Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Taste the rainbow.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My God. Now that's a company that gets it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What makes a flat pedal worthy?

Durable
    Lightweight
    Rebuildable
    Inexpensive

Electron Pedals

I have been riding a set of Nukeproof Electrons for the past six months, 3-4 rides a week, too many "throw downs and rock hits" to count, so far all I have done is replace the outside socket head screws as they wore down. Bearings spin as smooth as new, nylon body shows minimal wear, I recently added a second nut, stacking them to make the pins into studs.

Weighing in at 338gm, $50 out the door, what more could you ask for in a pedal?

Fyxation Mesa II and HT are the same pedals, made in Taiwan and rebranded, so buy the one you can get for the best deal in your fav color. Metal cracks and dents, pin holes strip, why the bother when nylon is better?

Still don't like nylon, want lighter weight and more bling?

Nukeproof Neutron Mag-Ti Pedal 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Durable
    Lightweight
    Rebuildable
    Inexpensive

Electron Pedals

I have been riding a set of Nukeproof Electrons for the past six months, 3-4 rides a week, too many "throw downs and rock hits" to count, so far all I have done is replace the outside socket head screws as they wore down. Bearings spin as smooth as new, nylon body shows minimal wear, I recently added a second nut, stacking them to make the pins into studs.

Fyxation Mesa II and HT are the same pedals, made in Taiwan and rebranded, so buy the one you can get for the best deal in your fav color. Metal cracks and dents, pin holes strip, why the bother when nylon is better?

I love my Fyxation Mesa on my DJ, best pedals ever and yea really lite! Stacked tham against all kinds of stuff stairs, rocks, a wall or two and the are strong! But, I prefer the plastic studs just cause I do fubar..

mtbr member
    Updated Spank Spikes from Sea Otter 2012

Spank's Spike pedals are a staff favorite here at Pinkbike, but Spank is now offering an updated axle and nut layout that will eliminate the squeaking that some users may have experienced. The cause of the noise was simple: shoes with really pliable soles were flexing enough that they could rub on the older design's axle bolt. The updated model includes a new axle that uses lower profile nut (instead of a bolt) to hold the pedal body on, as well as a small diameter bushing. It's all about the details!
    Sea Otter Randoms - Part 2 - Pinkbike.com
    konahonzo

mtbr member

Twenty6 Predator installed

Scored a set of Ti spindle Predators for a decent deal. They were won by some other guy in a contest. I really dug my Prerunners that I hadon before, but I can already tell these are gonna rock even more. Even grippier, wider platform, pins that'll pierce bone, and it kinda matches my frame anodizing. Now I just gotta swap out the red pins n cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-side.jpg  

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-predators.jpg  

My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Has anyone developed any play in their Spank Spike pedals at the bushing end (outer). It states in the
    instructions leaflet to tighten them after a period. I have only riden two short rides and there is play already..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was expecting a bit more longevity than this..;-(

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    nope, my spikes got a decent amount of miles last summer, no play.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by monkei View Post
    I really dug my Prerunners that I hadon before, but I can already tell these are gonna rock even more. Even grippier, wider platform, pins that'll pierce bone, and it kinda matches my frame anodizing.
    I have Predators on one bike and Prerunners on the other. The difference in grip isn't just noticable - it's dramatic.

...Of Trails...
    Jan 2011

Sorry, I lost it when I thought you had a downhill/freeride unicycle. Oh wait....

...Of Trails...
    Jan 2011
    Scored a set of Ti spindle Predators for a decent deal. They were won by some other guy in a contest. I really dug my Prerunners that I hadon before, but I can already tell these are gonna rock even more. Even grippier, wider platform, pins that'll pierce bone, and it kinda matches my frame anodizing. Now I just gotta swap out the red pins n cap.
    Those pedals are exactly the right colour I need for my Dartmoor shine.... I may have to look into that...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Kona Wah Wah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudysriding View Post
    Kona Wah Wah
    imo wah wah's were the go to pedal but not anymore. with the new 11-12mm pedals out the difference is significant when riding. the HT AE-01's are my new standard plus they use the same size pins as the kona's which are narrower than many of the other pedals in this class - for me they offer better grip than the thicker pins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Taste the rainbow.

When/Where are these available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    When/Where are these available?
    The Path Bike Shop has the AE01 available only in Black, Red, Blue, Gray, Green, and Gold - $140.

But we are missing out on so much more it seems.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    The Path Bike Shop has the AE01 available only in Black, Red, Blue, Gray, Green, and Gold - $140.

But we are missing out on so much more it seems.
    Big HT fan, but at $150 they can keep them. There are plenty for light, thin, and wide flats on the market for a better price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball View Post
    Just picked up the HT ME01T's and they are stupid light! Before that I had the 5050xx and they were coming in at about 559g's...these are like 230-something
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    $250 for pedals....what?!?!
    A weight of 234g doesn't come cheap.
    The crazy sick part of this stupidity is that your paying this for HT pedals which may come from the same factory as many other pedals but the one difference is, that most likely their the left over cast material from the premium brands made at the factory. HT use to sell a Mg pedal for $70 that was 192g just a few yrs ago. The Ti version was a sick 125g for $120.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 04-28-2012 at 09:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Deity Compound pedal, same as HT PA12A Nano P Pedal, same as Fyxation Mesa MP, same as Nuke Proof Electron pedal. Nylon body, sealed bearing and PU bushing, steel socket head pins, fully rebuildable, replacement pins and nuts can be purchased for pennies at Fastenal.

The HT version does not seem to be readilly available, so I considered getting another pair of Electrons, but what I really wanted was a differrent color; I already have black and yellow. The Mesa MP seems to be black only, so I looked up Deity and they have four colors: black, red, green, and purple

deity Compound Pedals

I ordered some red to go with my 26er, almost added the green for my 29er, but decided to wait for a special occassion.

Seriously, for those who hammer on pedals and get tired of aluminum pedals getting beat up before their times, for those tired of paying big money for lightweight pedals, this pedal "style" is totally underutilized.

At 350gm and $50/pair, they really can't be beat.

You could try mine, but you'd need to have pretty good balance

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Sweet thread

I am enjoying this thread, and thinking about moving back into platforms after being clipped in for the last few years.
    I haven't seen anybody mention them yet but be warned Gusset pedals really suck!
    After buying a pair of the PCB "plastic" style pedals that locked up since day one, I rebuild them a number of times but they never lasted a week before locking up again, then one day the left literally locked up and cracked while on the trail

I also used the kona jackshits, they were pretty good.

The xpedo's look like they are worth a shot to me.

mtbr member
    The Deity Compound pedal, same as HT PA12A Nano P Pedal, same as Fyxation Mesa MP, same as Nuke Proof Electron pedal. Nylon body, sealed bearing and PU bushing, steel socket head pins, fully rebuildable, replacement pins and nuts can be purchased for pennies at Fastenal.

The HT version does not seem to be readilly available, so I considered getting another pair of Electrons, but what I really wanted was a differrent color; I already have black and yellow. The Mesa MP seems to be black only, so I looked up Deity and they have four colors: black, red, green, and purple

deity Compound Pedals

I ordered some red to go with my 26er, almost added the green for my 29er, but decided to wait for a special occassion.

Seriously, for those who hammer on pedals and get tired of aluminum pedals getting beat up before their times, for those tired of paying big money for lightweight pedals, this pedal "style" is totally underutilized.

At 350gm and $50/pair, they really can't be beat.

You could try mine, but you'd need to have pretty good balance
    Can you measure the dimensions of the pedal? Thanks!
    Last edited by slimphatty; 05-02-2012 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, they might be beaten... By the new Stolen Thermalite SP's. Same deal, steel pins in thermalite (Stolen's term for pc) for $19.99 from DansComp (no, I'm not affiliated). Plus free shipping on $30+ orders! I love my Stolen Thermalite's, but the addition of the steel is a good one for a couple bucks more.
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
    Well, they might be beaten... By the new Stolen Thermalite SP's. Same deal, steel pins in thermalite (Stolen's term for pc) for $19.99 from DansComp (no, I'm not affiliated). Plus free shipping on $30+ orders! I love my Stolen Thermalite's, but the addition of the steel is a good one for a couple bucks more.
    What are the dimensions of these pedals? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sorry, don't know since I haven't got the SP's yet. Actually, I drilled/tapped my regular cheapo $12.99 Thermalites and installed grade 8 socket screws, but the hardware cost me more wholesale than the SP's. Of course I have enough screws to last the rest of my life, but... There ya go!
    I live in my head...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been riding Straitline Platform pedals for the last year... and they are the best pedals i've ever owned. I havent had a chance to try the Straitline AMPs yet, but i've heard they are amazing as well. The Platforms are extremely easy to rebuild. They have the perfect (for me) amount of friction so they don't spin like a top when you take your foot off. and they have a looot of pins. The pins are hexegonal (sp?) which is supposed to give more traction i guess, all i know is that i get bloody shins/calves from them pretty often! The shape is really comfy for my feet, though i could rock them a little narrower because i have really skinny feet, but atleast i have a lot of real estate to plant my foot on in a hurry.
    These are the pedals i would recommend to anybody. I would love to try the AMPs though. Much lighter, but same quality. Plus straitline knows we like colour! =]

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone have any word on the Specialized Prototype pedals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Durable
    Lightweight
    Rebuildable
    Inexpensive

Electron Pedals

Have you tried using the pins that straitline or answer rove uses?
    Im just curious if you can and planning of buying one but I dont like the pins that electron has , it seems like it will rip off the shoe sole (regular shoes).

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Ok here it goes, I am buying pedals this evening and all of you have helped tremendously in my decision, (twenty6 too expensive for this weekend warrior, Spank Spikes are new w/ rebuilt shaft for 80 bucks- no brainer), but I find myself with a new problem (2 actually) and I can not find answers anywhere here or the rest of the WWW.

I have wide feet, very wide feet. I have the width of an 11 US and 8.5 in length. I have read what all of you say about the various combinations of pedals and shoes, but none of these manufacturers make their shoes in widths. I have search Nike, Amazon while sorting by size, Teva, 5.10, and even Merrill shoes. No shoes that are bike specific that come in wide sizes.

I need help/recommendation:

1. I did find plenty of flatish athletic shoes like these that I believe would work with platform spike pedals but I have heard many people speak on the type of sole used in 5.10's and I wonder would I defeat the purpose by using this shoe (loose grip, slipping, tearing sole apart)Amazon.com: New Balance Men's M890v2 Running Shoe: Shoes
    2. I have "tennis" shoes which are specifically designed for tennis courts that are made tougher on the bottom so they last longer, but they are flat and look like they too would make good contact with the spikes, but I am not sure the grip would hole b/c the sole is so tough, they look like this http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Me...=pd_sbs_shoe_1

I need help b/c I am worring about the soles specifically. I want lower clearance, better control, and all the things that one benefits from with platform pedals, but I have to have proper fitting shoes or it is pointless.

Please help.

Perfectionist with ADHD!

Help buying shoes

Quote Originally Posted by ChewynMe View Post
    Ok here it goes, I am buying pedals this evening and all of you have helped tremendously in my decision, (twenty6 too expensive for this weekend warrior, Spank Spikes are new w/ rebuilt shaft for 80 bucks- no brainer), but I find myself with a new problem (2 actually) and I can not find answers anywhere here or the rest of the WWW.

I have wide feet, very wide feet. I have the width of an 11 US and 8.5 in length. I have read what all of you say about the various combinations of pedals and shoes, but none of these manufacturers make their shoes in widths. I have search Nike, Amazon while sorting by size, Teva, 5.10, and even Merrill shoes. No shoes that are bike specific that come in wide sizes.

I need help/recommendation:

1. I did find plenty of flatish athletic shoes like these that I believe would work with platform spike pedals but I have heard many people speak on the type of sole used in 5.10's and I wonder would I defeat the purpose by using this shoe (loose grip, slipping, tearing sole apart)Amazon.com: New Balance Men's M890v2 Running Shoe: Shoes
    2. I have "tennis" shoes which are specifically designed for tennis courts that are made tougher on the bottom so they last longer, but they are flat and look like they too would make good contact with the spikes, but I am not sure the grip would hole b/c the sole is so tough, they look like this Amazon.com: New Balance Men's MC804 Tennis Shoe: Shoes

I need help b/c I am worring about the soles specifically. I want lower clearance, better control, and all the things that one benefits from with platform pedals, but I have to have proper fitting shoes or it is pointless.

Please help.
    Sorry I want to clear some things up, I have tried all the major bike shoe manufactureres that are listed throughout this site, only road shoes come in widths.

Also, I am worried that buying the wrong type of shoe will nullify the benefits of have the platform pedals. Just want my feet to be comfy, and to stick to the pedals.

mtbr member
    You're over-thinking this... just get a well-fitting pair of shoes with flat soles! Seriously... ANY good tennis shoe will stick just fine, maybe too fine. What's wrong with what you have now, btw?
    I live in my head...

mtbr member
    Good, grippy platforms will eat skate shoes up pretty fast, but they can be bought relatively cheap on sale and work very well. Only reason I'm thinking about a set of 5.10s or something like that is for the higher durometer sole made to take the abuse of riding with grippy platforms. I've been having to replace my shoes every 3-4 months because of biking around on twenty6 prerunners, the new predators will likely be worse in that regard because of the insane amount of grip. You definitely won't need any special biking shoes to make your pedals grip well if you've picked a well thought out & designed pedal, & there's quite a lot of experience on this thread as to which ones seem to be.

So my new bike seems to have a noticeably lower BB height than the last one and I've already lost an Al pin or two on the pedals (they still gripped awesome on the last ride). Today, I installed a set of ti pins, went for a ride and midway through slammed/scraped the pedals into/across the ground at speed trying to pedal while the suspension was near bottom but didn't lose any of 'em. Also got rid of the remaining red ugliness by replacing the spindle caps with green ones.
    Last edited by monkei; 05-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    You're over-thinking this... just get a well-fitting pair of shoes with flat soles! Seriously... ANY good tennis shoe will stick just fine, maybe too fine. What's wrong with what you have now, btw?
    Honestly there is nothing wrong with them. I wear Nike Air Pegasus' right now but the petals are preloaded garbage. I have had my foot slip a few times and I know it would happen less often with better petals, but reading through here it seems a necessary move to upgrade the kicks when I switch to platform petals. Would it be fine to keep sporting the Nike Atheletic shoes with the Spank Spikes?

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    *no idea why my spell check changed pedals. Oh dear lord!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have you tried using the pins that straitline or answer rove uses?
    Im just c! urious if you can and planning of buying one but I dont like the pins that electron has , it seems like it will rip off the shoe sole (regular shoes).
    That may be the only disadvantage, they do seem to be hard on soles, so what I did was add a second nut to all of the pins, which makes them into "studs". The grip is still excellent and they seem to be less abrasive on my shoes.

The "pins" are actually socket head screws that insert from one side, pass through the pedal body, and are secured with a nut on the opposite side. So a screw in stud or pin from another pedal would not work, nor can you easilly change to a larger diameter socket head.

Great pedals otherwise! I just receved some Deity pedals, same design as the Electron, but in red, sweet!!

mtbr member
    After you wear out the Pegasus', you could try some 6.0's if Nike's fit you well. Think I'd prefer a shoe that fits my foot well compared to one that "fits" a pedal! Shoes are disposable after all...
    I live in my head...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChewynMe View Post
    Sorry I want to clear some things up, I have tried all the major bike shoe manufactureres that are listed throughout this site, only road shoes come in widths.

Also, I am worried that buying the wrong type of shoe will nullify the benefits of have the platform pedals. Just want my feet to be comfy, and to stick to the pedals.
    you could always just resole the shoes you like with a stealth rubber kit. i'd still go with a flat soled skate type shoe over a running type shoe though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    you could always just resole the shoes you like with a stealth rubber kit. i'd still go with a flat soled skate type shoe over a running type shoe though...
    Nope, don't do it, the Stealth rubber resole kit that Five Ten sells is for climbing and water shoes, rubber is much softer and will not hold up to pinned pedals; this is from the "horses mouth".

You can reole with a Vibram brand sole, just hit up your local shoe repair guy, but expect to pay $50 a pair, so it'd be more cost effective to buy new shoes.

Widest flats shoes I have found is the Five Ten Baron, not the stiffest sole, but certainly wide and has great rubber. Five Ten Impacts are wide until you get to the toe box. You could order a bunch of shoes from Zappos, shipping is free both ways, keep one, send the rest back, all you end up payng is retail and you get the benefit of free testing

sandbagger
    canfield crampons

V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

Perfectionist with ADHD!

Bonking ... not feelin' well No 6.0 in wide sizes

After you wear out the Pegasus', you could try some 6.0's if Nike's fit you well. Think I'd prefer a shoe that fits my foot well compared to one that "fits" a pedal! Shoes are disposable after all...
    You know I totally agree with this option, the only issue is that Nike's don't necessarily fit me well, they just happen to have wide sizes, but not in their 6.0's

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That may be the only disadvantage, they do seem to be hard on soles, so what I did was add a second nut to all of the pins, which makes them into "studs". The grip is still excellent and they seem to be less abrasive on my shoes.

The "pins" are actually socket head screws that insert from one side, pass through the pedal body, and are secured with a nut on the opposite side. So a screw in stud or pin from another pedal would not work, nor can you easilly change to a larger diameter socket head.

Great pedals otherwise! I just receved some Deity pedals, same design as the Electron, but in red, sweet!!
    Thanks for the info on this, I think ill give the electron a try.
    Any advice on what size of the nut will fit?

mtbr member

Point 1 Podiums

I have been running the Podiums for a year now and they are tough pedals. I just purchased a second set and they have made one obvious change to the pedals. The spindle on the new pedal is tapered just inside of the large bearing and has a smaller diameter. The pedals also spin better out of the box. There is still some resistance, which I prefer, but they are noticeably better spinners on the bike. The new pair will go on the pedal bike and the old 1's will stay on the big bike.

Lower pedal is an original and the upper one is new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-001.jpg  

Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I have been running the Podiums for a year now and they are tough pedals. I just purchased a second set and they have made one obvious change to the pedals. The spindle on the new pedal is tapered just inside of the large bearing and has a smaller diameter. The pedals also spin better out of the box. There is still some resistance, which I prefer, but they are noticeably better spinners on the bike. The new pair will go on the pedal bike and the old 1's will stay on the big bike.

Lower pedal is an original and the upper one is new.
    +1111 to this

I bought a set of raw Podiums last winter, and was kinda bummed to see how hard they felt to spin, even though I kinda knew what to expect after reading these threads. I ended up not going with a new build and sold the pedals. I just finished a new build a few weeks ago finally and after buying some HT EVO AE01 for the bike, I sold those too. I wasn't completely sold on the HT's mini bearing system, looked like it wouldn't last long for a clyde, plus they weren't as wide as the Podiums that I remembered.

Long story short, every retailer was sold out of the raw finish a few weeks ago and I tried to contact Point1 directly and they had some raw finish Podiums just coming off the CNC machine. Bought directly from them, arrived quick, and like you stated, the axle has been updated, they spin wonderfully now, a lot better than before, and also come standard with the longer pins as well.

And the raw finish holds up amazingly well to rock hits and scrapes.

Hella grippy too with some Vans Authentics.
    konahonzo

sandbagger
    can you say canfield crampon christmas?

Last edited by airmiller44; 05-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    So my new bike seems to have a noticeably lower BB height
    What is that frame? Looks kinda lovely.
    ~Edit, nevermind, it's a Foes, of course it looks lovely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    So after nearly 3 months of waiting, I finally get the Da Bomb Bare Bones pedals that I ordered from CRC.
    They weigh 338 grams for the pair according to my scale. The platform is about the same size as the Crampons and they are thinner in the center but slightly thicker a the edges. Just got them today so not sure how they ride yet. Won't be able to ride till next week.

Also, update on the Crampons. A while back I decided to try and sell them but decided to keep them after all. I did 2 things and the pedals barely squeak now while I'm riding so I'm much happier with them.
    The first thing I did was to take everything apart and clean out the bushing and grease with hi-temp wheel bearing grease.
    The second thing I did was I noticed in some pictures that you can thread the studs in from the reverse side by inserting your allen wrench through the pedal(the hole is drilled all the way through but there is a step so the stud can only go in so far). Threading the studs in this way gives maybe an extra millimeter of height. I'm also hoping that by threading in this way, if I ever shear off a stud I would still be able to back out the stud without drilling or anything.

Ok so I just wanted to give a quick update on the Da Bomb Bare Bones pedals that I received in Feburary. In short, I was pretty happy with them until this past weekend. After I went on a 23 mile (unexpectedly) wet ride. I came home and hosed off the bike because of all the dirt/mud stuck on the bike. Afterwards it felt like one of the pedals was really hard to turn(felt like it almost seized) so I decided to take it apart and see what was going on. What I found was that after less than 4 months of I would say light to medium use during a very dry winter(I have 2 bikes and I didn't ride much in Feb/Mar because of snowboarding), both axles were pretty pitted, the "proprietary" bearing was caked in dirt and the races were pitted as well. In my opinion the seals do a very poor job of sealing and so caused premature wear on the axles/bushings/bearings. I think if the HT AE-01s are anything like these Da Bombs then we will start to hear complaints soon, especially from people in wetter climates.
    I cleaned everything out as much as I can and re-greased everything. The pedals turn ok now but one side has some axial play(left to right along the axle). I think I can get a washer to shim it but I'm not very optimistic that these pedals will last too long. I just hope I can get a rebuild kit. But yeah, for the amount of money I spent on these, I expected them to be much better quality.
    So I guess the search goes on, the next pedals I'm looking at are the Canfield ultimates. But kind of nervous since the design looks really similar to the HT AE01s.

Pic of the bearing

Pic of the axle
    Last edited by pwu_1; 05-28-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added pics

mtbr member
    I think if the HT AE-01s are anything like these Da Bombs then we will start to hear complaints soon, especially from people in wetter climates.
    Having owned and taken apart of a pair of HT AE-01s to properly lube up (purchased them used after seller took one ride), they look exactly like your pics, same axle, same "proprietary" bearings, seals, and the end nut on the axle. I was skeptical about them from the get-go, especially the super small bearings and primitive covering from the elements.

The HT AE-01 and anything similar to it that's rebranded in my opinion isn't worth the $130+ pricing.

Thankfully sold them, broke even, and bought some Point1 Podiums, and I couldn't be happier.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can I use the traction pins from straitline amp to the point one podiums?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

RideDirt
    I love my new E-thirteen pedals ! They are wide and feel really good .. I get good feedback from them on the trails .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I love my new E-thirteen pedals ! They are wide and feel really good .. I get good feedback from them on the trails .

I just got mine yesterday, the 4mm pins grip my vans real well, I can only imagine it with my 5.10 . Have not tried the 7mm pins, but then I can only imagine the grip. I will be using the longer pins on races and stick with the shorter ones for every day rides...I like the preload, where you can control how the pedal rotates, I like it tight. Big platform, slightly wider than Straitline.

aedubber - have you hit the pins on rocks yet? How do they cope on rock hits?
    Folangag

RideDirt
    Yea im actually just using the shorter pins right now with my freeride 5/10 and they stick really good .. I have used them with my 5/10 impact lows as well and they are great . I am the same way about the preload with the pedal , i like mine to be kinda tight and in place . Whats sick about the pedals is that you can rebuild ALL of it , the body , pins, and axle Can mix and match with the white and black too.

Ok , yes i have scraped my pedals against the rocks and boulders in the rock gardens , and the trails i have been riding are expert double black diamonds lol ... If i had the normal alum pedals they would be banged up and pins would have been broken.. So , yes they are ROCK approved

My buddy has some straightlines and those are as well .. If i didnt go with the e-thirteen pedals, straightlines were my next choice and nothing else . Pedals are a smart investment and shouldnt be over looked.

Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post

I just got mine yesterday, the 4mm pins grip my vans real well, I can only imagine it with my 5.10 . Have not tried the 7mm pins, but then I can only imagine the grip. I will be using the longer pins on races and stick with the shorter ones for every day rides...I like the preload, where you can control how the pedal rotates, I like it tight. Big platform, slightly wider than Straitline.

aedubber - have you hit the pins on rocks yet? How do they cope on rock hits?

mtbr member
    aedubber - Thanks for the feed back. Good to hear they are rock bashing worthy.

I would have also gone with the Straitline's, If not for my LBS pimping me the E13 pedals when it arrived . A bit cheaper than the Straitline too, and that's a big plus. To be honest I always thought the new pedals were overrated and overpriced, and that a 5.10 shoe is the only thing you'd need. Until I tried these ones! Never imagined I would be so stoked on pedals haha!
    Folangag

7MGTE

New Crampons

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    Damn....those look hawt...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have now been running the spank spikes for almost 2 full seasons in the sierras and I love them. No issues, smooth, and sweet looking. I got mine from eBay for $70 a set new. Best purchase!

mtbr member
    Anyone know the specs and info on those new Crampons? Weight, price, availability, platform size?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Canfield Brothers
    We just received the first couple dozen sets of Crampon Ultimates.

They weigh in at 320 grams per pair.

The platform measures 106mm x 106mm x 10mm.

They are available in Black, blue, red, gold, orange and purple.

Retail is $150, call Sean at Canfield Brothers to get one of the first sets. 801-548-2556 Not available on the web yet, the web store will include these in a couple weeks when we receive the remaining pedals.

I've been on these for a year and I couldn't be happier. See for yourself.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    We just received the first couple dozen sets of Crampon Ultimates.

They weigh in at 320 grams per pair.

The platform measures 106mm x 106mm x 10mm.

They are available in Black, blue, red, gold, orange and purple.

Retail is $150, call Sean at Canfield Brothers to get one of the first sets. 801-548-2556 Not available on the web yet, the web store will include these in a couple weeks when we receive the remaining pedals.

I've been on these for a year and I couldn't be happier. See for yourself.
    Those pedals look awesome! However, they look like they might also use the same axle/bushing/bearing system as the HT AE01s. Can you give some additional info? Does the ultimates use bearings inside the pedal like the original crampons or is it all bushings now inside the pedal? Does it have the proprietary HT bearing on the outside between the pedal and the nut?

7MGTE
    Those pedals look awesome! However, they look like they might also use the same axle/bushing/bearing system as the HT AE01s. Can you give some additional info? Does the ultimates use bearings inside the pedal like the original crampons or is it all bushings now inside the pedal? Does it have the proprietary HT bearing on the outside between the pedal and the nut?
    It was covered yesterday:
    " It uses a DU bearing, similar to allot of pedals but we have a "hat" shaped DU the eliminates the need for the thrust bearing, simple and effective side loading."

Is this the Crampon 2 pedal?

I have a set of gold on the way. Thanks Canfield brothers for making the best pedals even better!

mtbr member
    I tried calling them yesterday but missed them. I'll try again today. I'd like a black set.

Question, are these concave at all? Sorry, but I've not ever seen a set of Crampons in person.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The crampon ultimates are on the website! Just placed my order. Can't wait to get them

mtbr member
    Damn. Black is sold out already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do they have it on raw or silver color?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    forte makes a good very low cost high traction platform pedal

Calm like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Good to hear about the Spikes! After following this thread, in my opinion the top 3 flats are

Straitline Amps
    Spikes
    HT AE01s

I chose the Amps of course and added my own set screws! (another pic in case someone missed it!)
    how does the platform of the amps feel in comparison to the spikes?

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the images of the crampon ultimates. Is it true the Crampon's are produced by the same factory as HT pedals? Not that it will affect my purchasing power as I already own Podium Point One's and Twenty6 Prerunner ti-axle pedals, just curious as that's the word around the local riding crew.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the longevity of these pedals since they seem to be similar design as the Da Bomb Bare Bones(rebranded HT AE01s).
    I took the pedals apart to see how similar they are to the Bare Bones and I think they are definitely made by the same company. Both the Bare Bones and the Ultimates use two DU bushing. The difference is that the Ultimates' bushings have a lip that extends out of the axle bore(kinda like the brim of a hat). I guess that eliminates the need for the tiny thrust bearing that the Bare Bones/AE01s have. The axle for the ultimates are slightly shorter due to the elimination of the external thrust bearing. I'm hoping that eliminating that thrust bearing will help these pedals perform better in wet conditions.
    Finally, looking at the shape of the pedal, the Ultimates are about 10mm thick in the center and tapering down to 6mm at the edges(basically same shape and tapering as the original crampons except the ultimates don't have the big hump in the middle). The Bare Bones are about 11mm thick in the center and depending on how you measure the edge, either 9.5mm(if you measure the thickest part of top and bottom near the edge) or 6mm(if you measure at the thinnest point of the pedal. But that's not at the edge of the pedal).
    The Ultimates weigh 320grams without pins. With pins they weighed 340grams on my kitchen scale. Bare Bones weighed 338 with pins when I weighed it in Feburary.
    Anyway, here are some pictures. First ride is tomorrow. Will report back on if they loosen up a bit.
    pedals side by side:

Another showing thickness. From left to right: Da Bomb Bare Bones, Crampons, Crampon Ultimates

Crampon Ultimates shape

Bare Bones and Ultimates thickness side by side

mtbr member
    Nice review thanks

They are hard to spin for 2 reasons tight seals and it makes them easier to get your foot back on should they slip off. These are DH pedals they are meant for going down, over rough ground, not for spin class.

mtbr member

Upset metrotuned SS crankset: Twenty6 Prerunner Titanium Axle Platform Pedals

pwu1: good comparison. They all look identical! Do you have enough bikes to mount each pedal set or are you trying one to be the best of three?

A metrotuned crankset awaiting a Chris King BB. Shawnee Ceramikoat XTR 960SS, Twenty6 Prerunner ti-axle platform pedals in polish and rainbow jazz.

Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    ^Bling!

mtbr member

Vp-69...

brand new... look sick and have a good profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by chadalex78; 06-06-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added pic

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    pwu1: good comparison. They all look identical! Do you have enough bikes to mount each pedal set or are you trying one to be the best of three?:
    Got 2 bikes. Have the original crampons on one and the ultimates on the other. Prolly keep the bare bones for backup but hopefully the ultimates will work out for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    brand new... look sick and have a good profile.
    How big is the platform size on that pedal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=pwu_1;9378951]Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the longevity of these pedals since they seem to be similar design as the Da Bomb Bare Bones(rebranded HT AE01s).
    I took the pedals apart to see how similar they are to the Bare Bones and I think they are definitely made by the same company. Both the Bare Bones and the Ultimates use two DU bushing. The difference is that the Ultimates' bushings have a lip that extends out of the axle bore(kinda like the brim of a hat). I guess that eliminates the need for the tiny thrust bearing that the Bare Bones/AE01s have. The axle for the ultimates are slightly shorter due to the elimination of the external thrust bearing. I'm hoping that eliminating that thrust bearing will help these pedals perform better in wet conditions.
    Finally, looking at the shape of the pedal, the Ultimates are about 10mm thick in the center and tapering down to 6mm at the edges(basically same shape and tapering as the original crampons except the ultimates don't have the big hump in the middle). The Bare Bones are about 11mm thick in the center and depending on how you measure the edge, either 9.5mm(if you measure the thickest part of top and bottom near the edge) or 6mm(if you measure at the thinnest point of the pedal. But that's not at the edge of the pedal).
    The Ultimates weigh 320grams without pins. With pins they weighed 340grams on my kitchen scale. Bare Bones weighed 338 with pins when I weighed it in Feburary.
    Anyway, here are some pictures. First ride is tomorrow. Will report back on if they loosen up a bit.
    pedals side by side:

Can u use the pins from straitline to the crampon ultimate?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhobert View Post
    How big is the platform size on that pedal?

105x105x17mm at around 380g(website says 378, box they were in says 384.. Maybe one is with pins and one is without) Dont have a digital scale to weigh em but they seem solid and bearings are like butter.. Hopefully get my new bike tomorrow so I can try em out... Ill let u know how they perform.. The way the pins look and the shape of the profile makes me think theyre gonna work very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    105x105x17mm at around 380g(website says 378, box they were in says 384.. Maybe one is with pins and one is without) Dont have a digital scale to weigh em but they seem solid and bearings are like butter.. Hopefully get my new bike tomorrow so I can try em out... Ill let u know how they perform.. The way the pins look and the shape of the profile makes me think theyre gonna work very well.
    Thanks, I'm on the market of getting a new pedal to replace the stock pedals I have and I'm looking for the widest pedal I can get and that's not too expensive.

mtbr member
    What ever happened to the flypaper thread?

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'm on the market of getting a new pedal to replace the stock pedals I have and I'm looking for the widest pedal I can get and that's not too expensive.

I got those for like $70.... Good buy compared to others..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got those for like $70.... Good buy compared to others..
    Cheapest I could find is $90

mtbr member
    Cheapest I could find is $90

try Amazon...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    try Amazon...

Found one on Universal Cycles $72.00 shipped.. You think i can replace the VP pins to the ones that Straitline amps are using? I kinda like the pins that straitline amp uses because I only ride using regular shoes (running, skate shoes) .

mtbr member
    Found one on Universal Cycles $72.00 shipped.. You think i can replace the VP pins to the ones that Straitline amps are using? I kinda like the pins that straitline amp uses because I only ride using regular shoes (running, skate shoes) .
    uh.. I dunno.. prolly have to use the VP pins.. Not sure tho.. Ill be riding mine in skate shoes till my new shoes come in.. I aint worried bout it.. The pins dont look like they'd be any trouble on skate shoes.. Actually im using Vans whip which is a bike shoe, but in reality, more of a skate shoe. But ive had no problems on my Kona pedals with em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    uh.. I dunno.. prolly have to use the VP pins.. Not sure tho.. Ill be riding mine in skate shoes till my new shoes come in.. I aint worried bout it.. The pins dont look like they'd be any trouble on skate shoes.. Actually im using Vans whip which is a bike shoe, but in reality, more of a skate shoe. But ive had no problems on my Kona pedals with em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Those. Look. Sick! Do want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    apparently still in testing.
    Sam Hill’s pink Demo 8 bike check

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in.
    finally got a ride in today. The pedals did loosen up a bit. Still doesn't spin that freely but on my ride today I didn't feel like they were slowing me down. As long as they do good in wet weather, I think I finally found the pedals for me!

meow, meow.
    Shimano is releasing Saint PD-MX80 pedals..

2013 Shimano Saint Pedal PD-MX80 - 2013 Shimano Zee and Saint Groups - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Now I know where to run for salvation if I'm ever disappointed with Straitline AMPs.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggs View Post
    From the pics below, they appear to be convex with the pins possibly creating a concave platform?
    Yes. I didn't measure mine at all, but I set the platform on the edge of the table (before installing pins) and it rocked back and forth very slightly. They're nowhere near as convex as the beveling makes them look, however, and the pins create a concavity. They should slip off rocks pretty nicely, although I have yet to take mine on a trail that would test that.

How's your Spitty treating you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got the Spank Spike pedals and they are 180gms lighter and 10mm thinner than my Easton Flatboys!

You can get then 10% off at universal cycles with VIP10 Coupon.

mtbr member
    Kill man, thx!
    I live in my head...

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Newb here, thanks for this outstanding thread. I have read it end to end. As a former BMX rider in my youth I am not real keen on clipless pedals for mountain biking so I was looking for a quality American (or Canadian) made flat peddle. This thread has really helped me settle on the Point One Podium pedal. I hope they are everything I have read here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very impressive!

Point One Racing - How their Podium pedal is built in house

mtbr member
    Took these out for a break in ride last night. They are very stiff in hand, but that did not carry over into the trail. So many options for pin placement, so I tried a different configuration on each side. No noticeable difference in pin placement. For my intents they are way better than the V1 Crampons. I ride flats for everything and having the spindle covered is such an upgrade. No more squeaky squeaky on every pedal stroke. Well worth the money, and I love the Canfield support and enthusiasm.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crampon.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crampon2.jpg
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Spank Spike Pedals | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Even though its only 1cm, the lower height and increased grip of these spank spike pedals make quite a difference to the feel of the bike. Not that i'll be changing pedals anytime soon but when i do, i'll definitely be getting slim ones again
    Last edited by Ahil; 06-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'll second that, I am well pleased with my Spank Spikes and a lot of people make comments after seeing the Zesty Orange ano.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nothing but problems from my Spikes (v1). Developed play within a week...easily fixed. Now a bent axle. Spank is replacing them for $15 to cover shipping. I'm sure shipping gets very expensive when the majority of the company is in Taiwan.

meow, meow.
    So far so good with my Ti axle Amps.

Ripped a chunk of meat 2 weeks ago from my calf. One pin dug in especially deep, I had to cut off some half-disconnected flesh with scissors. Scars are going to look nice when they heal. )

I also overhauled them and put black (thinner) plastic washers instead of white ones. White washers are easy to mistake for black ones, if you only see their edges. Axial preload is noticeably less with the black ones, it can be felt by hand. I did this on Greg's (of Straitline) advice to try and stop the self-unthreading issue. Of course I feel no difference in resistance when riding.

Going to try the new Saint pedals on my singlespeed build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    So far so good with my Ti axle Amps.

Ripped a chunk of meat 2 weeks ago from my calf. One pin dug in especially deep, I had to cut off some half-disconnected flesh with scissors. Scars are going to look nice when they heal. )

I also overhauled them and put black (thinner) plastic washers instead of white ones. White washers are easy to mistake for black ones, if you only see their edges. Axial preload is noticeably less with the black ones, it can be felt by hand. I did this on Greg's (of Straitline) advice to try and stop the self-unthreading issue. Of course I feel no difference in resistance when riding.

Going to try the new Saint pedals on my singlespeed build.
    So Straitline actually admitted that the Amps unthread themselves? When I repeatedly tried to contact them last year I got no response back... I sold the pedals.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    So Straitline actually admitted that the Amps unthread themselves?
    Sounds like it. They also recommend installing them without grease. I replied that titanium would surely gall and seize if I did that, but there was no response to that. Also, more install torque was recommended.

Mine are threaded in with copper anti-seize compound, using pedal washers. Funny thing is, they didn't attempt to unthread themselves at first several rides. Then I learned about the issue, checked tightness, all was fine, I went to ride, came back, checked again, and both axles were ever so slightly loose in the cranks. I keep checking them before every ride, and one or another axle needs (very little) tightening every other time.

I like them a lot overall, and if this behavior persists even with black washers, then I'll just degrease the threads and use some blue threadlocker.

(Going Shimano on my another bike is for conceptual integrity of the build, i. e. low maintenance, hop on and go ride, and all that.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just came across these in Decline magazine.... looks interesting?

Lab Limited - Pedals

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Just came across these in Decline magazine.... looks interesting?

Lab Limited - Pedals
    The edges of the pedals kinda look like the Spank Spike.
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 361