Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1585
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    Is there no words at all on the VP-DH1 pedal? VP Bicycle Components
    VP Pilot Super Flat Pedals - 2013 Mountain Bike Components at Eurobike 2012 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB
    They look sweet. Would really like to get a pair (to first try out on the bike of my (pedal-)striking girlfriend.. :-)
    Hi Mr. Gunnar Westholm,

I was also very interested in this pedal and the product manager at VP Components was kind enough to share information about the pedal with me. Unfortunately, while they loved how this 6mm thick pedal performed they never could get the bearings to last long enough to warrant taking the product to market. Erik stated that they would use what they learned in working on this pedal in other products down the road.

To my knowledge the thinnest currently available pedal, using the standard connection to the crankarm, is 10mm. I've been exceedingly happy with the Crampon Ultimate and have them on 4 of my bikes.

Good luck in your search!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

metrotuned WoS
    @powderturns: The XPEDO's look batman gotham style like. Good lookers. Check in with feedback!

@VP: re magnesium Crampon's, I like that they're lighter than the Ultimates, however, the painted surface and DU bushings are a huge turn off. Lack of reliability for just day to day urban riding, even!
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I attended the Bike Dealer Camp this weekend in PC and while demoing some bikes I used some different pedals (I have DVR Vaults on my 5.7).

Spank Pikes (on a 429c) - these were OK, not great. The screws provided an OK grip, but the pedal is not concave (like my Vaults) and that made a difference.

HT (AE01 or AE02??) (on an Intense Tracer) - I didn't like these at all, my foot was sliding all over the pedal, and I suspect part of the reason is that the pedal is not concave, and that it has no screws in the center part of the pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    [QUOTE=illnacord;10566711]@powderturns: The XPEDO's look batman gotham style like. Good lookers. Check in with feedback!

I like them so far. I live in Calgary and have just been using them for local rips on the city trails, so not as rough as mtn trails (but still mtn biking - not paved pathways haha), but they grip well and i like the platform size and style. I swapped out all stock pins on the right pedal for xpedo's split pins. honestly, no perceptible difference in grip, but time will tell. I think you could also use some machined pins if you reallly wanted something longer to use. i run 5.10s, but had one ride in my lousy skate shoes - no problems there either. for the weight and price, I'd say they're hard to beat... going to nelson next week so they will get a proper beating there.

metrotuned WoS

Idea! Dreadnought Pedals (Superstar UK)

The dreadnought pedal is milled from solid 6061 aluminium billet, concave fit for your foot due to the varying pin height, two pin colours from red, black, lime, blue, gold, electric blue, silver and orange. Pedals available in red, raw aluminium or black anodized, optional Titanium axle upgrade. 460g per pair, 2 year warranty and crash replacement warranty.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dreadnought-superstar-uk-pedals.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    The dreadnought pedal is milled from solid 6061 aluminium billet, concave fit for your foot due to the varying pin height, two pin colours from red, black, lime, blue, gold, electric blue, silver and orange. Pedals available in red, raw aluminium or black anodized, optional Titanium axle upgrade. 460g per pair, 2 year warranty and crash replacement warranty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dreadnought Superstar UK pedals.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	822598
    WTF is this ? Looks like it came out of a box of Legos lol .

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Why can't someone just make a pedal that has a nice big platform with solid pins that can take abuse and is less than $100?

Something like the atomlab GI pedal but without the soft butter cast aluminum body and weak spindle and with solid pins that screw in from the bottom.
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-20121216_152145.jpg

I thought that the saint was the answer but then I went to the lbs to try them out and the platform is tiny.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianBarbarian View Post
    Why can't someone just make a pedal that has a nice big platform with solid pins that can take abuse and is less than $100?
    You get what you pay for. I don't know how many pedals you've destroyed so far but my guess is if you'd paid $125 to $150 for a set of Spikes or Podiums you'd still be rocking them...

That's the problem with a lot of people. Myself included so I'm not singling anyone out. We don't want to spend the big bucks on the better gear but then wind up spending as much or more replacing inferior products.

I tried a pair of Deity knockoffs off Ebay to see if I wanted to get back on platforms and they worked alright but after a month or so I was replacing 2-4 pins per pedal per ride. At the same time I bought a pair of Fox riding shoes off Chainlove. They were alright.

Dropped the dough on a pair of Spikes and 510s and I stick to them very well and I've been beating the sh|t outta them for almost two years and replaced exactly TWO pins in that time.

You get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    You get what you pay for. I don't know how many pedals you've destroyed so far but my guess is if you'd paid $125 to $150 for a set of Spikes or Podiums you'd still be rocking them...

That's the problem with a lot of people. Myself included so I'm not singling anyone out. We don't want to spend the big bucks on the better gear but then wind up spending as much or more replacing inferior products.

I tried a pair of Deity knockoffs off Ebay to see if I wanted to get back on platforms and they worked alright but after a month or so I was replacing 2-4 pins per pedal per ride. At the same time I bought a pair of Fox riding shoes off Chainlove. They were alright.

Dropped the dough on a pair of Spikes and 510s and I stick to them very well and I've been beating the sh|t outta them for almost two years and replaced exactly TWO pins in that time.

No, not really. I've owned 2 sets of Podiums in the last 2 years and none lasted a full season of singletrack riding in the Midwest (from May to September, weekends only). Grip was insane, so was the pedal design and overall feel. What they lacked was long term durability. And customer service. The miniscule bearings were the first to go always. And I paid on average about $150+ for each pair.

Now lets compare a set of cheap $50 HT Nano pedals I've gotten on ebay 3 years ago. They are still spinning smooth, zero play, and all my pins have been intact. Although I did replace them with longer pins, but still, they are beat up a ton more than the fancy boutique Podiums and still spinning. Don't knock the 17mm thin "cheap" pedal category. Same experience I've had with the Kona Wah Wah, another HT rebrand that required zero maintenance, although the stock pins again were too small.

I have yet to read about any 11-13mm thin pedal out there that isn't plagued with some sort of bearing or durability problems. And prices just keep rising on them.

mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

I don't know...my Crampon Ultimates are rockin, problem free.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    No, not really. I've owned 2 sets of Podiums in the last 2 years and none lasted a full season of singletrack riding in the Midwest (from May to September, weekends only). Grip was insane, so was the pedal design and overall feel. What they lacked was long term durability. And customer service. The miniscule bearings were the first to go always. And I paid on average about $150+ for each pair.
    Just to balance it, my 2011 Podiums are still kicking and the bearings are still turning (although by now they might just be lumps of metal and grease), through Yorkshire weather and grit too!

If I have one complaint about Podiums the platform isn't quite wide enough, the big bearing gets in the way a bit inboard and they need another centimetre or so outboard for my giant sasquatch feet.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Crampon Ultimates are the best pedal available...still.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

So far so good on my Podiums. Been riding them since last fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    @VP: re magnesium Crampon's, I like that they're lighter than the Ultimates, however, the painted surface and DU bushings are a huge turn off. Lack of reliability for just day to day urban riding, even!
    They have been extremely reliable for me, and I'm a big rider in very dusty nasty conditions. They develop a few thousandths of an inch of play as they break in, and they stay that way. They don't get worse for a LONG time. Fantastic pedal, and they've proven to be very reliable for myself, and about 5 other people I know that use them.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I got my Podiums in June 2010, 3yrs later they're working like the day I got them, albeit a little dinged up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bought my Shimano Saints in February so 6 months of use....still going strong (as you would expect), no foot slippage, and compared to some Hope pedals i saw (120 for a pair) i can get three pairs!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Well, I'd bet you are the exception and not the rule. I doubt that Point One, or anyone, could make a mid- to high-dollar pedal that breaks very easily and consistently and stay in business.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

I'm glad you're happy with your spikes but neither of the pedals you suggested are even close to the size of the GIs. Spikes have a 90mmx90mm platform with a huge lump by the axle and almost no support aside from the pins themselves. There is almost no platform under your foot.

The only high end pedals with decent size are the twenty6 and DMR vault. twenty6 actually lists support only by pins as a feature. Vaults are nice but again much smaller actual area of platform support than the GIs.

When I first saw the saints I liked the adjustable short pins and massive flat areas for support. I almost bought some from jenson without trying them. Then I went an lbs(Herb Bauer in Fresno) and noticed that their prices were pretty much the same as jenson. I was going to buy them on the spot until I stepped on one and realized that the platform is much smaller than my shoes.

No Clue Crew
    I'm glad you're happy with your spikes but neither of the pedals you suggested are even close to the size of the GIs. Spikes have a 90mmx90mm platform with a huge lump by the axle and almost no support aside from the pins themselves. There is almost no platform under your foot.
    I'm not sure what pedal you are talking about but it certainly doesn't sound like the Spikes.

I just measured mine a couple weeks ago for someone in this thread. They are 111mm square. There's no "lump" anywhere

Unless you are talking about the spot where the bearings are and the axle screws into the crank. You would never have your foot misplaced so far as to notice that.

and I have no idea what you mean by "no support aside form the pins." It's a big pedal under your foot. The pins sink into your sole as well as the sole compressing which means your foot is resting on the platform. Do you think your shoes rest comfortably atop the pins without compressing? You are actually on the platform.

They are big, flat and thin with plenty of pins and traction and one of the best bangs for your buck out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Post a pic then.

From spank website 90+x 90+.

And it's obvious from the pic that the lump overlaps the inner pins.

As far as the size of the platform the only part of the platform with any flat area is the front right where there are 3 pins.

Again I 'm glad you're happy with your spikes. I'm not trying to say that they're not good pedals they're just not what I'm looking for.

mtbr member

I spent about 3 months on Spikes after having my bike with Crampon Ultimates stolen. The Spikes don't compare when it comes to grip. In that time I slipped off my Spikes 5-6 times, resulting in gnarly pedal/shin conflict. I'm sure there are some technique issues involved in these mishaps, but the regular grub screws in the Crampons are much better.

IMHO, both pedals are awesome, but there's a feeling of the Crampons disappearing under my foot and feeling better connected to my bike, not having almost any strikes and never slipping. With the Spikes, I'm always aware of the pedal...don't know if that makes sense to anyone.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was going to buy them on the spot until I stepped on one and realized that the platform is much smaller than my shoes.
    I know it's counter-intuitive, but I'm pretty sold on the small-pedal idea now. It makes it so easy to feel exactly where my foot is on the pedal. The drawback is that I notice being just a little off-center... but the advantage is that when I'm just a little off-center, I feel it, so I fix it.

I'm moving these back onto my main bike before my next ride:

Bi King HT AX01 MTB BMX Pedals Red 363G TB01B | eBay

No Clue Crew
    From spank website 90+x 90+.
    Yeah, I saw that and I have no idea what they are measuring...

Not sure what I was measuring the first time but that's approximately 111mm wide and 108mm tall.

And it's obvious from the pic that the lump overlaps the inner pins.
    No, it doesn't.

As far as the size of the platform the only part of the platform with any flat area is the front right where there are 3 pins.
    I'm not sure why you think having the platform actually be a flat platform is necessary. Your foot doesn't need that much support under the pedal. But, we all get things in our head that probably don't matter.

I never like the Crampons because the pins screwed in from the top instead of the bottom like the Spikes. Likely doesn't matter but I had a hard on for bottom install with a big head so I got the Spikes.

Just out of curiosity, what pedal fits your criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I spent about 3 months on Spikes after having my bike with Crampon Ultimates stolen. The Spikes don't compare when it comes to grip. In that time I slipped off my Spikes 5-6 times, resulting in gnarly pedal/shin conflict. I'm sure there are some technique issues involved in these mishaps, but the regular grub screws in the Crampons are much better.
    I've never ridden Crampons but will never believe that those little pins are gonna hold me on the pedals all the time under any condition. Any pedals. I slip off occasionally and after the first time I wear my Rage shin guards in addition the my Kyle Strait knees and Troy Lee elbow/forearm guards every ride.

Maybe the Crampons are better for grip. I don't know and don't have another $150 in my pocket with nothing to do so that I can try them out. But, I'll likely always wear my shin guards.

metrotuned WoS
    NWS: I want to see those triangularly small footprint pedals on your mountain bike. Can you take a pic and post? Small pedals are cool if you have a lot of spring in your shoes (like an SPD pedal with a carbon soled cycling shoe), but with a small platform and flexy shoes, you do lose quite a bit of efficiency, not to mention creating a whole lotta' hot points in your foot. You'll know what I mean after riding 50 miles on a track bike with quill style traditional toe clipped pedals.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure why you think having the platform actually be a flat platform is necessary. Your foot doesn't need that much support under the pedal. But, we all get things in our head that probably don't matter.

I never like the Crampons because the pins screwed in from the top instead of the bottom like the Spikes. Likely doesn't matter but I had a hard on for bottom install with a big head so I got the Spikes.

The Pins on the Crampons have Allen heads on both ends- so you can always remove them. FYI

Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast