Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1585
    inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

2 years on my Straitline de Facto pedals and they've been serviced twice and rebuilt DU bushings once. Put clips on my bike recently, but there are about 2,500 miles on them in conditions that are mostly dry and dusty with some creek crossings, so they always got a mix. They've stayed true to me.

mtbr member
    ^ Appropriate user name there, Dick.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    lolz
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveDick View Post
    I usually just read and absorb but I've gone through this thread end to end and some of these "concerns" want to make me puke. "Too heavy", "too thick", "does not come in red". Are you f'n kidding me. If it spins, it grips and it does not break its a keeper. Some of you guys need to park your dora the explorer Walmart bike in the garage for a while ... just kidding ... maybe not.
    You forgot that It has to look the **** and have a big platform. MassiveDick, you really should have known!
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 05-13-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

meow, meow.
    Jedem das seine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveDick View Post
    but you is all that shawn ... you is
    Me is. Thanks man! You is too.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

beater

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

I've seen several posts in the last few weeks about how scary looking the pins are on flats in general, and Crampon Ultimates specifically. Not in this thread, apparently (I just looked and didn't see the posts I was thinking of), but since this is the mothership, I'll post here.

I slipped a pedal on a landing last night, and whacked my shin pretty hard. This was the result:

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368652745.982576.jpg

It hurt when I got home, and it was swelling, but that's it. If I had been on my other bike with my twenty6 pedals, my shin would look like I kicked a badger. Mine are from the first batch of Ultimates, and I have the pointed pins installed point up, but the points are probably a lot rounder than the edge of a set screw. They aren't as grippy as my Prerunners or Predators; that's the trade off.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    ^ You're a bad ass!!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

squish, squish in da fish
    get your feet off the counter!

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    ^ You're a bad ass!!
    My dog thinks so, but he's the only one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    My dog thinks so, but he's the only one.
    Lol!!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I slipped a pedal on a landing last night, and whacked my shin pretty hard. This was the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368652745.982576.jpg 
Views:	773 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	799300
    Sixsixone Riot Shin Guard 2012 > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I've gotten worse once or twice. Now I NEVER ride without them.

beater
    Oh, I've gotten far worse. I've had blood soaking into my sock on more than one occasion. It just comes with the territory, IMO. I pretty much always wear long knee pads (Dainese Oak Pro), but they only come about half-way down. I have a pair of Fox Launch knee/shins, but they suck for pedaling so I pretty much never wear them anymore.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    I have Azonic Flat Irons on my bike. I have only ridden them a handful of times, and the bearings are already loose and click with every stroke (talk about annoying). Does anyone else have this problem? I wrote to Azonic, because at almost $150 for the set, it seems ridiculous that I should be having problems already. The pedals are amazingly thin and really comfortable for multi-hour rides. I still haven't heard back from the manufacturer...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyri View Post
    I have Azonic Flat Irons on my bike. I have only ridden them a handful of times, and the bearings are already loose and click with every stroke (talk about annoying). Does anyone else have this problem? I wrote to Azonic, because at almost $150 for the set, it seems ridiculous that I should be having problems already. The pedals are amazingly thin and really comfortable for multi-hour rides. I still haven't heard back from the manufacturer...
    One day, the entire World will realize that the 9/16" threaded interface between pedals and cranks should be relegated to the dust bins of history, just like freewheels and cantilever brakes; and my spindleless bearing design that I invented for the FlyPaper Pedal will become the new, super-durable standard!

Then the spindly 9/16" threaded crap will only be found on MallWart bikes...
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm sure we'd all like an update on what you've got cooking lately Doc. I love thin pedals and agree the 9/16 standard is stupid.

Got any screen shots or teaser spy photos?

mtbr member
    Is there some new advancements here? Or is this still something from a few years ago that just didn't fly? Oh, that was a good one! Lol!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

bikerbert

Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Magnesium pedals don't last long in my experience. Simple rock strikes turn into pins being torn out of the pedal body. I wouldn't run them on my terrain but if you ride mainly dirt with no rocks involved they might just be the holy grail I'll stick to my "normal" Ultimates, uh thank you

+1 for Magnesium pedals: they spark when you're night riding and clip rocks!
    Agreed! My HT ME01T's already lost a chunk and a pin. No more mag pedals. I really liked the HTs too. More than the 50/50's and Straightline Amps ( too narrow and the pins did t really hook up well with my Teva Links).

I'm looking for new pedals. It's down to HT AE03's (I really liked the size of the platform), Canfield Bros or Spank Spikes.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert View Post

I'm looking for new pedals. It's down to HT AE03's (I really liked the size of the platform), Canfield Bros or Spank Spikes.
    These three are my top 3, though I've only owned the Crampon Ultimates. I loved the feel, but they kept developing play, which bugged me a little, for the price.

A LBS carries the HTs and they look and feel, frankly, superior to the Crampon Ultimates, just out of the box. The CUs were thinner, and a little but lighter. I might have bought a pair except that....

I found a shop that will sell me the Spanks for $100. I'm gonna give these a shot on my new RIP 9 build. Never has a week seemed so far away.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

bikerbert

I really liked the HT's, just bummed out after only three weeks a piece broke off after a hit. I like the bigger platform of the Ultimates as well.

That's one of the things that got me with the Amps. Great pedal, just too narrow for me individually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got the DMR Vaults, found an online price of just over $100 - love that the flip pins are through-mounted with hex-setup. There's still a lot of snow here, so I won't be able to test them out for a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2011

pedals bro

the Azonic Flat Iron pedals are excellent, only 10mm thick and offer a few different pin configurations. maximum durability. The feel is connected to your bike with precision control. Id vote for these as the best thus far. They are 345g without mud. the thin profile offers more ground/rock clearance on lower dh bikes.

LCW
    mtbr member

Great bang for the buck is Saint MX80's. Can find them for under $80 no problem. Running them without the pin spacers - gives some great grip.

2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

RideDirt
    I just picked up some Shimano Saint pedals as well ... Wish they would send the pedals WITHOUT the spacers in them lol , had to undo them and redo it . Loving the quality of them , pin spacing looks good, platform is nice and wide , and one thing that i LOVE is that they are not so close to the cranks when installed . I have wide feet and i dont hug my bike when im riding , like to be loose and move around so these should be fun. Giving them a try this weekend

LCW
    mtbr member
    Wasn't a big deal to take them out... did it while watching tv.
    The inner ones didn't have the spacers already. And pins at the spindle ends weren't installed on mine. Probably a bit too aggressive without the spacers as the default setup.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 ... LastLast