    the saints are in this thread, just not in the first post. I posted my thoughts of mine here and there.

Also, the Saint MX80 are cheap because they are not cold forged or CNC'd. So they take lest time and less wasted aluminum to make. With CNC machined pieces, the manufacture must account for the wasted useless metal that's shaved off, so pedal design is pretty crucial.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My Specialized Lo Promag pedals two and half years of pedal strikes and scuffing later and they are still going strong.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 369