Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast
    metrotuned WoS

Cool-blue Rhythm Platform Adapters for Clipless

@his dudeness: Below are pix of CB platform adapters that will qualify your impious statement. However, twisting the platform adapters disengages them, so they're for nothing more than "test rides" and grocery store quick runs.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crank_bros_pedal_adapters.jpg

Name:  winwood-decksters.jpg
Views: 4923
Size:  10.1 KB

The Winwood Decksters require a set of cleats that customer provides which makes them expensive and a poor value. If you're in that direction, you may just go top shelf with White Industries pedal insert cranks with the QR so you can pop in different pedals minus a wrench or allen key.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-wi_quick-release.jpg

Now, back to the original topic "platform pedal shootout, the best flat is", please.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    About 3 weeks ago I had a bad experience with my vp-001 pedals. Long story short, they didn't last a weekend of racing so I wrote a few reviews about them and I chocked it up as a loss. Well a few weeks later I got a pm from a VP rep stating he was a sorry I had a bad experience with the pedals and was gonna send me out a few replacement sets of different pedals. I was amazed by this because I didn't even contact vp directly.

Last week I got a set of vp-00x pedals delivered to my door. Here they are compared to the vp-001.

They are almost the same pedal except with a solid axle going all the way through them. This makes them stronger but as a result a tiny bit heavier than the vp-001. The weight is hardly noticeable by feel. Another thing you'll notice is where the axle connects to the cranks is smaller effectively bringing the pedal closer to the crank arms. It wasn't a problem for me, but riders that like larger and wider platforms might not like this.

After trying them today my opinion on them is they grip very well and felt good under my feet. I do like their low profile and will probably use them on my xc hardtail. Imo these pedals would be good for light trail riding but not dh or freeriding. The rep advised me of this as well. Can't wait to get the other pedals, I give props to VP for listening and providing excellent customer service. I will post pics of the other pedals when I get them.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If that rep is reading this, I still have the new-in-box VP-001s that I posted about back here, before we all discovered how long they (don't/won't) last...
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki
    About 3 weeks ago I had a bad experience with my vp-001 pedals. Long story short, they didn't last a weekend of racing so I wrote a few reviews about them and I chocked it up as a loss. Well a few weeks later I got a pm from a VP rep stating he was a sorry I had a bad experience with the pedals and was gonna send me out a few replacement sets of different pedals. I was amazed by this because I didn't even contact vp directly.

Last week I got a set of vp-00x pedals delivered to my door. Here they are compared to the vp-001.

They are almost the same pedal except with a solid axle going all the way through them. This makes them stronger but as a result a tiny bit heavier than the vp-001. The weight is hardly noticeable by feel. Another thing you'll notice is where the axle connects to the cranks is smaller effectively bringing the pedal closer to the crank arms. It wasn't a problem for me, but riders that like larger and wider platforms might not like this.

After trying them today my opinion on them is they grip very well and felt good under my feet. I do like their low profile and will probably use them on my xc hardtail. Imo these pedals would be good for light trail riding but not dh or freeriding. The rep advised me of this as well. Can't wait to get the other pedals, I give props to VP for listening and providing excellent customer service. I will post pics of the other pedals when I get them.
    proof that the internet works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    the dark cycle arachnids are sick!! I love them on my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-196540_10100151274945673_8230332_47799354_4745338_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

metrotuned WoS

Bullseye BMX Pedals

Blue anodized Bullseye pedals with a holy batload of pins across the platform.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-bullseye-bmx-pedals-holy-pins.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

metrotuned WoS

Ultra Mag CNC Superstar

Superstar pedals, with cutouts and colored pins. Who has the specs on pedal pins?! Are all threaded holes created equal and are pins interchangeable? Which pin system, grub screw, system is the preferred or best?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-pedals-ultra-mag-cnc-superstar.jpg  

mtbr member

Good job!

Got a pair of VP-59's, a much stronger pedal than the 001's and haven't heard any of my buddies having problems with them. Great pedal so far!

metrotuned WoS
    @TheRifleman, the 5 pins are insufficient and the design process explained by VP is something that just doesn't happen in the real world. e.g. You don't want your foot to slip on a jump, and then reposition after. Let's take it back to the OT and present candidates for best platform pedals ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monkei
    Let me know if you figure out a solution for a little better freespin on the prerunners. Probably my only gripe with 'em, I've learnde to deal with it on the climbs.

On a side note, they perform awesome in the wet!! Spent all day today in the rain and mud going though the soupy to running creeks.

An update: I did disassemble the pedals and relube the bushing with Manitou M-Prep to try to free-up the spin a bit. Sorry to say it didn't make a significant difference; the pedals still turned very stiffly. It was my only gripe too, but it was significant enough that I ended up selling them. Too bad, as they were perfect in just about every other way, but super-thin isn't worth it to me if the pedals spin on relatively high-friction bushings.

brownpow! (?)
    According to the guy I spoke with at Twenty6, the drag is mostly due to the 4 o-rings. I've learned to deal with the friction; I really like the platform, machinework, look, and grip on downhill runs.

Just won an auction for a set of their older model with the Ti spindles, the Rallye (It'll be going on a 700c rigid/hardtail build):
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Hard to reply to your post without sounding like a flame, but here goes....

Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    @TheRifleman, the 5 pins are insufficient and the design process explained by VP is something that just doesn't happen in the real world. e.g. You don't want your foot to slip on a jump, and then reposition after. Let's take it back to the OT and present candidates for best platform pedals ;-)
    Can we honestly talk about the perfect pedal without also talking about shoes, type of riding being done, ride style, experience level, fitness level, etc.? Maybe you can, thinking that all you need is a gazillion studs in your flats to keep your foot on the pedal but in all my years of riding I've not had much of an issue keeping my feet on a pedal of any kind. I have a hard time keeping my tires on the ground, that's about it!

The FIVE pins on my VP-59 (have you used these pedals?) and 510's stick together just fine and I do a lot of freeride, DJ and trails. Hell sometimes I think there's glue on my shoes! I don't have this "real world" issue you speak of so I just came in here to present the OP with MY experience and it's that the VP-59 is a killer pedal in my experience with them in the "real world". ymmv

peace

need for speed
    I have been a long time DX fan but have used Burtecs Penthouse MK11s and now for the last few years MK111s which have a lower profile!

These are not the cheapest pedal around but I think Twenty 6s Point Ones etc would be as if not more expensive!

The key benefits for me have been super reliability, and feel, feel for me is solidity, I feel like I'm still on my moto, they're super grippy, handle all seasons,wet and dry, rocks and mud, for me its a true platform!

If I was to change Ive long liked what Point One do its different but for me and my huge width/girth of foot its hard for me to change to something else when I have no reason for change, the weight is not a concern to me, the secure feel stiffness and knowing my foot is well protected and will stay on no matter what, everything I need in a pedal this one covers and covers very well for me.

Sometimes the grip is too much, but you adapt, I use 5:10s wouldn't use anything else either!

Servicing, super easy to do, I strip them re grease a few times a year, current ones only done 2-3 times over last 2 seasons, I haven't had to replace anything pins either they are allen key from the opposite side, still looking great 2, just such an easy pedal to live with. my all time pedal pick, simple no gimmicks no marketing just works.

I have DXs but never use em, and have ridden quite a few brands mentioned here, surprised Burgtecs don't come up a bit more, but then its a UK brand and works well for UK conditions, says it all really, also very popular with WC riders not riding sponsored brands, I know one or too an ex BT rider who would rather be riding these than say 50/50s

http://www.burgtec.co.uk/products/pe...nthouse-flats/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Digipenguin
    Xpedo FaceOff XM13

Stupid grippy with just skate shoes. Only had them 2 weeks so can't speak to strength.

Notice the pins are focused on the axle where your weight is centered.
    They don't look that grippy to me. Pins are too shallow and wide. They also look kinda flmsy, the plates seem awfully thin. I wouldn't want to have a crash with them pedals.

Now with More Wood
    189 replies and we still haven't answered which is the best flat pedal???

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    189 replies and we still haven't answered which is the best flat pedal???
    As you can tell by the thread, there is no best.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11
    As you can tell by the thread, there is no best.
    Say it ain't so!!!???

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Say it ain't so!!!???

lol, sorry to be a downer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    Superstar pedals, with cutouts and colored pins. Who has the specs on pedal pins?! Are all threaded holes created equal and are pins interchangeable? Which pin system, grub screw, system is the preferred or best?
    I've been running a pair of these ^^^ HT-made "Superstar Ultra-Mag CNC" pedals on my AM & DH bike for a while now (Black with gold pins FYI, and steel axle... but at only 310g/pair I see little point in going the expensive Ti axles...though it does bring the weight to an insane 260g/pair!!).

Very light, and really well made. Slightly concavity to its shape which I find nice, and pretty thin for extra clearance. Grip wise, initially they didn't have as much insane grip as I was used to (compared to my NS Legeaters on my street bike) but now that the pins have some wear on top of them they actually grip better, as they are sharper (if that makes sense). I also like the fact that these pins are stronger than the hollow hex threaded-pins, and the bolt head itself stays well intact for later replacement if needed, unlike the hollow hex type pins which get full of crud, deform, and generally seem to get pulled out a lot easier.

I've smashed these Ultra Mag CNC pedals many times on rocks and the like, without issue (apart from a loss of some colour of course). I will be buying these again - the weight/price and performance/price is brilliant, let alone all the different colour combo's you can chose from.

Cheers,

Come at me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by starship303
    I've been running a pair of these ^^^ HT-made "Superstar Ultra-Mag CNC" pedals on my AM & DH bike for a while now (Black with gold pins FYI, and steel axle... but at only 310g/pair I see little point in going the expensive Ti axles...though it does bring the weight to an insane 260g/pair!!).

Very light, and really well made. Slightly concavity to its shape which I find nice, and pretty thin for extra clearance. Grip wise, initially they didn't have as much insane grip as I was used to (compared to my NS Legeaters on my street bike) but now that the pins have some wear on top of them they actually grip better, as they are sharper (if that makes sense). I also like the fact that these pins are stronger than the hollow hex threaded-pins, and the bolt head itself stays well intact for later replacement if needed, unlike the hollow hex type pins which get full of crud, deform, and generally seem to get pulled out a lot easier.

I've smashed these Ultra Mag CNC pedals many times on rocks and the like, without issue (apart from a loss of some colour of course). I will be buying these again - the weight/price and performance/price is brilliant, let alone all the different colour combo's you can chose from.

Cheers,

Price, and place to purchase them (anywhere aside from superstar themselves, prefer not ordering from across seas)? 260g/pair for the ti spindle is unreal.

mtbr member
    Well Superstar branded stuff is only available direct from them at http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk. From my experience their postage was good, i had no issues buying them from the other side of the world.

Interestingly, unlike the more common design available under lots of different names (still a great pedal it has to be said) I've actually not seen this slightly different, lighter Ultra Mag version labelled anything else other than Superstar. Maybe search for HT pedals and see what you get?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So creeped this thread for 30 minutes now and all I know is my head hurts.

I think I've narrowed it down to straitline(s), sunline v one(s), or the budget minded sun ringle zuzu(s)? Haven't seen them mentioned to much except in the first page, but no bad reviews at least thats I saw. Am I missing some weak points on either? Does the V One's hold more mud with all that platform?

has anybody reviewed the zuzu(s) did I over look them?

Oh and HT is the restamper or the original? I feel lost..... and scared. I really don't want to regret my first platform pedal decision. haha

thanks!

mtbr member
    I just ordered the Nuke Proof Neutron Alloy-Ti Pedal 2011 - Silver - Alloy - Ti Axle. So I'm pretty ripped to try them out.

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    I'm liking my Gravity Light Pedals
    **** Looking for a Sram 9.0SL rear hub *****

Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast