Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
    NoVA MTBer
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki
    Where did you get your sub-4's? I found some at goose creek cycles online for $85 shipped. Was gonna get them but have never ordered from them. They look great for the price.

http://store.goosecreekcycles.com/sh...rce=googlebase
    ride-this.com has em for $74... Not sure about availability though... A steal at that price b/c they are a sweet set of pedals that weigh only 350g...

Now with More Wood
    soooo....calling all the pedal gurus (addicts...):

-I notice that the majority of pedals seems to have a shape where the platform curves away from the crank arms (a la Podium). I think this might bother me - the Wahwahs I run now are the opposite, the platform curves back in from the spindle towards the cranks, giving you more support for the inside of the foot as you move them in close to the crank arm (which I happen to like to do). So the question is: do any of you notice this/are you bothered by it?

-most pedals do not have pins under the ball of the foot. Again, that is something that I think would bother me - but I don't know. Maybe with a good pin pattern around the edges, the grip is enough? My Wahwahs have 2 pins in the middle...I can't say for sure if it's better, but I do know that even in sticky mud, they work well.

Any input on these 2 points? I am looking at those new DMRs (the Vault), they look like they should be good pedals, but because of the 2 points I listed above, I hesitate...and they are an expensive experiment, so I don't want to just throw myself into it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-pedals-side-side.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just ordered a pair of Podium's for my new build, and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

My go to pedal for the past year on all my bikes has been the Answer FR Rove:

Similar in platform shape to your Kona pedals, except the platform comes out at a 90 degree from the spindle instead of angling back toward the crank arm.

In my experience, as someone who dabs a lot or corners moto style, I sometimes find myself hitting my heel on the crank arms as I'm replacing my feet and trying to find the "sweet spot" on the platform. In my opinion, the Podiums with their platform angled away from the crank a bit will give your feet a bit more clearance between the platform and crank arm, making it less likely you will be stepping on the cranks when you pull your feet back on.

As far as pins go, it is all personal preference. If you do ride with your feet regularly off the pedals, there is such a thing as too much grip. I've never had any problems with slipping a pedal on my Rove's and do not think it will be a problem with the Podium. As an alternative, Point 1 Racing does offer some longer pins for the Podium. I ordered a set from them last week.

If you haven't already, read this review of the Podium on pinkbike.com:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/point-o...view-2010.html

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    -I notice that the majority of pedals seems to have a shape where the platform curves away from the crank arms (a la Podium). I think this might bother me - the Wahwahs I run now are the opposite, the platform curves back in from the spindle towards the cranks, giving you more support for the inside of the foot as you move them in close to the crank arm (which I happen to like to do). So the question is: do any of you notice this/are you bothered by it?
    The difference is that the Kona has exposed spindle before it enters the pedal body, whereas the Podium does not, same as on my prerunners. So on those style pedals you don't stand on the platform right next to the crankarm or you'll rub your shoes on the crankarm/ chainstay. For me it took a bit to get used to, but wasn't a big deal.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

brownpow! (?)
    Been pretty happy with my new used Twenty6 prerunners, i need to play around with pins a bit for better grip on the real bumpy DH sheeit.

They're super light, and deflect off stuff well.

mtbr member
    Iceman, one of my bikes has the older Deity pedals that cut back towards the cranks and one bike has the new style which removed that bit of material to save weight. I thought it would be an issue but it has not been one at all. Love the pedals.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B.
    Iceman, one of my bikes has the older Deity pedals that cut back towards the cranks and one bike has the new style which removed that bit of material to save weight. I thought it would be an issue but it has not been one at all. Love the pedals.
    Thanks man. That was my question exactly. Looks like I'll have to succumb to my acute case of pedal upgradeitis then... (which is really quite silly since I love my Wahwahs...but what'r you gunna do...the only way to cure blingitis is to buy something...).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anybody else on the Specialized Lo Pro 2's???

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I'm convinced these Spank Spikes are going to be a winner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All I care about is durability. I hate when a pedals develops play after a few rides. Really don't want to be rebuilding a pedal every few weeks because it looks cool and is super thin. My question is which pedal gives the most longevity? I do like the idea of the Sunline V-1 with sealed ball and needle bearing instead of du.

mtbr member
    -most pedals do not have pins under the ball of the foot. Again, that is something that I think would bother me - but I don't know. Maybe with a good pin pattern around the edges, the grip is enough? My Wahwahs have 2 pins in the middle...I can't say for sure if it's better, but I do know that even in sticky mud, they work well.
    With my limited experience (snow riding) I'm already pretty certain that I like my flats with pins under the ball of the foot a lot more than my more blingy pedals that do not have pins there. My pedals without those pins are Superstar Nanos and yes they have good grip but not in the middle.

metrotuned WoS

spank spike pedals

@coopie, yeah, valid points.DU bushings have their place but are something to avoid for majority of riders.

@jasevr4, the Spank Spikes are promising. The axle interface without the wrench flats is a direct copy of the Podium1's. No, not influenced or inspired, straight up copied. The platform is the former, and the price is quoted at 120= which is closer to the real deal than a copy. There is an update, with a single pin near the center spindle.This was a suggestion made by users of the newer styled flats that are posted in the OP's offerings.

A pic of the Spank Spike pedals from Bike Rumor:

Source: Interbike Oct.2010

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    -most pedals do not have pins under the ball of the foot.
    Dunno if it matters, but it seemed suspicious to me, too.
    I ordered a set of VP-001s to find out.
    Might have them in time for the weekend...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=38284

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    Dunno if it matters, but it seemed suspicious to me, too.
    I ordered a set of VP-001s to find out.
    Might have them in time for the weekend...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=38284
    Those pedals look to good to be true for 60 bucks. 13mm thickness, 360 grams, pins everywhere. Let us know how they work for you once you get to try them out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki
    Those pedals look to good to be true for 60 bucks. 13mm thickness, 360 grams, pins everywhere. Let us know how they work for you once you get to try them out.
    Agreed. These look like they'd be worth trying. The do have the old style allen head pins that don't go clear through the pedal but other than that they look the biz. Good color options too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-vpp-001-pedals.jpg  

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    The axle interface without the wrench flats is a direct copy of the Podium1's. No, not influenced or inspired, straight up copied.
    Podiums haven't been out long enough to claim to be the first with that axle design. I have plenty of CB pedals with the same type axle.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dangit - now I don't know which to get. The sub-4s look sweet but those VP-001s look mighty tasty too.

Gonna finally bite the bullet and go the platform route as I think once I am used to them (been clipless for a long time) I think I will like the freedom on my DH bike.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp29
    Dangit - now I don't know which to get. The sub-4s look sweet but those VP-001s look mighty tasty too.

Gonna finally bite the bullet and go the platform route as I think once I am used to them (been clipless for a long time) I think I will like the freedom on my DH bike.
    I was about to pull the trigger on the sub4 but then saw this and got squeamish. I just ordered Wellgo b030 pedals instead for $53 shipped. We'll see how they perform.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    I was about to pull the trigger on the sub4 but then saw this and got squeamish. I just ordered Wellgo b030 pedals instead for $53 shipped. We'll see how they perform.

I've been looking at the Sub4s too, and appreciate the post/info/alternative Buddhak. I had been kind of looking for Sub4-like alternatives for comparison purposes, so appreciate the Wellgo option. Tx.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    So how fast does Straitlines develop play in normal situations? I dont do 50 foot gap jumps, just an average dh rider. Sick of play developing in my pedals. Two sets of 50/50 both x and xx, two sets of Funn Slojams loose balls, atomlabs, and old Easton Cullies. The CB 50/50 xx was the worest so far had so much play after one ride thought my bike was falling apart. On my second warranty replacement.

I'm either getting a set of Straitlines (you get what you pay for) Or Sunline V-1's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie
    All I care about is durability. I hate when a pedals develops play after a few rides. Really don't want to be rebuilding a pedal every few weeks because it looks cool and is super thin. My question is which pedal gives the most longevity? I do like the idea of the Sunline V-1 with sealed ball and needle bearing instead of du.
    To my knowledge, Burgtec MK3's are the only pedals with a 3 year warranty on the spindle and body. That should matter if you are looking for durability. Smash them on a rock, no problem. You'll probably break the rock. If you smash anything else on a rock, well, tough luck. I bought a couple sets of Burgtecs and love them. On my DJ (overkill) and DH bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-img_2137.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Those burgtec pedals are expensive. CRC $214. Good reviews I have to say, might have to work a little harder and save.

brownpow! (?)
    Sheeeit, if you're gonna spend over $200, get the Twenty6's, they're plenty burly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-gruen.jpg  

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Agreed. These look like they'd be worth trying. The do have the old style allen head pins that don't go clear through the pedal but other than that they look the biz. Good color options too.
    Great size, weight and price - nice find. Too bad about the pins - I already wrote off that design as being incompatible with my riding style and rocky terrain.
    Responds to gravity

ids
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I don't see why the twenty6 pre-runners weren't in this? They are THE best flat I have ever run, not to mention some pros are switching to them. I have an identical colored pair to the set on the Litespeed above. they are awesome flats...

Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast