Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1585
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    If these came in another color (purple) I'd love to give these a shot. At $69 though, I'd probably just grab the Deity Decoys still.

http://anvlcomponents.com/2013/Product_Pedal-TiltComposite.cfm?Token={ts_2014-08-19_16:57:23}-c98b3c2a859721c6-62BED800-F6FF-E2FE-E7D9A90D447C219B#thumb

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    If these came in another color (purple) I'd love to give these a shot. At $69 though, I'd probably just grab the Deity Decoys still.

http://anvlcomponents.com/2013/Product_Pedal-TiltComposite.cfm?Token={ts_2014-08-19_16:57:23}-c98b3c2a859721c6-62BED800-F6FF-E2FE-E7D9A90D447C219B#thumb
    Quote Originally Posted by ANVL
    3 cartridge bearings + 1 DU bushing
    I like the way that sounds when saying it in my head!

Wonder if I can get the LBS to order these since they are selling Canfields.
    Frozen Trails... err

beater

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Curious, where do you find that each excels over the other?
    The Predators are bigger and grippier, by a good margin. But being bigger, they're slightly more prone to rock strikes, and those cost me traction pins. I use them around Montana, although I don't have them on at the moment, since I need to get some more pins. The Canfields are smaller, thinner, and have thicker/more robust pins. They're my desert pedals.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    I have Odyssey pedals on my 24" DJ and they have lasted for two years now, even with some serious bails. Thinking maybe I should just get some for the MTB?
    Which model Odyssey are these?
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Which model Odyssey are these?
    Sealed bearing trail mix
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

meow, meow.
    I'm 99% sure it's not a replica, and both brands are made at the same factory..
    26" faithful.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I'm 99% sure it's not a replica, and both brands are made at the same factory..
    Yeah, HT seems to be happy to make pedals for other people to sell under other names. If you look through all of the pedals at HT's own web site, you'll probably recognize a couple that you've seen before, but with other brands on them.

mtbr member

Another set of XPEDO SPRYs or go big?

I have a pair of XPEDO SPRY's, I had them on a dirt jumper for a while, They held up great in that application, since they never saw rocks.

For the last several months I put them on a Nomad for trail riding. They're holding up pretty well. I've torn a pin out, and while there are still threads in the hole, replacement pins never stay put in that hole, as the outer threads are gone. However they're still spinning great and haven't developed any play.

I'm building up a Banshee Spitfire and looking for pedals for that bike.
    There are lots of enticing new options such as the RaceFace Atlas, the new and improved Point One Podium, and Spank Oozy, to name a few. After reading over several pages of this thread, from the comments I'm gathering that the Canfield Crampon Ultimates are one of the sturdiest pedals in the 11-12mm thick category.

The Spitfire has a super low bottom bracket, so its pedals will definitely be getting some rock time. While SPRY's have held up for me pretty good so far, I'm not sure that would be the case on the Spitty.

I'm not that concerned with weight, although the lightness of the SPRYs is a nice bonus. I'm spoiled by the 11mm thickness of the SPRYs and I'm never going back to thicker pedals.

I'm debating whether the spendy $150+ pedals such as the Podium and Crampon are worth it in this situation. Certainly they'll be more durable than the magnesium SPRYs, but from a dollars and cents standpoint, SPRYs can be had for as little as $50 on Ebay, so I could get three pair for the price of one pair of Crampons...

mtbr member
    Durable, cheap, thin/light. Pick two (or compromise a bit).

You could save a lot by going slightly thicker. I'm running Nukeproof Electrons, which are 17mm thick (and $43 CAD IIRC). I haven't tried anything thinner, do you think the difference would be noticeable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    You could save a lot by going slightly thicker. I'm running Nukeproof Electrons, which are 17mm thick (and $43 CAD IIRC). I haven't tried anything thinner, do you think the difference would be noticeable?
    Enormous difference. Prior to the SPRYs I had Wellgo MG-42s, which have similar dimensions except they are 17mm thick. The difference in pedal feel between the two is very noticeable.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    based on the design of those pedals, I would say the difference is less in the thickness of the pedal and more to do with the profile design. The MGs are more of your old school/bmx platform. Its a flatter surface for you to stand on. The Sprys look like there are more contours for your foot to rest in. So while they may have similar WxL dimensions, I don't think the thickness is what makes them different. I can't imagine a 17mm Spry would feel much different from the 11mm spry (all else being equal).

I personally think if you're going with the expensive option, you should go with the Podiums. Looks like its similar in shape to the Sprys.

Full disclosure, I've never ridden any of these pedals. I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen online.

metrotuned WoS
    jojotherider, I've owned all the pedals you mentioned. You're right on point, pun intended, based off the judgements you've made from this thread and what you've seen online. Let's see what Interbike 2014 has to offer from Las Vegas. And I'm curious to try the Canfield Brothers first generation pedals and still curious to try the Syntace pedals with the three different platform sizes and ultra-uber high price tag (those pesky German design valuations).
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If rock strikes are a concern, consider Hope's F20 pedals. The profile isn't particularly thin, but the pin design is brilliant. I bought a set for my DH bike after shearing a couple pins from the HT pedals that I was using before.

F20 Flat Pedal | Hope Tech | Made in Barnoldswick, England

Hope's pins thread in from the top, using a hex wrench that you insert from the bottom. So unlike bolt-style pins that thread in from the bottom, if a broken pin ends up with a burr on the threads, you won't have to drag the burr through the pedal (damaging the threads) in order to remove the pin.

And unlike grub-screw pins that thread in from the top, you can still use a hex key to remove the pins after the top gets sheared off. (This is what screwed up my HTs - they had grub screw pins in the center of the platform, and once those went, the pedal didn't grip half as well and there was nothing I could do to fix it.)

And Hope's pins have a flared base that sits snug in a little pocket in the pedal, which should make them more resistant to breakage in the first place.

Ten pins per side, nicely distributed.

$150ish, but I'm hoping that they'll last for a long time. And not especially thin, but I'm OK with that. I didn't feel much difference between the HT AE-01s I was using (thin, but grub screws) and more conventional pedals.

My arm hurts a little
    Tried every single flat in the op. They are all meh!

Best flat I've tried is speedplay drilliums.

They are a little on the fat side. They arnt low pro but they are 10/10.

My group has a combine 18 or so years and never 1 problem. I'm in year 6 or so and they are still $$$$$!

They use a combo of needle and cart bearings! You'd have to be 1000lb plus to break them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

metrotuned WoS

Speedplay Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles, Speedplay's 13.5mm thick flat pedals, spin on two cartridge bearings and a needle bearing, and have ten star shaped traction pins on each side. $175 cro-mo 400g weight. Excessive all around. They might want to stick with their spd pedal line...

Picture of Brass Knuckles below:

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-speedplay-pave-pedals-brass-knuckles20130916_0012.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

metrotuned WoS

Good job! Improvement on the VP Harrier

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-vp-harrier-altitude-2.jpgVP Harrier Altitude, solidly sculpted with exposed CNC machining details and that gold titanium spindle. Hot!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Re: Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VP-Harrier-Altitude-2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	926431VP Harrier Altitude, solidly sculpted with exposed CNC machining details and that gold titanium spindle. Hot!!!
    Where did you get the ones with the ti spindle?

mtbr member
    I have Wellgo C 135's and B 132's shown below. the 135s are about 300g, and the B132's are about 350g. Both should cost around 50 bucks, but i haven't priced them lately.

the 135's are on the small side for a platform, but are fine for me. I was worried about durability but I have used them for a couple of seasons straight, and they have hit many rocks with no issues.

The 132's are bigger, and seem more solid, but are still very light. I haven't used them as much, but still seem perfectly adequate.

Some of these fancy 100-200 dollar pedals here loook kind of cool, but I can't get excited about pedals too much. I put my foot on them and they need to have grip and spin around and that's it.
    Even these super high priced and Ti fancy pedals wouldn't save me any weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-wellgo_b132.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

The Honey Badger Pedals

I ride the Honey Badger Pedals because Honey Badger don't give a $hit where I ride or what I ride over or through!Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dsc07339-low-resolution.jpgPlatform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dsc07358-low-resolution.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07339 Low Resolution.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	928936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07358 Low Resolution.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	928937
    Here's a few of the stats on the HoneyBadgers: 4.20 inches x 4.20 inches; 3.2mm thin on front and back edges; 3mm on outboard end, 2mm all around center mud clearance hole; angular contact, full compliment bearings; 8 reverse taper, length and diameter optimized traction pins; 16 fangs; twice the amount of mud clearance as FlyPapers; under 500 grams; better sealed bearings than the FlyPapers; 14.2% smaller diameter backside bearing than FlyPapers; 20% smaller diameter threaded end on frontside bearing cup than FlyPapers, with finer pitch threads; top secret, super strong, military grade stainless steel alloy with better corrosion resistance than any other steel; and 87% stronger bearing shaft and pedal body than FlyPapers, making the HoneyBadgers absolutely the strongest pedals in the history of the World! (Over 64% stronger than the next nearest "spindley" pedal)...and...Due to the smaller diameter backside bearing and the smaller diameter of the threaded portion of the frontside bearing cup, there are MANY more cranks that will now work!
    Last edited by Bike Doc; 10-04-2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Forgot text
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc View Post
    I ride the Honey Badger Pedals because Honey Badger don't give a $hit where I ride or what I ride over or through!Click image for larger version. 

ID:	928937Click image for larger version. 

ID:	928937
    Here's a few of the stats on the HoneyBadgers: 4.20 inches x 4.20 inches; 3.2mm thin on front and back edges; 3mm on outboard end, 2mm all around center mud clearance hole; angular contact, full compliment bearings; 8 reverse taper, length and diameter optimized traction pins; 16 fangs; twice the amount of mud clearance as FlyPapers; under 500 grams; better sealed bearings than the FlyPapers; 14.2% smaller diameter backside bearing than FlyPapers; 20% smaller diameter threaded end on frontside bearing cup than FlyPapers, with finer pitch threads; top secret, super strong, military grade stainless steel alloy with better corrosion resistance than any other steel; and 87% stronger bearing shaft and pedal body than FlyPapers, making the HoneyBadgers absolutely the strongest pedals in the history of the World! (Over 64% stronger than the next nearest "spindley" pedal)...and...Due to the smaller diameter backside bearing and the smaller diameter of the threaded portion of the frontside bearing cup, there are MANY more cranks that will now work!
    Hey Dean,

Congratulations on the new design and the fact it now fits a larger selection of cranks!

Is it possible to retro-fit them to a pair of XT cranks or do you need to purchase a new crank set and pedals from you?

Do you have pricing and availability worked out yet?

Thanks, in advance, for the info!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ride the Honey Badger Pedals because Honey Badger don't give a $hit where I ride or what I ride over or through!Click image for larger version. 

ID:	928936
    How do I become a tester?
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    How do I become a tester?
    So far, we have two testers; me, the designer; and Wil White who rode the Honey Badgers in the 2014 Red Bull Rampage. When you get your invite to compete in the Rampage, please let me know, and I will get you a set to test. Or, if you are racing competitively at the National Pro or World Cup level, or are starring in an extreme mountain bike video by a major production company, we may be able to work something out for you as well...
    Last edited by Bike Doc; 10-08-2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

meow, meow.
    So far, we have two testers; me, the designer; and Wil White who rode the Honey Badgers in the 2014 Red Bull Rampage. When you get your invite to compete in the Rampage, please let me know, and I will get you a set to test. Or, if you are racing competitively at the National Pro or World Cup level, or are starring in an extreme mountain bike video by a major production company, we may be able to work something out for you as well...
    Sounds like early days. )
    26" faithful.

metrotuned WoS
    bike doc, thanks for posting about the honey badger pedals. 500g, not feeling it. Those showboating teeth do provide that shinburger appeal, gotta give you that. Good to see you back, too. I remember many years ago when your pedals were hinted on MTBR. How do your previous generation pedals and the current pedals compare to the Tioga ZEROaxle MT-ZERO (450g) which shared lukewarm reception. They were released at $150, then set for $99 retail, then dropped below $75.

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast