Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1585
    NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    There were some AE03s up for sale on ebay the other day via Bi_King, the same vendor I got my AX01s from. AE01s/03s aren't always available, but they come and go. Check periodically if you don't find them right away, they'll probably come back.

mtbr member
    Chromag's newest pedal, the Contact, was designed by Brandon Semenuk, with a 15mm thick platform that extends inboard to provide extra control during bouts of mid-air trickery.

Friday Randoms - Eurobike 2013 - Pinkbike

bikerbert
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmjrt View Post
    So I recently purchased a Trek Lush SL 14.5 (yes, I'm short and generally rather small including my feet) which is my first full suspension bike and I have started the upgrade evolution to make it mine. I've already changed the handlebar out to a Bontrager CF and new grips - the OEM handlebars were way too narrow and the grips were just rather cheap. I've got some five ten karver's on their way to me and I would like to get a good platform pedal and replace the rather heavy and thick wellgo which is currently on the bike. I've been reading reviews and am at least initially interested in the HT products - particularly the ME03T but the post above about having a chunk coming out gives me pause...especially since the poster replaced it with a different pedal. I was also interested in the HTAE03 but it's quite a bit heavier....although still lighter than many.

My riding is a mix of downhill and general trail riding. I just got back a couple of weeks ago from Utah and riding the JEM trail, etc and will be heading to Northstar this Fri. Planning to head for Phoenix (South Mountain area I believe), Prescott, Sedona area for this XMAS. What would you recommend?

I'd still go with the HT's. They are killer pedals and the MEs are stupid light. You can always try their AE pedals. Those are great too.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

bikerbert
    Canfield Crampon Ultimates are awesome too and about the same price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I decided to go with the HT ME03Ts and am awaiting their arrival. The Karver's have arrived. Nice looking shoe and the sole looks like it will be sticky...but these are definitely not lightweight...although when heading downhill at rather high speeds, sticky counts more than light.

No Clue Crew
    Planning to head for Phoenix (South Mountain area I believe), Prescott, Sedona area for this XMAS. What would you recommend?
    For South Mountain you will want a TOUGH pedal. If you are anything but a stellar rider you'll be beating the sh|t outta them on the rocks left and right. SoMo is pretty unique in it's terrain. Lots of rocks. Lots of technical climbing. Lots of very rocky descents. But, given your bike is 120mm and looks to be more of an XC bike you may not be riding the same trails as my crew does.

Prescott and Sedona are more forgiving on the gear but I haven't ridden either of them as extensively as SoMo. You may like Phoenix Mountains Preserve as well. It has more in the way of "friendlier" trails although there are plenty of trails to eat your bike up. I just destroyed a derailleur for the second time in a row down one trail.

Be sure to chime in on the Arizona board when you visit. You'll likely find plenty of people to hook up with for rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    For South Mountain you will want a TOUGH pedal. If you are anything but a stellar rider you'll be beating the sh|t outta them on the rocks left and right. SoMo is pretty unique in it's terrain. Lots of rocks. Lots of technical climbing. Lots of very rocky descents. But, given your bike is 120mm and looks to be more of an XC bike you may not be riding the same trails as my crew does.

Prescott and Sedona are more forgiving on the gear but I haven't ridden either of them as extensively as SoMo. You may like Phoenix Mountains Preserve as well. It has more in the way of "friendlier" trails although there are plenty of trails to eat your bike up. I just destroyed a derailleur for the second time in a row down one trail.

Be sure to chime in on the Arizona board when you visit. You'll likely find plenty of people to hook up with for rides.
    I go through 2 sets of Wellgo MG1s every year at SoMo, they are inexpensive, light and work great. Pedals are a wear item at SoMo so refuse to buy expensive ones.

I made one disappear the other day when I was pedaling downhill and slammed it into a big rock, whole magnesium body exploded and only thing left was the spindle :-).

bikerbert
    I decided to go with the HT ME03Ts and am awaiting their arrival. The Karver's have arrived. Nice looking shoe and the sole looks like it will be sticky...but these are definitely not lightweight...although when heading downhill at rather high speeds, sticky counts more than light.

very nice, great pedal!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    I go through 2 sets of Wellgo MG1s every year at SoMo, they are inexpensive, light and work great. Pedals are a wear item at SoMo so refuse to buy expensive ones.

I made one disappear the other day when I was pedaling downhill and slammed it into a big rock, whole magnesium body exploded and only thing left was the spindle :-).
    And you haven't even been tempted to try something more expensive and better built to see if they'd last longer? I don't know of anyone that burns through pedals like that even on SoMo. I'm not sure if that means you are a rock star on the bike or an even bigger hack than me

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    And you haven't even been tempted to try something more expensive and better built to see if they'd last longer? I don't know of anyone that burns through pedals like that even on SoMo. I'm not sure if that means you are a rock star on the bike or an even bigger hack than me

^^ The "M" in MG-1 means magnesium, which I believe is lighter than aluminum, but also not as durable or strong. People often complain that they rip pins out of magnesium body pedals so I guess it makes sense you're killing these quick.

Canfield Brothers
    The MG-1 has a thin stop right in front where you hit them. I smashed through a few sets of those years back. Light, Cheep and disposable. Canfield Ultimates all the way.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    I agree with others. I have done a lot of riding on SoMo. A lot of it with MG-1's too. I ripped several pins out, but never broke one. The new generation of thinner pedals are a lot nicer to ride than the MG-1. I have far fewer pedal slips even with moderately thinner pedals. I really like the new Shimano Saints but almost any of the newer, thinner pedals coming out will be tougher.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The pedals arrived yesterday! That was fast shipping from Taiwan.

They certainly are light, look quite nicely made and came with a 1/2 dozen extra pins. It's almost a shame to think about scratching them up. Life has been a little busy lately but I'm hoping that I can get out and try them out properly next weekend. Has anyone tried a shuttle service around Santa Cruz or Downieville? ...or maybe I'll just go back to Northstar....I'm sure I'll find someplace appropriate to scratch up my new pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No not close to being a rock star and after watching some of your videos I can say you are a bigger braver hack than I . I am more like one of Jerry Kids on a bike . I think its the years of riding a vp-free with 15.5 BB then going to a much lower BB. I will have to break down and try some thin alloy pedal next and see if they last longer.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    after watching some of your videos I can say you are a bigger braver hack than I . I am more like one of Jerry Kids on a bike .
    I feel exactly like one of Jerry's Kids after watching my videos...

meow, meow.
    From Eurobike news: Race Face is releasing Aeffect and Atlas flat pedals.

Race Face are also releasing a shed load of new products for 2014 including the Aeffect Pedals, which come in 3 different colour ways, blue, black and red. The pins are replaceable, and the platform is slightly concaved.

Not only are Race Face releasing the Aeffect pedals they're also putting out these Atlas pedals, these are slightly more expensive than the Aeffect, they're about 20 grams lighter than the Aeffect, a larger platform which is also concave. These pins are also replaceable. These pedals are pretty thin, about 14mm at the widest point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What does "double concave" mean (Race Face Atlas pedal)? Does the center still bulge up?

I love the feeling of being almost centered with the spindle that my ultra-thin VP-59 pedals give on my around-town mellow-trail bike. But I don't like the bulge in the center. So it seems I have conflicting requirements: both thin and concave. What is the limit on thinness when looking for a slightly concave shape?

I've read the last 20 or so pages of this thread, and it seems the Crampons are the most popular choice, but they are convex.

Concave platforms include Saints, DMR Vaults and Hope F20s. The DMRs are 17mm thick, the hopes are 16mm thick and I beleive the Saints are 18mm thick. The Race Face Atlas claims a height of 12-14.5mm - but does that come at the cost of a truly concave platform?

meow, meow.
    IMHO Shimano flat pedals are the ones to look at for doubly concave shape. And many BMX plastic pedals, which are not thin at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I love my DMR Vaults, especially how the pins (through-threaded, use multiple length as desired, easy to purchase replacement versions) and concavity give a great grip. And if these are considered thick by some, I never notice the extra few millimeters.

And for the price (just over US$100) I find these to be the best option (over Shimano, which is still a good option).

metrotuned WoS

Good job! What Makes a Pedal Popular?

TooSteep: you mentioned that the "Crampons are the most popular from reading the last 20 pages." There are quite a few pedals that are just as popular and then popularity has a few variables: price, design, durability, availability. Reading reviews and opinions of other MTBR members is helpful (thank you to those posting reviews and photos!), but the dependable way to find out if you like the pedals is to try the pedals on your own bike and preferred terrain.

I haven't tried the Crampons but the thin design is helping their popularity.

Just saw these platform pedals from XPEDO at 260g, magnesium, cromo spindles, cartridge/DU (weak point), 28 pins, 106x100x11. Retails for under $80.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-xpedo-xmx24mc.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    deleted
    Last edited by WilsonDoL; 10-14-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: repeated

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    While each pedal is different, one common note of advice (not just from me, and not shared by all here) is to that a pedal with the cartridge/DU "housing" extending the entire pedal width is a key feature. I made it a requirement for my recent purchase.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I do NOT advise using magnesium pedals for aggressive trail riding. Since this thread is in the downhill forum, I'm assuming you guys will be beating the snot out of your pedals. Magnesium can only take a few decent hits before pins start getting torn out and pedal bodies start cracking. Stick to a solid aluminum platform and ignore the super lightweight pedals if you plan to beat on them. The Crampons are popular because they're light, thin AND bulletproof

mtbr member
    May 2009
    anyone have any thoughts on nylon body pedals?

I'm checking these out:
    Mesa MP Platform Pedal with Replaceable Pins | Fyxation

light and 105mm wide (is that wide?) I've really liked the Deity Decoys but too cheap to spend the money. These will go on a transition double and will see a lot of jumps and drops. mostly smooth/buffed trails.

meow, meow.
    Well I'm about to try some nylon composite, doubly concave BMX pedals, with molded pins though. Maybe I will like them (grip is suspect), and they should really extend the life of shoe soles. I'll have to test it in the long run of course, what turns out cheaper: replacing shoes or replacing plastic pedals.

Trying to save shoes has the additional benefit if one is used to a nicely worn-in pair and has trouble getting used to new ones.

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast