Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1585
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    My new hot pink Canfield Crampons. Replacing my Gussets.
    Thinner, lighter and grippier. Perfect colour match for my rear triangle

Tested them last weekend and I was impressed with much these outperformed my old pedals. My feet remained firmly planted on the platforms on runs that were heavily gnar. (and where in the past my feet sometimes would lose contact)

photo DSC05178_zps7ed59b84.jpg

photo DSC05177_zps97d3cf8c.jpg

That's the thing about those pedals- people choke when they see the price, but once you've had a pair- you'd gladly spend the money again.

Love mine.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    kragu, how did that happen? A rock strike?
    looks like it happened over time by putting his weight to far out on the side of the pedal and continuing to over loading it... or its just a crappy bonding job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

meow, meow.
    Finally I ordered a pair of Kore Rivera Thermo:

Tested them on a guy's DJ/street bike and found grip quite sufficient. They were almost new though and he doesn't pedal grind. Important detail: note that the wrench flats don't go to axle faces. There are nice flanges which don't let the axle mangle an aluminum crank. Those pedals are the only loose ball bearing plastics that have this feature, among all such pedals that I checked.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    looks like it happened over time by putting his weight to far out on the side of the pedal and continuing to over loading it... or its just a crappy bonding job.
    Actually, it was my buddy's first day on them. 2nd run of the day in a park.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

meow, meow.
    Today I got 1st ride on Kore Rivera Thermo. Platform area and grip are just right (Shimano AM40 shoes). I rode urban mostly, and hit a pedal on concrete 2 or 3 times, the beefy molded pins held up.

Axle wrench flats don't go all the way to axle face, just like on the other Kore plastic pedal. This is very rare and a very good trait. There's a rubber seal inboard bewteen body and axle.

A word of warning on internals though. There is NO anti-slip washer in there between outboard cone and the locknut, so when you try to tighten the locknut, it drags cone with it and screws up the adjustment. There are also no respective flats in outboard axle thread for washer to lock against. Guess they were not meant to be adjusted. If I get pedals loosening prematurely I will grind 2 flats on threaded part and file a non-round hole in an M6 washer (it looks like 1/4" thread on axle).

I checked out internals on a guy's Odyssey Twisted PC for comparison, and it had the correct adjustable design. However they have wrench flats going all the way to the crank. Perfection is so hard to achieve in this world. *sigh*
    26" faithful.

meow, meow.
    I'm tempted to email Straitline asking them to launch a what I'd call Defacto Plastic. I'm sold on their axle/bushing system. With thin, doubly concave, full nylon composite or polycarbonate replaceable bodies that could be the ultimate playbike pedal. Think Odyssey JCPC but lighter, perhaps slimmer, and without those scary metal pins.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No pics unfortunately. I forgot where I put the pedals once the axle broke..
    I never got the pedals I ordered. They cancelled even though quantity was "10". I reordered and they cancelled again and removed the ad.

I did order the VP-001 pedals and they are great!

VP-001 Downhill/DH Mountain Bike Pedals - YouTube

Gary

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I had those before, I agree they are nice pedals but now I have the VP Vice pedals and there nicer.

Do yourself a favor and dont take them apart, when I did that they broke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I had those before, I agree they are nice pedals but now I have the VP Vice pedals and there nicer.

Do yourself a favor and dont take them apart, when I did that they broke.
    Ok, I will think of them as disposable pedals then . Why did you take them apart? To regrease?

Gary

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
    Ok, I will think of them as disposable pedals then . Why did you take them apart? To regrease?

Gary
    Yes, I dunno how it happened but one of the pedals all the threads just fell apart when I took the small nut off, more or less a small defect in the part, the other pedal was fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Yes, I dunno how it happened but one of the pedals all the threads just fell apart when I took the small nut off, more or less a small defect in the part, the other pedal was fine.
    Thanks bud!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    Podium 2's kick ass, they have tons of grip.

Attachment 887903
    Do you know if the Podiums 2's will fit on the XO crank with a crank boot on?

metrotuned WoS

... and if we just ... Dual platform with SPD clipless and flat platform

I am a fan of the design that Shimano has implemented on the XT Trekking editions. Fat platform on one side (with the polished corners) and SPD on the other side. It's right in the middle compromise, neither a race pedal nor an all out flat pedal, good option for a ONE BIKE TO RULE THEM ALL type setup. The model is called: Shimano PD-T780. Weight 392g for the pair, which is reasonably light, at half the weight of Syncros Mental stainless steel platform pedals with more functionality.

Here a few photos of the pedals installed on XT cranks, on a touring bike, and the pedals on the weight scale for the weight-weenies:

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-shimano-pd-t780-xt-392g.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-shimano-pd-t780-xt-trekking-pedals-b.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-shimano-pd-t780-xt-trekking-pedals.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

meow, meow.
    TBH I'm not convinced about designs like this one. Tried similar (caged, 1 side SPD, touring) pedals, they always wanted to face my feet the wrong side.
    26" faithful.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    I am a fan of the design that Shimano has implemented on the XT Trekking editions. Fat platform on one side (with the polished corners) and SPD on the other side. It's right in the middle compromise, neither a race pedal nor an all out flat pedal, good option for a ONE BIKE TO RULE THEM ALL type setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shimano PD-T780 XT trekking pedals b.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	914254
    The SPD side would work fine, especially since that's the way it will ALWAYS be facing. But that "flat" side would be worthless. It'd be slicker than sh|t on a shovel. I'd ride egg beaters with skate shoes before I'd ride that pedal. Obviously, YMMV...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    I am a fan of the design that Shimano has implemented on the XT Trekking editions. Fat platform on one side (with the polished corners) and SPD on the other side. It's right in the middle compromise, neither a race pedal nor an all out flat pedal, good option for a ONE BIKE TO RULE THEM ALL type setup. The model is called: Shimano PD-T780. Weight 392g for the pair, which is reasonably light, at half the weight of Syncros Mental stainless steel platform pedals with more functionality.

Here a few photos of the pedals installed on XT cranks, on a touring bike, and the pedals on the weight scale for the weight-weenies:

Name:	Shimano PD-T780 XT 392g.JPG 
Views:	448 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	914253

Name:	Shimano PD-T780 XT trekking pedals b.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	914254

Name:	Shimano PD-T780 XT trekking pedals.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	914255
    Crank brother mallets would be better with real pins
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    TBH I'm not convinced about designs like this one. Tried similar (caged, 1 side SPD, touring) pedals, they always wanted to face my feet the wrong side.
    That was my experience as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    That was my experience as well.
    That was also my experience with these pedals:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RvsSqG1JL.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Found this thread looking for Wellgo b219 reviews... My pedal reviews

In order of ownership, oldest first.

Stolen Thermalite SP:
    Learned lesson about buying cheap pedals; don't ride them hard or they bend. 2/10

DMR V-8 Mag:
    4, glued in, no aftermarket replacement studs came out of both pedals; three in the left, one on the right; pedals tap and die easily for hex retainer screws. After about six months of use, I bent the right "steel" spindle on a landing, no replacement spindles available. Decent pedal, but will not buy again unless there is a sealed bearing, chromo spindle version. 6.5/10[May try V12]

Fyxation Mesa MP:
    Comfortable, light, the nylon platforms will take really hard hits and come out 'looking' great, but the bearing retention system inside the platform takes all of the shock of the strikes and causes the chromo spindle to wiggle in the platform. After two months of aggressive commuting and XC(jumps and other obstacles) on these pedals the platform started shimmying, was able to get a warranty replacement from Fyxation without sending original pedals back to manufacturer(great CS). The replacements developed a wiggle at close to two months as well. Bent replacement pedals chromo spindle on left pedal during jump after having them for close to four months while usign them with the wiggle; figured I'd just replace them after I bent them. These pedals are rated for freeride and BMX, in my experience with these pedals, they need re-engineering to endure such ridding styles. 4/10

Nukeproof Neutron:
    Have had roughly five months and I have bent the left chromo spindle. Waiting for replacement spindles from CRC. Since I can buy spindles for them, I bought two pair, just in case! These pedals have a great feel to them, they are light and sexy. I took out the middle cleat screws on the platforms and placed skateboard grip tape around the axle body of the aluminum platform. I did this due to the pedals hooking up with my shoes so well that if you didn't get your foot placed just right on the pedal, you have to clear your foot from the pedal and reposition your foot, which was not always successful. After removing the middle cleat screws and applying grip tape, my Teva Pinners still stay hooked up to the pedals and I don't have to clear the pedal to try repositioning my foot, just relax a little and twist/slide the foot into position. Will keep riding after spindle swap out. 7/10

I'm thinking of getting some Wellgo B219's because I can get them for a steel right now; $30, local. Not finding any aftermarket spindles for the B219, I figured I'd get them on the cheap sale and keep them in my gear bag for long rides so I could just swap out pedals on the trail, instead of swapping out spindles on the trail, if I happen to bend a pedal. It's a little more weight to the gear bag, but it takes longer to remove and replace a spindle than it does changing pedals, plus I'd have to carry an extra tool. Anyone have any engineering reasons as to why I should pass up this deal on the B219's?
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow, sounds like you are tough on pedals! I would consider investing in something that will not bend/break under abuse. Something in the $150 plus range might be the only option. Of course it would suck to find out that the boutique pedals aren't any stronger.

I've had a couple of pairs of the Fixation Mesa/Nukeproof Electron/Deity Compound (same pedal I believe) for a couple of years now, and they've been great. I did need to tighten the pins, and the end cap on one pair was a little loose, so maybe that was the shimmy you were feeling?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I didn't mention that I am riding HT. The spindles on the V8's, Mesa-MP's and Neutrons all have the same spindle design. I'm noticing that I'm bending the spindles at the skinny of the shaft where the bearing sits. One of the workers at a local LBS told me that the B219's have a larger diameter chromoly spindle, and have lasted him for close to two seasons on his HT.

I'm constantly landing both wheels at the same time, but jumping a whole lot. Though I weigh about 180lb w/o gear. I have Odyssey pedals on my 24" DJ and they have lasted for two years now, even with some serious bails. Thinking maybe I should just get some for the MTB?
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    i think i might get these...

BODY MATERIAL: 6061-T6 ALUMINUM
    AXLE MATERIAL:Chromoly steel
    HEIGHT: 12-14.5mm
    PLATFORM SIZE: 101x114mm
    WEIGHT: 355g
    Bearings:4 Full sealed cartridge bearings per pedal
    COLOUR: Black, Blue, Red, Green

Race Face

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Glad to Be Alive
    after 6 months with the Canfield Crampons......I love how lite they are, thin design and grip.....plus I ride rocky areas and broke a few pins....Just replaced them by going to opposite side of broken spike and just turn them off....best out of any pedal I ever have owned.

also love the solid feel of the pedal...the bearings are really smoooth ...great feel on your feet...confidence booster too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    .plus I ride rocky areas and broke a few pins....Just replaced them by going to opposite side of broken spike and just turn them off....best out of any pedal I ever have owned.
    I agree, and the usefulness of this is generally overlooked, IMO. I had a pair of twenty6 Rallye pedals that I bent some pins on, and I couldn't replace the pins without cutting the pin off. I either want pins like the Canfields that I can push out from the bottom, or disposable ones like the newer generation twenty6 pedals.

(I currently have a pair of Crampon Ultimates and a pair of twenty6 Predators, and I go back and forth depending on where I'm riding.)
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    (I currently have a pair of Crampon Ultimates and a pair of twenty6 Predators, and I go back and forth depending on where I'm riding.)
    Curious, where do you find that each excels over the other?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast