Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    gretch: easy. New instructions may have been made from user feedback, it happens.

murrdogg: teflon tape, this is like household plumbing. Loctite does the job. The only drawback is loctite should be left to set. Changing out clipless to platforms and vice versa may be a nuisance.
    Yes thanks, I'm aware of what it is. I'm just passing off information from my lbs who deal alot with straitline and have sold/installed many sets of the amps.

mtbr member
    gretch: easy. New instructions may have been made from user feedback, it happens.

murrdogg: teflon tape, this is like household plumbing. Loctite does the job. The only drawback is loctite should be left to set. Changing out clipless to platforms and vice versa may be a nuisance.
    Please answer the question. What is so different about those threads vs any other?
    Are threads not cut properly (wrong angle on cutting tool or something)? There has to be a reason for this oddity.

You can buy cheap pedals that don't suffer this fate. Seem ridiculous for a high end component.

In my eyes, loctite is just a band-aid.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just installed a $40 pair of nylon pedals (Nukeproof Electrons) on my Uzzi. They threaded on much better than the Straitline Amps with a bit of grease (as every pedal should be installed). I don't suspect that these "cheap" pedals will be falling off anytime soon. Is the issue the threading on the spindles with the Amps? Probably, but what do I know. I only use products not engineer them. And I don't pay blind homage to anyone's products no matter how blingastic they look... performance is everything.
    Last edited by gretch; 01-04-2012 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Please answer the question. What is so different about those threads vs any other?
    Are threads not cut properly (wrong angle on cutting tool or something)? There has to be a reason for this oddity.

You can buy cheap pedals that don't suffer this fate. Seem ridiculous for a high end component.

In my eyes, loctite is just a band-aid.
    I've heard that the threads are cut too deep.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is the consensus as to the best thin platform pedal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    no consensus. Everybody loves thin, and few have the money to afford redundant sets of super high end pedals. If you get the canfields, the point ones, or the spanks, chances are, you will be incredibly pleased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42 View Post
    no consensus. Everybody loves thin, and few have the money to afford redundant sets of super high end pedals. If you get the canfields, the point ones, or the spanks, chances are, you will be incredibly pleased.
    I totally agree. Like so many high end things, it eventually just comes down to personal preference.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

RideDirt
    Im waiting for the pedals from E-Thirteen to be released shortly , things looks pretty bad8ss ! and i love the pin layout on them too.

mtbr member
    Point1

9 lives
    I have NRGs on my dh and am bikes for the last 3 years (I ride both bikes all year long) They are low profile Freeride Pedal Description from the web page:extruded from 6061 aluminum. CNC and anodized 17mm body has ten replaceable grip pins for ultimate traction. CNC’d chromoly axle held tight with two sealed bearings and one DU bushing. Weight: 440 grams/pr. MSRP: $80/pr Black, $90/pr for colors

Attachment 665652

Attachment 665653

NRG Enterprises - Products
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 05-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    NRG has a new pedal coming out shortly (February?) called the Space Junk... its a clone of the HT AE-01 pedal... very thin and light at about 315 grams claimed weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I have NRGs on my dh and am bikes for the last 3 years (I ride both bikes all year long) They are low profile Freeride Pedal Description from the web page:extruded from 6061 aluminum. CNC and anodized 17mm body has ten replaceable grip pins for ultimate traction. CNC’d chromoly axle held tight with two sealed bearings and one DU bushing. Weight: 440 grams/pr. MSRP: $80/pr Black, $90/pr for colors

Attachment 665652

NRG Enterprises - Products
    i loved the grip on the slabalanche nrg pedal (the top pic)....however, after twice catching the corner and bending my crank arms and pedal spindel i've moved on...obviously im not blaming it on the pedal 100%...but i think it would have helped with a less catch friendly design.

mtbr member
    @michael1: No consensus. Go through 13 pages and you'll find a pedal for everyone's tastes.

@Jason B: Who do you think I am, Straitline? LOL. These were my first set of pedals from Straitline.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 820K views

mtbr member
    Picked up some HT AN01 Nano series pedals off ebay for 50 bucks to replace a pair of Kona Wah Wahs on my brother's bike. These are about 20g lighter too, managed to weigh both, and ended up replacing the stock stainless pins with some slightly longer pins and much better in black too lol.

HT Components Pedal | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ended up replacing the pins (same size as on the HT) on my Forte Convert pedals (another HT rebrand) and hopefully these will have just the right amount of grip with my Vans. The stock pins were great, until it got muddy.

Next pedal purchase will be the On-One Thinnys as soon as they release (rebranded HT EVO AE01) as I can't really justify spending more than $50-100 on pedals these days, especially after purchasing a pair of Point1 Podiums for $150 in raw finish and feeling a bit disappointed in my purchase. They had quite a bit of resistance in spinning (read about it online but expected it to be less), some of the pin threads looked like they could be chased before inserting the pins, and the raw finish was "too raw" in a sense, like it could have had one more stage of deburring to smooth out some of the edges.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Next pedal purchase will be the On-One Thinnys as soon as they release (rebranded HT EVO AE01) as I can't really justify spending more than $50-100 on pedals these days, especially after purchasing a pair of Point1 Podiums for $150 in raw finish and feeling a bit disappointed in my purchase. They had quite a bit of resistance in spinning (read about it online but expected it to be less), some of the pin threads looked like they could be chased before inserting the pins, and the raw finish was "too raw" in a sense, like it could have had one more stage of deburring to smooth out some of the edges.

The resistance is meant to be that way.

» Video: Machining a Point One Racing Podium Pedal - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

Point One Podium Pedal Reviews

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I spoke with someone with Point One recently and they said that the new pedals have slightly less tight tolerances in the seals, which will speed up the break in period and have less resistance.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links.

I was fully aware of the resistance before dropping the money but expected things to be smoother. And they may be fine on DH-oriented bikes, but for me, in the Midwest, I rarely point my bike down and would appreciate something smoother out of the box that didn't require such a long break-in period. Sold them, broke even, no biggie, and onto the next.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    [QUOTE=eurospek;8932605]Picked up some HT AN01 Nano series pedals off ebay for 50 bucks to replace a pair of Kona Wah Wahs on my brother's bike. These are about 20g lighter too, managed to weigh both, and ended up replacing the stock stainless pins with some slightly longer pins and much better in black too lol.

I took my kona Wah Wahs and retapped the threads for Straitline pins......awesome.
    20minutes well spent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have Crank Bros Crampons and Point One Podiums both; bought both sets new same time...

They're both quite nice, but I prefer the Crampons. They feel a bit slimmer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post

I took my kona Wah Wahs and retapped the threads for Straitline pins......awesome.
    20minutes well spent.
    A 10-pc bag of Straitline pins is like $10+ online. I bought a bag of longer set screws (100-pcs) for $5 online. Much more cost effective.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    I have Crank Bros Crampons and Point One Podiums both; bought both sets new same time...

They're both quite nice, but I prefer the Crampons. They feel a bit slimmer.
    I think you're looking for Canfield Bros.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well they're definitely brothers...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Well they're definitely brothers...
    Yessir they are. I just picked up a pair of Point1 Podiums over the Canfield Crampons. Maybe I'll try out the Canfields later.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A 10-pc bag of Straitline pins is like $10+ online. I bought a bag of longer set screws (100-pcs) for $5 online. Much more cost effective.
    Am i able to swap out the pins in my DMR V8 pedals for Straightline style ones? Are the thread diameters standard across pedals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD View Post
    Am i able to swap out the pins in my DMR V8 pedals for Straightline style ones? Are the thread diameters standard across pedals?
    Not from my experience. Both HT pedals I have and the Kona Wah Wah had different sized thread diameters. The Konas were small, M3 size, where as the HT are M4.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not from my experience. Both HT pedals I have and the Kona Wah Wah had different sized thread diameters. The Konas were small, M3 size, where as the HT are M4.
    Awesome, thanks.

mtbr member
    So, do you have much time on the Straitlines yet? Thoughts? I'm sporting Size 13's, so not a whole lot bigger than your 12's. I just picked up a set of the Performance Forte Convert pedals to fill the gap left by some other pedals that failed prematurely. The Forte's are good, but I like some of the features of the AMP's for the rocky desert southwest terrain I ride (and I still have a pedal-less bike in the garage to buy for! ).

Comparison of both pedals, side by side. No weights, but the machining and finish on the Straitlines are on point

Both pedals have about the same preload, Straitlines are slightly smaller, but by no means too small for my size 12's. Note the lack of the Point One Podium hump near the crankarm of the pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just got a pair of the HT AE01T pedals. Light, nice wide platform, super grippy, good pin layout, smooth spinning, super thin. Felt really good on the bike, and really nice in the corners. Only drawback, was on one of the climbs on my ride I had some squeaking. Nothing major, just vaguely annoying. Was wearing 5.10 impacts and I think it was the sole of the shoe contacting the little outboard bearing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Where did you find them?? Have been looking for a while for those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ebay.
    Last edited by 8664; 01-29-2012 at 09:20 AM.

ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The path bike shop has them.
    The Path Bike Shop - New Arrivals

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone have an idea when the revised Canfield crampons will be released?

After a set of ultra thins but am finding it hard to choose and living in remote australia makes it even harder. Never see anything in person before purchasing.

Ta
    Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Anyone have an idea when the revised Canfield crampons will be released?

After a set of ultra thins but am finding it hard to choose and living in remote australia makes it even harder. Never see anything in person before purchasing.

Ta
    Matt
    Matt,
    The new Crampon Ultimate's and Ultimate Mag's are coming in Mid May. We are really excited- We have been prototyping the new pedal and bushings for 2 years now.
    The Weights are down to 320g and 280g (mag). Patents are filed and the pedal is now down to 10mm at the thick spot-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Matt,
    The new Crampon Ultimate's and Ultimate Mag's are coming in Mid May. We are really excited- We have been prototyping the new pedal and bushings for 2 years now.
    The Weights are down to 320g and 280g (mag). Patents are filed and the pedal is now down to 10mm at the thick spot-
    Nice, sounds like you guys nailed it. Whats the length and width of the pedal?

mtbr member
    Matt,
    Wow, that's impressive.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    FYI for anyone else interested in the Straitline AMPs, I did a short write-up of my initial impressions in this post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Matt,
    I am so fully on board as long as there is no squeaking noise. They sound awesome. All the thin pedals I've tried have some sort of bearing issue, excessive drag, or annoying squeaking sound when pedaling. Glad to hear you are doing some rigorous testing before releasing them.

mtbr member
    Havent bothered to read every single post in this thread but in case it hasnt been mentioned; blackspire big slim is a high performer at a low price, they look awesome in black, 92x92mm plattform, servicable design, weight 418grams, have used them one season now mostly for all-mountain and they are great, love this bang-for-the-buck pedal
    http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5952/292238/0/0

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New HOPE pedals

Not sure if this is a repost, but just came across these on the interwebz. Looking close to production.

Last edited by gretch; 02-02-2012 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Those Hopes are pretty. I kind of like the green.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Matt,
    Thanks for the first hand info! Will hang out on the plastic crap I have at the moment until the Ultimates become available in May = can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have to say I really miss the feel of my Point One Podiums. They were bar none the best feeling pedal I have used in terms of the shoe/pedal interface. I had so many bearing/play/noise/drag issues they just became a hassle.
    Does anybody know if the newer generations fixed the problems? I remember hearing they were adjusting the tolerances or something. I would be so back on board. I have ho-ing around with different pedals, but I just can't get the sweetness that I had with the Point-One's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Paid Spam

Sold.
    Last edited by capslayer; 02-10-2012 at 06:15 AM.

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So after nearly 3 months of waiting, I finally get the Da Bomb Bare Bones pedals that I ordered from CRC.
    They weigh 338 grams for the pair according to my scale. The platform is about the same size as the Crampons and they are thinner in the center but slightly thicker a the edges. Just got them today so not sure how they ride yet. Won't be able to ride till next week.

Also, update on the Crampons. A while back I decided to try and sell them but decided to keep them after all. I did 2 things and the pedals barely squeak now while I'm riding so I'm much happier with them.
    The first thing I did was to take everything apart and clean out the bushing and grease with hi-temp wheel bearing grease.
    The second thing I did was I noticed in some pictures that you can thread the studs in from the reverse side by inserting your allen wrench through the pedal(the hole is drilled all the way through but there is a step so the stud can only go in so far). Threading the studs in this way gives maybe an extra millimeter of height. I'm also hoping that by threading in this way, if I ever shear off a stud I would still be able to back out the stud without drilling or anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Funny about threading the Crampons... I wondered what the "proper" method of threading the spikes was.

I find that the longer, pointy side out is actually a bit less likely to chew up my calves. The "flat" side is flat, but also sharper...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am just flat out loving my DMR Vaults more and more. Removed the pins close to the axle, and they feel even better and gripier. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    after using the canfield crampons, twenty6 prerunners, and point 1 racing pedals my favorite are the point 1s with the twenty6 a close second. i didn't like the canfields very much because I could feel the piece down the middle where the axle is under my foot so I never felt as comfortable on them. the point 1s have held up the best out of all three, have great grip, and excellent clearance. the twenty6 have the best grip but aren't quite as tuff. I like the twenty6 pins a lot, even know they break easily. I've never had to drill, tap, or cut one. With the point 1s and canfield you some times have to cut the top off or drill a pin out if it is really messed up or bent. I'd love to see point 1 switch to top loading pins similar to twenty6.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by downplease View Post
    after using the canfield crampons, twenty6 prerunners, and point 1 racing pedals my favorite are the point 1s with the twenty6 a close second. i didn't like the canfields very much because I could feel the piece down the middle where the axle is under my foot so I never felt as comfortable on them. the point 1s have held up the best out of all three, have great grip, and excellent clearance. the twenty6 have the best grip but aren't quite as tuff. I like the twenty6 pins a lot, even know they break easily. I've never had to drill, tap, or cut one. With the point 1s and canfield you some times have to cut the top off or drill a pin out if it is really messed up or bent. I'd love to see point 1 switch to top loading pins similar to twenty6.
    that is some solid feedback and perspective right there.

thanks for chiming in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    that is some solid feedback and perspective right there.
    I agree. It makes me feel better that I went with the Point 1's as I have yet to get out on them.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast