Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast
    metrotuned WoS
    @KRob: You need to avoid any pedals with shims or black plastic washers. A lot of the thin pedals have them on the inside of the pedal, closest to the spindle. Atomlab Trailkings were one of the, if not the original thin platform pedal, still has the best looks of them all, but they used that sleeve type washer/bearing that just disintegrated and developed play. Not a problem if you rebuild it with the small parts, but it does cause owners to ***** and moan - same construction on the Eggbeater pedals pre-2011 models, and you can see the results of that. Rebuild once a season isn't unexpected to racers. Since you ask for durability and reliability anti-service, a pedal with big sealed cartridge bearings is the way to go. Syncros Mental with its quad bearings come to mind, as does the Sunline V1 and even the Easton Flatboy. It's all in my first post as the OP.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    @KRob: You need to avoid any pedals with shims or black plastic washers. A lot of the thin pedals have them on the inside of the pedal, closest to the spindle. Atomlab Trailkings were one of the, if not the original thin platform pedal, still has the best looks of them all, but they used that sleeve type washer/bearing that just disintegrated and developed play. Not a problem if you rebuild it with the small parts, but it does cause owners to ***** and moan - same construction on the Eggbeater pedals pre-2011 models, and you can see the results of that. Rebuild once a season isn't unexpected to racers. Since you ask for durability and reliability anti-service, a pedal with big sealed cartridge bearings is the way to go. Syncros Mental with its quad bearings come to mind, as does the Sunline V1 and even the Easton Flatboy. It's all in my first post as the OP.

Thanks for the heads up. Do the Deity Decoys and Kona Wah Wahs have the same issue (I think they are both Trail King copies)? They are also tops on my list.

brownpow! (?)
    My WahWahs only held up for 2 months/4-5 rides before developing play, I was pissed. A buddy of mine who does bigger drops and is/rides heavier than I has no play in his pair that he's ridden for way longer, so I'm not sure what the hell to think of em'. It's possible I maybe got a bad batch....

Would have to agree with IDS on the prerunners being the best I've tried so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by monkei
    Would have to agree with IDS on the prerunners being the best I've tried so far.
    The one thing I've noticed about the PreRunners, I have two friends who own some, is that some of the tabs that hold the pins have a habit of bending over snapping. Luckily they already have 20 pins a side or something like that.

Dinner for wolves
    Wellgo B030 in the house. No ride yet, but as a FYI:

1. these pedals have the Sun/Ringle Zuzu style pins (solid core, thread thru from the bottom) that I think are the most durable set-up. So far so good.
    2. They look and feel a tad small as compared to your basic HT/Deity/Kona square design...I don't know if this will affect riding yet, but the difference is better seen than felt, if you catch my drift.
    3. For $50 delivered, I really can't complain yet. They are not Podiums, for sure. Time will tell if they work well for my rocky terrain, SS riding.

BTW, has anybody mentioned the VP-59s yet? They look super simple, but seem to have the essential goods (size, sturdy pins, thin). Apparently VP showed some scary looking pedals at NAHBS this year.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Just got vp pedals yesterday and tried them out shortly there after. I like the lower profile and light weight of the pedal. They grip well, at least as good as my old low pro mags which are still in great shape after a year with very minimal play. I need more time to find out how reliable the vp's are but so far I like them. For 60 bucks they seem like a good bang for the buck. Only thing I don't like is the older style pins they use.

A lot thinner than the low pro mags! I was surpised at the size difference.

metrotuned WoS

Idea! Syncros Crux - brother of the Mental pedal

@monstertiki: thanks for sharing. You'll notice the platform height difference immediately although I would say the old pedal pin layout is equal or better than your new pedals.

Anyone using the Syncros Crux pedals? They're 6061, lower profile than the Mental's, 4 bearings each pedal, concave, 428g pair.

Source: Syncros
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-syncros-pedal-crux.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't know. They look like they might be pretty sweet. With the rocky trails in SoCal, my pedals look shredded pretty much right away anyway, so I have no problem with the unpolished appearance.

I particularly like the attention to bearings and free spin. I've got a pair of the neon green 2011 prerunners, and as nice as the platform is, they don't spin very easily. Great for dirt jumps, I suppose, but not so much for the 4700' of climbing it takes to summit Mt. Wilson out of my front door.

(My current theory is that bearing/bushing/seal drag makes the pedal more likely to roll under the foot when climbing steep, technical trails.)

mtbr member
    Just an update on my vp-001's... THEY FAWKING SUCK!... The grip is good, thin, and they are light but thats all they got going for them. I raced the local super D this weekend. Upon finishing the race I had a super bad cramp in my calf so I jumped off my bike and let it fall while I stretched my calf out. After I recovered I picked up the bike and noticed the pedal on the side I dropped it on was dented in on the top and bottom of the hole that gives you access to the axle on the outside edge of the pedal. I figured no big deal, I dropped it and that part is thin so thats my bad.

Today I did the DH race, on the way down I clipped a rock, nothing I haven't done before as the spitfire has a pretty low bottom bracket so it happens now and than. While I was pedaling I felt something weird about the pedal as I continued down the course. Keep in mind I wasn't catching big airs or doing bigger drops (nothing over three feet). When I got to the end and had a chance to stop and check out the pedal this was the result of a minor pedal strike.

I would not recommend this pedal at all on a mountain bike, bmx bike, or any bike for that matter. The outter edge of the pedal is too fragile. I have hit rocks with my low pro mags, tioga mx, and wellgo b-67's. Sure they get scuffed up a bit but not damaged like these did.
    Last edited by monstertiki; 03-06-2011 at 09:33 PM.

metrotuned WoS

Idea! Flypaper Pedal

@ monstertiki, sorry to hear. VP001s not a good deal at $60, or at $20 for that matter. Here's a quote from MTBR member, NWS: There are plenty of half-baked ideas that make it all the way to retail, so the customers end up doing all of the product testing. If a failed product just meant I had to rip-and-replace, it wouldn't be a big deal, but if a pedal fails at the wrong moment it will produce a trip to the hospital.

While we're talking about VP, let's post a prototype pedal, VP Free Rider, seen at '11 NAHBS that is clearly inspired by the 2007 "Flypaper pedal" (MTBR member, Bike Doc). The problem with Flypaper was the prerequisite to use modified cranks re: Momentum Bicycle, see the huge interface section at the crankarm and pedal spindle. VP took care of that handicap, but from monstertiki's post above, will VP copy and undercut the original only to leave the customers to product test? Saving a few bucks for a generic copy is actually more expensive in the end.

2007 Flypaper platform pedal
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-flypaper-pedal.jpg

2011 VP Free Rider platform pedal
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-free-rider-platform.jpg

brownpow! (?)
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant
    I've got a pair of the neon green 2011 prerunners, and as nice as the platform is, they don't spin very easily. Great for dirt jumps, I suppose, but not so much for the 4700' of climbing it takes to summit Mt. Wilson out of my front door.

(My current theory is that bearing/bushing/seal drag makes the pedal more likely to roll under the foot when climbing steep, technical trails.)
    Let me know if you figure out a solution for a little better freespin on the prerunners. Probably my only gripe with 'em, I've learnde to deal with it on the climbs.

On a side note, they perform awesome in the wet!! Spent all day today in the rain and mud going though the soupy to running creeks.

Now with More Wood
    Beta-testers of the world unite. Stop paying manufacturers for the privilege of doing their product testing for them.

Shocking amount of products being thrown out there without any apparent real-world testing behind them. I wouldn't exactly trust VP to come up with a solution to a very difficult equation (in the form of a pedal with no through-axle), when they can't even get their basic pedal right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    im looking forward to testing the new pedal trend

deity and Nukeproof are bringing HT copies to the table.. in shape at least, but with nylon/plastic bodies..

deity quotes replacement bodies for theirs to be 9 bucks.

and metal pins.. at around 45 bucks for a set of pedals, its worth a go

dont get me wrong, i would love a set of podiums, or twenty6s but if the cheap nylon ones work.. im all over those

mtbr member
    While we're talking about VP, let's post a prototype pedal, VP Free Rider
    The flypaper had the spindle as part of the pedal body with the bearings mounted in the crank. That just looks like a normal pedal with half as many bearings. I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    ...I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.
    It would however fly quite well if you did, given its shape.
    Last edited by Iceman2058; 03-07-2011 at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member

Underskilled
    That VP freerider looks amazing if it would work.

Anyone got any more info, wouldn't mind beta testing those?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    @monstertiki: thanks for sharing. You'll notice the platform height difference immediately although I would say the old pedal pin layout is equal or better than your new pedals.

Anyone using the Syncros Crux pedals? They're 6061, lower profile than the Mental's, 4 bearings each pedal, concave, 428g pair.

Source: Syncros
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	syncros pedal crux.jpg 
Views:	5311 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	600771
    Like the looks of this one.... but it's getting pricey at $145-169.

I don't smash pedals much (I've been running the same pair of CB acids on my FR bike for 2 years without issue) so maybe the VP would be OK?

Are platform pedals more exposed/susceptible to rocks than clipless?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I ruined those VP pedals in less than a week, riding downhill mind-you. One completely deformed around a rock. That section outside of the axle support folded on both. No good. Got them on eBay for ~$40 IIRC, still not worth it. They might suffice for trail riding, but not DH in my experience. Just a heads up.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    You don't even need to hit a rock with the vp 001 pedals. I dropped my bike and the hole that leads to the pedal axle was dented pretty good. They are junk.

mtbr member
    I didn't see the Dark Cycles Arachnids posted:

I love these pedals! if anything, they are pretty unique looking. But they do work well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    +1 on the arachnids! I have a set on my Banshee. light, low profile, grip, stand out in the crowd.

Perpetual Hack
    I also have a pair of Arachnids. Been running them for 3 years with no issues. They do use the old style grub screw, but this can be changed to one of the new style socket head pins.

michael

maker of trail
    Picked up a couple sets of these on my internet travels...

look and feel pretty decent at $46 each, looking forward to trying them once the snow goes away.

brownpow! (?)
    Wow, those Arachnids look cool, how much??

Nobody has mentioned the speedplay drilliums, I used em' for a while until i wanted something a lil' thinner and got the wah-wahs. They were some pretty awesome pedals with a super fat platform area. Ended up givin' em' to a buddy.

Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast