Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Point 1 Podium's in RED ANO

A bit flashy, red anodized Point One Podium's on Saint Crankset. Better be real fast on the bike with this setup! (via Eurospek).

Also:::: I'm in the market for pedals, for my secondary beater scraper town ss mountain bike; looking at this guide helps, I have a hundred bucks, so I'll report back with best platform pedal under $100!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-point-one-podium-red.jpg  

Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    A bit flashy, red anodized Point One Podium's on Saint Crankset. Better be real fast on the bike with this setup! (via Eurospek).

Also:::: I'm in the market for pedals, for my secondary beater scraper town ss mountain bike; looking at this guide helps, I have a hundred bucks, so I'll report back with best platform pedal under $100!
    Perhaps not THE BEST, but the (old news) Answer Rove FR pedals are on sale at Pricepoint for $67. Best execution of the ubiquitous HT AN pedal style that I have seen. I just ordered some plastic Nanos, so I will report on how those hold up just as soon as they complete the journey over from China to trail.

On a side note, the new crampons look dope. Still waiting on the Specialized pedals to materialize, though...
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    ^ What type of pin style would you call those that come on the Answer pedal? Can one buy them in longer lengths?

Usually it's either set screws (or grub screws) or socket cap screws, both used with an allen wrench, but the screw on the Answer looks to be the safest bet to replace down the line.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ What type of pin style would you call those that come on the Answer pedal? Can one buy them in longer lengths?

Usually it's either set screws (or grub screws) or socket cap screws, both used with an allen wrench, but the screw on the Answer looks to be the safest bet to replace down the line.
    They look about like the pins Straitline uses (and Deity on the Decoy LTD's).
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    They look about like the pins Straitline uses (and Deity on the Decoy LTD's).
    Was just on Deity's site and you're correct, but still have no proper name for this type of hardware or if it's possible to upgrade to longer pins as well?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    I have a set of these Black Ops Torqlite pedals on the way! Around 400g with a wide platform for my size 12s... Hopefully a good match to my 5-10s!Pedals Black Ops Torqlite Ul Cnc Blue
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

Sick setup....just received my red Guidering in the mail, will match it up with a Saint crank, white MRP G2, and red Straitline pedals tomorrow!

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Syncros Stainless Mental w/ replacable pins RE-UP

@eurospek, diggin' that pic of the dmrbikes posted. The pin placement is spot on, and the shape is clean. I dig it.

@socalmx: those blackops are great value pedals - I saw those too, like all Origin 8/Black ops products, appear to copy something by a brand name, in this case the recently released Atomlab Pimplite WRX's, except the spindles differ in size and shape - the Atomlabs spindles flare towards the threads and appear beefier, the one thing I watch out for are weak looking spindles. Heat treated crmo spindles are preferred. Shearing/breaking a pedal spindles is something you want to avoid, seriously! Saving weight on a pedal spindle is a no no. I appreciate the US made titanium spindles offered for XTR and Eggbeater pedals, but the rider weight limits are something that are not tested scientifically, but by the riders using them - ouch.

I found the platform pedals under $100, an oldie but goodie as featured in the first post of this thread, the Syncros Mental - not lightweight, but heavyweight. Mentals come in variations - the Crux, Meathook, Alloy Mental, Stainless mental. Also, I've seen stainless versions with the pins molded into the pedal body (as originally reviewed in first post), and others with the pins that are replaceable. I just picked up the latter, with the replaceable pins - stainless bodies, steel spindles, replaceable pins, quad bearings, curved foot bed, rotation control, and lifetime warranty on pedal bodies, 800g (1.7lbs)!!!

Check out the dudes leg in the pinkbike thread after slipping off his Mentals: Syncros Pedals - Pinkbike.com Forum

Pic attached!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-syncros-mental-crmo.jpg  

mtbr member
    800g on a set of pedals is just silly! I did look at the Atomlabs but cant get that version in blue! Im 215Lbs geared so hoping these hold up! Not many boulders where I ride, in fact I cant remember ever slamming my pedal hard on a rock!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just ordered a pair of Straitline AMP pedals to replace my 520g Straitline Defacto pedals!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Just ordered a pair of Straitline AMP pedals to replace my 520g Straitline Defacto pedals!
    Even at 520g, Straitline Defactos's still rock. Can't see a reason to swap them out!
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    I was turned away from the AMP due to the smaller size, I wear a 12 but still may consider them in the future, nice lookin pedal! Please post a pic mounted and give a report! I just mounted up my Black Ops (pictured above) and will be riding them today. I am pleased with the LARGE platform! Will see soon how they hold up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just got rid of my AMPs after getting tired of the seal drag and the fact that they will back out of crankarms due to the drag... many occurences of this have been noted. Great way to f*ck your cranks in a hurry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I was turned away from the AMP due to the smaller size, I wear a 12 but still may consider them in the future, nice lookin pedal! Please post a pic mounted and give a report! I just mounted up my Black Ops (pictured above) and will be riding them today. I am pleased with the LARGE platform! Will see soon how they hold up!
    I wear size 9.5 so I doubt I'll have a problem with them.

I went with the black AMP pedals so they will go great with my black/white X.O crank!

Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    I just got rid of my AMPs after getting tired of the seal drag and the fact that they will back out of crankarms due to the drag... many occurences of this have been noted. Great way to f*ck your cranks in a hurry.
    The AMP uses the same seals and I assume the same axle as the Defacto pedals. Never had a problem with the drag backing the pedals out. I've had great experience with the Defacto and never notice the drag while actually pedaling, and it's great that it has no unnecessary pedal spin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I wear size 9.5 so I doubt I'll have a problem with them.

I went with the black AMP pedals so they will go great with my black/white X.O crank!

The AMP uses the same seals and I assume the same axle as the Defacto pedals. Never had a problem with the drag backing the pedals out. I've had great experience with the Defacto and never notice the drag while actually pedaling, and it's great that it has no unnecessary pedal spin.
    Hey, if they work for you great, I wasn't thrilled with their performance... getting some Point Ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey, if they work for you great, I wasn't thrilled with their performance... getting some Point Ones.
    Point One Podiums have drag as well and a few people had problems with the platform completely sliding off the axle.

Nice looking pedal none the less, but quite pricey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Crap, just missed out on a deal at Fanatik for the Podiums. They were being offered at $120... only a few pairs available. In the meantime I have some on order from CRC. Also going to try the Nukeproof Electron plastic pedal as an option for my AM riding days and keep the Podiums fresh for DH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just got my Straitline AMP in today. Beautiful pedal and much more compact from the De Facto model.

Comes in at 308g without the HEX pins and 332g with the HEX pins.

Comparison shots against the De Facto model that comes in at 520g with the HEX pins:

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that! The Amps dont look terribly smaller like I thought! Have you mounted em up yet and got a foot on em? Review!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for posting that! The Amps dont look terribly smaller like I thought! Have you mounted em up yet and got a foot on em? Review!!!
    Waiting on my frame to arrive...hopefully in 2 weeks it will arrive!

Another money shot:

mtbr member
    TWO WEEKS! Ugh... J/K, sucks for you! What size shoe do you wear?

mtbr member

Wink Point One Podium & Straitline AMP flats platform pedal

Comparison of both pedals, side by side. No weights, but the machining and finish on the Straitlines are on point

Both pedals have about the same preload, Straitlines are slightly smaller, but by no means too small for my size 12's. Note the lack of the Point One Podium hump near the crankarm of the pedal.

mtbr member
    ^ Those do look nice. Are they as stiff to spin as the Podiums?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    He said both pedals have about the same preload! Yea, i like the fact that it deosnt have that hump! Good to hear a vote of confidence from someone else with size 12s!!! Thinking AMPs or Spike Spanks for an alternate!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    my beasts, updatet with ti axle from a dead neutron mag pedal!
    best pedal for big feet.. 18mm tick. 380gr alu boddy with (ti) axle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-img_0794.jpg  

ride.

mtbr member
    I like the HT, cant beat the pricing! Wish they were a little bigger!

mtbr member
    If you're using the AMP pedals, be sure to use loctite and let set, ... I only used phil grease and on a shakedown ride, found the pedals unthreading themselves!!! This, after hucking off a jump and hearing a loud cracking noise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you're using the AMP pedals, be sure to use loctite and let set, ... I only used phil grease and on a shakedown ride, found the pedals unthreading themselves!!! This, after hucking off a jump and hearing a loud cracking noise.
    I have heard from a few riders now of the same issue with the AMPs (myself included). In my opinion there is no way you should be required to loctite your pedals. Been there done that, no thanks.

mtbr member
    @gretch, seriously! Being paranoid about breaking a spindle is a concern, but having a pedal unthread itself while riding is another concern that just shouldn't exist!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dude, let me know when you lose your pedal and strip out your crankarm threads. Seen it happen in person. Fun times. Know any other pedals that unthread on their own?

mtbr member
    Arent the crankarms reverse threaded for a reason? Seems it would be kinda hard for a pedal to unthread itself!

mtbr member
    How bout using teflon tape instead of loctite?... and pedals are not suppose to unthread. None of the pedals I've used have unthreaded themselves and I didn't use any loctite or tape on em. Lopro mags, blackspire sub4, Vp-001s, wellgo's, tiogas, azonic aframe, and my recent addition HT ae-01s have all stayed put. Maybe it was a bad batch of amps, either way it sounds strange.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I tried to contact Straitline to get their take on it, but they never responded to my inquiries. If I was heaping praise on a product you can guarantee a response, but not in this case.

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Those look good. I was considering the DA Bomb Bare Bones (another HT AE01 rebranded) for just over $100, but not available until mid February. Are these available from On-One's website? Any more details?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Those On One's look very nice. I wanted AE01 or some close variant but decided I could not wait for general availability to be better in the US. It boiled down to Straitline AMP vs Spank Spike. Even though the AMPs are lighter, overall I preferred the design of the Spike. Just installed them today on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and will hopefully test them out Monday.

On my AM bike I have been running the re-branded HTs sold by Performance. They are cheap enough, work great and have held up well in abusive AZ riding conditions, but I do want something thinner to maybe reduce pedal strikes but more importantly for better control. Just couldn't bring myself to spend Point One Podium prices, as nice as those pedals are.

mtbr member
    I like the On-ones too but THINNY? Come on now, couldnt come up with a better name than that? AND THEY DONT COME IN BLUE!!!

mtbr member
    I like the On-ones too but THINNY? Come on now, couldnt come up with a better name than that? AND THEY DONT COME IN BLUE!!!
    I would've named them On-One Wafers.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    monstertiki, no, they recommend loctite in instructions, I used it and the pedals have stayed put since! ... also, be sure to use loctite on clean threads, loctite does not work on greased up spindle and crankarm threads!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Are these available from On-One's website? Any more details?
    According to the link he posted, they'll be available in about 5 weeks. One of the comments says they'll be on On-One's web sites, but I don't see them listed yet.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Those On One's look very nice. I wanted AE01 or some close variant but decided I could not wait for general availability to be better in the US. It boiled down to Straitline AMP vs Spank Spike. Even though the AMPs are lighter, overall I preferred the design of the Spike. Just installed them today on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and will hopefully test them out Monday.

On my AM bike I have been running the re-branded HTs sold by Performance. They are cheap enough, work great and have held up well in abusive AZ riding conditions, but I do want something thinner to maybe reduce pedal strikes but more importantly for better control. Just couldn't bring myself to spend Point One Podium prices, as nice as those pedals are.
    Just a quick update. I have these on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and was able to try them out on a few runs yesterday (two Holbert runs, followed by one Geronimo at South Mountain in Phoenix).

They are great. Zero regrets. I noticed fewer pedal strikes, they are nice and roomy without being too big, and seem easy to get the foot positioned consistently. I opted to not install the inner pins which was the recommendation in the instructiuons for optimal foot placement vs optimal grip. Since they gripped just fine using 5.10s, I do not feel the need for the maximum grip pin placement option. I did not notice any squeaking from the 5.10s that some have reported.

I really noticed the added control especially in the switchbacks.

I plan to get another set for my AM/FR bike when I can justify replacing the current pedals.

mtbr member
    Hey bit of a n00b to proper flats... looking for someone to recommend high quality pedal that works well with 510's.

Coming from a clipless pedal users perspective.. Looking for something that's gonna make me feel nicely positioned on the pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Hey bit of a n00b to proper flats... looking for someone to recommend high quality pedal that works well with 510's.

Coming from a clipless pedal users perspective.. Looking for something that's gonna make me feel nicely positioned on the pedal.
    Any pedal with replaceable pins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Kona Wah-Wah.

mtbr member
    monstertiki, no, they recommend loctite in instructions, I used it and the pedals have stayed put since! ...
    Out of curiosity, what is so different about the threads cut on the new spindles vs the old defacto spindle threads (or any other pedal for that matter) that requires these (and only these) pedals use loctite?
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully odd.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is so different about the threads cut on the new spindles vs the old defacto spindle threads (or any other pedal for that matter) that requires these (and only these) pedals use loctite?
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully odd.
    Its not just you... it is both odd and a bunch of BS... and there is no mention of using loctite in Straitline's install instructions that I could find. Loctite for pins is fine, but for pedal spindles should not be required.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Its not just you... it is both odd and a bunch of BS... and there is no mention of using loctite in Straitline's install instructions that I could find. Loctite for pins is fine, but for pedal spindles should not be required.
    a bike shop mechanic was telling me they have been using teflon tape and that has been successful.

mtbr member
    gretch: easy. New instructions may have been made from user feedback, it happens.

murrdogg: teflon tape, this is like household plumbing. Loctite does the job. The only drawback is loctite should be left to set. Changing out clipless to platforms and vice versa may be a nuisance.

mtbr member
    Teflon tape WILL make the threads tighter! Im using it on my pedals. I would rather that than gum up the threads on my crank using Loctite!

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast