Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1510
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    anyone know the thicknesss and width & length of the Hope platforms? Didn't see that info on the Hope site.
    Just measured mine... they are 100m x 100m and thickness is a consistent 14mm...

squish, squish in da fish
    not like 2mm is a biggie, but i got 16mm on my hopes all day. i do have a chinese caliper so that might explain it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    But are fully sealed bearings always going to be better than DU bushings? With my Podium experience, they run 4 sealed bearings, 1 big near the crank, and 3 small ones on the axle end, and I've found those to self-explode at different rates. First set lasted maybe half a season of riding, and the second set lasted 2 rides this winter before Point1 finally ended up replacing my pedals with new ones. The old set does make a nice paper weight on my desk though lol and I have yet to ride the replacement warranty set. What led me to the DMR Vaults was in fact their simple 1 big bearing and 1 big DU bushing that doesn't require more than a regrease during the season. I haven't stumbled upon any threads of them wearing out too quickly unlike the miniscule DU bushings on pedals like the HT AE01 EVO and the like.
    my experiences w/ DU bushings are they wear out way to fast, some on a virgin rides. as far as the bearings go, there are many that look alike but def dont perform the same. im sure you are aware of this. even "high end" products sometimes skimp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    not like 2mm is a biggie, but i got 16mm on my hopes all day. i do have a chinese caliper so that might explain it, lol.
    Those sound like pre-production measurements (just kidding)... it was dark in my garage when I measured them... me bad.

meow, meow.
    FWIW, DU bushings on generic 17 mm Taiwanese pedals (but not the newer "super thin" pedals, which I have no experience with, yet) typically last much better than described above. And the plastic bushings on Straitline pedals too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    FWIW, DU bushings on generic 17 mm Taiwanese pedals (but not the newer "super thin" pedals, which I have no experience with, yet) typically last much better than described above. And the plastic bushings on Straitline pedals too.
    Likewise, I have a set of HT Nano AN01 pedals (1 DU bush) on my other bike and they've been spinning just as good when they were new. And that was 2 years ago. Zero maintenance. And I mean zero, I've never taken them apart for anything. Ton of abuse too. And they cost 1/4 of how much I've spent on the Podiums if you want to include new bearings and the removal tool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I posted a page back about budget flats and ended up going with the Spank Spikes instead. It's more than I wanted to spend, but in the long run I'm sure I'll be happier in the long run than buying a budget pair of flats.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post
    I posted a page back about budget flats and ended up going with the Spank Spikes instead. It's more than I wanted to spend, but in the long run I'm sure I'll be happier in the long run than buying a budget pair of flats.
    Oh, you're gonna love the Spikes! I still can't believe the bruising I give these things every ride and I've only replaced ONE pin so far...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement pins online, I already used the extras that came with the pedals. I tried jenson but they didnt have the small pins. I have the HT-Evo A01 flats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yem999 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement pins online, I already used the extras that came with the pedals. I tried jenson but they didnt have the small pins. I have the HT-Evo A01 flats
    Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online is where I ordered mine. You can also try the hardware drawers at Home Depot or Lowes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online is where I ordered mine. You can also try the hardware drawers at Home Depot or Lowes.
    You just need to know the sizes then you can get the pins easily from many places. My local Home Depot doesn't carry much metric stuff so I ordered from eBay. The stock grub screws are M3x8 (I replaced with M3x6 to produce more concavity on the pedal surface) I think the through bolt pins are also M3, not sure of the length.

Also bear in mind the stock pins are aluminum, so a rock strike here or there means you're crushing/tearing pins often. I also have a set of Point1 Podiums (steel pins) and I haven't replaced a single one yet. Steel is a touch heavier, but worth not having the hassle of extracting and replacing mushed up alu pins all the time.

mtbr member
    how long DU bearing/bushings last depend on riding condition and how good is the seal
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

i suppose youre right on the seal, but the last set of pedals i had w/ the shitty seals & shitty CS put a bad taste in my mouth. 25 to 30 miles and bushings shouldnt break down into pieces

mtbr member
    sounds like heat built up just shattered the DU, there are 2 most likely reasons for heat to build up, lack of lubrication or something(dirt, mud) trapped in between the DU and spindle, either ways you will see a lot of wear or even black marks on the spindle.

both DU setup and sealed bearing pedals all have there dis-adv and advs .

DU pedals(Canfield crampon , vp-001, VP vice ) is much easier and simpler to maintain , but it needs constant take apart, clean and regrease if lots of dirt and mud gets in the spindle. it needs it even without dirt and mud , otherwise you can feel play in the spindle depending on how much pedaling time you got. once the DU or spindle is worn out , you might as well just buy another set of pedals if its not those $150 dollar ones.

sealed bearing pedals will last longer in muddy/dusty riding without any maintenance , it will last almost forever if you rarely get dust in spindle. but when you change the bearings, you need small size bearing puller , it would take a lot more time to change the bearings , also the pedal body can be damaged if the bearings doesnt go in or come out straight.

i hope i didnt miss anything and someone will find this helpful
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    sounds like heat built up just shattered the DU, there are 2 most likely reasons for heat to build up, lack of lubrication or something(dirt, mud) trapped in between the DU and spindle, either ways you will see a lot of wear or even black marks on the spindle.

both DU setup and sealed bearing pedals all have there dis-adv and advs .

DU pedals(Canfield crampon , vp-001, VP vice ) is much easier and simpler to maintain , but it needs constant take apart, clean and regrease if lots of dirt and mud gets in the spindle. it needs it even without dirt and mud , otherwise you can feel play in the spindle depending on how much pedaling time you got. once the DU or spindle is worn out , you might as well just buy another set of pedals if its not those $150 dollar ones.

sealed bearing pedals will last longer in muddy/dusty riding without any maintenance , it will last almost forever if you rarely get dust in spindle. but when you change the bearings, you need small size bearing puller , it would take a lot more time to change the bearings , also the pedal body can be damaged if the bearings doesnt go in or come out straight.

i hope i didnt miss anything and someone will find this helpful
    Anyone know which type the DMR Vaults are... and any comments on experience with them with regard to maintenance or bushings/bearings issues?

nope, no dust, water or mud. i packed em before maiden voyage as they were sent with lil grease in them. must have been a QC issue but i was never dealt w/ in a professional manner so i wrote the company off and moved on. there were many pedals stock piled on a suppliers counter w/ same issues. maybe i will try DU bush pedals again due to everyone migrating that way, but im very happy with my f20's with a several hundo miles and no maintenance. ride em in the worst of the worst also.

mtbr member
    ive always wipe the grease on DU and repack them with very thick synthetic marin grease just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    nope, no dust, water or mud. i packed em before maiden voyage as they were sent with lil grease in them. must have been a QC issue but i was never dealt w/ in a professional manner so i wrote the company off and moved on. there were many pedals stock piled on a suppliers counter w/ same issues. maybe i will try DU bush pedals again due to everyone migrating that way, but im very happy with my f20's with a several hundo miles and no maintenance. ride em in the worst of the worst also.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    Anyone know which type the DMR Vaults are... and any comments on experience with them with regard to maintenance or bushings/bearings issues?
    Vaults (and a lot of pedals in fact) are both. There is a bearing at the end of the axle and a bushing next to the crank with a simple O ring seal.

Maintenance wise, not much to be honest. The axle/bearings/seals are much the same as V12s, if you ride a lot or in bad weather you'll likely need new bushings once a year, the bearings run and run. Taking them apart to change a bushing is dead easy too.

marine grease is all i use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Vaults (and a lot of pedals in fact) are both. There is a bearing at the end of the axle and a bushing next to the crank with a simple O ring seal.

Maintenance wise, not much to be honest. The axle/bearings/seals are much the same as V12s, if you ride a lot or in bad weather you'll likely need new bushings once a year, the bearings run and run. Taking them apart to change a bushing is dead easy too.
    I don't do much of any riding in bad weather (I'm never in mud) - so odds are these are zero maintenance for me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    I don't do much of any riding in bad weather (I'm never in mud) - so odds are these are zero maintenance for me?
    There's no such thing as zero maintenance! But certainly low maintenance.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    7 years on Wellgo MG1s, never maintained. 5-6 years on ATAC ROCs, never maintained. Both sets are still spin great. Pretty close to zero in my book, unless you count putting grease on the threads as maintenance!

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    7 years on Wellgo MG1s, never maintained. 5-6 years on ATAC ROCs, never maintained. Both sets are still spin great. Pretty close to zero in my book, unless you count putting grease on the threads as maintenance!
    avg. miles per wk and what conditions?

perpetual pucker factor
    I have a few friends on the Canfield Crampons (both the ultimates and the originals). They use du bushings, and over time they do develop a tiny bit of play. When I say tiny I mean maybe a hundredth of an inch or so. Just enough to feel it with a hand, but not feel or hear anything while pedaling. The interesting part is that they tend to stay at that point for a very long time without maintenance. They just keep going and going. My bering pedals rolled very smoothly, but when they started to wear down, they were trashed very quickly. I have a new pair of ultimates, so I can't give a long term report yet, but I will update when I feel they have been properly broken in.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

meow, meow.
    I've been riding my Alu pinned Straitline AMPs in summer shoes (Shimano AM40) for a while now. Was worried about grip, shouldn't have. Grip is there. Less than with stock pins but sufficient. Beaten soles and calves are thankful for not so predatory pins. )

Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast