Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1552
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I've got dents in my bones from hitting my pedals. Friend that just started riding slipped off the front and looked like Wolverine attacked his calf muscle.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    I've got dents in my bones from hitting my pedals. Friend that just started riding slipped off the front and looked like Wolverine attacked his calf muscle.
    I wear Five Tens and have never slipped off my pedals. Walking the bike is when I typically have run-ins with the pedals.

mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyri View Post
    Walking the bike is when I typically have run-ins with the pedals.
    So annoying.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    So annoying.
    Walking the bike, or a pedal eating the skin off your leg?

(Both suck.)

mtbr member

Walking the bike, or a pedal eating the skin off your leg?

(Both.)
    I seem to be more aware of it on the trail. The worst pedal strikes seem to be when negotiating doors, gates, or narrow walkways on the way to or from my car and house.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I seem to be more aware of it on the trail. The worst pedal strikes seem to be when negotiating doors, gates, or narrow walkways on the way to or from my car and house.
    ^^^same.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

I got the VP 001s for all mountain riding. Purchased them for 50$ and noticed right away the pins were very short and didn't get the locked in grip I wanted for uphill climbs. I purchased M4 x 8mm pins and swapped 5 on each side. Removed 2 center pins. Using these with Teva crank shoes they grip very well now. And they are very light pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-uploadfromtaptalk1369448007163.jpg  

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-uploadfromtaptalk1369448024822.jpg  

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-uploadfromtaptalk1369448041069.jpg  

mtbr member
    I wear Five Tens and have never slipped off my pedals. Walking the bike is when I typically have run-ins with the pedals.
    Hi Kyri,
    Which Five Ten shoes do you prefer?
    Thanks and best regards
    Barry, 67, 2012 Trek 7.4FX
    New Jersey,USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Step 1: Get a pair of Five Ten MTB shoes (whatever style suits your fit and fancy) - It's the grippy rubber sole that does the work.

Step 2: Shop for your favorite platform pedal after you get the Five Tens. So far my favorite have been Transition Step Down Pedals. Made by Transition Bikes, only $59, great concave design, fit my foot super well, very grippy, plus the sold 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm pins depending on your preferance. Only problem is, I don't think they're making them any more.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by flan48 View Post
    Hi Kyri,
    Which Five Ten shoes do you prefer?
    Thanks and best regards
    I wear men's Daescents, the women's feel too narrow for me. I don't think they make them any more, though. I like that they aren't mtb-specific, so they have a pretty flexible sole- I think it gives good connection to the bike. Not a fan of really stiff-soled shoes. I have two pair and have been alternating them for the past 4 years (and I wear them off the bike, too, as they are the most comfortable shoes I have). The rubber on the bottom is amazing- barely any wear; can't tell they are worn with super spiky pedals. =)

LCW
    mtbr member

The FiveTen Impacts are awesome. I recently got a pair of Sam Hill's version. Super comfy and grip like glue to my Saint pedals!
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

beater
    I've had 5.10 Impacts and Freeriders. I switched to Sombrio shoes this season, and after 2 months, I'm pleased. Lighter, more comfortable, better looking, and they don't collect anywhere near as much dirt/debris. They're not quite as grippy as Impacts, but the margin isn't big enough to offset the advantages already listed.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member

I ride freeriders and love them. Switched to a DC skate shoe I had lying around, but found them a little too flexible. I actually appreciate the stiffness and robust qualities of the 510. Also, whacking your toe on a rock doesn't feel good in a lighter shoe.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

High Desert MTBer
    I am looking at some thinnies myself, gravitating to the Falt Irons... any opinions on these?

I use 5.10 hiking or cross training shoes to ride. Pair I have now are Insights, I find more cheap deals on these rather than 5.10 bike shoes, and the sole is the same. They are more robust for my riding style in the AZ rocks too.
    It's all Here. Now.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I've had 5.10 Impacts and Freeriders. I switched to Sombrio shoes this season, and after 2 months, I'm pleased. Lighter, more comfortable, better looking, and they don't collect anywhere near as much dirt/debris. They're not quite as grippy as Impacts, but the margin isn't big enough to offset the advantages already listed.
    Thanks for turning me on to Sombrios. Which ones do you have?

beater

Loams, but I bought them originally as town shoes. I'd buy the Shazams for the lace cover if I were doing it over again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Loams, but I bought them originally as town shoes. I'd buy the Shazams for the lace cover if I were doing it over again.
    Have you seen Sombrios new updated offerings? Definitely feeling the white/gum low tops they offer.

beater

No, I haven't, but that explains why everyone was blowing out last year's inventory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey guys and gals,

Can anyone speak to a comparison of the VP Vices to the Shimano Saints? I am between these two pedals right now. I wear a size 13US and I have the problem of shoes hitting cranks on my Heckler and I am trying to find a pedal that may help me there. The Saints I know for sure will be alright, but can anyone tell me about the Vices? I tried looking for Q-factor, but had no luck.

mtbr member
    Lowered price. Need these gone soon.

mtbr member

Just bought a pair of spanks and love them. Would totally jump on your deal, euro, if not for bad timing.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    So I might as well unsubscribe from this thread. I have crossed over to the dark side with no intentions of ever coming back lol. Sold off my recently purchased DMR Vaults and my Point One Podiums, along with rare bearing removal tool and an extra bearing rebuild kit. Along with the Shimano AM41 shoes. I just couldn't find my regular flow this season on flats after trying numerous flat pedal shoes and pedals. And while my old previous set up of Vans Era/Authentics and Podiums was super grippy, they were way too soft to pedal for longer trips and I went through 2 pairs a season.

Plus after trying quite a few flat pedals out there over the past few seasons, I've learned if you're looking for a robust and maintenance free flat pedal, stick with the HT Nano series or Kona Wah Wah. The former I still have on my brother's bike and spin smooth after 2 years of doing absolutely nothing go them although they have suffered a ton of rock strikes as it shows.

And while my favorite pedal feel were the Point One Podiums, these were the most expensive pedals I've bought for $185 and had the worst track record for falling apart on me. First set required a full bearing rebuild after 5 months of riding, although I'm sure they exploded sooner but I never took them apart during the season to check lol. Point One rebuild them free under warranty but took some time trying to get in contact with them. The rebuilt set lasted one ride this winter after the same driveside bearings exploded after 1 snow ride (took them apart just to check). Kinda ridiculous right? Well Point One stood by their product and replaced the set but again took forever as bearings were backordered and they shipped me the wrong finish initially so that took two more weeks to correct. Hopefully they can improve their durability with the new Podiums coming out next year that I've posted here previously.

Which leads me to why I've tried out going clipless, I've kinda had it up to here trying to find a good shoe and pedal combo that would last, plus over the years I've spent quite a $$$ in search of that combo. I purchased a set of XC/Trail style Giro Carbide SPD shoes, Shimano XT 785 Trail SPD pedals, and Shimano SH56 cleats for less than a set of Point One Podiums and it's been exactly what I've been looking for all these years. There is definitely a learning curve to riding clipless, but I'm already ripping the downhills with more confidence than on flats, not to mention being able to "pop" the bike much higher now as well. Zero pedal slips and after 4-5 hour rides, I'm coming back to the car with feet that are a lot less fatigued than before. So that only leaves one person on my local trails that rips on flats and that's my brother, but he's never switching he said.

mtbr member
    Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 ... LastLast